Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Bitmessage - P2P Messaging system based partially on Bitcoin - page 5. (Read 89814 times)

Activity: 249
Merit: 251
it is an useful feature to have the html displayed formatted, allows things like image sending, which might be a necessary feature for this to spread
but unfortunately as soon as you unselect the message you were looking at the display changes to unformatted and needs to be changed for seeing it formatted again, which is a barrier to general users

so is there a way to have it format html by default that is acessible to people not compiling their own clients?
ideally at some point this would be accessible through a checkbox in the settings, but for the time being is there a config to edit or something like that?

also, what would be nice for a future release is a image to base64 converter built into the client, that could vastly broaden the userbase for bitmessage

HTML content is purposely not displayed by default unless the user is white-listed, is in your address book, or you are subscribed to them.

It would be better for us to support attachments before we bother building in a base64 encoding mechanism. It would be more data-efficient also.
Activity: 59
Merit: 0
it is an useful feature to have the html displayed formatted, allows things like image sending, which might be a necessary feature for this to spread
but unfortunately as soon as you unselect the message you were looking at the display changes to unformatted and needs to be changed for seeing it formatted again, which is a barrier to general users

so is there a way to have it format html by default that is acessible to people not compiling their own clients?
ideally at some point this would be accessible through a checkbox in the settings, but for the time being is there a config to edit or something like that?

also, what would be nice for a future release is a image to base64 converter built into the client, that could vastly broaden the userbase for bitmessage
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
0xFB0D8D1534241423
You are able to encrypt the files separately, using a Truecrypt container or similar mountable encrypted filesystem.
Yup.... but things should be easier.
I'm not disputing that. It's a temporary workaround.

BTW: A "reply to channel" feature would be nice.
There was a pull request for something like that, but it never went anywhere.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019
You are able to encrypt the files separately, using a Truecrypt container or similar mountable encrypted filesystem.
Yup.... but things should be easier.

BTW: A "reply to channel" feature would be nice.
0xFB0D8D1534241423
legendary
Activity: 1135
Merit: 1161
It would be nice to be able to increase the font size... it's tiny.

There is no passphrase to enter, I wonder if that is safe. I guess it means that all data is sitting on my disk unencrypted (or at least keys are sitting there unencrypted).

Yes, they are (see keys.dat in the config folder).  There's been some talk from time to time about implementing a master password and I think it will happen at some time, but so far the keys are stored in the clear.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019
It would be nice to be able to increase the font size... it's tiny.

There is no passphrase to enter, I wonder if that is safe. I guess it means that all data is sitting on my disk unencrypted (or at least keys are sitting there unencrypted).
0xFB0D8D1534241423
Oh, seems that issue of bitmessage not starting the window was due to the working directory path.
C:\\Documents\\Username\AppData\pyBitmessage

My username contained russian letters.
I have changed that to latin and now it works!

We were working on something like this before. IIRC, the problem might be in the SQL library.
Activity: 26
Oh, seems that issue of bitmessage not starting the window was due to the working directory path.
C:\\Documents\\Username\AppData\pyBitmessage

My username contained russian letters.
I have changed that to latin and now it works!

Where is the PyBitmessage directory?

XP
C:\Documents\User\Application Data\PyBitmessage
0xFB0D8D1534241423
Where is the PyBitmessage directory?
Just reinstalled windows.
Nothing changed.
WinXP no window appears.
Please try renaming the PyBitmessage folder (which holds the messages.dat and other files) to something different. Do start by terminating the running Bitmessage process(es).

I've tried that. Didn't work.
Also there is no messages.dat in folder PyBitmessage
Please try renaming the PyBitmessage folder (which holds the messages.dat and other files) to something different. Do start by terminating the running Bitmessage process(es).
debug.log consist of

reloading keys from key.dat file
reloading keys from key.dat file

that's all
Running from XP.
Process does start but there is no any window or icon.
Version latest (0.4.1)
WTF?

You are the first person to report such a problem. If you want to provide the debug.log in the PyBitmessage folder, it might be of use.
Running from XP.
Process does start but there is no any window or icon.
Version latest (0.4.1)
WTF?
Activity: 149
Merit: 100
Ethereum
OSX users, note that Sophos will prevent bitmessage from working correctly. You need to disable Sophos 'live protection' option in preferences (Just like with TOR).
0xFB0D8D1534241423
Hi there,
Is this project still active? Last version update from October 2013, this forum thread not seems to be busy one.. Any news on BitMessage development?

EDIT: I see there is a lots of activity on github, any particular date when new stable version will be released? I rather wait for new stable version than compile it from github (with possible bugs).

Regards
Lenny

There's also the bitmessage forum which has activity:
https://bitmessage.org/forum/index.php/board,1.0.html
legendary
Activity: 1036
DARKNETMARKETS.COM
Thanks for your answer.
I am glad to hear about it, good luck with reviewing code!  Wink
Pages:
Jump to: