Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Bitmessage - P2P Messaging system based partially on Bitcoin - page 6. (Read 89814 times)

Activity: 249
Merit: 251
Yes, it is still active. I'm reviewing pull requests right now. The last binary release was in October because that is the last time we added "must have" features. In the source code is much more recent development.
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000
DARKNETMARKETS.COM
Hi there,
Is this project still active? Last version update from October 2013, this forum thread not seems to be busy one.. Any news on BitMessage development?

EDIT: I see there is a lots of activity on github, any particular date when new stable version will be released? I rather wait for new stable version than compile it from github (with possible bugs).

Regards
Lenny
Activity: 882
Merit: 501
Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong
Okay, my internet is awfully slow and it hurts when it uploads 100KBps. But at least now I know it's not a bug, Thanks for the heads up!

Just throttle Bitmessage with your firewall.

An option to restrict bandwidth should be included.
Activity: 784
0xFB0D8D1534241423
Okay, my internet is awfully slow and it hurts when it uploads 100KBps. But at least now I know it's not a bug, Thanks for the heads up!

Just throttle Bitmessage with your firewall.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348
Eadem mutata resurgo
Hello,

I'm one of the devs for Project Tox (http://tox.im)
It's a free, open-source encrypted p2p Skype replacement.

Feel free to visit #tox or #tox-dev on the freenode irc server.

Interesting, been waiting for something like this ... I think original skype was p2p also?
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Hello,

I'm one of the devs for Project Tox (http://tox.im)
It's a free, open-source encrypted p2p Skype replacement.

Feel free to visit #tox or #tox-dev on the freenode irc server.
Activity: 614
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091
I recently noticed my internet speed coming to a standstill. After looking at my system resources I could see that I was uploading about 100 KBps, which is A LOT for my slow internet. I don't know if I had faster internet if it would consume even more. Anyways, I pinned down the culprit, and it's Bitmessage.

What's going on?

It is a natural consequence of the relay-everything design.

Activity: 614
Merit: 500
I recently noticed my internet speed coming to a standstill. After looking at my system resources I could see that I was uploading about 100 KBps, which is A LOT for my slow internet. I don't know if I had faster internet if it would consume even more. Anyways, I pinned down the culprit, and it's Bitmessage.

What's going on?
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
Great program. Use it for almost 2 weeks now!

Activity: 900
Crypto Geek
just segfaults for me...

Oh great BitMessage overlords, can a poor non-programmer get a lowly Windows binary of bmgen?

(I have python but I don't know how to find and install "highlevelcrypto" for the error "ImportError: No module named highlevelcrypto".  I know enough to install python but not enough to import/install libraries.)

Edit:  Nevermind!  I just downloaded the bitmessage source code and put bmgen.py into the folder that had highlevelcrypto.py in it.  All worked wonderfully!  I know it's not the most elegant solution, but by God it spits out a vanity address, and I'm happy.  Now I just need to figure out how to import custom addresses....

Edit 2:  Nevermind again, I just opened keys.dat in a text editor and saw that it was pretty obvious how to import addresses.  I'm all set now.  Awesome.  Thank you everybody involved!!!!!

Edit 3:  It seems to do addresses that start with BM-2 or BM-2D really really fast, and everything else is super slow.  Is that some random anomaly on my part?
Activity: 192
Merit: 100
bitcoin-world.de - The european information source
Have tested this app. Its very very good. I will bring it to the german community nearer.
Activity: 365
Merit: 250
Note: If you loose your password, your account is lost!

LOSE not LOOSE

Wink
0xFB0D8D1534241423
I'm just learning about BitMessage now.  I love the concept of BitMessage: as described in the introduction to the white paper, it fills a very important need.  But, after reading Sections 3 & 4, the "proof of work" for spam mitigation seems wasteful (and annoying to wait 4 min for delivery).  We're asking everyone to waste money (work) to prove they aren't spamming, when perhaps we could just ask them for money (bitcoin) directly to offset the costs of running the service.  Then they can spam all they want because it is profitable to process/store their transmissions.  (EDIT: I see this idea has been discussed earlier in the thread).

I don't have a solution  Cheesy  but there must be some way to create a *free market* for private communication transmission/storage/delivery using bitcoins.

EDIT 2: I'm imagining that Alice broadcasts her message so that it is packaged with a little bitcoin treat that somehow gets unlocked when Bradley downloads it, and the bitcoins get paid out in some fair but competitive way to the nodes that helped out.  

This is a FAQ (or if it's not an asked question, it at least comes up frequently).

Proof-of-work is NOT for spam mitigation. Just like with email, spam catching is up to the client. This is why I prefer to integrate with Thunderbird.

Proof-of-work is for flood prevention. It makes it costly to try to DoS the network by sending lots of messages.
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007
I'm just learning about BitMessage now.  I love the concept of BitMessage: as described in the introduction to the white paper, it fills a very important need.  But, after reading Sections 3 & 4, the "proof of work" for spam mitigation seems wasteful (and annoying to wait 4 min for delivery).  We're asking everyone to waste money (work) to prove they aren't spamming, when perhaps we could just ask them for money (bitcoin) directly to offset the costs of running the service.  Then they can spam all they want because it is profitable to process/store their transmissions.  (EDIT: I see this idea has been discussed earlier in the thread).

I don't have a solution  Cheesy  but there must be some way to create a *free market* for private communication transmission/storage/delivery using bitcoins.

EDIT 2: I'm imagining that Alice broadcasts her message so that it is packaged with a little bitcoin treat that somehow gets unlocked when Bradley downloads it, and the bitcoins get paid out in some fair but competitive way to the nodes that helped out.  
legendary
Activity: 1764
Did you guys see http://flowingmail.com/ yet? I reached out to the devs & think their project can go far.

I'd rather go with mailpile.is which is already funded and in active development
0xFB0D8D1534241423
Did you guys see http://flowingmail.com/ yet? I reached out to the devs & think their project can go far.

Seems to me like there'd be a loss of anonymity.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076
staff
Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203
I support freedom of choice
Raised default demanded difficulty from 1 to 2 for new addresses
Added v4 addresses: pubkeys are now encrypted and tagged in the inventory
Use locks when accessing dictionary inventory
Refactored the way inv and addr messages are shared
Give user feedback when disk is full
Added chan true/false to listAddresses results
When replying using chan address, send to whole chan not just sender
Refactored of the way PyBitmessage looks for interesting new objects in large inv messages from peers
Show inventory lookup rate on Network Status tab
Added SqlBulkExecute class so we can update inventory with only one commit
Updated Russian translations
Move duplicated SQL code into helper
Allow specification of alternate settings dir via BITMESSAGE_HOME environment variable
Removed use of gevent. Removed class_bgWorker.py
Added Sip and PyQt to includes in build_osx.py
Show number of each message type processed in the API command clientStatus
Use fast PoW unless we're explicitly a frozen (binary) version of the code
Enable user-set localization in settings
Fix Archlinux package creation
Fallback to language only localization when region doesn't match
Fixed brew install instructions
Added German translation
Made inbox and sent messages table panels read-only
Allow inbox and sent preview panels to resize
Count RE: as a reply header, just like Re: so we don't chain Re: RE:
Fix for traceback on OSX
Added backend ability to understand shorter addresses
Convert 'API Error' to raise APIError()
Added option in settings to allow sending to a mobile device (app not yet done)
Added ability to start daemon mode when using Bitmessage as a module
Improved the way client detects locale
Added API commands: getInboxMessageIds, getSentMessageIds, listAddressBookEntries, trashSentMessageByAckData, addAddressBookEntry, deleteAddressBookEntry, listAddresses2, listSubscriptions
Set a maximum frequency for playing sounds
Show Invalid Method error in same format as other API errors
Update status of separate broadcasts separately even if the sent data is identical
Added Namecoin integration
Internally distinguish peers by IP and port
Inbox message retrieval API functions now also returns read status
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
For example, is there a reason why BM could not be implemented as a reliable-and-anonymous message channel by just building on top of a DHT such as freenet or similar? This would scale far better and we would not need to care about ACKs.
Freenet already has a mail system that does everything Bitmessage does, with stronger privacy protections.

Yes, and I2P has Bote, etc. Problems:

They are much heavier software with slower startup times and higher network load
No one-click setup
Java
Not specifically marketed as secure email
aslong you dont use orcale's java and use openjdk/openjre, java isnt a problem on the privacy/security way. tough i agree it isnt really suitable due to performance, it should be C Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: