Pages:
Author

Topic: announcement: the international "when-bitcoin-reaches 1000,- $ party" - page 52. (Read 309874 times)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250
may i dj for you guys then? every now and then i'll put in the beep from the blockchain lol
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106
welcome on board ffssixtynine, Gordonium, keystroke and EuroTrash !

@ffssixtynine/molecular/edd: charity is a must. i would say that it is a major component of this event. a significant part of ticket fees will be donated, any fundraising ON TOP OF IT would really great. we might as well aim for at least 100 k $. we need to find a common goal where to put the money -suggestions welcome (imho it should go towards unfortunate kids, but we will have votes for it. btw, not only is bitcoin democratizing banking, this btc-1k party will itself be a very democratic happening)

@edd/rassah: most definitly it is our eager goal that the party-project will only accept btc as payment and will only spend bitcoin without exchange also. i think waving around with such an astronomical freakin budget will be an convincing arguement for any service company to take the chance and start to accept btc.

i am really happy with the course our ship has taken. it started out as a crazy idea, but now we have brilliant members here contributing.

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
edd
donator
Activity: 1414
I'm a little concerned about the amount of BTC that will be converted to fiat to make this party happen. We should be working on getting vendors/caterers/venues/entertainers/hotels/taxis/limos/restaurants/bars in the area to start accepting bitcoins as payment.

That's a good point, but likely not that much of a concern. For one, there is already enough volume on the markets to absorb about $100k  a day without much pain, and that will only improve once BTC is worth $1,000. And two, we won't be spendiing the entire $1mil all in one day. If this is a correctly planned out party, there will be expenses and payments well before and a while after the party as well. Though it would be kinda funny if BTC hits $1,000, all the party bills are agreed on to be paid after the party is over, and as soon as the party is done, all the bill payments drive the price back down to under $1,000

It would be funny if this party influenced the bitcoin market significantly.

But I was more concerned about the message we would be sending. I'd be happier if we could pull it off without having to go through fiat middlemen, or at least converting as little as possible.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
I'm a little concerned about the amount of BTC that will be converted to fiat to make this party happen. We should be working on getting vendors/caterers/venues/entertainers/hotels/taxis/limos/restaurants/bars in the area to start accepting bitcoins as payment.

That's a good point, but likely not that much of a concern. For one, there is already enough volume on the markets to absorb about $100k  a day without much pain, and that will only improve once BTC is worth $1,000. And two, we won't be spendiing the entire $1mil all in one day. If this is a correctly planned out party, there will be expenses and payments well before and a while after the party as well. Though it would be kinda funny if BTC hits $1,000, all the party bills are agreed on to be paid after the party is over, and as soon as the party is done, all the bill payments drive the price back down to under $1,000
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
Sounds cool. After all we probably will be the new wealthy elite.

Speak for yourself. I have no money and no bitcoins... <.<   >.>
Activity: 756
Merit: 1000
Berlin. Massive party but also donations accepted in bitcoin for a charity or charities that accepts them. Not just a woohoo we have a few bucks party.

I think that's a good idea. Have some ways/action at the party to give to different charities. That way we don't look as much like rich assholes.

Rassah and I will both be there. If Phinnaeus and Jason (SeansOutpost) attend as well, that's the whole Bitcoin100 team. I'm sure we can come up with some kind of plan to raise bitcoins for charities. Maybe do a fundraiser and split the proceeds amongst all the charities we've convinced to accept BTC donations thus far.

That's a good point, another advantage of a Berlin venue. Whats the bitcoin infrastructure like in Frankfurt?
edd
donator
Activity: 1414
Berlin. Massive party but also donations accepted in bitcoin for a charity or charities that accepts them. Not just a woohoo we have a few bucks party.

I think that's a good idea. Have some ways/action at the party to give to different charities. That way we don't look as much like rich assholes.

Rassah and I will both be there. If Phinnaeus and Jason (SeansOutpost) attend as well, that's the whole Bitcoin100 team. I'm sure we can come up with some kind of plan to raise bitcoins for charities. Maybe do a fundraiser and split the proceeds amongst all the charities we've convinced to accept BTC donations thus far.

donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
Very cool. It would be very interesting for me to know how you came up with these numbers.
I was wondering the same thing? Sources?

I will open up a new thread for this, and use community-researched numbers as starting points. It is quite enlightening, I promise.

Also the conference security needs to be in top shape.
I'm against having a sauna!

We have to remember that sauna itself was not the problem, the problem was that the hotel did not take our security demands (basically: no access by hotel personnel except by our authorization) at all seriously - same thing happened in the subsequent security room suite #30.

I do understand that hotels like to have access to their own premises, but I do not understand, why they promise and do not deliver. It is not like they did not know, or were not aware. The negotiation concerning the deal between us and the hotel for the summit took several days, and even their CEO paid a visit beforehand.

During the event, our special requirements were only 2 A4-sheets, were given to be delivered to everyone in the hotel, and were posted even here in this forum.

There are many things that I don't understand and on top of the list is still, how could the best hotel in Finland fail so badly Sad

I had no intention to rant about that old stuff.. sorry. Just want you to know that anything can happen in a bitcoin meetup if the meetup is expected to have some actual content.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

This +21,000,000
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

donator

Activity: 756
Merit: 1000
donator
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

I didn't even know I was coming.

If Bitcoin hits $1,000 I will be there.  Grin Grin Grin

dear smoothie,
at the beginning a had a list of celebrity forum members that we needed to invite.
this list somehow merged into the list of people that wanted to come. please forgive this shameless account of using your shiny name for mundane reasons
& welcome  Kiss

if you/others know members that we need to have at the party - let me know!

I'm flattered. Definitely will make an effort to be there.

Smiley
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
I propose that single men pay double. Ladies are free. This encourages a more balanced gender distribution.

Edit: There is always room to put it nicer.

With such a high concentration of male nerds just become millionaires at the party, if word of it goes out, I would expect to see many husband-hunting "ladies" joining.

(hello everyone. Can I join the party?) Smiley
Activity: 900
Merit: 1014
advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe
Activity: 392
Sounds cool. After all we probably will be the new wealthy elite.
Activity: 364
Pages:
Jump to: