Pages:
Author

Topic: {ANNOUNCEMENT} WBX Exchange Frozen - page 11. (Read 45347 times)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
June 06, 2012, 07:03:03 PM
even a "can't help" from them

get this "can't help" in writing.

Yep.  While I don't think Andre would have a hope in hell of shifting legal liability to Chris if refunds were made in a manner not consistent with legal requirements, I'd still like to see Chris as protected as possible regarding the disbursement process without him having to shell out for legal advice.
Activity: 812
June 06, 2012, 06:54:40 PM
even a "can't help" from them

get this "can't help" in writing.
June 06, 2012, 06:47:24 PM
Chris, it might be worth you making contact with ITSA for advice on how to proceed.  Explain to them that you have control over the only known assets of an insolvent sole trader although you were not involved in operating the business itself, that adequate business records for establishing the amounts owed do not exist and that you do not feel comfortable making any disbursements without appropriate authorisation.  Make sure you explain that you have no reliable means of contacting those who may be owed money.

They have a toll-free number which some overseas callers can use.

http://www.itsa.gov.au/dir228/itsaweb.nsf/docindex/Contacts-%3EContact%20us#overseas

You can also make an email enquiry.

[email protected]

It's possible that they may not be able to assist you, but even a "can't help" from them establishes that you tried to seek appropriate guidance on how to proceed.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330
June 06, 2012, 03:26:19 PM
I received a PM from a WBX user:

Hi Chris, I just wanted to contact you and let you know where I stand with wbx. I am owed $180 from a cash deposit that never even showed up on my wbx account. This was deposited on the 24/02/12 annoyingly after the site ceased trading.
You're a great man for sticking around. I wouldn't of blamed anyone for washing their hands of the btc and all this carry on so thanks.

I hadn't thought of these kinds of liabilities.  So not only to we have BTC and AUD balances on the site, we also have withdrawals that were never really paid out, and now deposits which were never credited to the WBX accounts.

I've no idea how it's possible to get an idea of the total liabilities when I don't have any handle on the total amount of unpaid withdrawals or uncredited deposits.

Andre, you really need to step up and provide this information at the very least.
donator
Activity: 848
Merit: 1078
June 01, 2012, 10:16:02 AM
It's a real shame Andre didn't handle this better from the outset.  Given the relatively small total amount involved, it might have been possible to put together a rescue package which ensured users had most of their funds returned and Andre was able to walk away from WBX with no further legal liability.

Andre was offered that option but chose not to respond to it.

I suspected that might have been the case.  Good to have it confirmed, though.

I believe a number of people offered to help offer assistance or even take over the exchange. I know that for a fact as I was one of them.
June 01, 2012, 01:57:25 AM
It's a real shame Andre didn't handle this better from the outset.  Given the relatively small total amount involved, it might have been possible to put together a rescue package which ensured users had most of their funds returned and Andre was able to walk away from WBX with no further legal liability.

I suspected that might have been the case.  Good to have it confirmed, though.
Activity: 1138
Merit: 523
June 01, 2012, 01:49:41 AM

May 31, 2012, 05:16:14 PM
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
May 31, 2012, 05:11:44 PM
How many customers need to be paid out Chris?  If it's substantially more than the number who've contacted you through this thread, then maybe there needs to be a thread on reddit or some other places so customers who don't frequent here have some idea of what's going on.

85 accounts have more than 0.1 BTC or 0.5 AUD
65 accounts have more than 1 BTC or 5 AUD.
50 accounts have more than 10 BTC or 50 AUD.
13 accounts have more than 100 BTC or 500 AUD.

I've not counted the participants in this thread, but would guess it's around 15 or 20 at most.

It's a shame that Andre has somehow lost control of his website.  That would be the perfect place to announce what's going on.

I know when I started trading WBX it was a pretty small group, but it is only 85 that's still pretty small.  Also, the total below 10BTC/AUD50 is 35 accounts and would be a pretty small proportion of the total funds to deal with.  (One of the businesses I worked with last year we dealt to all the small accounts first, simply to make the more serious accounts easier to deal with without the noise of very small overdue ones.  It was an efficiency thing.)
legendary
May 31, 2012, 04:24:50 AM
How many customers need to be paid out Chris?  If it's substantially more than the number who've contacted you through this thread, then maybe there needs to be a thread on reddit or some other places so customers who don't frequent here have some idea of what's going on.

85 accounts have more than 0.1 BTC or 0.5 AUD
65 accounts have more than 1 BTC or 5 AUD.
50 accounts have more than 10 BTC or 50 AUD.
13 accounts have more than 100 BTC or 500 AUD.

I've not counted the participants in this thread, but would guess it's around 15 or 20 at most.

It's a shame that Andre has somehow lost control of his website.  That would be the perfect place to announce what's going on.
legendary
May 31, 2012, 04:15:52 AM
UNfortunately true. If Andre is not stepping up I only see the possibility to set a deadline until where people have to hand in claims. If no claims were handed in we would have to assume tehre is nothing else.

The problem with this is that it's quite possible there are customers who don't know about this thread.  I have no way of communicating with them.  I don't have contact details for most WBX customers.

I thought about this one, as well. There is no easy way for me to proove this. I see two possibilities: 1) I can forward you the complete mail correspondence with Andre incl. headers
2) I can prove on my account that the money never arrived. I'm not sure whether the Database stored to which account a payment should have been gone. if it's the case, it is easy to prove. If not, I can only show, that all payments went always to the same account, except for those mentioned above.

I do have all the withdrawal request details, so that could work.
donator
Activity: 848
Merit: 1078
May 31, 2012, 02:45:34 AM
I suspect he has gone again.  I have not heard anything via my lawyers despite his asking for contact details (and my providing them), and I don't think he is interested in providing any answers to some quite reasonable questions, let alone meeting any of his obligations. 

That leaves me in an awkward position.

I have the remaining Bitcoin assets of the exchange, but neither the authority nor the necessary information to distribute them to their rightful owners.

i wouldn't rush it. you don't want to be in a situation where you've distributed funds and then find out 3 months later that it was done incorrectly.

Thank you payb.tc, that is a very sensible comment.

In other liquidations, there can be a liquidator appointed, and that can be from the business or from the creditors.  A file of creditor claims would be made, and paid on.
For now, I'm comfortable with Chris just holding onto things.  If he is agreeable, we could provide evidence of claims over the next three months (say to 1 August) and if nothing else happens before then, he would distribute on that basis. 

I would even be comfortable contributing some coins to him for his efforts/troubles.
(does the database scrape you have include client contact details?)

I'm also comfortable with Chris managing the resolve of this. I've also offered a donation for his continued efforts in the resolve of this. Much less can be said for Andre's efforts in both managing this situation to resolution and providing clear updates.
May 31, 2012, 02:32:37 AM
Activity: 395
Merit: 250
May 31, 2012, 01:53:19 AM
1) If he owes you an extra 1900 AUD alone, who knows how much extra he owes to all his other customers.  I was naively thinking that if the database showed a payment had been made, then the payment had been made.  Sounds like that's not the case.
UNfortunately true. If Andre is not stepping up I only see the possibility to set a deadline until where people have to hand in claims. If no claims were handed in we would have to assume tehre is nothing else.

2) Unless Andre steps up with a full list of liabilities, what's to stop anyone from claiming they are owed a similar amount?  I'm not at all saying your claims aren't honest, but the next guy's might not be.
I thought about this one, as well. There is no easy way for me to proove this. I see two possibilities: 1) I can forward you the complete mail correspondence with Andre incl. headers
2) I can prove on my account that the money never arrived. I'm not sure whether the Database stored to which account a payment should have been gone. if it's the case, it is easy to prove. If not, I can only show, that all payments went always to the same account, except for those mentioned above.
legendary
May 30, 2012, 09:10:20 PM
That was mine, yes. Actually it is additional ~1900 AUD that Andre still owes me. Please find below the original mail from him. I can also forward the e-mail to dooglus (for the header or whatsoever) please give me a shout and I will do so, potentially also witht he complete discussion with Andre.

Couple of comments:

1) If he owes you an extra 1900 AUD alone, who knows how much extra he owes to all his other customers.  I was naively thinking that if the database showed a payment had been made, then the payment had been made.  Sounds like that's not the case.

2) Unless Andre steps up with a full list of liabilities, what's to stop anyone from claiming they are owed a similar amount?  I'm not at all saying your claims aren't honest, but the next guy's might not be.

Andre really needs to make the total level of liabilities be known, else there's no way to fairly distribute the remaining BTC.
Activity: 395
Merit: 250
May 30, 2012, 03:05:43 PM
I received a private message:
Actually, it is around 1500 AUD more that he owes his customers. (Have to look up the number when I'm back home). I have made a withdrawal last year which was never actually paid out. I can forward the mail correspondence (or post them here in the forum) where Andre confirms the problems and that he still owes me the money - whatever you prefer. Just wanted to mention it in time.
That was mine, yes. Actually it is additional ~1900 AUD that Andre still owes me. Please find below the original mail from him. I can also forward the e-mail to dooglus (for the header or whatsoever) please give me a shout and I will do so, potentially also witht he complete discussion with Andre.
Attached his mail:

Hi XXX,

Sorry for the late reply, My accounts Department has confirmed the following is held withdraws by our Bank.

date/time       Amount   trans Ref
02:02am 25NOV    $499.98     8212
04:06am 26NOV   $499.97     8231
07:44pm 27NOV   $400.96     8246
07:51pm 30NOV   $499.96     8257

We will process these withdraw amounts as soon as the investigation has completed, unfortunately we have no indication when this will happen though we will advise you as soon this information becomes available, thank you for being patient XXX as you will be aware we have loss a lot of volume and business due to this issue, we hope to sort this issue in a timely manner.

Andre Jensen
[email protected]
legendary
May 29, 2012, 01:08:39 AM
From memory, when you sign in with OpenID (even if you do it through Google or another service) it asks you whether you want to share your email and your username for that service with the site you're signing into.  It's possible that at least some users elected to do this and so they might be contactable in a roundabout way if that information can be retrieved.

I looked into that at the time.  It turned out that I had the option in the code of either:

* only accepting users who check the "let them see my email address" box, or
* never getting email information from any user

I couldn't find a way of allowing users to decide whether to send their email or not, and still having them be able to register even if they decided not to share their email address.  So it ended up just not asking for the email address.

I think you'll find that if a site that uses OpenID ever has the "share email?" option and you don't check it, then your sign-up attempt will fail.

There's no field in the WBX database for email addresses either.
May 29, 2012, 01:04:09 AM
an OpenID string

i'm not familiar with OpenID... what does an "OpenID string" look like? is it just random characters, like a hash?

It depends which OpenID provider you use, but it always looks like a URL.

If you use https://www.myopenid.com/ as WBX recommends you to, your OpenID string is:
  http://xxx.myopenid.com/
where xxx is the username you picked when you signed up for your myopenid account.

If instead you click the 'google' or 'yahoo' links, you get an ugly OpenID string containing a hash.  I've found no way of getting from the hash to the real google account name; there probably is no way to do it.  Examples:
  https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id?id=AItOawnltTjfGlqy1qsZr-pG-EdT46q4r0rfS0g
  https://me.yahoo.com/a/C9b5H60e24bhpJpUve31fJIsCQpQkcqR#232f1

Edit: I believe WBX shows you your own OpenID string towards the top of your profile page.

From memory, when you sign in with OpenID (even if you do it through Google or another service) it asks you whether you want to share your email and your username for that service with the site you're signing into.  It's possible that at least some users elected to do this and so they might be contactable in a roundabout way if that information can be retrieved.
legendary
May 29, 2012, 12:55:03 AM
an OpenID string

i'm not familiar with OpenID... what does an "OpenID string" look like? is it just random characters, like a hash?

It depends which OpenID provider you use, but it always looks like a URL.

If you use https://www.myopenid.com/ as WBX recommends you to, your OpenID string is:
  http://xxx.myopenid.com/
where xxx is the username you picked when you signed up for your myopenid account.

If instead you click the 'google' or 'yahoo' links, you get an ugly OpenID string containing a hash.  I've found no way of getting from the hash to the real google account name; there probably is no way to do it.  Examples:
  https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id?id=AItOawnltTjfGlqy1qsZr-pG-EdT46q4r0rfS0g
  https://me.yahoo.com/a/C9b5H60e24bhpJpUve31fJIsCQpQkcqR#232f1

Edit: I believe WBX shows you your own OpenID string towards the top of your profile page.
Activity: 812
May 29, 2012, 12:37:55 AM
an OpenID string

Pages:
Jump to: