Author

Topic: [ANN][SHIFT] The New Web | IPFS/Phantom | ShiftNrg.org Hosted Decentralized! - page 131. (Read 547569 times)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
It's good to hear you guys have the situation under control. Changing the block reward to 2 shift every 25 seconds should encourage more miners to secure the network in the meantime. Once the problem is resolved and the network is more secure will the block reward be changed back to the 1 shift per 25 seconds?

This is what I love about shift, the devs and news folk are always on the ball, their response time is fantastic, I love it.

IMHO, the reward will drop back down after a little bit of evolution to the parameters of the ecosystem, but it isn't for me to say if or when.

Thanks, we are valuing every member of our community and will always keep you up to date as much as any way possible. This isn't a centralized development group, it's a group effort and your support for us matters.
Activity: 165
Merit: 100
INTERIM UPDATE AUG 17 | INCREASING BLOCK REAWRD

Today has been a very busy day as we have been working tirelessly to find out what caused the
anomalies seen on our blockchain that prompted Bittrex to intervene and shut down our market.

What happened?

About 16 hours ago, we received a message from Bittrex informing us that they had seen some
suspicious transactions that tripped their security and disabled the wallets and suspended trading.

We corresponded with Richie and quickly found out that we have fallen victim to what appeared
to be a double spend / mining attack where a user was able to send coins to Bittrex, sell them
and then have them reappear in his wallet. A brief investigation revealed a huge hashrate spike
on our network which confirmed this theory.

Quickly after all this, amidst all the confusion, we have been contacted by the person who was
responsible, stating he was one of a group of developers working on a closed project that mined
a private testchain for SHIFT which got accidentally released to the public.

It's really great to see that Bittrex has security measures like this in place. It shows that the are
really on the ball and makes me that much more comfortable using them. Great to see that there
has been communication between all parties involved, and that things have been worked out.

Any news about when Bittrex will enable the wallet and trading?

In other news, I have been very occupied with non-crypto activities the past couple months. I have
a bit more free time now and able to spend some of this time with SHIFT.
It's good to hear you guys have the situation under control. Changing the block reward to 2 shift every 25 seconds should encourage more miners to secure the network in the meantime. Once the problem is resolved and the network is more secure will the block reward be changed back to the 1 shift per 25 seconds?

We haven't made a decision about the future, for now we are hoping the increased block reward & profitability as well as our marketing efforts will attract more miners to secure our chain beyond the point that an attack is highly unlikely.

Activity: 273
With the low network hashrate, shift network will always be susceptible to the same attack and now that bittrex disabled trading, mining shift will be more like for fun, to see you mine block after block.
Activity: 165
hi. i have 240 mh. But i want to mine solo, and dont know how to do it =)
Can you plz connect with me ([email protected]), who have free time and good mood =))
I do not understand what i need download, how registr and what and how to run mining. I know nothing.
Only exp pool mining Ξthereum. My bad english, sry.
Thank you  Wink

I'd suggest checking ExEric3's post and trying that first.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.15608268

If you have trouble syncing the blockchain, try a Shift 3.0.1 binary, to sync and then upgrade to 3.1.0.

I had trouble syncing the chain with the 3.1.0 from scratch, (compiled from github).
Activity: 273
I think trading is going to be permanently disabled. Sad it resulted to something this.
Activity: 55
Merit: 0
I added some of my hash rate to SHIFT.
Joined the slack. (looks like I missed a lot)

Now I understand the case with weird appearance of Lock_n_loaded.
Exuse the FUD in previous posts.

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

This is what I love about shift, the devs and news folk are always on the ball, their response time is fantastic, I love it.

IMHO, the reward will drop back down after a little bit of evolution to the parameters of the ecosystem, but it isn't for me to say if or when.
Activity: 30
INTERIM UPDATE AUG 17 | INCREASING BLOCK REAWRD

Today has been a very busy day as we have been working tirelessly to find out what caused the
anomalies seen on our blockchain that prompted Bittrex to intervene and shut down our market.

What happened?

About 16 hours ago, we received a message from Bittrex informing us that they had seen some
suspicious transactions that tripped their security and disabled the wallets and suspended trading.

We corresponded with Richie and quickly found out that we have fallen victim to what appeared
to be a double spend / mining attack where a user was able to send coins to Bittrex, sell them
and then have them reappear in his wallet. A brief investigation revealed a huge hashrate spike
on our network which confirmed this theory.

Quickly after all this, amidst all the confusion, we have been contacted by the person who was
responsible, stating he was one of a group of developers working on a closed project that mined
a private testchain for SHIFT which got accidentally released to the public.

Being longer than the official best height chain and given the relative weakness of our overall
net hash in contrast to the 6 GH employed by the developers caused this chain to be chosen as
the dominant one.

For security reasons and to avoid imitations of this attack, the exact details of the process will
not be made public.

As this all unfolded we corresponded with Bittrex with both parties agreeing to keep the wallet
and markets disabled until we would be certain the attack could be mitigated.

We communicated with the developer, who was very helpful in finding the cause, and provided
a plausible explanation and proof for his claims. He assured us what appeared like an attack
was just an accidental mistake and they would avoid such a thing in the future. Furthermore he
assured us he was already in touch with Bittrex sorting out their missing balance.

Where does that leave us?

We can only admit choosing to reduce the block reward cutting it effectively by 75% was a too
aggressive decision. Moving on from here we are employing two solutions to avoid incidents like
this. First we have received a great amount of support from our community with several people
offering to point their personal rigs to SHIFT for the time being. At the same time Bitcause has
pledged to donate several hundred MH to our network until we have leveled out and can be sure
any further unwanted activity has seized.

At the same time we will be increasing the miner incentive by changing the block reward to
2 coins, effectively doubling the mining profits
from the previous levels.

Exchanges and pools have been notified, a new release of GShift for immediate update is
available
here.

Please update as soon as you can, this is mandatory. The new block reward will go into
effect at block 674100, at about 16:30 PM UTC+2, tomorrow Aug 18th.

I'm sure there are many questions left so don't hesitate to ask here or join us on Slack. What is
most important to us is that the chain is safe for now, we have no permanent damage and most
importantly no user balances were corrupted.

Is your slack channel invite only? PM sent

You can find a slack invite on their website shiftnrg.org

Thanks for the help, we'll make sure to have a big "Request invite here" button on the new ANN as that seems to fly by most people Wink

Activity: 30

You can find a slack invite on their website shiftnrg.org
Activity: 10
what is going on? is shift hacked? blockchain is still moving, but trading is not possible at bittrex. Any news?

No, it seems like I was right about a post I took down yesterday, it's just out of an abundance of caution I believe,
I noticed on the chain explorer that one pool had over 70% hashrate supremacy, this is somehow bad for the chain and security. diversity is key. Now, the network hashrate is still low, I believe the amount of miners is in the 2 digits, so, if say one larger miner migrates or decides to mine ETH it can create a vaccum of pool distribution. Not necessarily malicious, and I notice a more diverse distribution this morning, a new pool, nice n' spaced out.

maybe we should get the miners to make an active attempt to monitor the network, create a 3 extra pool .bats, not like migrating should give you a couple day's hang-up anyway. this is good for the pools too, because it's good for the chain.

We apologize for the silence over the day, we were actively working on finding and understanding the root and effects of the issue, coordinating with pools, miners and exchanges what has happened.

We will have an update out in a little while but in short nothing was hacked, the chain is healthy and no user balances were harmed.

Please check back later to keep up to date or join us on slack if you have any questions.
Activity: 83
Merit: 10
what is going on? is shift hacked? blockchain is still moving, but trading is not possible at bittrex. Any news?

No, it seems like I was right about a post I took down yesterday, it's just out of an abundance of caution I believe,
I noticed on the chain explorer that one pool had over 70% hashrate (supremacy), this is somehow bad for the chain and security. diversity is key. Now, the network hashrate is still low, I believe the amount of miners is in the 2 digits, so, if say one larger miner migrates or decides to mine ETH, or even a power or service outage, it can create a vacuum of hashrate distribution. Not necessarily malicious, and I notice a more diverse distribution this morning, a new pool, nice n' spaced out.

maybe we should get the miners to make an active attempt to monitor the network, create a few extra pool .bats, not like migrating should give you much of a balance hang-up. this is good for the pools too, because it's good for the chain.

*edited*
Activity: 160
Bittrex suspended trading of shift.

What's going on?

Can the dev team please contact us asap?  

thanks
richie@bittrex

Richie share some info please.

The network is currently experiencing what looks like a malicious miner trying to flood the blockchain.

Bittrex has disabled the wallet as a precautionary measure. We are investigating and working alongside Bittrex on mitigating the issue.

We are monitoring the progress and are actively trying to find a solution.

Tell Ritchie to check his email - an email was sent to both support and him personally.

And who are you Lock_N_Load?

It is not important but while we are on the subject, who are you?

A user Smiley who is a bit confused why member of the dev team would reply in this topic from a brand new account.

As you can see it is very important who you are Smiley Not many newbies around here reply to Bittrex in the name of the dev team Smiley

Not once did I say I was part of the Dev Team- I am not part of the Dev Team I am trying to help them with the problem at hand.  

On the flip side, I am 100% sure that is not your only account my friend.  If you look at your history it tells the story of someone that has been on a while.  So like you, I am hiding.
Activity: 55

What's going on?

thanks
richie@bittrex

The network is currently experiencing what looks like a malicious miner trying to flood the blockchain.

Bittrex has disabled the wallet as a precautionary measure. We are investigating and working alongside Bittrex on mitigating the issue.

Tell Ritchie to check his email - an email was sent to both support and him personally.

A user Smiley who is a bit confused why member of the dev team would reply in this topic from a brand new account.

As you can see it is very important who you are Smiley Not many newbies around here reply to Bittrex in the name of the dev team Smiley
Activity: 643
Merit: 501
Crypto Mentat

It's really a mystery  Cool
btw you could use PMs to get acquainted  Smiley

What's going on?

thanks
richie@bittrex

Jump to: