Author

Topic: [ANN][VTR] vTorrent - Share with freedom | 2FA | HD | @Bittrex - page 110. (Read 436160 times)

legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001
Crypto since 2014
Just a Shower Thought - but could the current client unlock the BitTorrent tab or something else at block 1,200,000?  Shocked
Thats what we hope will happen.
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
Just a Shower Thought - but could the current client unlock the BitTorrent tab or something else at block 1,200,000?  Shocked
Activity: 405
Merit: 250

December 31 1:12:30 am
December 31 4:24:30 am
December 31 5:28:30 am
December 31 6:18:30 am
December 31 7:29:30 am
December 31 10:49:30 am
December 31 1:45:30 pm
December 31 3:13:30 pm
December 31 5:53:30 pm
January 1 0:14:30 am
January 1 0:48:30 am
January 1 1:42:30 am
January 1 2:28:30 am
January 1 3:09:30 am

January 1 0:54:30 am

December 31 8:24:30 pm

December 30 10:58:30 pm

December 30 11:32:30 pm
Activity: 646
Merit: 501
Ni dieu ni maître

Shit, all of my earlier guesses are for the 31st or later. I'll have to rely on one of these.

You clowns better not go back and edit your posts Tongue

Based on the times the devs have done releases in the past, perhaps we should have done a guessing game based on that instead of block time.

lol, I know just the forum where we can do that since we didn't do it here!

But that can be a fun game for the next hardfork in February / March.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

Shit, all of my earlier guesses are for the 31st or later. I'll have to rely on one of these.

Based on the times the devs have done releases in the past, perhaps we should have done a guessing game based on that instead of block time.
Ni dieu ni maître

I stopped guessing after the 10th. That was what you meant when you discussed the closing date right?

I like that little buy wall Cheesy

We're having an extended sale period.

Guess multiple times to take account of the lost days - so 1 per day between 10th and today, but you can post them in one go.

Let's run this up to 28th Dec

Cheesy

That's what 13 missed guesses + 5 more after today? Alrighty, here it goes!

13 missed guesses. 5 more to come later this week!

December 29 at 5:59:00 am
December 29 at 4:00:01 pm
December 29 at 7:00:05 pm
December 29 at 9:24:26 pm
December 29 at 11:03:40 pm
December 30 at 1:24:09 am
December 30 at 12:20:30 am
December 30 at 2:24:52 am
December 30 at 3:09:10 am
December 30 at 10:50:00 pm

December 31 at 5:10:00 am
December 30 at 3:08:08 pm
December 30 at 2:02:16 pm

December 30 at 7:00:09 am

Last guess. December 30 at 11:45:07 pm

Activity: 178
Merit: 100
Nodes That Serve
Well, I've backed up my wallet multiple times as well. Nothing we can do but wait at this point.

I was also under the impression the dev was releasing a new wallet due to the above post and as you say coins, that can be done whenever. Only 2063 blocks left or so! At least we know whether we won VTR or not Cheesy

I think you'll find those VTR's are mine: 12/30/16 9:58 AM
Ni dieu ni maître
Well, I've backed up my wallet multiple times as well. Nothing we can do but wait at this point.

I was also under the impression the dev was releasing a new wallet due to the above post and as you say coins, that can be done whenever. Only 2063 blocks left or so! At least we know whether we won VTR or not Cheesy
legendary
Having said all that...I was expecting a new wallet to appear:

Dear all,

Today, marks the second anniversary of our vTorrent project!

To this date, not only our project development still going strong, our Community continues to grow as well.

Innovation projects are said to fail 90% of the time, but I strongly believe in an importance of a solid foundations to be vital for the success of any projects.

To celebrate the annual anniversary, a major new version of the client that incorporated many new features will be released to public in about 2 weeks.

Specifically thanks to all of those strong supporters of our project.

Regards,
vTorrent

So while we might all hard fork to 0.8xxx version most of us are running, we might also get a new wallet too.  When? Well, that can happen when it happens.
Activity: 522
Merit: 500
Based upon discussion with Coins101 and myself we've come to the following semi-conclusion:

• PoSv2 will automatically occur at block 1,200,000 (in about 36-48 hours or so)
  • By all indications PoSv2 should occur similar to ShadowCoin from which VTR is based upon; the code looks similar and as such it is unlikely something bad would occur
  • Any client running 0.8.x or later should be fine
  • If you run a 0.7.x client you will not be a part of the hardfork--please upgrade your wallet
  • According to the block explorer there is one client running 0.7.x--please upgrade if your IP is 51.9.90.x
  • By our understanding Bittrex (the exchange) already runs a 0.8.x wallet so should ideally transition fine
  • By our understanding Cryptoguru (currently our block explorer) already runs a 0.8.x wallet so should ideally transition fine
  • If you haven't done so already--BACK UP YOUR WALLET.DAT FILE

Coins 101 and myself have both made backups of the blockchain should anything unexpected occur and I invite others to do the same so that we have some form of consensus to roll back to if anything bad does occur (not expected, however it pays to have an umbrella if you by chance get rain)

Please keep in mind that you can backup your wallet at any point in time by simply hitting File > Backup Wallet

EDIT: Also please read Coins101's valuable advice on hardforks: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.17336463

So a few things to take note of during a fork.

* Backup your wallet.dat
* Check your computer clock and your 2FA device clocks have the same time
* Don't send coins from an old client if there is a new official client
* Don't send coins until devs confirmed network is ok
* Don't let hackers scam you into clicking on a link - usually by quoting a link from a dev but swapping out the real link
* Download from official sources only - the official github, choose latest
* Don't use an exchange unless they have confirmed they are updated and have confirmed which fork they are running
* Use the Riot channel for support, but report any potential scammers to the mods within the vTorrent Riot channel
* I doubt anyone will have a vTorrent Classic fork, yet. Don't go joining some fake shake thread
* Delete your peers.dat file once upgrade is confirmed by devs. The file will form again
* Read devs forking instructions, twice
legendary
Assuming that it auto-forks I've taken a backup of the current blockchain on my computer on about 5 separate drives

Is auto-forking a "thing"? Do any other coins employ that method of forking. Seems weird. Would the old version's executable file stop working and then download the new one?

Just discussing this on Riot....it's not clear, but we think that the last VTR release already included everything needed for this hard fork, so running the latest client might mean we all (those of us running the latest client) might just fork to a new chain and anyone on older clients, e.g 0.7.xxx might just get left behind on a fork that will eventually die.

Trouble is, we are just speculating.

What's New

This release focused on enhancing our core client in all areas including HD wallet and implementing 2fa to ensure security of users token, along with planned hard-fork to the network in order to add features to our protocol to prepare for later development.

-Version bumped to 0.8.1 to indicate a new major release
-Bumped protocol version to 80016
-Implemented 2fa
-Added new DNS seed
-Added new Checkpoints
-Added CheckLockTimeVerify (BIP65)
-Added BIP44, BIP39, BIP32 support
-Added CLTV
-Asynchronous Indexing

Scheduled hard-fork:
-Posv2 at Block 1200000
-Posv3 at Block 1300000

https://github.com/vtorrent/vTorrent-Client/releases/

The wording in the last release could be interpreted as - run this because it's going to be a hard fork client on block 1,200,000
Ni dieu ni maître
Assuming that it auto-forks I've taken a backup of the current blockchain on my computer on about 5 separate drives

Is auto-forking a "thing"? Do any other coins employ that method of forking. Seems weird. Would the old version's executable file stop working and then download the new one?
legendary
So a few things to take note of during a fork.

* Backup your wallet.dat
* Check your computer clock and your 2FA device clocks have the same time
* Don't send coins from an old client if there is a new official client
* Don't send coins until devs confirmed network is ok
* Don't let hackers scam you into clicking on a link - usually by quoting a link from a dev but swapping out the real link
* Download from official sources only - the official github, choose latest
* Don't use an exchange unless they have confirmed they are updated and have confirmed which fork they are running
* Use the Riot channel for support, but report any potential scammers to the mods within the vTorrent Riot channel
* I doubt anyone will have a vTorrent Classic fork, yet. Don't go joining some fake shake thread
* Delete your peers.dat file once upgrade is confirmed by devs. The file will form again
* Read devs forking instructions, twice

wondering how the vTorrent works with bittorrent? sounds like an interesting idea, but anything concrete working?

Nothing yet. Waiting for the upcoming forks which may or may not have working bittorrent integration.

Nothing yet? so everything is just speculations and hope? Do devs have some concrete plan to make it happen? do they know exactly how this will work? I hope it is not a high level dream only...

Unless block 1200000 has a fixed fork in the current client, they can announce anytime they are ready. Could be tomorrow, could be next week. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

vTorrent-Client/src/chainparams.cpp

Code:
       nLastPOWBlock = 97000;

nFirstPosv2Block = 1200000; // Hardfork v2
        nFirstPosv3Block = 1300000; // Hardfork v3

bnProofOfWorkLimit = CBigNum(~uint256(0) >> 20); // "standard" scrypt target limit for proof of work, results with 0,000244140625 proof-of-work difficulty
        bnProofOfStakeLimit = CBigNum(~uint256(0) >> 20);
        bnProofOfStakeLimitV2 = CBigNum(~uint256(0) >> 48);

I'm not a programmer so I don't know what it technically means; but yes it is hardcoded into the client (whether that means it'll actually for or not, I do not know)

Its also referenced for the testnet (which has presumably been running for testing):
Code:
        nFirstPosv2Block = 110;
        nFirstPosv3Block = 500;

bnProofOfWorkLimit = CBigNum(~uint256(0) >> 16);
        bnProofOfStakeLimit = CBigNum(~uint256(0) >> 20);
        bnProofOfStakeLimitV2 = CBigNum(~uint256(0) >> 16);
Activity: 784
Merit: 272
wondering how the vTorrent works with bittorrent? sounds like an interesting idea, but anything concrete working?

Nothing yet. Waiting for the upcoming forks which may or may not have working bittorrent integration.

Nothing yet? so everything is just speculations and hope? Do devs have some concrete plan to make it happen? do they know exactly how this will work? I hope it is not a high level dream only...

Unless block 1200000 has a fixed fork in the current client, they can announce anytime they are ready. Could be tomorrow, could be next week. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Ni dieu ni maître
Will it be possible to set up a VPS that hosts certain files and seeds them and then set up a reward address to be paid out to for seeding?

That way one could seed a bunch of files without keeping them all on their computer where storage may be limited. Then you could possibly set up multiple VPS servers with a bunch of files, and make a steady passive income that way (along with staking on your normal wallet).

@Dev if this isn't planned but is possible, I think it would be a good way to get more files up on the platform. We can have someone here do the documentation for set up.

e1ghtspace makes some great videos
Ni dieu ni maître

The torrent features are supposedly already developed. However, the devs are working on some anti-cheat systems to ensure that people are really seeding and not faking it. Hard fork coming soon should reveal more about where things stand and where things are headed.
Activity: 938

Activity: 405
Merit: 250

December 31 1:12:30 am
December 31 4:24:30 am
December 31 5:28:30 am
December 31 6:18:30 am
December 31 7:29:30 am
December 31 10:49:30 am
December 31 1:45:30 pm
December 31 3:13:30 pm
December 31 5:53:30 pm
January 1 0:14:30 am