Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][WEBD][CPU][POW&POS] 🌍 WebDollar - Currency of the Internet | in browser - page 28. (Read 43671 times)

Activity: 1015
Merit: 289
Straight out of telegram chat :d

WebDollar.io - Alexandru Budisteanu:
A few days ago we encountered 2 types of attacks.

1. One out of 40 Genesis wallets was stolen - via a malware we believe now.
2. Botnet attack for increasing to ~ 1 GB/s the Global Difficulty blocking network for 2 hours. This had been done by somebody with a powerful Computation Power. After 60 hours of straight coding, we were able to finally solve all the attacks damages. We did an update on experimental pools and now in the main network too. The update contains two updates 1. Hard fork to "cancel" the effect of ALL transactions sent by the attacker using the Stolen Wallet. 2. Network optimizations for preventing other 50%+1 to change the Network Global Hashrate (difficulty). Right before doing the update, someone which was in our intranet did cut our internet connection and then after we connected directly to the internet our computers was attacked with ddos.

The blockchain was secured and resisted all the above attacks. Everything works perfectly fine now and the script that "cancel" the effect of the transactions was in place during this fork. I want to add the fact that the transactions are still on the Blockchain because even we can not alter the Blockchain, but the new set of rules "cancel" the effect of those transactions and recover the entire sum.

This is bullshit. A 51% attack cannot be used to steal money from a wallet, only the private key owner can sign the transaction. The developers are lying big time.

This text has been captured in the Telegram chat where things have been probably explained in an unclear way. An official statement would probably been redacted better.
Even if the mechanics of what has happened is not totally clear from this text, my personal impression is that the competence and proactivity shown by the team to successfully repair the damages of the attacks are quite obvious, which is proved by the fact that everything's fine now.
Activity: 19
Merit: 0

2. Botnet attack for increasing to ~ 1 GB/s the Global Difficulty blocking network for 2 hours. This had been done by somebody with a powerful Computation Power. After 60 hours of straight coding, we were able to finally solve all the attacks damages. We did an update on experimental pools and now in the main network too. The update contains two updates 1. Hard fork to "cancel" the effect of ALL transactions sent by the attacker using the Stolen Wallet. 2. Network optimizations for preventing other 50%+1 to change the Network Global Hashrate (difficulty). Right before doing the update, someone which was in our intranet did cut our internet connection and then after we connected directly to the internet our computers was attacked with ddos.

The blockchain was secured and resisted all the above attacks. Everything works perfectly fine now and the script that "cancel" the effect of the transactions was in place during this fork. I want to add the fact that the transactions are still on the Blockchain because even we can not alter the Blockchain, but the new set of rules "cancel" the effect of those transactions and recover the entire sum.

This is bullshit. A 51% attack cannot be used to steal money from a wallet, only the private key owner can sign the transaction. The developers are lying big time.
Activity: 236
Merit: 11
The mode of digging coins directly in browsers must be very popular. WebDollar coin project has the opportunity to achieve breakthroughs in this field.
Activity: 42

Well, these stats look very good indeed, it seems that the experimental pools have already achieved half of the global hashrate.
That is completely wrong!
You have a button there on the right that also includes in the graphs the "Other miners". If you click that you will see the real distribution of mined blocks, not only the top 25 miners.

You are right. Then my previous analysis may still be right, alas.
By the way I've noticed that the experimental pool has stopped to work, at least on my computer..

Yeah, we had 51% attack and now we're working to improve the network for protecting on this kind of attacks.

Ouch, that hurts, I hope this experience can help making the network for secure for the future. How much hashing power must this bad actor have put in place to carry on such an attack? But in fact, if we look closely, the big players (server farms?) who have recently boosted the global hashrate 10X probably have always had the power to launch a 51% attack, if they wanted. I had been warning about them for other reasons, but now this event has raised the problem of possible excessive centralization of mining to a new level.
Activity: 232
I wish this project will be useful. A rather interesting website, arguable job, flawless website!

Thank you!!

No installations and no downloads but somewhere the coins need to be stored. Only in web wallets then?

The website is creating for you automatically an wallet. But you can create others by yourself. The wallets are stored using indexeDB in your browser and you have the option to download them for cold storage.

So this is a testnet, right? The coins don't actually count?

Nope, is the main net.
Activity: 350
Merit: 104
No installations and no downloads but somewhere the coins need to be stored. Only in web wallets then?
Activity: 322
Merit: 100
So this is a testnet, right? The coins don't actually count?

Well, these stats look very good indeed, it seems that the experimental pools have already achieved half of the global hashrate.
You have a button there on the right that also includes in the graphs the "Other miners". If you click that you will see the real distribution of mined blocks, not only the top 25 miners.

By the way I've noticed that the experimental pool has stopped to work, at least on my computer..

Yeah, we had 51% attack and now we're working to improve the network for protecting on this kind of attacks.

Activity: 420
Merit: 102
Will the browser minihg use cpu or GPU power and how important is it to have good specifications hardware?
Activity: 1622
Merit: 270
Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game
Yes, now are stable. We will release this night referral experimental program for preparing the main release.
Did you mean the polar night? Cheesy
Activity: 77

The pools having been announced for May and being still not available in July is something which is probably now decimating the community. I guess that by now most if not all of the individual miners have left while only one or two big data centers are mining webdollars, centralizing coin ownership more and more. The end effect is the same that you would get with a pre-mined coin: when Webdollar will be finally minable by normal people, these normal people will have to face the evidence that a huge stack of coins is all in the hands of one or two single players, just as in the case of pre-mined coins. Not exactly the best way to start - more likely the worst one. In the end, webdollars may still get successful and achieve mass adoption, but for sure the team has chosen the worst way to launch the project, when the necessary tech (pools are absolutely necessary) was still not ready.

Not really centralized by farms. We release experimental mining pools for allow all miners to start mining. You can see here https://www.webdscan.io/stats statistics about mining. https://image.ibb.co/bDdie8/ssss.png The mining chart is very well distributed among our users. Even the great BTC in the begging was developed by the community step by step. I have to remind you all we don't have any budget for this project for developing it with the speed of light. We're doing our best to help the project to get into the right tech point for being able to start promoting the project. We need just to have patience and to deliver a well final product without bugs for being able to start our journey.

Well, these stats look very good indeed, it seems that the experimental pools have already achieved half of the global hashrate. However, I had tried to mine in the first experimental pool that you had published but I had to stop after a few days after realising that the coins would disappear after a while. Why would that happen? Is this stable now?

Yes, now are stable. We will release this night referral experimental program for preparing the main release.
The pools having been announced for May and being still not available in July is something which is probably now decimating the community. I guess that by now most if not all of the individual miners have left while only one or two big data centers are mining webdollars, centralizing coin ownership more and more. The end effect is the same that you would get with a pre-mined coin: when Webdollar will be finally minable by normal people, these normal people will have to face the evidence that a huge stack of coins is all in the hands of one or two single players, just as in the case of pre-mined coins. Not exactly the best way to start - more likely the worst one. In the end, webdollars may still get successful and achieve mass adoption, but for sure the team has chosen the worst way to launch the project, when the necessary tech (pools are absolutely necessary) was still not ready.

Not really centralized by farms. We release experimental mining pools for allow all miners to start mining. You can see here https://www.webdscan.io/stats statistics about mining. https://image.ibb.co/bDdie8/ssss.png The mining chart is very well distributed among our users. Even the great BTC in the begging was developed by the community step by step. I have to remind you all we don't have any budget for this project for developing it with the speed of light. We're doing our best to help the project to get into the right tech point for being able to start promoting the project. We need just to have patience and to deliver a well final product without bugs for being able to start our journey.

Well, these stats look very good indeed, it seems that the experimental pools have already achieved half of the global hashrate. However, I had tried to mine in the first experimental pool that you had published but I had to stop after a few days after realising that the coins would disappear after a while. Why would that happen? Is this stable now?

We're working to finish pools this week for the official pools with referral release and bounty program

So, tomorrow is the last day of this week and pools will be ready 100% ?

We're very close with the code, we finished the referral system and now we have to integrate the protocol in the interface and here we are. We will add facebook on the bounty program and then we will be ready to release

Activity: 77
Stop throwing garbage, if you want to test the pools connect on the experimental:
https://webdollar.ddns.net:9094/pool/0/WebDollar%20Experimental%20Pool/0.02/WEBD$gCGdPQLohdeHQqa+ptoJ@QK2LCvN7IS5JX$/93ba881950314cca579d4f8699a6bc67695ec7292bceadb6f6709b70beba774a/https:$$webdollar.ddns.net/https:$$robitza.ddns.net:9095

Bugs do appear from places you never expect so things are moving along with fixing them + promised features (in paralel), you just have limited visibility.
Activity: 1622
Merit: 270
Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

We're working to finish pools this week for the official pools with referral release and bounty program

So, tomorrow is the last day of this week and pools will be ready 100% ?
Pages:
Jump to: