Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][YAC] YACoin ongoing development - page 72. (Read 379983 times)

Activity: 260
Merit: 251
it sure looks nice, but adapting it for yac seems kinda challenging given most things are hardcoded in multiple places. also, i don't like the prospect of running Yet Another leveldb alongside the electrum's with essentially the same data. (and neither do i like node.js Tongue)
Hi Sairon

levelDB shouldn't phase you.  Have you seen my video on building a static leveldb library, at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1U1cBx6Ub0? Grin  Should be easy to port back to gcc.  Bitcoin has been doing it since ~0.8.0  YACoins data only seems to be about 300MB / year?

And do you know what a famous pundit said about scriptaculous & other javascript "frameworks"?  I was at a NFJS conference and the (anonymous speaker) said they appear to him to be a "steaming pile of code" Shocked Grin

Ron

Activity: 406
Merit: 250
One does not simply mine Bitcoins
Wink
so, i'm writing the electrum-based block explorer myself now, mostly out of boredom (and also due to lack of volunteers).
the code is a major mess and still WIP (eg. no search box and no address handling so far), so consider this an early alpha preview.

http://yacoin.unsha.net/

PS: i know that i suck hard at writing javascript

That looks real nice! I throw my hat into the battle of the block explorers with my brand new super fast address balance
look up with transactions:

http://explore.grokonet.com
Hi Groko

It's nice to see someone who can still write HTML Wink  One can easily add a "smidge" of Javascript to that html that would "ask" for a new block every ~30 seconds or ~minute or what ever time period you like.  It could even be "done with AJAX". 

Where is the server getting its data from, might I ask?  Is it an "ABE" YACoin talking to a yacoin daemon on the server?

Ron
I've done something similar with my prototype explorer, though it's using websockets instead of polling the server every x seconds, which is imo cool. The browser support still sucks, however (and my html&js skills, too, for that matter Grin - guess i'll just focus on finishing the damn electrum client finally in my next coding session).

just a reminder: i'm still looking for buzzword javascript web dev to do a simple front-end for a block explorer. (jquery, angular.js, twitter bootstrap or whatever you prefer; websockets required)

and there i was hoping it would be up & running by the end of the month, silly me Undecided

have you looked into the insight block explorer's
https://github.com/bitpay/insight
it sure looks nice, but adapting it for yac seems kinda challenging given most things are hardcoded in multiple places. also, i don't like the prospect of running Yet Another leveldb alongside the electrum's with essentially the same data. (and neither do i like node.js Tongue)
 Wink
so, i'm writing the electrum-based block explorer myself now, mostly out of boredom (and also due to lack of volunteers).
the code is a major mess and still WIP (eg. no search box and no address handling so far), so consider this an early alpha preview.

http://yacoin.unsha.net/

PS: i know that i suck hard at writing javascript

That looks real nice! I throw my hat into the battle of the block explorers with my brand new super fast address balance
look up with transactions:

http://explore.grokonet.com
Hi Groko

It's nice to see someone who can still write HTML Wink  One can easily add a "smidge" of Javascript to that html that would "ask" for a new block every ~30 seconds or ~minute or what ever time period you like.  It could even be "done with AJAX". 

Where is the server getting its data from, might I ask?  Is it an "ABE" YACoin talking to a yacoin daemon on the server?

Ron
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
Those are really useful features no one focuses on...they just assume bitcoind works 100%.
Thanks and props!
fwiw, maxpower has updated the mac client of yacoin.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=216672.0;all
Yacoin, one of the few truly undervalued altcoins.
Keep up the great work, dev—it's not going unnoticed.
Great news thanks!  Can someone verify that everything works as expected, and post the sha1sum of the version you used? 
Has anyone been able to verify/test the Mac wallet?
I know one person with a Mac, my retired father - I can't picture that ending well... I was honestly happy the day he got a Mac - it meant an end to being tech support for him!
+1,  (lol)

but on another note, I have some additions to the UI experience, not the underlying workings of YACoin.  It is too late ATM tonight to do battle with GitHub, but here are some of the additions I have done and tested on the Windows (gcc and MSVC++) builds of YACoind and the gcc YACoin-qt.

http://youtu.be/C8GvHpjbAnM
YACoin is also mentioned in the end of the last of the short video series I did on building static libraries for MSVS, Bitcoin and YACoin and others, see (from message # 2119)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFnWb0ttBBMLyUuniLp3PJ5Mn4tVUlliZ

What's not shown is one more addition to the code, to enable wallet.dat to change its name, to anything!  And to be anywhere on your computer.  I don't have a video, but it would cover something like this:

In YACoin.conf (or on the command line) for Windows (#ifdef WIN32) versions of YACoind (MS), YACoind (gcc) & YACoin-qt (gcc) there is a new optional walletpath argument.  I don't have Linux or a Mac, so I can't test it on other OS's.  That is why I "guarded" it with the WIN32 test, but it should work with any OS.

walletpath can take a full or partial path (or just a filename) to an existing 'wallet.dat' file or a non-existing name to create a new wallet with that new name.  If it's a partial path or just a name, the code 'falls back' to using 'datadir' to compose the full path, which is what the normal code does anyway.

The 'wallet.dat' name can be any legal filename!

One thing one can do with this capability is run the wallet off of a USB memory drive and never have it on the hard drive of the computer!

Change wallets by editing a line in YACoin.conf, without losing the other wallet, which is the same as running the same blockchain with different wallets.

Perhaps an odd use of running the same wallet on different blockchains?

All one needs to know is how the BerkeleyDB code is written in Bitcoin/YACoin, etc.

In YACoin, the wallet code expects a blkindex.dat and (possibly) a  database/log.0000000nnn file in the directory with the wallet file, 'wallet.dat' or whatever you want to rename it!

The blockchain, I think, is in the 'datadir' directory, wherever that is on your computer, and it expects to find a blk0001.dat and perhaps a peers.dat and the ability to have a .lock file.

There is some connection, I believe, but again there is no documentation, on the relationship between the 'datadir'/blk001.dat file and the blkindex.dat and (possibly) a database/log.0000000nnn files in the walletpath which now can be a separate directory!

Perhaps YACoin can soon (?) have multiple wallets on one block chain?  Built in!  Without an RPC connection?  Or with one?  Can you see an "exchange" kind of application?  Or other possibilities?

Is there any interest in these additions?  I have found it very useful for testing as a developer and as a user, and have been using this code on my Bitcoin MSVC++ and gcc versions for some time Smiley

Ron

YAC: Y3ZggXDvnRJaRwtVGyGJwt6DMLN3EPQpQf
Activity: 693
Merit: 500

Great news thanks!  Can someone verify that everything works as expected, and post the sha1sum of the version you used? 

I know one person with a Mac, my retired father - I can't picture that ending well... I was honestly happy the day he got a Mac - it meant an end to being tech support for him!
Activity: 802
Merit: 1003
GCVMMWH

Activity: 693
Someone tried to adjust yacminer for r7 240 4gb on N-15 ? currently N=14 3Kh/s

maybe.  Cool
Activity: 33
Merit: 0
Someone tried to adjust yacminer for r7 240 4gb on N-15 ? currently N=14 3Kh/s
Activity: 516
CAT.EX Exchange
What to do with my pool miners when N increases? Leave them running or restart them?

Cpu or gpu?

I normally restart on n changes...if I don't it does funky things.

Two GPUs and one CPU.
What to do with my pool miners when N increases? Leave them running or restart them?

Cpu or gpu?

I normally restart on n changes...if I don't it does funky things.
Activity: 516
CAT.EX Exchange
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1012
★Nitrogensports.eu★
I'm currently mining jackpotcoin, and buying coins with the proceeds...but I might go back to straight yacoin after N 15 is here. Cheesy

It will be here before we know it.  Smiley

Next Nfactor change at Sat May 31 2014 10:13:52 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) local time, that's in 4d 06h 44m 28s, Nfactor will be 15 (N value of 65536) and 8 MB of memory needed to compute one hash.
I'm currently mining jackpotcoin, and buying coins with the proceeds...but I might go back to straight yacoin after N 15 is here. Cheesy
Activity: 809
Merit: 501
It's not the most profitable for cpu atm, but it's always decent at best.
Monero's up there.

I think you told me heavycoin was good at one point too. But with this difficulty drop / reward increase, I'll just say it will be interesting. The theory is that the AMD 2gb cards will drop off pretty significantly. I'll be expecting a prompt update on this thread from you ivan on how well the 750ti fairs. I know you will be all over it haha.
It's not the most profitable for cpu atm, but it's always decent at best.
Monero's up there.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1012
★Nitrogensports.eu★
Are you mining this coin with a CPU ?
I am.  I haven't redid the calculations recently, but YAC was the most profitable CPU coin to mine for the longest time.  It might be worth someone to make a calculator to show the 'most profitable CPU coin.'  If I have time I can try to give it a crack.
Activity: 637
And let's just emphasize the fantastic, consistent profitability of this coin to mine. Is it the most profitable coin to mine on the CPU? I'm not sure, but in about 5 days, it definitely will be--at least for a little time.

Are you mining this coin with a CPU ? My opinion is that it really doesn't matter how great the N or Nfactor is, this coin as any scrypt variant will always be more efficient to mine with a GPU or even an ASIC.
Again, I would love to see numbers on CPU profitability, last time I checked (couple Nfactors ago) it wasn't profitable at all.
Activity: 809
Merit: 501
I can count us with my my two hands...

1) I don't know if that is necessarily bad right now lol
2) Judging by the success of YBCoin and ZCCoin and volume at BTER (scam site!), I think there is some chinese investment behind the scenes to not overlook, especially in the mining realm. I think a Chinese translation of the OP is definitely in order.
3) After the meme contest, I have a little marketing idea I will try. I will keep you in suspense... just wait and see.

And let's just emphasize the fantastic, consistent profitability of this coin to mine. Is it the most profitable coin to mine on the CPU? I'm not sure, but in about 5 days, it definitely will be--at least for a little time.

I will also add that the inflation model could be the most ideal out there. My theory is that the NFactor along with the POW/POS setup will prove to be nearly perfect, and by the time it is realized, market penetration will make it too late for clones to try and steal the success.
I can count us with my my two hands...
Pages:
Jump to: