Author

Topic: [ANN][YAC] yacoin: yet another altcoin. START is now. - page 174. (Read 346684 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
so what are those 3 scrypt params? gpu got ddr5 yes however not alot of it Smiley so that can help cpu computers with large ram as conventional ram is cheap Smiley Taco can you provide link to that thread you mention?

N = memory/computation complexity factor
r = memory complexity factor
p = parallelization factor (1 = hardest)

Once you get into big memory sizes for CPU calculation of sCrypt hashes using either very large N or r values, you get get a massive dependence on memory bandwidth rather than any computational function.

Due to the curvature of space-time, this solution would obviously create a singularity that will swallow earth and then the rest of the universe.
Wink
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

Not really true. Space-time tradeoff will still allow efficient mining by fpga/asic/gpu.

Due to the curvature of space-time, this solution would obviously create a singularity that will swallow earth and then the rest of the universe.   

Cheesy

so what are those 3 scrypt params? gpu got ddr5 yes however not alot of it Smiley so that can help cpu computers with large ram as conventional ram is cheap Smiley Taco can you provide link to that thread you mention?
legendary
Also once released surely it wont take long fro gpu miners to twick miner? Anyone experimented with diff scrypt params here to see how cpu and gpu performs? Smiley

As long as gpu memory has way more memory bandwidth than cpu, gpu will be much faster regardless of N value, I would expect.  In fact, the greater the N value the greater a gpu will hash compared to cpu, because the dependence on memory bandwidth increases.

There is data on hash time in the memcoin thread, once you hit the ddr3 memory with a cpu it's clear that the bandwidth of dram limits you.
legendary
Another thing to note is that changing N changes the amount of memory required. This will (eventually) make gpu mining not worthwhile and much less efficient than cpu mining. ASICs and FPGAs (in their current renditions) won't even come close. This will be a coin ruled by fast memory, and lots of it.

Not really true. Space-time tradeoff will still allow efficient mining by fpga/asic/gpu.
Also once released surely it wont take long fro gpu miners to twick miner? Anyone experimented with diff scrypt params here to see how cpu and gpu performs? Smiley
so whats the exact release time in gmt say?
May 06, 2013, 07:52:41 PM
server time? Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1011
Looks interesting
legendary
Activity: 59
Merit: 0
how do we know he doesn't already have a GPU miner?

You don't. If it's easy to make one, then do so yourself. If it isn't, then either no one has one or someone spent a lot of time to make one and will therefore benefit.
Activity: 154
exactly. and you know what the best part is? if the N is smaller than 1024 as it is at the moment, the hashrate goes up -> 512 => 2x faster, 256 => 4x faster etc. be prepared for lightning-fast scrypt hashrates. (or slow. extremely slow Grin)

edit: tested it out, 512 gave 500khash on my 6870 (usually 250) on n=512.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
http://coin.furuknap.net/

This is one of the reasons why I asked for a pre-release source code to check on release what has changed. The manic rush when this coin goes online will be about as transparent as lead.

.b
Activity: 37
Activity: 59
scrypt(N,1,1) means no current miner software will work. Are you gonna release a patch miner? Are you gonna tweak it so your own version is so much better?

If no current miner software will work, how will we mine it?

I'm excited by this, I like coins that offer something new.

i hear you will simply click mine inside the wallet, not sure if you even need to make a conf file for it or not. Hopefully at launch will say exactly what to do. If its just open wallet and click mine a lot more people will probably use it.
that's the entire point of this coin. we get to use the shitty cpu miner while the dev will have a tweaked version of cgminer.

When the source code is posted, you can check what changed in the miner code and make the changes to the cgminer source yourself.
Activity: 28
scrypt(N,1,1) means no current miner software will work. Are you gonna release a patch miner? Are you gonna tweak it so your own version is so much better?

i hear you will simply click mine inside the wallet, not sure if you even need to make a conf file for it or not. Hopefully at launch will say exactly what to do. If its just open wallet and click mine a lot more people will probably use it.
that's the entire point of this coin. we get to use the shitty cpu miner while the dev will have a tweaked version of cgminer.
Activity: 185
Another thing to note is that changing N changes the amount of memory required. This will (eventually) make gpu mining not worthwhile and much less efficient than cpu mining. ASICs and FPGAs (in their current renditions) won't even come close. This will be a coin ruled by fast memory, and lots of it.
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167
MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

Activity: 154
yeah, that  was my question - isn't it like 5 rows to change? i hoped that the author or someone with more knowledge on the subject would chime in, i've never written anything in CUDA/CL and if the miner itself verifies the hash(es) returned from the gpu, the it would take a few tweaks there also. (actually, even if there is verification in application that deals with the data returned from GPU, i think there should be a miner with the possibility to skip the checks - if a win7 pc can host up to 8 GPUs, it should be easier to just submit the results than to recheck them before sending. maybe the miners don't do any kind of verification, i'm not familiar with the subject at hand)
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1001

Jump to: