Pages:
Author

Topic: Another ASIC company[Could be a scam?] - page 3. (Read 27334 times)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
April 24, 2013, 08:10:55 AM

So no, my MSc. in Eng. Design doesn't explain why it is possible to pay via Bitpay for a product that doesn't exist,

Well, it's a bit of a shame that you wrote all that text because unless this company acts in a way that does not reek of scam there is no discussion. People should just not trust them.
There is no way this company should take payments without having a product.
They admitted here that they don't have chips, nevermind the boards or a prototype.

Meanwhile the owner posts in a thread about another site (so we know he is following this forum with argus eyes) but completely fails to announce his business in a new thread where he can explain the situation.

Maybe you're new to the internet but anyone can create a site and facebook account.
There is absolutely no reason at all to trust this party at the moment. In fact, they give a fundamental reason to be suspicious.

If you can give a rational explanation for why they are taking money (and aparently have arranged a deal with bitpay) without actually having chips or prototypes then please go ahead. But without a proper explanation for this they should be considered a scam of some sort.

Another telltell sign of a scammy attitude is the fact that you can only pay in bitcoin, not in pounds or dollars. Bitcoins will probably increase in price in the near future and by the time the company has a working product they can ship bitcoins could easily have doubled in value. All the costs for making the product are counted in fiat so in the end, whatever the outcome, people that pay now will lose out.

Buyer beware.

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
April 24, 2013, 08:07:41 AM
Why is it you talk exactly like "GPU Rigs" does?
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
April 24, 2013, 07:41:56 AM
Ah you're the guy that doesn't bother to read posts thoroughly.

What my post stated and i'm now restating is that ASICrigs are prepared to sell me, a completely independent third party that lives within the UK working devices in person and pay in person with the money I currently hold in return for a documented review of the process, the product and themselves. Therefore there would be no risk to myself aside from a rather expensive train ticket and a day or two of my time, a journey i'm willing to partake for the benefit of all parties. There would also be no risk to ASICrigs as long as they are genuine in their intentions, and no risk to the Bitcointalk community (who as a prospective manufacturer they need on their side as well as an untainted social media page) unless they pre-order ahead of ASICrigs proving their intentions for an existing product.

Similarly previously in this thread (still mentioned on this page), in another post it appears you also haven't read is mentioned that a respected member of this forum (John K.) is willing to monitor and potentially refrain from releasing the funds in escrow of 5 members of this forum until such point as they are satisfied they are in possession of a working product at no risk to themselves. Admittedly they will only be able to report on the product and not the company/employees/facility or anything else I shall observe and document, but it's additionaly verifiable independant sources that add legitimacy to ASICrigs intentions to sell working products.

So no, my MSc. in Eng. Design doesn't explain why it is possible to pay via Bitpay for a product that doesn't exist, neither did my post concern that fact. The payment through bitpay is a new development, an option that wasn't available last week and a little odd as ASICrigs stated they wouldn't be accepting payment as they didn't have a product ready to sell. ASICrigs can you explain why you have decided to now accept payment via a payment means that offers no recourse on failure to deliver?  Huh

Paypal may take more fees, but at least the buyers are given 45 day protected payment to demand a refund, hence the reason BFL use them for pre-orders.

So with all due respect "mobodick", your facetious response falls flat when it is a reply unrelated in subject to a comment i've made. I merely posted to put people's mind at rest that they are willing to stand by their intentions and meet me in person. In any case give them a break and allow them to respond; they are willing to put their neck out, meet me, be scrutinised by me publicly (and fairly for all parties) and willing to deliver a handful of units stateside to members of this forum in return for honest reviews.

As a casual observer I certainly wouldn't be parting with funds, especially Bitpay, unless they have fulfilled these above promises of my delivery in person and via respected third party held escrow that they have agreed to.

April 24, 2013, 04:10:51 AM

I'm logically skeptical and naturally wanted to dig deeper. I hold a masters in Engineering Design and understand the processes involved in designing, outsourcing parts, building prototypes and taking a concept to market.

Hi

Did your engineering degree explain to you why it is possible to make actual payments through bitpay for the product they say doesn't exist?
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
April 23, 2013, 05:39:22 PM
Hi everybody, please allow me to offer my input as i've been having to constantly log in to this forum to reach the 4hour window prior to posting outside of the newbie forum. Realistically I joined today specifically to respond here.

GPUrigs/ASICrigs caught my attention the other week just after they created their site. I did some background and joined their Facebook page (yes they have one, here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ASIC-Rigs-Bitcoin-Mining-Rigs/235882613203743?fref=ts)

I'm logically skeptical and naturally wanted to dig deeper. I hold a masters in Engineering Design and understand the processes involved in designing, outsourcing parts, building prototypes and taking a concept to market. To be fair I never assumed their proposed aesthetic was anything other than a mock-up inline with the current status quo's expectation of what a miner should look like - especially with reference to the fact BFL have the most identifiable miner physically and they are having issues with power and heat to fit in their proposed chassis!

If you check their Facebook page you'll see;

1.They acknowledged the design was merely a mock-up and their site is NOT accepting pre-orders.

2. I exist, i'm a real person, and I have no connections to ASICrigs (aside personal interest) and was the second person to like their facebook page. (there's only three fans, so come on peeps, stop complaining and start behaving positively)

3. I'm from the UK and am willing to take a round trip (we are based in opposite parts of the country) at my expense to ASICrigs and be one of the first to purchase a 4/5 devices in person and report the experience if +ive or -ive, as long as ASICrigs are content with me paying in person, to therefore mitigate any risk on my part of loosing money via early adoption of products from a company of no prior Bitcoin miner production.  I will post my review here, on their facebook page and on my blog with video and pictures as detailed as possible for the community and to fulfil the promise to ASICrigs.

4. ASICrigs have agreed to let me to do this in reward for an independent third party review as stated. I'm a man of my word, so I shall.

I can see that some are quite aggressive throughout this thread which is a pity as ASICrigs do seem to be standing their ground integrity wise. Furthermore, it is somewhat upsetting to see that those most vicious in their criticism have neither read the thread thoroughly to distinguish between the two separate companies mentioned here (GXMining and ASICrigs), nor looked around their website to see the Facebook page where upon the above has been answered. It kind of smacks similar to the journalistic integrity shown by the negative press in mainstream media that haven't even undertaken the most elementary of research in reading Satoshi's White Paper - all 8 pages of it!

I'm personally very excited to see a new contender stick their neck out like this, determined to produce and willing to accept an independent party's review. As I said I certainly am a real person and you are welcome to contact me here or message me via FBook, I will keep detailed and thorough updates of how this progresses. I'm sure ASICrigs are more than aware of how much business they will receive if they succeed in creating a competing product.  BFL are currently centralising the process, and setting the rules. Avalon's few hundred miners are hardly disruptive in the scheme of things; my current main concern is the background of who ASICrigs owners are and what experience they bring to the table in realising this. That was my last query and I have been promised a response prior to last weekend. I really would expect at least one electronic engineer on board!

From my standpoint; I love an adventure and if I can derisk by purchasing in cash in person and provide adequate feedback for ASICrigs and the community than that legitimises them in my eyes. I will also see their set-up and look them in the eye (as well as provide video/photographic evidence that they and their future products exist), plus as I promised they'll get a drink out of it, so everyone's a winner!… Wink

So please give them a break unless you have something constructive to add/query; like what their backgrounds' are maybe…? Or perhaps technical insights that you feel would be an assistive contribution...

Regards, and best wishes, A.

P.s. With respect to ASICrigs it may help if you introduce yourself as a person with photo like BFL_Josh does. Putting a face person's name to the company certainly helps with customer service. You appear to have the thick skin for it!  Grin
Activity: 59
Merit: 0
April 23, 2013, 12:16:25 PM

I totally get the need for people to be cautious about their money, but this really is just beating a dead horse, everything that keeps getting asked has already been answered and there is nothing else I can say right now other than what has already said, as much as I would like to be able to say yes, on 27th May we will have 200 units, until we get chips (that work to spec) and are actually able to start the production process, I can't and I would be flat out lying at this point in time if i were to give you a solid date for shipping or when we will have the rigs on hand to even sell.

I fully agree that you that you shouldnt announce anything untill you are completely sure.
For  the record, i was addressing the OP that seems to sell a similar configuration to yours.
Moreover, you started meddling with this thread as if you were indeed the person behind the website in OP.
And the website in OP clearly states "In Stock And Ready To Ship".

If the site in OP is not yours then job wel done on making it look like that anyway.

I did start and introduction thread in the 'newbie' section Smiley

We never responded in this thread until someone bought it to our attention (via the sticky thread) that we were being called a scam... So yes, we will defend our company in any thread it is mentioned especially when we are grouped in with some companies that specifically do look like they could be scams.
If you actually read a few replies down, we get bought into this thread and accused of scamming, right now honestly it's difficult to make out who is being accused of what and by whom as this thread, along with the sticky thread at the top of the forum have turned into somewhat of a clusterfuck of accusations, arguments and speculation as everyone has basically gone crazy with this witch hunt and left all traces of common sense at home.

Sure.

Maybe next time you find such accusations you could open a proper introduction thread and just link there so discussion can stay focussed.

Meanwhile i can tell you that there are very good reasons for people to start screaming wolf when confronted with yet another ASIC startup, especially if they have nothing to show.
ASICs turned out to be a confidence game and the potential risks are very high.
There are far more offers of ASIC products than there are companies that actually deliver something.
If anything this community is fully correct to call out anyone without a shred of proof.

Don't be scared of them, they are like the anti-bodies of this community.
If you can deliver than i'm sure you'll have all the business you can imagine.
Being honest won't hurt you in the end but you will probably get a constant headwind untill you actually have a working product.

April 23, 2013, 11:24:37 AM

I totally get the need for people to be cautious about their money, but this really is just beating a dead horse, everything that keeps getting asked has already been answered and there is nothing else I can say right now other than what has already said, as much as I would like to be able to say yes, on 27th May we will have 200 units, until we get chips (that work to spec) and are actually able to start the production process, I can't and I would be flat out lying at this point in time if i were to give you a solid date for shipping or when we will have the rigs on hand to even sell.

I fully agree that you that you shouldnt announce anything untill you are completely sure.
For  the record, i was addressing the OP that seems to sell a similar configuration to yours.
Moreover, you started meddling with this thread as if you were indeed the person behind the website in OP.

If the site in OP is not yours then job wel done on making it look like that anyway.

If you actually read a few replies down, we get bought into this thread and accused of scamming, right now honestly it's difficult to make out who is being accused of what and by whom as this thread, along with the sticky thread at the top of the forum have turned into somewhat of a clusterfuck of accusations, arguments and speculation as everyone has basically gone crazy with this witch hunt and left all traces of common sense at home.

Sure.

Maybe next time you find such accusations you could open a proper introduction thread and just link there so discussion can stay focussed.

Meanwhile i can tell you that there are very good reasons for people to start screaming wolf when confronted with yet another ASIC startup, especially if they have nothing to show.
ASICs turned out to be a confidence game and the potential risks are very high.
There are far more offers of ASIC products than there are companies that actually deliver something.
If anything this community is fully correct to call out anyone without a shred of proof.

Don't be scared of them, they are like the anti-bodies of this community.
If you can deliver than i'm sure you'll have all the business you can imagine.
Being honest won't hurt you in the end but you will probably get a constant headwind untill you actually have a working product.

April 23, 2013, 09:45:45 AM

April 23, 2013, 06:26:51 AM

April 23, 2013, 06:21:11 AM
For the record, we have never said that our ASIC Rigs product line are in stock or ready to ship. Anyone that has told you otherwise are flat-out lying to you... Period.

Your quote is from the 'about us' section of our website, if you had bothered to look at the VERY FIRST section of text on the site you would have read the following...

Then the page in the OP (and the topic of this thread) is not yours?
What the hell are we discussing here then?
April 23, 2013, 12:21:13 AM
Hi,
Site sais: "In Stock And Ready To Ship"

In reality they don't even have ICs.

Why would a new company in a difficult market like this outright lie about such an important thing?

How do you know they don't have ICs? Did you VERIFY this by attempting to place an order or are you simply jumping on the bandwagon of morons making baseless assumptions?

I KNOW you did not order anything so you cannot claim they are "lying" because you have never dealt with them.

Why should this community trust a company that deliberately lies about their current capability to deliver a product?

I'm pretty sure they have nothing yet because they tell told us.

A prototype of what? Right now our primary focus is sourcing working ASIC chips that do what they are supposed to, we have not even started the build out process for the final rigs because until we have working chips, anything else we can 'show' will just be that, for show and not actually worth the pixels it would be presented online in.

Does this mean "In Stock And Ready To Ship"? I don't think so.

On their website they say: "With our first batch of mining rigs currently scheduled for production ASIC Rigs aims to be one of the first companies to deliver our products on-time, at a price that will suit most budgets of professional bitcoin miners."

But they said here they need to source them. Which means they haven't got a clue if there are chips scheduled anywhere. They are looking for them.
So that's another LIE btw.

Anyway, you go ahead and invest. It was your money.

What I actually said was we need to source chips that actually do what they are supposed to.

Meaning our current provider, that we are presently working with, has had several delays in getting us chips that are up to specification... Our specification, not theirs.
April 23, 2013, 12:15:14 AM
For the record, we have never said that our ASIC Rigs product line are in stock or ready to ship. Anyone that has told you otherwise are flat-out lying to you... Period.

Your quote is from the 'about us' section of our website, if you had bothered to look at the VERY FIRST section of text on the site you would have read the following...

The compact sleek designs, powerful hashing powers and easy to use interfaces make the ASIC Rigs range of bitcoin mining devices attractive to BTC miners around the globe. Manufactured using high grade ASIC chipsets and top-of-the-line materials, our first batch of powerful ASIC mining devices are currently scheduled for production with initial customer shipping estimated to take place in June 2013 for devices ordered before May 1st 2013.

As you can clearly see, we are not promising dates, we are not even promising if orders come in that we can currently deliver, all we are doing is telling people what we are working with timeframe wise based on the current status of our chips, as an estimate so people can judge whether they want to use an alternate provider and tie their funds up or, wait until we are ready to go live with our product line.

For the record, I have personally stated several times on this very forum that we are not ready to ship products yet, because right now we have no physical products on hand to ship, due to delays with the chip provider.

As to why our model mock-ups on the site look similar to the BFL range, yes, they do, as I have mentioned before (in this very thread I believe) they are mock-ups of what we are anticipating the final product to look like, that may change, it may not. We want our product line to look like others in the marketplace, right now all the talk is about the BFL line of miners so yes, that is what we are planning on modeling our range on look wise. This may change as the market changes, it also may not.

I do know that we are currently in the process of sourcing cases for the units that look exactly like the images on our site so the chances are, they will look exactly like they do on the website (although I believe dimensions may be slightly different) at the current time, once we find out how easy or difficult it is to source, create and construct these cases we (as a company) will have a much better idea of how the final product may or may not look and at that time, we will be able to let our potential customers know and change our mock-up images to better reflect the overall product line.

Again, thanks to everyone for allowing me the opportunity to address your questions and concerns about our ASIC Rigs product line, even though, again as mentioned before, these aren't even products we are actively promoting as yet (see signature if you are interested in GPU Rigs that can ship within 7-10 days of order).
April 22, 2013, 07:54:51 PM
Hi,

Why would a new company in a difficult market like this outright lie about such an important thing?

How do you know they don't have ICs? Did you VERIFY this by attempting to place an order or are you simply jumping on the bandwagon of morons making baseless assumptions?

I KNOW you did not order anything so you cannot claim they are "lying" because you have never dealt with them.

Why should this community trust a company that deliberately lies about their current capability to deliver a product?

I'm pretty sure they have nothing yet because they tell told us.

A prototype of what? Right now our primary focus is sourcing working ASIC chips that do what they are supposed to, we have not even started the build out process for the final rigs because until we have working chips, anything else we can 'show' will just be that, for show and not actually worth the pixels it would be presented online in.

Does this mean "In Stock And Ready To Ship"? I don't think so.

On their website they say: "With our first batch of mining rigs currently scheduled for production ASIC Rigs aims to be one of the first companies to deliver our products on-time, at a price that will suit most budgets of professional bitcoin miners."

But they said here they need to source them. Which means they haven't got a clue if there are chips scheduled anywhere. They are looking for them.
So that's another LIE btw.

Anyway, you go ahead and invest. It was your money.
Activity: 136
Merit: 100
April 22, 2013, 07:12:20 PM
Hi,

Speak for yourself bro...you don't represent this community any more than a turd represents success.

After you have place an order and do not received it within the time frame they state, AND they refuse to issue you a refund...only then would you have a reason (not a right, a reason) to come here and participate in this thread. Short of that, neither you nor anyone else has a basis for saying anything negative about them.
April 22, 2013, 01:07:44 PM
Gotta love this whole guilty till proven innocent vibe going on here. All speculation and not one fact.

Hi,

April 22, 2013, 03:30:20 AM
4:20 must be getting to you bro. You're a moron. How much money you have tied up with BFL?
This company is even worse - blatant rip off - website says they are "shipping and in stock" haha...wtf is wrong with you.

Wait, did you order one and NOT receive your order or are you just pulling this assumption out of your ass?

No, you did not order anything.

This company's product uses the same external case that the BFL website advertises - must be a blatant rip off...because there is NO WAY that the BFL and this guy source their cases from the same chinese manufacturer.

The ONLY reason a thread like this should appear on this website is if someone actually orders one and does not receive it - and we both know that is not the case.

Activity: 117
Merit: 10
April 20, 2013, 02:48:06 PM
Gotta love this whole guilty till proven innocent vibe going on here. All speculation and not one fact.

- Why do you care about the phone number? Are you including a phone number each time you send/receive bitcoins? NO? Then stfu.

- Why do you think that the address of the business must also be a manufacturing facility? What kind of asinine logic is that?? Seriously...most businesses that manufacture a product separate their office/administrative buildings and their actual factories. OR they outsource. Genius...pure genius.

- If you are so afraid of losing your precious "bitcoins" or real money, perhaps you should just duck out of this whole thing and go stick with your 9-5. Put your wallet on a floppy disk and tell your friends how coinrich you are, as you chill in your parent's living room.

- If you are not comfortable taking chances, doing YOUR OWN due diligence and making sensible choices then you're definitely playing the wrong game.

I'm so glad that the people in this thread can't vote otherwise their respective country would be on a slow and steady demise...oh...wait...nevermind...

These idiots don't seem to realize that their inane "scam hunting" is fueling the stigma of bitcoins. Many people who hear about bitcoins automatically assume they are a ponzi scheme because so much of the community is full people who thing "free and open" has to fit into their narrow, ignorant world view.

4:20 must be getting to you bro. You're a moron. How much money you have tied up with BFL?
This company is even worse - blatant rip off - website says they are "shipping and in stock" haha...wtf is wrong with you.
April 20, 2013, 12:20:43 AM

- Why do you care about the phone number? Are you including a phone number each time you send/receive bitcoins? NO? Then stfu.

- Why do you think that the address of the business must also be a manufacturing facility? What kind of asinine logic is that?? Seriously...most businesses that manufacture a product separate their office/administrative buildings and their actual factories. OR they outsource. Genius...pure genius.

- If you are so afraid of losing your precious "bitcoins" or real money, perhaps you should just duck out of this whole thing and go stick with your 9-5. Put your wallet on a floppy disk and tell your friends how coinrich you are, as you chill in your parent's living room.

- If you are not comfortable taking chances, doing YOUR OWN due diligence and making sensible choices then you're definitely playing the wrong game.

I'm so glad that the people in this thread can't vote otherwise their respective country would be on a slow and steady demise...oh...wait...nevermind...

These idiots don't seem to realize that their inane "scam hunting" is fueling the stigma of bitcoins. Many people who hear about bitcoins automatically assume they are a ponzi scheme because so much of the community is full people who thing "free and open" has to fit into their narrow, ignorant world view.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
April 19, 2013, 06:21:56 PM
Everyone just stop with these accusations. He agreed to ship the first five ASICs to five forum members (yes I'm first on the list) using escrow by John. Furthermore they are not taking pre-orders.

Of course they could be lying, but there is no obvious way they can scam (short of shipping me a product that breaks after 2 days Tongue) so how about we'll lave them be until they decide to start shipping? Good things come to those who wait.
Activity: 224
April 19, 2013, 04:53:13 PM
GPU Rigs, care to explain why your ASIC site has images taken from Butterfly Labs just like the scam site at the beginning of this thread?

Archival: http://puu.sh/2DbXO.jpg http://puu.sh/2DbYJ.jpg http://puu.sh/2DbZi.jpg http://www.asicrigs.com/2.png http://www.butterflylabs.com/upload/homepage/header.jpg

You even appear to have done image manipulation to try and make the most obvious signs of copying less apparent, which makes things more problematic than if you were just reusing images.

Here's my amateur analysis of the image. Red marks things that are present in both images, and black marks things that were apparently deemed too obvious to the naked eye and edited out, including the rather slipshod attempt at covering up the BFL logo, the tiling is easily apparent and I've placed black dots to mark each tile.

Reusing images: PR slip-up.
Reusing images and editing them beyond just removal of the BFL logo to try and make it hard for anyone to tell that they're reused: Weird.
Pages:
Jump to: