Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 152. (Read 355730 times)

Activity: 89
Merit: 10
Anyone have any luck with overclocking? I've been running 5 s2's at 225MHZ (EVGA 1300W PSUs) for 24HRs. Here's the 12HR average for 5 machines which, at the console, report 1150GH/s each.

You sure it took the change?  Those numbers dont look any better than stock.

We have not figured out how to get 225 in and have it stick.

What actual command get you the 225?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Looks like these have a shutdown in /sbin.

Try "shutdown -h -n now"

legendary
Is there any way of powering down that reduces the risk of corrupting the SD, or just pull the plug and pray?

Not that I've found. Haven't had a problem with the Batch 2 yet.

Also, I took one of the corrupted SD cards and made an image of it and sent it to the bitmain engineers. Hopefully it'll tell them something

It seems like sync and halt in the shell might help, but I can't seem to ssh into it the way I can into the S1s. Is there a trick to it?

user root pass admin

Ah, okay, different password.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Is there any way of powering down that reduces the risk of corrupting the SD, or just pull the plug and pray?

Also, I took one of the corrupted SD cards and made an image of it and sent it to the bitmain engineers. Hopefully it'll tell them something

It seems like sync and halt in the shell might help, but I can't seem to ssh into it the way I can into the S1s. Is there a trick to it?

user root pass admin
legendary

legendary
Well thank you my friend, but i'm concerned that i may actually be on the wrong track.....

Since a power outage earlier today, i've been busy reimaging the SD cards of two out of my three S2's.  The power outage knocked out two of them but the 3rd booted back up no problem.

I have now reimaged the SD cards twice, but i still can't get the machines to boot!

The lights of the BBB board all light up, but the blue activity lights do NOT.  This, to me, means the BBB board failed to boot for whatever reason.  In the past, it's been a corrupt SD card due to loosing power at a bad time, but i just can't seem to solve it this time.

I'm now imaging again using your just-uploaded version.  fingers crossed.

if this doesn't work, then what???

Format the card and image it, try to boot, if it won't boot take a few asic cards out so you can read teh BBB and eject the sd card while the unit is on, then put it back in, you'll see the ethernet lights cycle, I've had that make mine turn on before.

In other news, I did have a bad BBB that wouldn't write to the SD card. I replaced it with a factory BBB, that's what my machine is using now
legendary

legendary

Activity: 203
Merit: 100
Well thank you my friend, but i'm concerned that i may actually be on the wrong track.....

Since a power outage earlier today, i've been busy reimaging the SD cards of two out of my three S2's.  The power outage knocked out two of them but the 3rd booted back up no problem.

I have now reimaged the SD cards twice, but i still can't get the machines to boot!

The lights of the BBB board all light up, but the blue activity lights do NOT.  This, to me, means the BBB board failed to boot for whatever reason.  In the past, it's been a corrupt SD card due to loosing power at a bad time, but i just can't seem to solve it this time.

I'm now imaging again using your just-uploaded version.  fingers crossed.

Buy new SD cards
Activity: 471
Merit: 250
Just wondering ... anyone in the UK received their batch 2 S2 this week? ... what did you have to pay the UPS or delivery guy for Customs payment?

Like others, I'm waiting for batch 3 ...

... And then the fun of re-building a box that fell apart during shipping, lol  Shocked

Activity: 64

Since a power outage earlier today, i've been busy reimaging the SD cards of two out of my three S2's.  The power outage knocked out two of them but the 3rd booted back up no problem.

The lights of the BBB board all light up, but the blue activity lights do NOT.  This, to me, means the BBB board failed to boot for whatever reason.  In the past, it's been a corrupt SD card due to loosing power at a bad time, but i just can't seem to solve it this time.

I'm now imaging again using your just-uploaded version.  fingers crossed.

legendary

corrupt SD cards.  
twice now, i've gotten corruption on the SD card on one machine or another.  If there's a power cut, i cross my fingers and hope for the best.  chances are, at least one machine will need it's SD card removed and re-imaged.  Big thanks to the guy who posted a link in this thread to a copy of his SD card.  Although Bitmaintech has now posted updates to the firmware, they are in the format needed to update via the web gui - not directly image the SD card.

this problem is particularly concerning as there is no "shutdown" option in the GUI or button on the case.  just the power switch.  So each time you shut it off, you have a 50/50 change of buggering the software.... yikes.

If anyone has a step-by-step on how to image the SD card using Win32 Disk Imager and the downloadable "initramfs.bin.SD-20140410.tar" from Bitmaintech's new support page, it would be VERY helpful.  I'm using an image file someone posted much earlier in this thread, but it's the old firmware version.  

You're welcome (from earlier) and I've updated the file to be an image of the latest firmware, IP of 192.168.1.99

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16075357/bitmain.img.zip

Link is the same, so using the other posted link will grab the new firmware. It has my mining info in it, so be a gent and let it mine for a bit! lol

UPDATE: Here's the latest image with the most recent firmware from June. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16075357/S2firmware.img.zip  It's over 4GB so it won't fit on the stock card.
Activity: 635
Merit: 500

corrupt SD cards. 
twice now, i've gotten corruption on the SD card on one machine or another.  If there's a power cut, i cross my fingers and hope for the best.  chances are, at least one machine will need it's SD card removed and re-imaged.  Big thanks to the guy who posted a link in this thread to a copy of his SD card.  Although Bitmaintech has now posted updates to the firmware, they are in the format needed to update via the web gui - not directly image the SD card.

this problem is particularly concerning as there is no "shutdown" option in the GUI or button on the case.  just the power switch.  So each time you shut it off, you have a 50/50 change of buggering the software.... yikes.

If anyone has a step-by-step on how to image the SD card using Win32 Disk Imager and the downloadable "initramfs.bin.SD-20140410.tar" from Bitmaintech's new support page, it would be VERY helpful.  I'm using an image file someone posted much earlier in this thread, but it's the old firmware version. 

Just flash the image what 111 uploaded, then upgrade the new firmware from miner menu what you got from bitmain.

corrupt SD cards. 
twice now, i've gotten corruption on the SD card on one machine or another.  If there's a power cut, i cross my fingers and hope for the best.  chances are, at least one machine will need it's SD card removed and re-imaged.  Big thanks to the guy who posted a link in this thread to a copy of his SD card.  Although Bitmaintech has now posted updates to the firmware, they are in the format needed to update via the web gui - not directly image the SD card.

this problem is particularly concerning as there is no "shutdown" option in the GUI or button on the case.  just the power switch.  So each time you shut it off, you have a 50/50 change of buggering the software.... yikes.

If anyone has a step-by-step on how to image the SD card using Win32 Disk Imager and the downloadable "initramfs.bin.SD-20140410.tar" from Bitmaintech's new support page, it would be VERY helpful.  I'm using an image file someone posted much earlier in this thread, but it's the old firmware version. 
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
*Prays to Hathor for Batch 3 soon*
Activity: 203
Merit: 100

corrupt SD cards. 

can't power on.
This problem is unrelated to the software issue described above.  for some reason, there's some kind built-in protection in the power supply that prevents it from being turned off and on again quickly.  i guess this is a good thing, except it give the impression that the thing is dead until you leave it be for at least 15 minutes between powering off and on again.   Have not found any work-around.  Now that i've learned this, i know to expect it, but to the uninitiated it is a temporarily heartbreaker.

The Beagle Bone has that corruption issue, not sure why but it happened to me in the past so I knew right away to have an extra SD Card ready.

The 1000W Platimax would go into safety mode on my 15AMP circuits and it does take 3-4 minutes to reset by itself, I fixed that by replacing it with a 1350W Platimax & it runs on the 20AMP line now.
So i've had my three batch 1 S2's running for over a week now, and have some observations:

Stable. 
when they run, they run.  have not had the need to babysit them.

corrupt SD cards. 

can't power on.
This problem is unrelated to the software issue described above.  for some reason, there's some kind built-in protection in the power supply that prevents it from being turned off and on again quickly.  i guess this is a good thing, except it give the impression that the thing is dead until you leave it be for at least 15 minutes between powering off and on again.   Have not found any work-around.  Now that i've learned this, i know to expect it, but to the uninitiated it is a temporarily heartbreaker.

legendary
so these are not really ready for prime time.

Yeah, they need to improve the case design so it can withstand shipping without boards coming apart and cables coming loose.

These problems are too common to be attributed to "mishandling" during shipment. It is a design flaw. They need brackets and probably better connectors on the cables.

That said, no problems here.

Activity: 336
Merit: 250
edgar, i think these chips can handle 80C (but don't  take my word for it Tongue), like a GPU and other ASICs, although that is now on the warm side....so i think you're ok for now.

I am using a 1200W Raidmax open case for now, and actually the fully enclosed unit is running the coolest....I imagine better airflow, not sure of the draw at the wall, I'll check that later and it is 6 PCIe connections.

I will test the stock PSU one more time, but I am sure its a bad one since the other 2 w/ stock PSUs are running fine showing 980GH/s each at the pool.
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004
What better have batch 2 Huh
Better hashing speed?
Or better watt per wall?
Jump to: