Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 155. (Read 355730 times)

Activity: 95
Merit: 0
Got my B2 - S2 today, all was found in order upon inspection. Password STILL does not update and default does not work for SSH either. Has anyone gotten past this? Firmware installed from bitmaintech is "Thu Apr 10 19:08:42 CST 2014"

SSH is:

root/admin

Password updating is probably not kept on the config drive so it is not saved between reboots. You'd need to build your own firmware to change these things around.

Kano knows something about this.

Thanks. Rgr on the reboot issue, I had read thru some of kano's posts, but the S1 root/root was not working. She runs though now to alt the configs, tune, and deploy to rack!

Same (or similar) problem here.  Through browser root/root leads to a webpage not found error.  Through SSH, root/root gives access denied.  Through SSH, root/admin logs me in, but can't see any directories or files with ls command.  All boards seated okay.  Internal Ethernet jack connected.  LCD screen appears to work fine and shows the default IP address 192.168.1.99.  I'm truly at a loss of what to do...
Activity: 379
Merit: 250
Got my B2 - S2 today, all was found in order upon inspection. Password STILL does not update and default does not work for SSH either. Has anyone gotten past this? Firmware installed from bitmaintech is "Thu Apr 10 19:08:42 CST 2014"

SSH is:

root/admin

Password updating is probably not kept on the config drive so it is not saved between reboots. You'd need to build your own firmware to change these things around.

Thanks. Rgr on the reboot issue, I had read thru some of kano's posts, but the S1 root/root was not working. She runs though now to alt the configs, tune, and deploy to rack!
vip
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
AKA: gigavps

SSH is:

root/admin

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004
Glow Stick Dance!
mine arrived from UPS about 2 hrs ago.  I plugged it right in without opening it to verify no loose cards or anything (yeah probably a bad move on my part) and i got lucky.  it has has been hashing 1.00424TH average since i got it turned on.  havent tried to tweak it yet by replacing the power supply and overclocking.  that will be my next move.

Congrats! I'm sure Bitmain learned from the problems of batch 1.

I'm really interested to see how batch 2 people react after receiving their deliveries over the coming days. All being well, I'll hopefully be a batch 3 customer ... just not sure when they might release them though ... I wonder if they might wait to check that batch 2 customers are happy first?

I still had one of my batch 2 with asic blades all over, so you'd still better check things. Brand new power supplies, same asic board, just new heatsinks. controller board doesn't have the soldered/glued rework wire, so it sits in nice and snug now. New case, uses smaller screws, and 2 extra. The screws do have a habit of stripping the threads, which is a huge pain in the butt.

Best of all, the damn things just work. I've had a huge headache wiwth Batch 1, the systems not rebooting, needing power cycling, needing reflashing of the MicroSD cards, so far, I just hooked the batch 2 up and they've been running. I think I've had to open my Batch 1 units up at least 3 time each on average.

So far so good with mine.  I did open it up first and 4 or 5 boards had to be reseated as they had loosened a bit during shipping.  Build quality seems quite good.  My lid is bowed-up a smidge in the middle but not real noticeable.

It's running at advertised speed but fluctuates a bit, which is to be expected.  I'm pleasantly surprised at how quiet and cool it runs for how much it hashes.  I have it setup in my bedroom at the moment because I'm a bit nervous about overloading other circuits.  I like white noise when I sleep so I might actually keep it in there for now.
Activity: 379
legendary
Activity: 1274
mine arrived from UPS about 2 hrs ago.  I plugged it right in without opening it to verify no loose cards or anything (yeah probably a bad move on my part) and i got lucky.  it has has been hashing 1.00424TH average since i got it turned on.  havent tried to tweak it yet by replacing the power supply and overclocking.  that will be my next move.

I'm really interested to see how batch 2 people react after receiving their deliveries over the coming days. All being well, I'll hopefully be a batch 3 customer ... just not sure when they might release them though ... I wonder if they might wait to check that batch 2 customers are happy first?

I still had one of my batch 2 with asic blades all over, so you'd still better check things. Brand new power supplies, same asic board, just new heatsinks. controller board doesn't have the soldered/glued rework wire, so it sits in nice and snug now. New case, uses smaller screws, and 2 extra. The screws do have a habit of stripping the threads, which is a huge pain in the butt.

Best of all, the damn things just work. I've had a huge headache wiwth Batch 1, the systems not rebooting, needing power cycling, needing reflashing of the MicroSD cards, so far, I just hooked the batch 2 up and they've been running. I think I've had to open my Batch 1 units up at least 3 time each on average.
Activity: 471

Activity: 630
Merit: 500
mine arrived from UPS about 2 hrs ago.  I plugged it right in without opening it to verify no loose cards or anything (yeah probably a bad move on my part) and i got lucky.  it has has been hashing 1.00424TH average since i got it turned on.  havent tried to tweak it yet by replacing the power supply and overclocking.  that will be my next move.
legendary
Activity: 1092
New blades, new fans:

you got any pics of the chips underneath ?? btw what thermal paste did you use ?? or did you replace the thermal paste ??
legendary
Activity: 1092
All set up and running. And yes, the backlight of 8 have burned out so far.

Has anyone else had issues with the MicroSD card corrupting after a power cycle?

If you look close you'll see 24 S1's on each side.

honestly i think the nic should be in the back of these units instead of the front .
Activity: 784
Merit: 1004
Glow Stick Dance!
Folks please stop with the delivery hype my god.

This miner is okay its not worth all this hype.....

What do we have a bunce of Bitmain plants.

A Cointerra would have been better for the price.....

So stop all this delivery BS its gets old

Lol, WTF?!  This is the BitMain S2 thread.  Where else are we supposed to talk about this?
Activity: 81
Merit: 10
Is anyone else PSU giving them headaches? Mine in particular likes to trip its protection circuits on shutdown, which is a real pain in the ass.
Activity: 635
New blades, new fans:

Fu...

Looks like the same as i wanted to do as custom heatsink.....

I have to get some...
Activity: 742
Mining is never worth it if you spend btc to get btc...
It's only worth it when you start join the game spend some fiat to get btc.
Even with the best ROI machine in the world the S1..you will never see ROI.
With the coupon it's 0.8 + VAT + electricity...mine it forever you'll never see that 0.8 back mining.

Maybe in decades when it becomes an antique then you could sell one as a collector item for some btcs.

Really? That's odd because because I have 8TH running right now that has already paid itself off in BTC.

In fact, I see no mining hardware that is worth buying at the moment.

Simply removing some sentences reveals the paradox.
More power to you for getting the right hardware at the right time.
That's not the luxury most people can have at least for now.

My point was that you need to be patient. If there is no hardware available that looks like it will ROI in BTC, and you want to invest fiat now, simply buy BTC directly and wait...
legendary
Activity: 1274
New blades, new fans:

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
We are the champions of the night
Mine got manhandled by UPS, I honestly think they dropped it out of the plane instead of landing it.  Bent PCI slots, backplanes disconnected and rattling around the case, one of the backplains actually had the part that connects it to the case ripped off! 

Activity: 395
With the coupon it's 0.8 + VAT + electricity...mine it forever you'll never see that 0.8 back mining.

Maybe in decades when it becomes an antique then you could sell one as a collector item for some btcs.

Really? That's odd because because I have 8TH running right now that has already paid itself off in BTC.

In fact, I see no mining hardware that is worth buying at the moment.

Simply removing some sentences reveals the paradox.
More power to you for getting the right hardware at the right time.
That's not the luxury most people can have at least for now.
Activity: 742

They key is being able to do basic math, only purchase in stock hardware that ships immediately, and not overpaying for hardware in BTC terms.

There have been a couple of times in the last few months where the S1 was a screaming buy (hint: the sooner you buy after a nice price cut, the better), but now is not one of them...  Wink

In fact, I see no mining hardware that is worth buying at the moment. If BTC spikes in price, hardware will become profitable again for those who already have BTC that they can use to buy it.
Activity: 395

Activity: 560
I'm not sure why people are so happy to lose money on the S2.

They would have done far better by simply purchasing S1s at the time instead of S2s.

There is no way the increased power efficiency of the S2 will even come close to making up for the lost mining revenue (S1s could have been mining a couple of weeks now) and lower price of the S1.

I hope the price of BTC goes up so Bitmain can offer future batches of S2s that have a shot at ROI in BTC, because batch 1 and batch 2 certainly did not.

+ 1
Jump to: