Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 169. (Read 355730 times)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0
What would be a good fan replacement for the S2 that would reduce the sound significantly? The S2 has been great, but the noise is quite loud.
Activity: 262
Merit: 250
"I think we are past the point where network difficulty is so hard its hard to generate positive roi even with no electricity costs."

Precisely! Good to see some people around here still with their brain intact.
Unfortunately, as in life, its only a minority.

What about the noob saying Bitmain brought used PSU's, that one made me smile.

Just sit back and enjoy the popcorn!

KNC now has a new Plan "B"

One of their options is to sell off some of their used farm equipment to the people waiting for the Neptunes.  DUH is pretty bad. At the same time saying their new multi million dollar data facility is almost ready.

Wow. They should have given the customers the machines instead of hoarding them for themselves. Bad business practice when you are competing with your customers.
Activity: 882
Merit: 1003
"I think we are past the point where network difficulty is so hard its hard to generate positive roi even with no electricity costs."

KNC now has a new Plan "B"

One of their options is to sell off some of their used farm equipment to the people waiting for the Neptunes.  DUH is pretty bad. At the same time saying their new multi million dollar data facility is almost ready.
Activity: 28

Activity: 11
Would have to be a fair bit less than 3k USD delivered for me to get one, else it will never get close enough to ROI. Pretty much better off buying btc with your money instead of miners IMO. You will have to resell the unit in a few months to make any profit, that's a lot of time and effort for a few hundred bucks
Activity: 882
Merit: 1003

Also, I have 2 words for any serious ASIC miner, that worries about temp and noise:

IMMERSION COOLING
Anything else, is insanity.
10-30% of mining energy costs are wasted on crappy cooling methods.
Throw away the box and get a tank and a bunch of mineral oil.
PC Overclockers and datacenter CIOs have been doing this for years.

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2014/04/07/datatank-immersion-containers-industrial-bitcoin-mining/
http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/06/cooling-a-computer-server-with-mineral-oil/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0
http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2013/11/13/3m-immersion-cooling/

It isn't worth the time and added expense for .075 BTC per day that an S2 will generate.

I think we are past the point where network difficulty is so hard its hard to generate positive roi even with no electricity costs.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Bitmain as much as I like your lovely surprise announcements about your product availability it would really help me to plan ahead to prepare/purchase the necessary BTC for your upcoming Batch 3 S2.

Since you are supposed to start shipping S2 batch 2 in less than 48 hours could you please tell us when you will be opening S2 batch 3 sales and price?

Thank you

you will want to be ready by the 10th. or 11th and have at least 3k in btc.

although a second source has told me have 3.5k usd in btc.

So you  need 7.5-8.5 coins ready by the 11th.  

Please  remember you could get 7 s-1s  for that price  includes psu's wires and a gigabyte/cat5/6  switch
legendary
4xS2 Units arrived today.

Two of the four boxes very worse for wear. One box was wet across the end as if it had been sitting in water.

Each machine had a few boards out of the rails. One had it's internal network cable unplugged. Another one had the screen unplugged. One power supply had been badly installed and two of the screws had stripped. the PSU wis sitting at a bit of an angle.

Only received rack mounts for 3 of them.

Reseated all the cards and they all ran fine. No sign of any water getting through the bubblewrap.

One board out of all 40 is showing a zero temp reading but is hashing away regardless.

Unexpected Bonus: They came with Australian plugs!

hash rates please and watt use please.  4th at 4000 watts? I realize you need a k watt meter and may not have one. but at least hash rates  .
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Bitmain as much as I like your lovely surprise announcements about your product availability it would really help me to plan ahead to prepare/purchase the necessary BTC for your upcoming Batch 3 S2.

Since you are supposed to start shipping S2 batch 2 in less than 48 hours could you please tell us when you will be opening S2 batch 3 sales and price?

Thank you
Activity: 30
4xS2 Units arrived today.

Two of the four boxes very worse for wear. One box was wet across the end as if it had been sitting in water.

Each machine had a few boards out of the rails. One had it's internal network cable unplugged. Another one had the screen unplugged. One power supply had been badly installed and two of the screws had stripped. the PSU wis sitting at a bit of an angle.

Only received rack mounts for 3 of them.

Reseated all the cards and they all ran fine. No sign of any water getting through the bubblewrap.

One board out of all 40 is showing a zero temp reading but is hashing away regardless.

Unexpected Bonus: They came with Australian plugs!
Activity: 24
 Thought about the S2 but running 6 S1 for a month got to be better than twiddling your thumbs waiting you S2 to arrive
S1 got me almost 4 BTC ($2,000+)
Waiting for S2 0 BTC ($0)

Add the above into you calculations!
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
AntMiner S2 1TH/s Miner (1w/GH/s) Batch 2
Price:      3599 USD ( 8.065 BTC )

AntMiner S1  180GH/s
AntMiner S1 - 0.893BTC

1000/180=  5.56
AntMiner S2 = 6 AntMiner S1
8.065 BTC > 6 x 0.893BTC

8.065 BTC >  5.36 BTC

so buy AntMiner S2 or 6 AntMiner S1 ?
will be ROI if buy AntMiner S2 or 6 AntMiner S1?

Power is a factor here. 6 S1s will use more power, and generate more heat, than 1 S1 will.  If heat and power isn't a factor in your equation, then the S1s make more sense.

M

No doubt Sherlock , about 6x more ..... Cheesy

Oops, typo! Smiley fixed..

M
Activity: 1428
Merit: 120
Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting
Activity: 42

All of our ants @ 393mhz get 200GH/s, and pull 410W at the wall with an 80 Plus Gold 750W Rosewill PSU, which is right at 90% efficient at. That means our Ants are pulling 370W from the PSU, and this includes removing the blue/white wires from the fans so they're running at 100%.

If your 2 ants are pulling 900W, you need a better (more efficient) PSU.

I't was a pretty inexpensive PSU (under $80, possibly under $70) so it may not be the most efficient, good brand but I don't remember at the moment and it's not much of a concern to me right now, I am paying less than 6c per kilowatt of wind energy--it's unlikely I would have gotten ROI on a more efficient power supply and with wind energy--no real reason to feel bad about using a little more. Smiley

Either way, it's still necessary to account for both the power supply and the additional energy usage (depending on rate, of course) of the 6 S1's over 1 S2.  I'm not suggesting it wouldn't be worth it--but you can't base it off the math that was provided.  Also, who knows what the S1s and S2s will be priced at when they bring them back, it's kind of a waste of time and energy to even try to made a decision now without that information. 

I definitely plan on playing with frequencies a little more to see if I can get better hashing than with them set to 400Mhz, whenever I have a chance. 

I cannot open https://www.bitmaintech.com/ nor could I ten hours ago.

It was working for me earlier and it's working now.  Also--THEY HAVE S1's IN STOCK!!!!!!!
Activity: 42
I cannot open https://www.bitmaintech.com/ nor could I ten hours ago.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1004
Glow Stick Dance!

Also, I have 2 words for any serious ASIC miner, that worries about temp and noise:

IMMERSION COOLING
Anything else, is insanity.
10-30% of mining energy costs are wasted on crappy cooling methods.
Throw away the box and get a tank and a bunch of mineral oil.
PC Overclockers and datacenter CIOs have been doing this for years.

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2014/04/07/datatank-immersion-containers-industrial-bitcoin-mining/
http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/06/cooling-a-computer-server-with-mineral-oil/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0
http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2013/11/13/3m-immersion-cooling/

It isn't worth the time and added expense for .075 BTC per day that an S2 will generate.
legendary
Price:      3599 USD ( 8.065 BTC )

AntMiner S1  180GH/s
AntMiner S1 - 0.893BTC

1000/180=  5.56
8.065 BTC > 6 x 0.893BTC

8.065 BTC >  5.36 BTC

You also forgot to factor in 3000w worth of PSU, or something close to that if you intend on over clocking.  My two S1's are pulling in over 900w combined.
Just to reiterate: the S1 does not come with a power supply, the S2 does. You need to add the cost of PSUs for your 6x S1s. Also the price of BTC at the time the S2 was on sale, as someone else has mentioned.

It doesn't really make sense to talk about the price of S2 at the moment since they are not for sale (yet). When batch 3 is opened I imagine they will be cheaper than batch 1 or 2.

3k according to my source
Activity: 700
Merit: 504
Run a Bitcoin node.
Price:      3599 USD ( 8.065 BTC )

AntMiner S1  180GH/s
AntMiner S1 - 0.893BTC

1000/180=  5.56
8.065 BTC > 6 x 0.893BTC

8.065 BTC >  5.36 BTC

You also forgot to factor in 3000w worth of PSU, or something close to that if you intend on over clocking.  My two S1's are pulling in over 900w combined.
Just to reiterate: the S1 does not come with a power supply, the S2 does. You need to add the cost of PSUs for your 6x S1s. Also the price of BTC at the time the S2 was on sale, as someone else has mentioned.

It doesn't really make sense to talk about the price of S2 at the moment since they are not for sale (yet). When batch 3 is opened I imagine they will be cheaper than batch 1 or 2.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Bitmain,

Would it be possible to buy S2's without the psu installed and a little cheaper?

JIm

+1 bitmain, definitely should offer this.
legendary
All of our ants @ 393mhz get 200GH/s, and pull 410W at the wall with an 80 Plus Gold 750W Rosewill PSU, which is right at 90% efficient at. That means our Ants are pulling 370W from the PSU, and this includes removing the blue/white wires from the fans so they're running at 100%.

If your 2 ants are pulling 900W, you need a better (more efficient) PSU.

I have a 1000 watt seasonic plat 2 s-1s clocked to 400 mhz giving me 406 gh.

I use 805 watts and I have no issues with this psu.  it is the best for 2 s-1s overclocked.   
Jump to: