Author

Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH - page 370. (Read 527816 times)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0
Chelsea maybe having a horrible start to the year, but you are still in the premier league. I am a Fulham fan and we got relegated to Championship league two years ago Sad
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
It sure is fun to simply make some LEDs blink, see numbers climb, and see a balance increase.  

..plus put hypnotoad on a laptop screen...and dose off a little..good.

Sidenote: Chelsea lost again...Mourinho is probably gone within a month if not sooner. Is he on strike or something?
Activity: 700
Merit: 501
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg
I think it depends on the scale.  If your largest monthly expense is your electric bill; its not really a hobby any more.

yeah this is pretty much the case.

In the dead of winter I have done 690 usd for a power bill running 22 gpu's and 11 pc's

Kind of not a hobby at that point.

Now have I made a lot of money since 2012 no.  Maybe 7k in 3 years and 3 months .

So it is a business but not too big in my case.

If you ask me, any hobby that has a potential for profit is fantastic.  People spend tons of money on other hobbies that have no profit potential at all.   As long as you're enjoying what you're doing and having fun.  Sure mining might not be the most exciting hobby.  Really once they are set up and running there's no fun in watching the lights blink and the fans just spin and your bitcoin wallet balance increase at a glacial pace.  But some people just like playing with the new hardware and tweaking things to get the most out of it.  To others hash power is like horse power.  You can never have too much of it.  In the end this has taken up a lot of my time and I probably made some money in the long run, but if I didn't do this I'd just end up spending money on another hobby that keeps me busy but with no return.  So even if I lost say $1000 on mining, I would call it the cost of my hobby.

pretty much on the same page as you.

I use to build audio speakers ------------- good sound  but spent a lot on this.

I used to build pc's  ---------------------- was fun did not make much coin  mostly lost money
then up grade mac minis -------------  made a few thousand a year at this and always had 2 or 3 top of the line mac minis in the house.
then pc/gpu mining rigs ------------ made some money

now tweak asic rigs ------------------ makes some money

still build pc's for friends

mining has been the most fun  the feb mar apr 2013 run up

the sept oct nov 2013 run up

so much fun. more then any of the other hobbies.

I fully agree here and have rambled on about how a hobby can have so many positive attributes, byproducts, or however these things are worded.
You can feel good if you are idealistic and consider with a hobby as mining, if you support the right type of pool, hence the pool's ideals and opinions you are helping the network. This may lead to discussions of morality or even how you as a "little guy" may have a horse in the race with the big guys.
You protect the network, or help to do so.
You allow for future growth by simply turning the miner on.
You also have the potential for teaching others through your existing hardware. Be it PC items such as networking, or electrical such as using 240v versus 120, not to mention how it all converts to DC at the power supply and used at the miner

There are so many more good things from this 'hobby', but as someone else stated, the potential to break even, or, that word profit may apply for some folks.
It sure is fun to simply make some LEDs blink, see numbers climb, and see a balance increase. 
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
hmmmmm, interesting.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
I think it depends on the scale.  If your largest monthly expense is your electric bill; its not really a hobby any more.

In the dead of winter I have done 690 usd for a power bill running 22 gpu's and 11 pc's

Now have I made a lot of money since 2012 no.  Maybe 7k in 3 years and 3 months .

If you ask me, any hobby that has a potential for profit is fantastic.  People spend tons of money on other hobbies that have no profit potential at all.   As long as you're enjoying what you're doing and having fun.  Sure mining might not be the most exciting hobby.  Really once they are set up and running there's no fun in watching the lights blink and the fans just spin and your bitcoin wallet balance increase at a glacial pace.  But some people just like playing with the new hardware and tweaking things to get the most out of it.  To others hash power is like horse power.  You can never have too much of it.  In the end this has taken up a lot of my time and I probably made some money in the long run, but if I didn't do this I'd just end up spending money on another hobby that keeps me busy but with no return.  So even if I lost say $1000 on mining, I would call it the cost of my hobby.

pretty much on the same page as you.

I use to build audio speakers ------------- good sound  but spent a lot on this.

I used to build pc's  ---------------------- was fun did not make much coin  mostly lost money
then up grade mac minis -------------  made a few thousand a year at this and always had 2 or 3 top of the line mac minis in the house.
then pc/gpu mining rigs ------------ made some money

now tweak asic rigs ------------------ makes some money

still build pc's for friends

mining has been the most fun  the feb mar apr 2013 run up

the sept oct nov 2013 run up

so much fun. more then any of the other hobbies.

legendary
Activity: 1096
Merit: 1021

Activity: 700
Merit: 501
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

The S5+ came with the same instruction regarding you must populate all 3. I thought someone already proved it could be ran with 2 of 3? Tupu?

Although my opinion is to still use all 3 which is how "my friend" runs his S5+. Why ask for trouble when it is so inexpensive to run this way. Cables are cheap unless you are building a mega farm.

If you're thinking about me, then the answer is no.
I have 3 x APW3-12-1600-B2   and 10 x EVGA G2 1300W so I do not have a need for it.

But I believe that S5+ is working well with 2x PCI-E cables on single board.

I was thinking about you, but obviously I was incorrect.
However I agree, 2 of 3 probably will power the unit without issue, but as notlist3d stated, it will stress those two and any slight error in pin connection, cabling, etc will be exposed in a bad way. The same thing could happen when using 3 connections, it simply isn't as likely, but if you are using cheap products and buying cables from people without a reputation at stake then I'd say it doesn't matter as you are doomed for having an issue.
I will stay with 3 connections when I spend 5 - 10 thousand dollars on miners.
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520
Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206
did have the first S7 untits arrived or just the ordered PSU's?
Activity: 786
Merit: 1000
Damn, sounds like power is pretty cheap wherever you live.. it's not unusual for my power bill to peak at $300 CAD once and awhile when I'm running just a couple of ASICs. However, that's probably because of how my power company does estimated readings, and then actual readings every few months.

Sounds like you're somewhere in Ontario too?
I'm in Saskatchewan actually. We have a government funded power company, but it still costs quite a bit.

NFLD has extremely cheap power  ( http://www.hydrogra.ca/rates-among-lowest.html )  ...even when compared to even Sk and MB.

Great North Data ( greatnorthdata.com) runs a hosting site there. Got a quote:  $60/KW... and i think that's CAD. So about $45 USD.  I might use them after i tumble some numbers. However, the whole difficulty thing has me a bit scared like most people are saying on here.
legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024
The dimensions of the miner are 30 cm (length) x 15 cm (height) x 13 cm (width). The height includes the controller as well.

How long is the aluminum body without FANS?

It's about 22.4cm long without the fans.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
The dimensions of the miner are 30 cm (length) x 15 cm (height) x 13 cm (width). The height includes the controller as well.

How long is the aluminum body without FANS?
legendary
Damn, sounds like power is pretty cheap wherever you live.. it's not unusual for my power bill to peak at $300 CAD once and awhile when I'm running just a couple of ASICs. However, that's probably because of how my power company does estimated readings, and then actual readings every few months.

I'm in Saskatchewan actually. We have a government funded power company, but it still costs quite a bit.

Thanks!

Can you confirm Dimensions: 301mm(L)*123mm(W)*155mm(H) ?

Does H include the controller?
Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Here are some pictures of my power config:
https://i.imgur.com/VyL3qfM.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/1wtiqi6.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/XlJrHGE.jpg

But basically, every red ended cable coming out the LEPA has 2 PCI-e 6+2 pin connectors. I'm using 9 of those connectors to power hashing boards, and then the remaining PCI-e connector to power up the controller.

I think it depends on the scale.  If your largest monthly expense is your electric bill; its not really a hobby any more.

Thanks!

Can you confirm Dimensions: 301mm(L)*123mm(W)*155mm(H) ?

Does H include the controller?
Activity: 786
Merit: 1000

legendary
hi..can be take a nice picture on your antminer 9 x 6pin conncetor with ur config cable to psu ?
because i plan using enermax 1500w psu and the plug out cable , each cable is have 2 x 6pin , the cable can be separate to another hashboard?

Here are some pictures of my power config:
https://i.imgur.com/VyL3qfM.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/1wtiqi6.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/XlJrHGE.jpg

But basically, every red ended cable coming out the LEPA has 2 PCI-e 6+2 pin connectors. I'm using 9 of those connectors to power hashing boards, and then the remaining PCI-e connector to power up the controller.

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'

legendary

thx..that is indeed some usefull info...please tell us how many pins the power cable of the fans have. i'm thinking to replace those helicopter fans and i wanna' know what are my options..

Click to enlarge
Activity: 994
Merit: 504
Video should be available at this link in two minutes or so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UFGEXyduSA

I realize there isn't a great comparison for how noisy this miner is, but it sounds about the same as your typical vacuum cleaner on high speed.

Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions I can answer, or want any more pictures of the unit.

@suchmoon I can test that out in a minute and get back to you on what happens, but yeah I suspect it just won't power up.

great video, thanks, man
if you want to be a little more detailed, can you measure noise in dB with your Android/iphone from 1ft or 1m distance?
the app is called "dB meter" on iphone
there is also sound meter on android
Sure thing, just tested that out for you.

Phone right up to the miner: 100dB
Phone 1 meter from the miner: 70dB

thx..that is indeed some usefull info...please tell us how many pins the power cable of the fans have. i'm thinking to replace those helicopter fans and i wanna' know what are my options..
legendary

The S5+ came with the same instruction regarding you must populate all 3. I thought someone already proved it could be ran with 2 of 3? Tupu?

Although my opinion is to still use all 3 which is how "my friend" runs his S5+. Why ask for trouble when it is so inexpensive to run this way. Cables are cheap unless you are building a mega farm.

If you're thinking about me, then the answer is no.
I have 3 x APW3-12-1600-B2   and 10 x EVGA G2 1300W so I do not have a need for it.

But I believe that S5+ is working well with 2x PCI-E cables on single board.
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
Jump to: