Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER U3 Discussion and Support Thread - page 17. (Read 149096 times)

zOU
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
★ these are stars ★
November 30, 2015, 04:37:48 PM
I'll buy them off you, 100$+shipping to Europe.

So you don't lose any money Smiley
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
November 30, 2015, 04:34:33 PM
You're pessimist Mikestang

I have 6 on my RPI Smiley

Block erupters are ok, and for 100$ you can get a bunch Smiley

Mikestang is a realist when he says they suck. Based off what I am reading the au3 is the only miner anyone really has any major complaints about. Wish I would have spent a lot more time than I did researching them before I purchased mine. The purchase would have never happened.
zOU
★ these are stars ★
November 30, 2015, 04:08:12 PM
You're pessimist Mikestang

I have 6 on my RPI Smiley

Block erupters are ok, and for 100$ you can get a bunch Smiley
November 30, 2015, 03:45:16 PM
Also. Your miners are stupidly unstable. is there a firmware update I can do to make them stable? They can't even stay up a whole day with out turning into a zombie...

Welcome to the U3, this is how they operate.  You'll be lucky if you can get more than 1 to work at once, also, good luck!

What would you consider a good miner? I only want to spend $100-$200 and would like to ditch these au3's for something that I can turn on and forget about.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
November 30, 2015, 03:38:51 PM
It bothers me though if it is safe to leave it for a long time unattended. I mean, can it possibly fail so badly that it catches fire and burns the apartment? Do you guys take any precautions just in case?
Once they zombie out I think they are harmless.  Although I have had two molex plugs melted by a U3 and it wasn't even overclocked very high...

I didn't rely on the solid red LED up front because sometimes when it went zombie or simply went to a zero hashrate;  the red LED was still lit solid....
Mine was pretty accurate with the red light.
Mine have also been accurate with the red led, it always shuts off when they zombie.

Also. Your miners are stupidly unstable. is there a firmware update I can do to make them stable? They can't even stay up a whole day with out turning into a zombie...
Welcome to the U3, this is how they operate.  You'll be lucky if you can get more than 1 to work at once, also, good luck!
November 30, 2015, 03:32:14 PM
Google antminer u3 pcie connector or try ebay, or make it Smiley

thanks

Hi. I purchased 4 au3 miners off of ebay. The dude I purchased them from hated them so much he gave me 7 even though I only paid for 4.

I need two power adapters. Where can I purchase the power adapters?

How much did you pay?  I cant imagine giving 3 extra's.

You can look into linux and scrypting (such as RPI) to reset.  Or easy is get a R1 from crazyguy with custom firmware - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/asicpuppynet-terminus-moonlander-2-2pacs-in-stock-btcltcethbch-612390

Either one is a valid way to fix zombies.

$100 with shipping.
legendary
Activity: 1456
November 30, 2015, 03:25:26 PM
Hi. I purchased 4 au3 miners off of ebay. The dude I purchased them from hated them so much he gave me 7 even though I only paid for 4.

How much did you pay?  I cant imagine giving 3 extra's.

You can look into linux and scrypting (such as RPI) to reset.  Or easy is get a R1 from crazyguy with custom firmware - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/asicpuppynet-terminus-moonlander-2-2pacs-in-stock-btcltcethbch-612390

Either one is a valid way to fix zombies.
zOU
★ these are stars ★
November 30, 2015, 03:19:39 PM
Google antminer u3 pcie connector or try ebay, or make it Smiley
November 30, 2015, 03:14:03 PM

hello Smiley

thy're no "our" miners Smiley

you'll have to learn to live with it, or just read through the thread to see the few solutions available.

You can power them using a PCI-E connector.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/IrMAAOSwQItT5TcW/$_1.JPG

And if become grumpy and unhappy, I'll buy the 7 for the price of 3  Grin Grin Grin

Where can I get that PCI-E connector?
zOU
★ these are stars ★
November 30, 2015, 03:08:52 PM

hello Smiley

thy're no "our" miners Smiley

you'll have to learn to live with it, or just read through the thread to see the few solutions available.

You can power them using a PCI-E connector.

And if become grumpy and unhappy, I'll buy the 7 for the price of 3  Grin Grin Grin
November 30, 2015, 03:06:00 PM

legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
November 30, 2015, 05:33:37 AM
I had zero freeze/zombie issues and a "set it and forget it" mentality with this config:

RasPi 2 (with freeze watchdog enabled)
MinerA (with auto reboot set when miner stops hashing)

One U3 would be solid hashing then die randomly;  and within 5 min it resets itself and bam.  back hashing.

I didn't rely on the solid red LED up front because sometimes when it went zombie or simply went to a zero hashrate;  the red LED was still lit solid....

This watchdog ?: http://blog.ricardoarturocabral.com/2013/01/auto-reboot-hung-raspberry-pi-using-on.html

What setting in minera do you use ? Because I tried several, without success...

If i tell the miner to restart after 600sec (10mn), it restarts after 1mn anyway...

i cant quote on the watchdog, but its well documented;  I followed an online tutorial.

Thats the correct setting for minera;  just set a sane timer for reboot (2-15 min?)...

I always saw a solid hashrate bar in the readouts; and can normally see blips in the hashrate graph if it reset....

With MinerA I believe I used bfgminer;  gridseeds the regular cgminer.
zOU
★ these are stars ★
November 30, 2015, 01:39:04 AM
I had zero freeze/zombie issues and a "set it and forget it" mentality with this config:

One U3 would be solid hashing then die randomly;  and within 5 min it resets itself and bam.  back hashing.

This watchdog ?: http://blog.ricardoarturocabral.com/2013/01/auto-reboot-hung-raspberry-pi-using-on.html

What setting in minera do you use ? Because I tried several, without success...

If i tell the miner to restart after 600sec (10mn), it restarts after 1mn anyway...

Activity: 690
November 29, 2015, 09:37:46 PM

One U3 would be solid hashing then die randomly;  and within 5 min it resets itself and bam.  back hashing.

I didn't rely on the solid red LED up front because sometimes when it went zombie or simply went to a zero hashrate;  the red LED was still lit solid....

Mine was pretty accurate with the red light.  But this could be due to using windows I was on a windows machine with them just as I had it on.     So not sure how much that effected it.

I went from it to the R1 from crazyguy.

Mine has the LED on even when the PC is in sleep mode.

I can say I did not try it during sleep.  Why would you not have sleep mode off with a computer mining?

I had sleep off as PC was on always. It is actually a PC I mainly use for teamviewer.  But it allows me to use it as a controller if needed as always one.

No, I mean if I manually put it in sleep mode. It's probably because the USB hub still has power on then.
legendary
November 29, 2015, 09:17:50 PM

One U3 would be solid hashing then die randomly;  and within 5 min it resets itself and bam.  back hashing.

I didn't rely on the solid red LED up front because sometimes when it went zombie or simply went to a zero hashrate;  the red LED was still lit solid....

Mine was pretty accurate with the red light.  But this could be due to using windows I was on a windows machine with them just as I had it on.     So not sure how much that effected it.

I can say I did not try it during sleep.  Why would you not have sleep mode off with a computer mining?

I had sleep off as PC was on always. It is actually a PC I mainly use for teamviewer.  But it allows me to use it as a controller if needed as always one.
Activity: 690
November 29, 2015, 09:03:03 PM

Mine was pretty accurate with the red light.  But this could be due to using windows I was on a windows machine with them just as I had it on.     So not sure how much that effected it.

legendary
November 29, 2015, 08:17:13 PM
FWIW windows 10 here.
legendary
November 29, 2015, 07:36:27 PM

Mine was pretty accurate with the red light.  But this could be due to using windows I was on a windows machine with them just as I had it on.     So not sure how much that effected it.

legendary
November 29, 2015, 06:57:02 PM

zOU
★ these are stars ★
November 29, 2015, 05:20:10 PM
For those of you running on Linux, it appears there may be an easy solution for restarting your U3 without unplugging the USB cable. With the antrouter, Bitmain's cgminer-u3 init.d script stops the udev daemon(linux device manager) when it stops cgminer, and then starts it back up in the cgminer start function, if it is not already running. This allows me to restart cgminer when a unit goes zombie, through the init.d script or UI, and not have to unplug the device. You should be able to port this command to another linux based system and monitor cgminer then restart cgminer/udevd when needed.

On cgminer stop
Code:
start-stop-daemon -K -n udevd -s TERM

On cgminer start
Code:
 ps |grep -v grep|grep udevd  > /dev/null
if [ $? -eq 0 ];then
        echo detect hotpluging USB miners
else
        /sbin/udevd --daemon
        echo start detecting
fi