Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER U3 Discussion and Support Thread - page 63. (Read 149096 times)

Activity: 65
Merit: 10
November 22, 2014, 07:34:49 PM
I've been running two units, they never stay online longer than 24 hours, unplug USB and replug and they start mining again.
Today I happened to be near when I heard one of the units making a weird noise, from the console I could see it had just stopped mining.
The sound is like a hissing capacitor discharge, the red LED kept flickering, and the fan was going on and off.

I unplugged the power and USB, replugged both, and mining resumed.

My bet is on the PSU crapping out.
I am running the standard values per the PDF doc.

I ordered a replacement higher capacity PSU.

Anybody else notice the hissing when mining stops?

P.
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
November 22, 2014, 10:15:41 AM
What is the command to start cgminer in lower difficulty. Bitmains user guide suggests --diffstart 6. Cgminer just starts and closes when i have that in command line. Is there different command i can use?
Activity: 140
Merit: 101
November 22, 2014, 01:53:01 AM
If you're using the original power supply it will melt! Be warned... Mine took almost 30 hours before it finally melted...

At the moment I'm running with a normal raspbian image where I installed cgminer. Isn't hard to achieve. You only need enough juice Wink

TOO RIGHT!!!!

WARNING MY PSU THAT CAME WITH THE U3 MELTED WITHIN A DAY OF RUNNING WITH A VOLTAGE SETTING OF 0800 ( SO BE WARNED IF RUN ABOVE 0795 FOR VOLTAGE THEY MAY MELT AND / OR CATCH FIRE!)
[/color][/color]

mine started to sizzle and melt after 16 hours at the 0800 voltage setting.
I strongly suggest that no one use a voltage setting higher than 0795 with the stock PSU
I ran that one for 24 hours with no problem. If anyone runs into a problem at that setting please let us know.

EDIT: Well I guess it doesn't matter if you turn down the voltage a bit from 0800, my second PSU went out running at a voltage of 0795 after a day and a half or so. This one went out spectacularly, sounded like something from a cheap movie, I have never heard an electrical noise that loud before (while it did melt part of the case for the PSU I unplugged it before there was any actual fire).
I don''t know if lesser voltages even are safe with these, it may just take longer for them to go out. At this point, for safety's sake, I think it is prudent to simply assume any PSU that came with a U3 is defective and should not be used.
Activity: 12
November 21, 2014, 09:00:28 PM
Question:
What is 'invalid nonce -- hw error" ?
November 21, 2014, 08:51:15 PM
I changed as post #210.  and still got ZOMBIE after only a few seconds at almost all miner settings.

I wonder why the red led comes on when the usb plug is inserted and not the power cord.  My thinking is that the unit requires a powered USB port.
switching the unit over to a powered usb, stopped my ZOMBIE problem.

Also the thing is a lonely beast.  All other miners were removed from the computer (win 7).

messing with the voltage and freq settings it tops out at 66.5Gh/s which quickly declined.

It hovers around 53GH/s at the setting recommended.

Activity: 65
November 21, 2014, 07:53:15 PM
Hi, asking for some help getting my two new U3's up and running.

Using this guide:
https://www.bitmaintech.com/files/download/AntMiner-U3%20user%20guide.pdf

Running on W2K12R2 on ZBOX ID84 Atom CPU, bitmain cgminer does not detect U3, seems to be a timing problem.
Same machine running official CGMiner 4.7.1 using old USB blockerupter works fine.

Running on Win8.1 x64 on Corei7, bitmain's cgminer-run-windows-20141027 detects U3, but keeps reporting "Waiting for work to be available from pools".
Debug log shows the real error is "JSON stratum auth failed", "Method 'mining.extranonce.subscribe' not found".
Log here: http://pastebin.com/gqrN6RmK

Using the real CGMiner 4.7.1 and the old blockerupter works fine with stratum.antpool.com and with stratum.bitcoin.cz.
Seems to me that something with bitmain's 4.6.1 based CGMiner and the stratum pools don't like each other.

Any ideas?
P.

For pools I found that neither antpool.com nor bitcoin.cz works with the antminer/bitmain CGMiner build.
GHash.io does work.

As for the hardware, I have now also tried on a Core i3 based system, also does not work.
As with the Atom system it seems to be some kind of USB/serial timing problem that results in no mining hardware being detected.
Log here: http://pastebin.com/8Nq3RD5W

Any ideas?
Activity: 556
Merit: 500
November 21, 2014, 12:46:06 PM
I was still having problems with ZOMBIE with the settings from a posts ago.
I just switched to use the settings in the new U3 manual. Started at 47Gh and has declined to 38Gh and seeing 36W pull from the wall. I suspect it will continue to drop until it Zombies again.
Activity: 20
November 21, 2014, 09:07:48 AM
If you're using the original power supply it will melt! Be warned... Mine took almost 30 hours before it finally melted...

At the moment I'm running with a normal raspbian image where I installed cgminer. Isn't hard to achieve. You only need enough juice Wink
Activity: 140
Merit: 101
November 21, 2014, 07:59:05 AM
After checking quite a few settings here the best I have found so far.
using 0795 for voltage 1306 for freq and 0.7 for baud gets a steady 53 GH/s
using 0795 for voltage 1306 for freq and 0.57 for baud I get 57.5 GH/s
using 0800 for voltage 0982 for freq and 0.57 for baud yields the highest hash so far at 62.89 GH/s
(note that the power supply does get quite warm using 0800 for voltage) I moved mine to a window sill where it is a nice steady 7 degrees C
I have only had it hashing with the 0800 voltage for a couple of hours so I will let you know if anything blows up or catches fire.
Using the 0795 voltage at room temp I ran it for 24 hours with no problems. (the psu barely even got warm)

Now if I can figure out how to get two of these to run when connected to a single computer I will be half way home.
(Final goal is an Rpi image that hashes at 63 GH/s).

Happy hashing people.

Edit:
After a few hours it slows a bit but after 14 hours I am still getting over 61 GH/s and the PSU has had no problems with the voltage at 0800.
Activity: 159
Merit: 100
November 21, 2014, 07:55:44 AM
Yep, and even if it draws to much current you would blow up a fuse not your house!

If it has a fuse, otherwise you could pull 32A from a uk ring main until an RCD kicks in at best, at worse, burn your nice carpets. That's why decent power supplies have over current and thermal protection.
Activity: 11
November 21, 2014, 06:44:39 AM
Hello,
 I have been kind of busy and dropped off here. I got a S3+ it set up like a dream, why cant they do that with this?

I burned up one power supply running as they suggested. Now I have dialed things back to -bmsc-freq 0782 --bmsc-voltage 0750.  They will run for about 5 hours and then just quit.  Not Zombie, Just not hashing.

I have one powered off a Molex and one with the original power supply, I put a small fan blowing on the Bitmain power supply,

Each runs at about 34 gh, which is a long ways from the Supposed 63.  

I know Bitmain monitors this forum, would someone let us know what is going on?Huh

Barbara

Try multiple pools:
eg. -o xxx -u yyy -o mmm -u nnn with other parameters you set.
with voltage 0750.please set freq 0882 or 1106
And we make a new U3 manual to help set freq and timeout.
https://www.bitmaintech.com/files/download/AntMiner-U3%20user%20guide.pdf
November 21, 2014, 06:22:17 AM
Yep, and even if it draws to much current you would blow up a fuse not your house!
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
November 21, 2014, 05:30:26 AM
Be careful,that 4 pin molex for HDD's is rated at 13 amps,so just run 1 miner per CABLE,not 1 per connector  Wink

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#peripheral

Those guys set the amp draw at 5 amps to be safe.But I've run 100 watts on one cable myself with no problems,just check cables for excessive heat until your sure it'll work  Cool
November 21, 2014, 04:39:28 AM
I think it's all about power. The settings they recommend work great (mining at 61.766GH's)

I think the error that they have made is that they want to keep output wattage as low as possible.
They calculated this as 0.8W per GH. This would mean about 50Watt. The power supply can give about 72Wat (6*12).

I think they well underestimated the wattage per GH. I think this device is about 1.5W/GH (94.5W). I haven't measured it!
Maybe someone should...

This means there isn't enough juice to get to the miner. 6 Amp maximum is just to little for this miner.
As it pulls power, the power supply really gets hot until in the end it burns out. (Which could really start a fire so be warned!)

Mine is now running with an xbox360 adapter with a supply of 14Amp and it's running perfectly for 40 hours.
Adapter isn't even a little hot. I think you should at least use 10Amp or at least 100W to get this miner to work properly.

Another great power supply would be from an old computer. The yellow and black pin of a mollux must be more then enough to get this thing going.

Regards

Xump
November 21, 2014, 03:50:00 AM
Zombie, unplug, reset, zombie, etc...

haven't decided...  An arrow, a hatchet, or a bat.
Activity: 142
Merit: 60
November 20, 2014, 05:59:16 PM
Although I had problems with it going Zombie, the USB power setting mentioned in post #210 seems to have fixed it.

I've had mine running for 49 GH/s stable for the last 48 hours, with no ZOMBIE and zero hardware errors.  I'm happy to run it a bit undervolted as long as it consistently runs, which it does.   Both the power brick and device are at reasonable temperatures, so I don't have to worry about melting the power brick.

Here's what I'm using:

Code:
cgminer.exe --bmsc-options 115200:0.57   -o xxx -u xxx  --bmsc-voltage 0755 --bmsc-freq 0782

Changing the baud rate from 1 to .57 gave me 10 more GH/s at these same voltage and frequency settings, possibly fiddling with it more might get it even better.
Activity: 159
Merit: 100
November 20, 2014, 02:28:43 PM

Can you do me a favour?

Measure the resistance between the outer pin on the 12v side, and any of the mains pins on the PSU (while it's unplugged from the mains, obviously).

If you get a ANY resistance at all, i suggest people throw the PSU out, mainly because the label says that it's double insulated (box within a box) which means you should have no mains reference at all.

What does this mean? Well aside from the fact that you might end up with mains voltage blasting through to the 12v side of things, it's just bad design for a smps.

Also, if you get told that you won't be getting a replacement, and you are going to bin it, please crack it open and take a load of pictures for us, cause i'm betting it's as bad as the USB chargers you can get which blow the arse out of your phones. The lack of over current protection points to this as well.

Hoping this will get to Bitmain and get them to stop including power supplies with their kit, as it's unwanted weight, and unless they are going to pay top dollar for them, they will just be sending out fire hazards. If we the ability to mess about with cgminer and get the kit mining, we have the ability to buy a psu and plug it in, you know, like with the S1/S3/C1/U1/U2.
Activity: 556
Merit: 500
November 20, 2014, 02:12:07 PM
I changed my Windows USB setting per the instructions and I still can't get mine to run more than 10 minutes or so, it goes ZOMBIE. I'm not sure which settings to use, there have been so many thrown around this forum. Really disgusted with this experience.
Activity: 154
November 20, 2014, 01:54:34 PM
Hello,
 I have been kind of busy and dropped off here. I got a S3+ it set up like a dream, why cant they do that with this?

I burned up one power supply running as they suggested. Now I have dialed things back to -bmsc-freq 0782 --bmsc-voltage 0750.  They will run for about 5 hours and then just quit.  Not Zombie, Just not hashing.

I have one powered off a Molex and one with the original power supply, I put a small fan blowing on the Bitmain power supply,

Each runs at about 34 gh, which is a long ways from the Supposed 63. 

I know Bitmain monitors this forum, would someone let us know what is going on?Huh

Barbara

November 20, 2014, 05:47:41 AM
In fact this isn't really funny.
Those voltages are given on their amazon page so I haven't done anything wrong like overclocking.

Still my power supply has a hole burned into it... Could have burnt the house down... (If I was living in the states I could have sued them for this)
Pages:
Jump to: