Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER U3 Discussion and Support Thread - page 70. (Read 149094 times)

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
November 03, 2014, 05:01:31 PM
Anyone else planning on grabbing 1 of these or a couple?
legendary
November 02, 2014, 03:03:30 PM
Another thing that's wrong with these devices is that they should be able to be run from a laptop power supply brick - so 12-20V input or 12 x root(2) V (12v lighting transformer)

I'm not sure what you mean, but they do run from a power supply brick?

My criticism of this device from Bitmain is that the cost is such that it can never be recouped.  This is a coffee table device, a conversation piece, a piece of art, but it will never make the purchaser money.

If Bitmain really wants to support the home miner, the design has to be drastically simplified so that people can make a working miner with parts from their junk box.
To wit, no power supply should be included plus the purchaser provides a heat sink and cooling.  It should be a barebones device which can run from a range of voltages (12V from an old ATX power supply or 18.5V from a laptop brick - in other words whatever is to hand), it should be available with an order quantity of one and the price should be such that no VAT or duty is payable.  Delivery should be low cost.

I don't know what the market for such a device would be, but considering that the Raspberry Pi has sold 3 million, there is evidently considerable demand for products for hackers.

IMO that should be the U3 - DIY  (Really though..??!)

There is nothing they can fix about delivery, there must be a distributor(someone buying in mass volume and selling out of NA).  Mass volume is required for this though.

I am quite excited for the U3, I think I will get two and retire my S1's.  100 Watts for 120 Ghash, pretty nice.  100 Watts is cheap.
legendary
November 02, 2014, 02:29:15 PM
Is anyone from Canada/USA buying these and pushing them?  If so pst me I'd like to buy one.  

Everyone and their profits.. it draws 50 watts, so pretty much zero increase to the power bill.  I can now support an alt coin I like for the cost of the miner.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
November 02, 2014, 01:55:40 PM
at this point, USB miners are worthless other than conversation pieces

Imagine a phone or device with an ASIC chip that mines continually and are embedded in billions of consumer devices.

USB miners are worthless. The way we break the farms and get 'decentralization', as indicated in the thread title, is not with USB's but with embedded ASIC miner chips in devices already cheap and in mass production. Think coffeemaker / miner that is wifi / LAN enabled. Waste miner heat could help keep coffee warm.

^not going to happen. The heating unit in a coffee pot is a $2 metal coil with an on/offr switch. to put an ASIC in there would cost $50 of ASICs, controller, and wifi gear.

operating for maybe an hour a day - you will make an absolute pittance mining, FAR FAR less than the costs of the specialty coffee pot (which would stop working if the internet connection is lost!)
Activity: 924
November 02, 2014, 02:21:50 AM

If Bitmain really wants to support the home miner, the design has to be drastically simplified so that people can make a working miner with parts from their junk box.

Post what the MSRP needs to be for each unit.
Post what TH/s the units needs to be.
Post what the power consumption per unit needs to be.

What you are proposing is really an impossible unit at this point in time given the BTC drop. There is nothing right now that can be built to make a return and if it is only useful as a miner. Dead is home mining and possibly massive farm are dead as well especially those that do not have the cheapest hydro possible.

at this point, USB miners are worthless other than conversation pieces

Imagine a phone or device with an ASIC chip that mines continually and are embedded in billions of consumer devices.

USB miners are worthless. The way we break the farms and get 'decentralization', as indicated in the thread title, is not with USB's but with embedded ASIC miner chips in devices already cheap and in mass production. Think coffeemaker / miner that is wifi / LAN enabled. Waste miner heat could help keep coffee warm.

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009
November 01, 2014, 08:31:02 PM
What I find hilarious;

you have the option to use hosting for these.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
November 01, 2014, 05:40:56 PM
Another thing that's wrong with these devices is that they should be able to be run from a laptop power supply brick - so 12-20V input or 12 x root(2) V (12v lighting transformer)

My criticism of this device from Bitmain is that the cost is such that it can never be recouped.  This is a coffee table device, a conversation piece, a piece of art, but it will never make the purchaser money.

To wit, no power supply should be included plus the purchaser provides a heat sink and cooling.  It should be a barebones device which can run from a range of voltages (12V from an old ATX power supply or 18.5V from a laptop brick - in other words whatever is to hand), it should be available with an order quantity of one and the price should be such that no VAT or duty is payable.  Delivery should be low cost.

I don't know what the market for such a device would be, but considering that the Raspberry Pi has sold 3 million, there is evidently considerable demand for products for hackers.

sounds like an S3+...

at this point, USB miners are worthless other than conversation pieces, and for a reasonable $200 you can get a machine that is still quite small, very quiet, and has a fighting chance to produce a positive return.
Activity: 51
Merit: 0
October 31, 2014, 10:33:40 PM

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
October 31, 2014, 12:22:13 PM

October 31, 2014, 12:11:23 PM

This is designed as a coffee table conversation piece - it's certainly not for hackers.
Activity: 784
Merit: 504
October 28, 2014, 09:43:51 PM
There is customs duty to add as well surely. VAT is to do with Bitmain.  Below a certain price, no VAT or Duty is payable.

I buy lots of stuff from China and never pay any duty or VAT because I keep the cost and weight below certain amounts and perhaps because the vendors lie about the price I paid. Of course this is not possible with a minimum order quantity of 20.  Perhaps Bitmain should team up with some of the vendors in Shenzhen that one can find on aliexpress.com

... You can't complain that Bitmain isn't illegally underdeclaring the value of goods, that's not a valid expectation. Pay your taxes.

I'm complaining that a DIY device is not being marketed and that the order quantity is ridiculous.  There would be no power supply included and it would be up to the recipient to bolt on a heatsink and cooling.  I've got plenty of heatsinks and cooling fans from defunct processors.  With the cost of VAT and duty and the mark up of middle men, these are being marketed to the naive.  How is that for ethical company behaviour ?

Additionally I pay all the taxes that I'm asked to pay so I resent your allegation that I'm not.

1) This is NOT a DIY device
2) Don't buy it if you don't want to
3) I resent that you're resenting that I resented that you were asking Bitmain to underdeclare the value of imported goods in order to avoid you having to pay taxes.

I'm perfectly aware that it is not a DIY device.
You're helping to market a device that will never make a cent for the purchasers.
I was asking no such thing.  I just remarked upon how it is that I've never paid VAT or duty on items from China.

It's true, there was no request to lower stated cost for customs or taxation purposes from what I read.

Dogie, if your role in this thread is that of a company representative you should temper your words and act accordingly.

And to Tupsu's point, it doesn't matter where the added expense comes from; it the product costs too much (net to the consumer) then it's "No Sale". Don't create friction in the purchase process. This isn't Q4 2013, when even rational people tripped over themselves to throw money out the window.

Dogie's role in the company BitMainTech is limited to Technical Support Employee as far as I know.
So, this post should be taken as Dogie not as a BitMainTech employee.
Ignore Dogie if you can't digest his double playing role.  Grin
Activity: 138
Merit: 102
October 28, 2014, 05:19:42 PM
There is customs duty to add as well surely. VAT is to do with Bitmain.  Below a certain price, no VAT or Duty is payable.

I buy lots of stuff from China and never pay any duty or VAT because I keep the cost and weight below certain amounts and perhaps because the vendors lie about the price I paid. Of course this is not possible with a minimum order quantity of 20.  Perhaps Bitmain should team up with some of the vendors in Shenzhen that one can find on aliexpress.com

... You can't complain that Bitmain isn't illegally underdeclaring the value of goods, that's not a valid expectation. Pay your taxes.

I'm complaining that a DIY device is not being marketed and that the order quantity is ridiculous.  There would be no power supply included and it would be up to the recipient to bolt on a heatsink and cooling.  I've got plenty of heatsinks and cooling fans from defunct processors.  With the cost of VAT and duty and the mark up of middle men, these are being marketed to the naive.  How is that for ethical company behaviour ?

Additionally I pay all the taxes that I'm asked to pay so I resent your allegation that I'm not.

3) I resent that you're resenting that I resented that you were asking Bitmain to underdeclare the value of imported goods in order to avoid you having to pay taxes.

You're helping to market a device that will never make a cent for the purchasers.
I was asking no such thing.  I just remarked upon how it is that I've never paid VAT or duty on items from China.

It's true, there was no request to lower stated cost for customs or taxation purposes from what I read.

Dogie, if your role in this thread is that of a company representative you should temper your words and act accordingly.

And to Tupsu's point, it doesn't matter where the added expense comes from; it the product costs too much (net to the consumer) then it's "No Sale". Don't create friction in the purchase process. This isn't Q4 2013, when even rational people tripped over themselves to throw money out the window.
October 28, 2014, 03:01:37 PM

legendary
dogiecoin.com
October 28, 2014, 02:48:59 PM

October 28, 2014, 02:43:32 PM

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1010
October 28, 2014, 01:21:06 PM
There is customs duty to add as well surely. VAT is to do with Bitmain.  Below a certain price, no VAT or Duty is payable.

I buy lots of stuff from China and never pay any duty or VAT because I keep the cost and weight below certain amounts and perhaps because the vendors lie about the price I paid. Of course this is not possible with a minimum order quantity of 20.  Perhaps Bitmain should team up with some of the vendors in Shenzhen that one can find on aliexpress.com

I agree with this fully.  Asking the most trusted ASCI creators to pull Illegal moves is not a good move for bitcoin.

why not? not so long time ago Bitmain had no problems to underdeclare goods.

but I guess that was before establishing as the most trusted ASIC vendor. now it is just any other asic company, with huge mining operation, with payed shills on forums, etc.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
October 28, 2014, 11:57:34 AM
Will you provide a RPi img for these miners?
If yes, than do it also for the B+ model, thanks!
legendary
October 28, 2014, 09:38:01 AM

I agree with this fully.  Asking the most trusted ASCI creators to pull Illegal moves is not a good move for bitcoin.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
October 28, 2014, 12:34:55 AM

October 27, 2014, 08:58:08 PM

Thats because Estonia is expensive to ship to, you can take that up with UPS. Shipping to UK is $230.

PS, VAT is nothing to do with shipping prices or Bitmain, its your government charging that.

There is customs duty to add as well surely.

VAT is to do with Bitmain.  Below a certain price, no VAT or Duty is payable.

Pages:
Jump to: