Pages:
Author

Topic: ARG Puzzle with 3.5 BTC Private Key Prize, Game Over - page 7. (Read 99417 times)

Activity: 345
Merit: 500
Any chance we can get a final version of that awesome .PDF?

shorena is making progress on it. I'm helping out a tiny bit. Smiley
Thanks. If there's something I can do to help, feel free to ask.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10

shorena is making progress on it. I'm helping out a tiny bit. Smiley
Activity: 345
Merit: 500
Activity: 89
Merit: 11
See you all at the next treasurehunt.
Can someone tell me the thread page of the the clue right before this got solved? This thread progresses way too fast, and I do check up on it but I don't fully read all 114 pages.

This was my summary of all the clues that we had at the time: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7707789

Then OP posted the image that Gatekeeper replicated here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7708233

Which led to the solution, which was to make the 'w' in the 51 byte string uppercase, then to apply the Wow signal strength as a cipher key (which several of us had already attempted and published the results of).
Activity: 157
Merit: 100
Can someone tell me the thread page of the the clue right before this got solved? This thread progresses way too fast, and I do check up on it but I don't fully read all 114 pages.

Look at Gatekeeper's posts, eg:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7708242

long thread, and I searched, but how was z69JZqlJn862D1ndx7oLVEMmVOlP1zewEeUCrsI7Roahzpeny7P obtained from some image?
its from the top line in file wow.jpg

thanks, guess that part was relatively easy
I want to take a moment to say thank you to all the players: to those who showed support - your words resonated deep and carried me through the game, to those who gave criticism when criticism was due - I listened closely and took note, and finally to everyone who contributed their time, creativity, and efforts - I am in awe of your talents and skills. I leave this experience humbled by a wonderful and dynamic community.

Are you Tatiana? http://bitcoinmagazine.com/12191/transcript-interview-tatiana-moroz-regarding-sxsw-bitcoin

hell of a puzzle (I came in too late)
My attempt to identify where credit is due. This is a certainly flawed list of the people who were the first to post crucial points of progress on puzzles. There were also many other contributions to the effort from people who appear infrequently on this list, or in some cases, not at all, but these were the big steps that moved us forward:

(dark wallet)
> suggested morse code: S4VV4S
> determined proper direction for morse decoding: moinen
> correct set of long words: shorena
> correct search phrase: mirth23

(contra)
> found the enderman image: codenomnom / mtgox555
> posted enderman image: micaman
> created correct image overlay: moinen
> found bitly address: Gatekeeper

(mindthecraft)
> found IP address: Gatekeeper
> linked IP address to minecraft: mtgox555

(minecraft server)
> posted QR quadrant 1: newuser01
> QR quadrants 2-4: newuser01, shorena, moinen, and several others
> assembled QR: moinen

(Onion.7z)
> opened 7z: Yemmster
> posted hidden text: Yemmster
> noted swordfighting characters: S4VV4S
> found Tomb of Horrors hint: mtgox555
> found Tomb of Horrors image: mtgox555
> figured out to double-sha passwords: Timmmaahh

(Elements.jpg)
> posted about platonic solids: mtgox555
> figured out basic password approach: mtgox555
> first opened 7z: arg
> found ps thumbnail shortcut to Again.7z: arg
> figured out full password (after hint): mtgox555

(Algo.jpg)
> identified figure as a Tetractys: Gatekeeper
> determined password: micaman

(DoD)
> noted music files were recently modified: Yemmster
> found QR codes in audio: protokol, arg, Prospero
> decoded QR code: arg

(Space.mp4)
> found song information: tsoPANos
> found original video source: mirth23
> pulled binary out of Space.mp4: arg/Voyager
> converted binary to .7z: alphabetacanary
> posted password approach: mirth23, Prospero, arg
> found password first: arg
> posted password: xELx

(Crops.jpg)
> identified the particular crop circle: mirth23
> found the source image: Timmmaahh
> found correct morse code: mtgox555
> found Wow signal page: xELx
> found signal strength password: Prospero

(Wow.JPG)
> correct interpretation of character map: xELx (during the Crops puzzle)
> identification of Vigenère cipher approach: several people
> figured out OP hint to make w uppercaes: Gatekeeper

Thanks again to everyone for fun times. I learned a couple things, and dusted off parts of my brain that I haven't had a chance to use in a while.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
If I had won it would have gone towards my engagement ring fund for the SO.

Are.. are you proposing to me? On here? HOW ROMANTIC! Yes! Yes, I will, xELx.
Hey now, let's keep this civil. This is the internet after all.
Activity: 28
what card you whant?
i have about 20 hd5970, hd5870, hd5850.. older cards now, but still very powerfull beasts!

This would be for a gaming rig. I know, talking gaming GPU's on a BTC forum. I've been eyeing up the 780's for my next build but if I had 1.75BTC, I would have topped up to a titan black. Or maybe just a TI. It's not like I spend enough time in front of a computer as is..

Are.. are you proposing to me? On here? HOW ROMANTIC! Yes! Yes, I will, xELx.
Activity: 14
Theres no need to stress him Tongue

Edit: What would you do when you had won the price? I would pay my tuition fee and the rest would go to the others Smiley
Activity: 802
Merit: 1003
GCVMMWH
I want to take a moment to say thank you to all the players: to those who showed support - your words resonated deep and carried me through the game, to those who gave criticism when criticism was due - I listened closely and took note, and finally to everyone who contributed their time, creativity, and efforts - I am in awe of your talents and skills. I leave this experience humbled by a wonderful and dynamic community.

lhZhpnnbrwm
Activity: 644
Merit: 250

yes, was a great game, thank you for that!

any plan for the next one?  Wink

btw. please tell me: what was the "xmp" data which we plottet out?
something to confuse us, some mistake and shouldnt be in that file or something else? (i realy like to know)
Activity: 98
Thank you for this amazing, but fucking hard puzzle. It was a fun ride and I think every single one of us learned something because of it.

I totally agree with you, it was fun and awesome ride Cheesy. And i learned a lot (Hiding files within a file which is hiddin in another file ...... WTF Cheesy)
copper member
Activity: 3892
Merit: 2197
Verified awesomeness ✔
Thank you for this amazing, but fucking hard puzzle. It was a fun ride and I think every single one of us learned something because of it.
Activity: 46
Merit: 2
Activity: 109
Now that this is over I wanted to remind people that there's a treasure hunt at mathgate.info:
http://mathgate.info/treasurehunt.php
There are a lot of treasures ranging from 1 mbit to 1 bitcoin, so it's less winner-take-all.

I know a lot of people worked very hard on this puzzle and are disappointed that they didn't get the treasure, or even part of it. I thought of a way to alleviate this a little while also helping me out with a little market research as well.

It's clear to me from this monster thread that the idea of a treasure hunt that leads to a bitcoin private key can be a popular idea. This is also what's happening at mathgate.info, but the "search" simply involves finding a certain formal mathematical proof. I'm happy for the OP that her treasure hunt went so well, but I'm wondering why there's not more action in the mathgate.info treasure hunt. It seems to me that you are the people to ask.

I have 0.4 bitcoins to give away. The first 4 users who have at least 3 posts in this thread will get 0.1 bitcoins if you post a reason that you are not taking part in the mathgate.info treasure hunt. (If you are taking part in the mathgate.info treasure hunt, then you've probably already found 0.1 bitcoins there anyway.) I'll skip responses that are clearly intended as jokes. It's the first 4 users with reasonable responses that will get 0.1 bitcoins each.

I find the website in general isn't that well designed. It's difficult on my eyes to properly read the large amount of text displayed without them feeling strained due to how everything is formatted. Having yellow as a background doesn't help either. Navigating it properly as well isn't that easy either Sad.

It is well enough designed considering they do not collect IPs or use cookies. It reminds me of web 1.01 sites from the 90's. I'm sure they could do better, but math guys aren't typically into aesthetics so long as the result and process are correct.
Activity: 109
How do you know Gatekeeper isn't going to share the winnings with those who contributed to solving the puzzle? Instead of bashing him, why don't you post your addresses and see what happens....
Because he shouldn't have attempted to win this, he has 1510btc, in one address(which is bad), and he claimed ANOTHER prize. I say somebody else should have gotten this, I mean the dude has almost a million $ from BTC, yet he also got 3.5btc more

I've watched this with fascination. However, I do not think having money makes someone "bad". Solving a puzzle that is open to everyone is not "bad". I fail to see the logic. Once an individual reaches a certain level of wealth, should they quit trying to acquire wealth? It's not like the winner used child or slave labor to solve the puzzle - that would be bad. Your definition of "bad" is flawed.
Activity: 644
Merit: 250
Edit: What would you do when you had won the price? I would pay my tuition fee and the rest would go to the others Smiley

Arg and myself would have split the coins. 1.75BTC each. My load would have gone into a new graphics card and the leftovers (considering it's not that much anyway) would have been split between a few of the solves. Without them, I'd have probably been many days behind. I'm interested in hearing what everyone else would do with the BTC.

what card you whant?
i have about 20 hd5970, hd5870, hd5850.. older cards now, but still very powerfull beasts!

we use it for our nokia sl3 servers, but if we get the system working with our fpga cards,
we shut down all servers.

i would also exchange cards against coding fpga to do the job.
because i cant get sha1 working with the ztex boards... what i need..

so nokia uses sha1 with salt (0000-9999)

Pages:
Jump to: