Author

Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread - page 116. (Read 521761 times)

legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1008
June 11, 2013, 01:14:21 PM
I can't get Armory to work any more.

It just sits at "99% - Synchronizing with Network - 0 blocks". My log looks like this: http://pastebin.com/PmncB0AB

Ie. these lines just keep repeating in the log:

Code:
2013-06-11 18:39 (INFO) -- ArmoryQt.py:4349 - Starting load blockchain
2013-06-11 18:39 (INFO) -- ArmoryQt.py:1243 - loadBlockchainIfNecessary
2013-06-11 18:39 (INFO) -- ArmoryQt.py:1289 - Setting netmode: 0
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
June 09, 2013, 03:25:16 PM
I haven't opened armory for a while because I use bitcoin qt for day to day use. Now I was going to transfer funds to my qt wallet, but I can't connect armory up to the blockchain. It scans the chain for 5-10 minutes, then I get a runtime error from windows, and it shuts down. Anyone have a clue what might be the problem?
Probably you have been hit by some of the data structures used to represent the block chain are now to big to be addressed in a 32-bit application.  You suddently need a 64 bit version of Armory.  That is very unfortunate, and unfortunately only one of many problems caused by the exploding size of the block chain.

Make sure you are using the latest 64-bit version of the software available at the downloads page.  If not, make sure you uninstall the old version first, before installing the new version.  Your wallets are safe through an uninstall-reinstall cycle.

I'm working on the "persistent blockchain" stuff that will resolve all these issues.  I have been completely consumed by other important things, so this has been slower than I expected.  But it's top of my priority list, for when I do eventually get enough development time to do it.
Activity: 547
Merit: 500
Decor in numeris
June 09, 2013, 01:57:11 PM
I haven't opened armory for a while because I use bitcoin qt for day to day use. Now I was going to transfer funds to my qt wallet, but I can't connect armory up to the blockchain. It scans the chain for 5-10 minutes, then I get a runtime error from windows, and it shuts down. Anyone have a clue what might be the problem?
Probably you have been hit by some of the data structures used to represent the block chain are now to big to be addressed in a 32-bit application.  You suddently need a 64 bit version of Armory.  That is very unfortunate, and unfortunately only one of many problems caused by the exploding size of the block chain.
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
June 09, 2013, 01:31:33 PM
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
June 05, 2013, 04:49:26 PM
When my bitcoins get low and I try sending some, I get this strange message about Selectcoin not working, followed by reassurance that it's probably not my fault (?).  lol

This bug is still a problem, and this has not yet been responded to.  I have 1.5 bitcoins that are spread into such tiny chunks amongst about a hundred keys that I can't access them with one transfer. 

olkay this is getting frustrating.  answer me please

Sorry CanadianGuy,

I'm super overwhelmed with things, I think I will have time to return to being more responsive soon.   My apologies. 

It sounds like there is a bug.  Perhaps someone who has this problem, who isn't so concerned about the privacy, could make a watching-only copy of their wallet for me, so that I could catch the select-coins bug in a debugger.  This would help me find the problem, because I've never actually had this happen to me before.

For now, you might consider moving the coins in a couple transactions, perhaps 0.5 BTC each.  I don't know if there's a specific input that is a problem, or if it's just the overall size (in kB) of the resulting tx.    You'll pay a few extra cents in tx fees, but at least you'll get access to those coins...
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
June 05, 2013, 03:44:47 PM
you can put "onlynet=tor" also in the config...
Even better.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
June 05, 2013, 03:41:43 PM
When my bitcoins get low and I try sending some, I get this strange message about Selectcoin not working, followed by reassurance that it's probably not my fault (?).  lol

This bug is still a problem, and this has not yet been responded to.  I have 1.5 bitcoins that are spread into such tiny chunks amongst about a hundred keys that I can't access them with one transfer. 

olkay this is getting frustrating.  answer me please
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
June 05, 2013, 03:16:02 PM
You're going to need a bitcoin.conf file in order for Armory to be able to talk to Bitcoin-Qt.

If you want to use Armory and Bitcoin-Qt completely anonymously via Tor here is how I'd set it up:

1. Open Bitcoin-Qt, set it use your Tor proxy, then shutdown Bitcoin-Qt.

2. Configure Tor to create a hidden service that forwards to 127.0.0.1:8333 (Assuming you're running Tor on the same machine). Note the hidden service hostname.

3. Find the directory that contains peers.dat and wallet.dat. Delete peers.dat

4. In this same directory create a bitcoin.conf file with the following contents:

Code:
listen=1
dnsseed=0

bind=127.0.0.1:8333

tor=127.0.0.1:9050
externalip=

5. Start Bitcoin-Qt with the "-onlynet=tor" command line option.

In this way you will only connect to hidden services and Armory will be able to communicate with Bitcoin-Qt.
well, you can put "onlynet=tor" also in the config...
legendary
June 05, 2013, 03:10:45 PM
You're going to need a bitcoin.conf file in order for Armory to be able to talk to Bitcoin-Qt.

If you want to use Armory and Bitcoin-Qt completely anonymously via Tor here is how I'd set it up:

1. Open Bitcoin-Qt, set it use your Tor proxy, then shutdown Bitcoin-Qt.

2. Configure Tor to create a hidden service that forwards to 127.0.0.1:8333 (Assuming you're running Tor on the same machine). Note the hidden service hostname.

3. Find the directory that contains peers.dat and wallet.dat. Delete peers.dat

4. In this same directory create a bitcoin.conf file with the following contents:

Code:
listen=1
dnsseed=0

bind=127.0.0.1:8333

tor=127.0.0.1:9050
externalip=

5. Start Bitcoin-Qt with the "-onlynet=tor" command line option.

In this way you will only connect to hidden services and Armory will be able to communicate with Bitcoin-Qt.
KSV
Activity: 398
Merit: 250
SVERIGES VIRTUELLA VALUTAVÄXLING
June 05, 2013, 02:31:33 PM
awesome job man
Activity: 614
June 05, 2013, 02:23:59 PM
There is an option in Armory called "Skip online check". Are you using that?

Yes, but when it starts up it still won't show the balance or transactions of my wallet.
legendary
June 05, 2013, 02:15:08 PM
There is an option in Armory called "Skip online check". Are you using that?
June 05, 2013, 02:11:40 PM
I like to run Bitcoin-QT through Tor. But I can't operate Armory when QT has Tor running. So, I have to open QT, disable Tor proxy, restart it, then I can use Armory. Is there a better way to do this?

Do you use Armory with bitcoind or bitcoin-qt? If bitcoin-qt: Both at the same time?

Ente

Just QT
legendary
Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001
June 05, 2013, 05:28:46 AM
I like to run Bitcoin-QT through Tor. But I can't operate Armory when QT has Tor running. So, I have to open QT, disable Tor proxy, restart it, then I can use Armory. Is there a better way to do this?

Do you use Armory with bitcoind or bitcoin-qt? If bitcoin-qt: Both at the same time?

Ente
Activity: 57
Merit: 0
June 05, 2013, 02:02:49 AM
You'll need to play around with the configurations a bit for everything to work with proxies: I think I had to add "listen=1" to my bitcoin.conf for armory to be able to connect to it again.
Activity: 196
June 04, 2013, 10:49:56 PM

June 04, 2013, 05:24:50 PM
LvM
Activity: 126
June 02, 2013, 04:19:43 PM
Btw. since this is the Armory Thread: The dev of Armory (etotheipi) also has a proposal to overcome some of the blockchain-storage-limits (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ultimate-blockchain-compression-w-trust-free-lite-nodes-88208).
An implementation for current bitcoin is in work here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/fundraising-finish-ultimate-blockchain-compression-204283
A similiar idea for a new blockchain is also in work here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/white-paper-purely-p2p-crypto-currency-with-finite-mini-blockchain-195275

All these proposals lack to use carry-overs. In all professionel bookkeeping this is the ALWAYS used, QUITE EASY way to avoid ALL size problems:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2307474

BTC in its present state and DB structure certainly cannot be helped by workarounds of bloody beginners knowing not even the basics of financial management.
Activity: 350
Merit: 251
Dolphie Selfie
May 31, 2013, 09:52:46 AM
Btw. since this is the Armory Thread: The dev of Armory (etotheipi) also has a proposal to overcome some of the blockchain-storage-limits (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ultimate-blockchain-compression-w-trust-free-lite-nodes-88208).
An implementation for current bitcoin is in work here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/fundraising-finish-ultimate-blockchain-compression-204283
A similiar idea for a new blockchain is also in work here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/white-paper-purely-p2p-crypto-currency-with-finite-mini-blockchain-195275
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
May 31, 2013, 08:08:35 AM
@K1773R: You are right. sorry for that.

@Chrisrico: Just to download and store 9GB of data might be very easy for you, as you probably have high speed broadband internet access with a very nice computer. Good for you. Now go back to the use case of money transfers where immigrants will send money back home. IMHO money transfers are at the moment one of the very few REAL economic uses of Bitcoins, besides hoarding.

If you go to China, Korea, Brazil, Africa, Middle East, India you will discover that the ability to download 9GB of data through a mobile network (yes, decent fixed networks do hardly exist in these parts of the world) will cost at around US$40/month. In these countries we often talk about a month salary. The remittance market is huge, massively under served by good solutions and extremely expensive to use. Bitcoin (or things like ripple or open transaction ) is well positioned to take over the role of Moneygram, Hawala systems, banks and Western Union). However, it needs to be cheap and designed in such a way it is extremely resource efficient (energy, memory, storage, bandwidth).

Ignoring the problem because you are not affected by it is not the right approach: Think customer!!!!

I know it is extremely challenging for the current generation of coders to write programs in a low-memory footprint environment. However, if we really want to bring Bitcoin in mainstream area, we should have a light-weight Armory client.
Jump to: