Author

Topic: ASICMINER Speculation Thread - page 215. (Read 808768 times)

legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000
July 01, 2013, 09:30:47 AM
BFL will surely ship eventually. It would be folly to completely disregard the competition.

I think it's a mistake to give them undeserved credit.
Especially since the did deserve discredit.

And should have an advertising ban until proven to deliver

I click a BFL ad everytime I see it... More ad dollars out of their pocket and into the site owner's bank account  Grin
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
July 01, 2013, 09:29:22 AM
I'm doing my part to keep prices sane....I've put up a bunch of asks on btctc...unless AM suddenly starts issuing 0.05 dividends...I'm not pulling them
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
July 01, 2013, 09:08:22 AM
It just begs the question: What would direct shares at auction bring?

About 5 at the moment, more if you were selling lots because there aren't many available below 5 now on the passthroughs.

But I've never really understand the noticeable price differential between buying direct and PT shares. I've bought all my shares PT, and then its a 10-minute job to ask for them to be converted to direct shares. Its not difficult, and I wasn't charged anything ......

But yeah, if I was selling, I would sell on auction. Might even try eBay. Everything goes for more there  Grin
Activity: 504
Merit: 502
July 01, 2013, 09:02:08 AM
It just begs the question: What would direct shares at auction bring?
July 01, 2013, 08:44:31 AM
Jeez louis, latest ask on btct is 4.75, are we going to break 5 before D-Day?

It was only 24 hours ago people were predicting we would only break 4 before D-Day?

hot hot hot!
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
July 01, 2013, 02:34:22 AM
there's gotta be a newbie around here that will sell me his 100 shares for 10 btc total...

where's ol' dingleberry when you need 'em?

Maybe try I will buy 100 shares for over 9000 mbtc Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 994
July 01, 2013, 02:34:03 AM
there's gotta be a newbie around here that will sell me his 100 shares for 10 btc total...

Could you really sleep at night though?
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
July 01, 2013, 02:32:44 AM

legendary
July 01, 2013, 02:29:33 AM
The fact is, most people are riding the share price increase while collecting dividends.  The incentive to sell just isn't there.  If you look at the long term share price chart, there has never been a significant drop in share price.

Oh no I meant that sarcastically my preference is to liquidate now and then and try to sneak in a few at a lower price on one of the three exchanges compared to the rest
Tends to be havelock since people keep forgetting about the shares there every 5 pages so I keep spamming it to increase its liquidity although its as liquid as btct or greater on the 1/100's
That said it's nice to have a discount that and havelock has no fees till you sell if you just feel like holding them
It's always dividends and announcements that make it move a lot but holding from 2.5 would have been a nice gain too  Wink
Basically a Vycid strategy without always buying those low end options
legendary
July 01, 2013, 02:25:03 AM
The fact is, most people are riding the share price increase while collecting dividends.  The incentive to sell just isn't there.  If you look at the long term share price chart, there has never been a significant drop in share price.

legendary
July 01, 2013, 02:22:23 AM
I'm still trying to make a good guess at network growth relative to ASICminer share price based on short term and long term estimates mumble XD
Darn holders  Grin
legendary
July 01, 2013, 02:20:49 AM
I posted in another thread, but I should post here that I am buying AM shares at 3.7, if anyone wants to sell.  Wink
Best I can do is 4.6 Smiley

I'd sell at 6.  Anything lower than that is -EV.
Activity: 207
July 01, 2013, 02:18:20 AM
I posted in another thread, but I should post here that I am buying AM shares at 3.7, if anyone wants to sell.  Wink
Best I can do is 4.6 Smiley
legendary
July 01, 2013, 02:17:51 AM

For downward speculation
A victim of fulfilling it's own promises I like that spin Cheesy
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/why-are-people-cheering-that-asicminer-will-bring-800-1000th-online-this-year-247168

that thread is hilarious.  a bunch of whiners complaining about the free market "oh, look, we can't compete anymore, boo hoo"

They are seriously sitting there saying, please don't grow and make so much money and improve your company, cause I want a piece of the pie, too.

What a bunch of crybabies.

CSI moment
Well we did locate a Grilled cat Cool
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2622424

___
It's looks like its chilling
July 01, 2013, 02:14:52 AM
July 01, 2013, 02:13:56 AM
True. Just most people believe the two aren't connected i.e. most people believe AM's share price rise is not due to drop in BTC/USD but other factors.

So you have indeed protected the overall value of your portfolio by investing in AM. So have I. It would only be a hedge I think it if was "understood" a lower BTC/USD price would produce a higher AM share value, and vice versa. I'm not sure either is true, hence its not a hedge.

right, I agree with what you are saying.  It's basically a lucky hedge, not a real one.

July 01, 2013, 01:49:12 AM
I don't really see that as a hedge...  more like savvy investing on your part.
well, possibly, but the fact remains that as BTC's value dropped, my investment in AM has saved my overall value.  That's why I see it as a hedge, and any stock that performs well would do the same.

True. Just most people believe the two aren't connected i.e. most people believe AM's share price rise is not due to drop in BTC/USD but other factors.

So you have indeed protected the overall value of your portfolio by investing in AM. So have I. It would only be a hedge I think it if was "understood" a lower BTC/USD price would produce a higher AM share value, and vice versa. I'm not sure either is true, hence its not a hedge.
July 01, 2013, 01:41:37 AM
well, possibly, but the fact remains that as BTC's value dropped, my investment in AM has saved my overall value.  That's why I see it as a hedge, and any stock that performs well would do the same.
Activity: 362
July 01, 2013, 01:33:22 AM
In  both scenarios AM share price climbs.

Scenario A) USD exchange rate drops:  AM is a good hedge against the exchange rate.
Scenario B) USD exchange rate increases: AM share price x USD increase= insane profits. This will spur interest thus more investors increasing share price.

I can certainly buy (B) - increase $$$, everyone feels good, have more money to invest in something bitcoin related. AM is one of the best bets around.

Not sure about (A), how does AM hedge against the exchange rate?

well, for me, AM has helped me acquire more bitcoins, so even though the value of each bitcoin has dropped, my overall value has increased, because i have a lot more bitcoisn than I used to, thanks to AM.

I understand that, we are probably all in that particular boat. But my specific question relates to a sudden change in BTC/USD rate either way. Would AM price go up or down based on that change?

AM shares are not a "hedge" against BTCUSD in any sense of the word.

An increase in BTCUSD has two contradictory effects on AM shares: (1) it lowers operational costs, (2) it attracts more competition. Which of the effects will dominate share price at any particular time depends on many factors.
Activity: 231
July 01, 2013, 01:27:06 AM
In  both scenarios AM share price climbs.

Scenario A) USD exchange rate drops:  AM is a good hedge against the exchange rate.
Scenario B) USD exchange rate increases: AM share price x USD increase= insane profits. This will spur interest thus more investors increasing share price.

I can certainly buy (B) - increase $$$, everyone feels good, have more money to invest in something bitcoin related. AM is one of the best bets around.

Not sure about (A), how does AM hedge against the exchange rate?

well, for me, AM has helped me acquire more bitcoins, so even though the value of each bitcoin has dropped, my overall value has increased, because i have a lot more bitcoisn than I used to, thanks to AM.

It doesn't make sense to me that the recent $10-$15 drop in BTC value had anything to do the rise in AM valuation.  People are seeing a positive track record from friedcat and beginning to pay attention to fundamentals when considering an investment in AM.
Jump to: