Pages:
Author

Topic: Astronomers may have found alien megastructures orbiting star near the Milky Way - page 2. (Read 4732 times)

legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004
scientists are nerds and nerds want to believe in aliens. its speculation and not really science but mostly scientists like to throw provocative headlines like this out there because it can translate into funding.

Well I mean it could translate into funding, but remember that these guys who found it are working for a university and not, say, NASA... There might be a bit of funding from the university to do some more research into the matter, but I wouldn't think that they would be throwing millions of dollars toward them at all (not even close to that number probably).
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
scientists are nerds and nerds want to believe in aliens. its speculation and not really science but mostly scientists like to throw provocative headlines like this out there because it can translate into funding.

most scientists I know are curious people by nature.  maybe that translates into wanting to believe, although there's a pretty fine line between that and simply acknowledging the possibility and exploring that within the limits of available information.

in this case I don't know that they launched the headline frenzy.  I've seen a range of headlines on this issue, from more moderated to crazy stuff.  that I lay at the feet of the click-baiters and media folk, moreso than the scientists- at least on this issue

I will agree that some of these guys can be funding whores.  not all, certainly, but I've seen some pump their cause more than a little to get that next grant.....

legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
As a scientist I want to believe also, but there is not much science here. It's interesting. However it is a long way from discovering aliens.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010
Ad maiora!
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
Must be some insane "bones" to be supporting weight of creatures that large given structural rigidity needs goes up by cubing for ever size doubling.
An interesting question would be whether a mass of iron the size of a planet would naturally become a sphere.  Easy to prove that it would.  Then move to the most rigid material known of, and ask the same question.  I'm certain that it would.

Therefore, size constraints exist on non spherical structures.

And what we are talking about here is way, way beyond the size of a planet.

One might argue then, what of a solar sail, maintained against the light pressure from the star, exactly matching gravity?

This has been studied and is the subject of some patents.
Activity: 138
Merit: 100
Must be some insane "bones" to be supporting weight of creatures that large given structural rigidity needs goes up by cubing for ever size doubling.
Activity: 106
Merit: 10
Those advance aliens will come here for sure. it is just a matter of time. Humanity should stop this useless wars we are currently on. And instead let us unite and take it to the next level. One nation one planet. If we are united and all our goal is to conquer space will be a Type 2 Cilivilization in just a matter of 50 years.

Why we are fighting over this small lands? There are limitless planets out there that waiting to be discovered.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon
i agree, there are many things that can explain this,

it bothers me when I see legit science efforts junked up with stuff like this
True, but asserting that this is possibly artificial is not junk science.

A primary method of establishing that something is artificial is to look at it's level of intrinsic chaos, it's entropy.

Things in the universe tend toward low entropy.  Forces cause that - gravitational, chemical, etc.

From a long way away, looking at Earth, one can deduce that it likely contains life.  From the percentages of gases in the atmosphere.  Oxygen is reactive, so there is no natural way that an atmosphere would continue over long periods of time to contain oxygen - unless it was being renewed.  EG, plants.

Similarly, implausible blocking of 20% of a star's light periodically indicates something moving around that star, which has NOT moved to low entropy.  EG, Huh

When you are using  Huh I start to get scared a bit. Why?
Deep inside I know we are not alone in the universe. I want to believe. But deep inside, I am a bit scared of a distant culture who turned one of our biggest fantasy into reality, like a dyson sphere. Their culture may very well be based on a predatory evolution, like us. If I can recognize it, no matter how futuristic the concept is, then it is a reflection of us, with the good and the bad.

legendary

True, but asserting that this is possibly artificial is not junk science.

A primary method of establishing that something is artificial is to look at it's level of intrinsic chaos, it's entropy.

Things in the universe tend toward low entropy.  Forces cause that - gravitational, chemical, etc.

From a long way away, looking at Earth, one can deduce that it likely contains life.  From the percentages of gases in the atmosphere.  Oxygen is reactive, so there is no natural way that an atmosphere would continue over long periods of time to contain oxygen - unless it was being renewed.  EG, plants.

Similarly, implausible blocking of 20% of a star's light periodically indicates something moving around that star, which has NOT moved to low entropy.  EG, Huh

legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 1028
I personally believe there are aliens living out in depths of sky but never thought anything like megabuild etc.
I think we should put eye on it for long, it sounds crazy interesting.
Also why would you send them radiowaves? To make them get us and enslave us?
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
It's about time -- All merrit accepted !!!

vip
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145
There are no aliens on stars in milky way, no water, not a damn thing. The astronomers/ Nasa/ Space freaks were running dry, they weren't getting funded so they had to come up with something that get people's attention and this what they came up with and now they're going to start working on programmes to send more space crafts, build more advanced radios etc. etc. and they'll get paid to live a happy rich life for another 50 years or so. And then they'll find water/aliens on some other planet.

Enormous water reservoir found in space is bigger than 140 trillion earth oceans

Okay, so no water to speak of, but still some water nonetheless.  Tongue Tongue Tongue
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038
Once you see the light, it dawns on you. "hey somebody crafted this light", "oh WTF is this? 100% PURE HOLY WATER!".

It's amazing how much of science remains intact and useful when you sea what's really going on. It really leaves little doubt man and life on earth are an artificial creation.

This space hoax, what a joke!
legendary
From what I understood from the article and didn't really understand about it, was how where they able to locate this sphere that completely surrounds a whole star?  Wouldn't that sphere just be "hidden" by the darkness of space, since within the inside would be the star?  

Only if it were a complete sphere.  Before you build the sphere, you would first build a ring around the planet star.

Maybe we just happened to catch them in the process of building it.
  No.  Materials will not form a "ring around a star."

Materials are, at scales of millions of miles, fluids.  That is why all the planets are roundular.

In turn this means that compressive forces dominate.  A "ring" around a star collapses and becomes planets, or asteroids.

But that's not what was found.  What was found was high fluctuations in light output, with a periodicity.  From that you can figure the distance it is from the star.  And basically, it is HUGE.  Think in terms of half the size of the star.

Might be a black hole or such.
Activity: 292
Merit: 250
^ progress isn't as fast as most would like. Personal jetpacks, and flying cars aren't the norm yet either. So what's new? And no, the moon landings weren't faked. I agree that there is a deception in there, but that isn't it.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/forget-water-on-mars-astronomers-may-have-just-found-giant-alien-megastructures-orbiting-a-star-near-a6693886.html

A large cluster of objects in space look like something you would "expect an alien civilization to build", astronomers have said.  

Jason Wright, an astronomer from Penn State University, is set to publish a report on the “bizarre” star system suggesting the objects could be a “swarm of megastructures”, according to a new report.

I was fascinated by how crazy it looked,” Wright told The Atlantic. “Aliens should always be the very last hypothesis you consider, but this looked like something you would expect an alien civilization to build.”  

Shocked Shocked Shocked

In the near future, they also want to try and point a radio dish in the direction of the star and see if they can detect any radio frequencies that a typical advanced civilization might use.  This could be absolutely nuts if they can somehow confirm this.

This would be like a dream coming true. Imagine what this could mean if we would finally being able to prove not being the only planet with intelligent life in space.
This could be the beginning of a new era.
unfortunately, the uneducated and ignorant masses fear what they dont know, and would rather pour money into pointless wars and the pockets of lying politicians over the space program or beneficial government programs (social security).

given the backwards trend of society i dont expect much progress to be made on the space front until aliens contact us first.

We've made huge progress in space, every decade since the 1950s, or 1930s, or 1970s, where ever you wish to put the starting point.

I'm playing with lunar maps accurate down to about one pixel per half meter....for the entire moon.  

Same thing is available for mars, but the sand moves around a bit.

The huge progress only came about because of the much bigger lies. While moon landings may truly have happened back in the '60s (looks like it was all a movie deception), the whole idea in the '50s was that we would have moon bases in the '70s, and we would be making trips back and forth at least weekly if not daily. It was a promise that hasn't been fulfilled yet. And by the looks of it, is was a complete deception, just to get more funding.

And here you go, trying to further the deception. Good little government agent.

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
From what I understood from the article and didn't really understand about it, was how where they able to locate this sphere that completely surrounds a whole star?  Wouldn't that sphere just be "hidden" by the darkness of space, since within the inside would be the star?  

Only if it were a complete sphere.  Before you build the sphere, you would first build a ring around the planet star.

Maybe we just happened to catch them in the process of building it.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
legendary
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/forget-water-on-mars-astronomers-may-have-just-found-giant-alien-megastructures-orbiting-a-star-near-a6693886.html

A large cluster of objects in space look like something you would "expect an alien civilization to build", astronomers have said.  

Jason Wright, an astronomer from Penn State University, is set to publish a report on the “bizarre” star system suggesting the objects could be a “swarm of megastructures”, according to a new report.

I was fascinated by how crazy it looked,” Wright told The Atlantic. “Aliens should always be the very last hypothesis you consider, but this looked like something you would expect an alien civilization to build.”  

Shocked Shocked Shocked

In the near future, they also want to try and point a radio dish in the direction of the star and see if they can detect any radio frequencies that a typical advanced civilization might use.  This could be absolutely nuts if they can somehow confirm this.

This would be like a dream coming true. Imagine what this could mean if we would finally being able to prove not being the only planet with intelligent life in space.
This could be the beginning of a new era.
unfortunately, the uneducated and ignorant masses fear what they dont know, and would rather pour money into pointless wars and the pockets of lying politicians over the space program or beneficial government programs (social security).

given the backwards trend of society i dont expect much progress to be made on the space front until aliens contact us first.

We've made huge progress in space, every decade since the 1950s, or 1930s, or 1970s, where ever you wish to put the starting point.

I'm playing with lunar maps accurate down to about one pixel per half meter....for the entire moon. 

Same thing is available for mars, but the sand moves around a bit.

Pages:
Jump to: