Pages:
Author

Topic: Atomic wallet. Bitcoin sent to a Dogecoin address, how was that possible? - page 2. (Read 1109 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 52

Sir!! You are a genius  Grin.

I initially figured out the mystery BTC address might come from doge's PK.

I'm impressed! Let me be the first to do the obvious: 1bfed039329a6b0bf00dc36f737400519f7e8d62066388ef93c614f97343b5eb (destination: mikeywith's profile addy).

Hey thanks for sending me my BTC back.  Kiss

Thx for this, don't understand a thing about it, lol, but I have forwarded this to the doges add site. If they would be able to help.

They can't recover the BTC sent to that addy, only you can do it, if you don't know how ask for help, and ingore any PMs from people who tell you they will help you recover your coins, any advice given must come from a trusted person on forum, the process is rather simple you can do it yourself, just follow what HCP did, if things are still unclear, ask here and members including myself will teach you how to do it.

After getting your money back, you should return the money they sent you, at least this is what I would do if I was in your place because no matter how you look it at, it's stealing!, you should inform them and if they decide that you should keep the money they sent for the inconvenience they caused you, then keep it, if they ask you to return it, please do.

Ofcourse i would send back what they gave me, but i do not have the doge pk to even try and recover the btc.
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 6509
be constructive or S.T.F.U

Sir!! You are a genius  Grin.

I initially figured out the mystery BTC address might come from doge's PK.

I'm impressed! Let me be the first to do the obvious: 1bfed039329a6b0bf00dc36f737400519f7e8d62066388ef93c614f97343b5eb (destination: mikeywith's profile addy).

Hey thanks for sending me my BTC back.  Kiss

Thx for this, don't understand a thing about it, lol, but I have forwarded this to the doges add site. If they would be able to help.

They can't recover the BTC sent to that addy, only you can do it, if you don't know how ask for help, and ingore any PMs from people who tell you they will help you recover your coins, any advice given must come from a trusted person on forum, the process is rather simple you can do it yourself, just follow what HCP did, if things are still unclear, ask here and members including myself will teach you how to do it.

After getting your money back, you should return the money they sent you, at least this is what I would do if I was in your place because no matter how you look it at, it's stealing!, you should inform them and if they decide that you should keep the money they sent for the inconvenience they caused you, then keep it, if they ask you to return it, please do.

legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 6089
bitcoindata.science
Essentially, Atomic seems to have simply converted the DOGE address from Base58Check to HEX, then stripped off the DOGE "address prefix" (0x1e == "D") and the "checksum bytes", added the BTC address prefix (0x00 == "1") and then recalculated and appended the checksum and then converted from HEX back to Base58Check to end up with a BTC address... Undecided

Lol

This is very crazy.

This is very arbitrary. This should never be done in a wallet, or any kind of software that deals with other people' money.

Atomic wallet is not capable of handling other people' funds.

Without the DOGE add private key, there is nothing they can do.
Here is a test wallet, I sent some BTC , then sent it to a Doge address, it went through just like how OP explained, there is 0 relationship between the address Atomic wallet sends btc to and the seed, I tried all different combination like using Doge's PK to magically generate a BTC address, nothing worked, the address they send to is pretty strange
I think I have worked out what they have done... and, if you can get the private key for the DOGE address, I think the BTC could be recoverable!

Doge Address which BTC was sent to:
Code:
D95aC8TEQrbCRWqFVhYHzSj17uB7s8yd74
BTC addresss Atomic (magically) sent to:
Code:
14wUesWb7SgutWeem7YjSgZQEmSpUWKPm1

If we take the DOGE address and Base58Check Decode it:
1e2b35ec3cee8bf29b2e52c29add024953c31294eeb5dc265f

and if we take the "mystery" BTC address and do the same:
002b35ec3cee8bf29b2e52c29add024953c31294ee28c75ad0

Essentially, Atomic seems to have simply converted the DOGE address from Base58Check to HEX, then stripped off the DOGE "address prefix" (0x1e == "D") and the "checksum bytes", added the BTC address prefix (0x00 == "1") and then recalculated and appended the checksum and then converted from HEX back to Base58Check to end up with a BTC address... Undecided

Basically, if you can get the HEX Doge PK, you can get to the BTC address:

(Using Mikeywith's example)

DOGE PK:
QRw8xX9VAw67f9db8hqbN4EAWrj3Cwu1jZHDgoR6hg2nKBaKc7gD

--> HEX PK (using "wallet details" tab on DOGE paperwallet generator (TIP: click "skip" Wink):
6308E894B22395F94EF2E935762ADB9A4D5DCAAB672FAEDD51908FD24C6E2902
https://i.imgur.com/fmPDR5U.png

--> BTC (compressed) addy (using bitaddress.org):
https://i.imgur.com/YmXyYUc.png

So, if OP can get the DOGE website to extract the DOGE private key, they'll be able to recover the full amount of BTC

legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6320
Crypto Swap Exchange

Holy crap, why?

What were they thinking?

There are many wallets out there, with many faults, but this just looks like someone was playing around with some code and then someone else committed it to the build.

Eliminating the fact that the address should have failed 1st basic validation check, [heck my lame ass programmer just starts with does it start with a "1" or "3" or "bc1" ? before even going past that] why would you ever change or touch the address prefix?

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4318
Here is a test wallet, I sent some BTC , then sent it to a Doge address, it went through just like how OP explained, there is 0 relationship between the address Atomic wallet sends btc to and the seed, I tried all different combination like using Doge's PK to magically generate a BTC address, nothing worked, the address they send to is pretty strange
I think I have worked out what they have done... and, if you can get the private key for the DOGE address, I think the BTC could be recoverable!

Code:
BTC addresss Atomic (magically) sent to:
Code:

If we take the DOGE address and Base58Check Decode it:
1e2b35ec3cee8bf29b2e52c29add024953c31294eeb5dc265f

and if we take the "mystery" BTC address and do the same:
002b35ec3cee8bf29b2e52c29add024953c31294ee28c75ad0

Basically, if you can get the HEX Doge PK, you can get to the BTC address:

(Using Mikeywith's example)

DOGE PK:

--> HEX PK (using "wallet details" tab on DOGE paperwallet generator (TIP: click "skip" Wink):

--> BTC (compressed) addy (using bitaddress.org):

So, if OP can get the DOGE website to extract the DOGE private key, they'll be able to recover the full amount of BTC
legendary
Activity: 2758
Merit: 6830
Slightly topic but how did you find out the owner of the address? Am I missing something here?
That's not a random DOGE address. OP had this address in his clipboard, from a different wallet.

I have found out that i have had a dogecoin address copied in my clipboard and not a btc address. So to find out if that really happened i copied the same dogecoin address and tried sending a small btc amout to test if it would happen again, and it did. So, if you send btc to dogecoin address in Atomic wallet it actualy accepts it

[...] I use that dogecoin wallet, it is a wallet on a site which i deposit all sorts of different coins, i slected it from a drop down menu which was next to the btc wallet/ address and copied it. I contacted the site of which i use dogecoin and ofcourse they told me no dogecoins were recieved.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789
And I am still waiting for the site that has the dogecoin address, they've been a big help also and very understanding.

Slightly off topic but how did you find out the owner of the address? Am I missing something here?

Did someone emailed you or something? Maybe ask them to sign a message just to be sure, some scammers can pretend to have the address and ask you to send some funds to cover the fees or something.
legendary
bitcoindata.science

That is true yes... Well they replied to me again, so I do expect them to join in this issue here soon. And I am still waiting for the site that has the dogecoin address, they've been a big help also and very understanding.

Thank you all so much again...

You have to understand that you might no be able to get the private key from that doge address.  If the website uses could storage that would be risky and costly to them to fice you that private key.

Once they insert the information to get the private key the wallet might get compromised, so it's pretty reasonable for them to refuse to give you that private key, specially for a relatively small value.
It would be nice if they can share how this would work, and what exactly their wallet did to turn a Dogecoin addy into a Bitcoin addy.

It’s pretty certain that they won’t comment on the technical side of the story until they fix the issue, because who knows if that’s the only thing that needs to be fixed or is there another hole in the system that needs to be patched. It is possible that someone could take advantage of what caused this strange situation.

So they actually admitted it was their failure in the wallet, and they returned me that 50%. The other 50% which is a little over 0.05 BTC is lost, ffs that's still 400 usd... I guess I can accept that.

First they resolutely refused to compensate the damage, then they paid you $15, and now you already have 50% of what you lost. If you had not been persistent and listened to our advice, the amount you would have received back would have been exactly 0. I believe you can get back the rest of the BTC, either through a private key from Doge, or by still being persistent - it's still about your money, and what is worth $450 today for a year or two can be worth $1000 or more.

That is true yes... Well they replied to me again, so I do expect them to join in this issue here soon. And I am still waiting for the site that has the dogecoin address, they've been a big help also and very understanding.

Thank you all so much again...
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
It would be nice if they can share how this would work, and what exactly their wallet did to turn a Dogecoin addy into a Bitcoin addy.

It’s pretty certain that they won’t comment on the technical side of the story until they fix the issue, because who knows if that’s the only thing that needs to be fixed or is there another hole in the system that needs to be patched. It is possible that someone could take advantage of what caused this strange situation.

So they actually admitted it was their failure in the wallet, and they returned me that 50%. The other 50% which is a little over 0.05 BTC is lost, ffs that's still 400 usd... I guess I can accept that.

First they resolutely refused to compensate the damage, then they paid you $15, and now you already have 50% of what you lost. If you had not been persistent and listened to our advice, the amount you would have received back would have been exactly 0. I believe you can get back the rest of the BTC, either through a private key from Doge, or by still being persistent - it's still about your money, and what is worth $450 today for a year or two can be worth $1000 or more.
Do you have your original seed?
I am wondering if you use something like the bip39 recovery tool:https://iancoleman.io/bip39/

You might be able to find the private key for address that wound up with the funds.
Just a thought, no idea if it will work. If I had more time this AM I would test myself.

-Dave

12-word BIP39

Code:
warfare thrive wing behind tired muscle outside uniform swim edge matrix wolf

Code:

Doge's PK

Code:

BTC addresss Atomic (magically) sent to

Code:

My atomic BTC addy (m/44'/0'/0'/0/0)

Code:
15m149RV3JicusAUs4Koeg5TUboPvnroY3

BTC addy PK:

Code:
L4nrgmSr8ZDjtfbhJbX8xo2cUN7hEaPwGnTLnbHNDEfKbk5aw5CH

Thx for doing the test for yourself. Smiley I have contacted Atomic support and provided them with the link to this issue and asking them to respond here and for them to try to explain.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
Atomic Wallet today, here is their reply:
"If you would have owned your DOGE keys, there would be a chance for the recovery."
@Atomic Wallet: can you respond in this topic? I'd like to see you recover mikeywith's coins.
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 6509
be constructive or S.T.F.U
I am wondering if you use something like the bip39 recovery tool:https://iancoleman.io/bip39/

You might be able to find the private key for address that wound up with the funds.
Just a thought, no idea if it will work. If I had more time this AM I would test myself.

-Dave

12-word BIP39

Code:
warfare thrive wing behind tired muscle outside uniform swim edge matrix wolf

Code:

Doge's PK

Code:

BTC addresss Atomic (magically) sent to

Code:

My atomic BTC addy (m/44'/0'/0'/0/0)

Code:
15m149RV3JicusAUs4Koeg5TUboPvnroY3

BTC addy PK:

Code:
L4nrgmSr8ZDjtfbhJbX8xo2cUN7hEaPwGnTLnbHNDEfKbk5aw5CH

I have recieved 50% of the full 0.1btc lost in this transacion from Atomic Wallet today, here is their reply:
" Thank you for your reply.

If you would have owned your DOGE keys, there would be a chance for the recovery. However, in this case, there is not.

We would like to offer you 50% compensation – 0.05 BTC. We admit, that there was a failure in the wallet that has not prevented you from making a mistake. However, we want to note that it is on the user's side to make sure you use a correct address and double-check everything before sending.

We hope this resolution is acceptable for you, please provide your BTC address."

So they actually admitted it was their failure in the wallet, and they returned me that 50%. The other 50% which is a little over 0.05 BTC is lost, ffs that's still 400 usd... I guess I can accept that. Have contacted the site on which the dogecoin wallet is, so maybe i still get the private keys to that doge wallet and recover the rest. Thank you all for your support. They do admit the failure though...

The conversion probably did something similar to what I suggested , this is why there is a chance of recovering if you have the private keys

I would accept the 0.05 btc. It was partially your fault for 2 reasons:
1 you used a shitful software
2 you were careless and sent your funds to the wrong address.  If it was a fiat transaction and you mistakenly sent your money to the wrong account it would probably be lost as well.

I agree with that 100%. Anyway I am done with this now, exchanged more then 30 emails so I am just happy it is over with. Like I said in the begining I do realize my stupidity in all of this, I am just glad that they saw theirs.
legendary
bitcoindata.science
I have recieved 50% of the full 0.1btc lost in this transacion from Atomic Wallet today, here is their reply:

If you would have owned your DOGE keys, there would be a chance for the recovery. However, in this case, there is not.

We would like to offer you 50% compensation – 0.05 BTC. We admit, that there was a failure in the wallet that has not prevented you from making a mistake. However, we want to note that it is on the user's side to make sure you use a correct address and double-check everything before sending.

We hope this resolution is acceptable for you, please provide your BTC address."

So they actually admitted it was their failure in the wallet, and they returned me that 50%. The other 50% which is a little over 0.05 BTC is lost, ffs that's still 400 usd... I guess I can accept that. Have contacted the site on which the dogecoin wallet is, so maybe i still get the private keys to that doge wallet and recover the rest. Thank you all for your support. They do admit the failure though...

The conversion probably did something similar to what I suggested , this is why there is a chance of recovering if you have the private keys

I would accept the 0.05 btc. It was partially your fault for 2 reasons:
1 you used a shitful software
2 you were careless and sent your funds to the wrong address.  If it was a fiat transaction and you mistakenly sent your money to the wrong account it would probably be lost as well.

legendary
bitcoindata.science
I don't get how you're making a connection to the OP's private keys. OP pasted a doge address. The wallet replaced it with something else that looks like either a stupid bug or a scam. You seem to be saying that the wallet failed to implement basic address validation but implemented some obscure logic to pick a BTC address from the same wallet... I find that extremely unlikely. And even if they did that then they wouldn't have a problem to tell the OP how to derive the address and recover the funds.

If the DOGE Address is in the same wallet, the conversion shouldn't have been done randomly.

Take a look at https://iancoleman.io/bip39/

If you insert a seed (like word 12x) you can see all bitcoin addresses from that seed. For each address, a private key.
But you can also change coin to DOGECOIN and see addresses and private keys for each address.

This is what the wallet shouyld have done. Converted the encoding of the dogecoin address to a bitcoin one, using that same logic from iancoleman.io. This way anyone with the private key could recover it.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org

-Dave

Oh, you mean the 12 words passphrase for my atomic wallet, is that the original seed? Sorry, not an eypert myself... If that is so, yes i do. And yeah, never used the tool.

Yes, this is what I was talking about when I said that the converted private key from the address should be in your wallet.

I don't get how you're making a connection to the OP's private keys. OP pasted a doge address. The wallet replaced it with something else that looks like either a stupid bug or a scam. You seem to be saying that the wallet failed to implement basic address validation but implemented some obscure logic to pick a BTC address from the same wallet... I find that extremely unlikely. And even if they did that then they wouldn't have a problem to tell the OP how to derive the address and recover the funds.
Pages:
Jump to: