Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon 6 Vs Antminer S7, which one you will choose? - page 13. (Read 38717 times)

Activity: 254
Merit: 1258
70db is dissapointing . when i get one i will see if i can tweak it.

i am willing to try 3000gh rather then 3600 my hope would be to get better hash per watt.

if i get it do 800 watts and 55db i would be happy with it.
Same here definitely going to see if the back side (where the pci cables plug in) silver mounts allow screws, if so push and pull with quiet fans and lowered to keep it cool and quiet.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
The Avalon4.1 I believe had an auto-tuning option like that. I saw mention on the Avalon6 wiki page ("Support automatically optimize frequency, no need to overclock manually.") which implies the same feature will exist for this machine as well.

What was the material cost you had in getting bucks to power an S5? Modifying resistors on an S1 is probably a fair bit cheaper.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Yeah, it's actually not a good concept if you like undervolting. How many people have pencil-modded their S1s and everything else? Compare that to successful undervolts on S5. It ain't easy at all.

I have spent most of my time since I recently discovered Mining undervolting as I have to because of working with out of date miners and high electricity cost. Although with the recent hike in BTC I have been turning the volts up.  Smiley

I succesfully undervolted an S5 both by obtaining PSU's that can be adjusted down to 9V and by using additional Buck Converters on the output of a 12V Server PSU. To be honest taken overall I found it easier than modifying resistor values on an S1 or S3 as all the work was external to the miner, and there is no escaping the simplicity & efficiency of a string design.

But returning to the Avalon6 I was merely commenting that it was perhaps handy that the firmware optimises the frequency as you turn the voltage down?

Rich

sorry guys, on avalon6S, my major design goal is to lower the cost and keep it stable & reliable at the same time.

look, most of your attention is price, price, price. how can i waste any more cents on user expreiences?  Undecided

ng

Only some few ones shout price price price.

Look, there are 3 pages following mentioned "price " dozens of times. So I'm right. Grin

The picture you got is a prototype. Final product will be natural steel color, not painted.

About noise, I just did a short test in my lab. It's ~70db @ 1M, full fan speed (~3800rpm), include
a noisy server PSU. Air in-take temp is ~ 30C, board temp is ~ 72C. Will significantly lower the
noise by lower the fan rpm, but the ambient temperature should be low.

In this design, I leave the fan out of the case, in order to change the fan fast. This is a very important feature for large facilities.

About price and delivery plan, I will not announce business information here. But I think there will no long wait.

Hmm 70db is pretty loud, but the fan can be changed? Is it a dual fan system or can I do a push and pull system to lower noise?

It sounds like you can but you should have a low ambient.  It looks like they put a goo amount of hashing into this machine.

So likely we will have to have someone play with one and let us know how it handles low RPM in certain ambiant temps.
I wonder how much db switching the psu out to an atx would drop alone, I am definitely going to be playing with one as soon as I can order if it stays somewhat reasonable on price.
legendary
Yeah, it's actually not a good concept if you like undervolting. How many people have pencil-modded their S1s and everything else? Compare that to successful undervolts on S5. It ain't easy at all.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
Does this means you only need to adjust the voltage up or down

Even if the system does auto-adjust frequency, it's easier said than done.  Not a ton of PSU options out there to under-volt that I've seen? Especially for the ~1000W this miner will likely require.
sorry guys, on avalon6S, my major design goal is to lower the cost and keep it stable & reliable at the same time.

look, most of your attention is price, price, price. how can i waste any more cents on user expreiences?  Undecided

ng

Only some few ones shout price price price.

Look, there are 3 pages following mentioned "price " dozens of times. So I'm right. Grin

The picture you got is a prototype. Final product will be natural steel color, not painted.

About noise, I just did a short test in my lab. It's ~70db @ 1M, full fan speed (~3800rpm), include
a noisy server PSU. Air in-take temp is ~ 30C, board temp is ~ 72C. Will significantly lower the
noise by lower the fan rpm, but the ambient temperature should be low.

In this design, I leave the fan out of the case, in order to change the fan fast. This is a very important feature for large facilities.

About price and delivery plan, I will not announce business information here. But I think there will no long wait.

Hmm 70db is pretty loud, but the fan can be changed? Is it a dual fan system or can I do a push and pull system to lower noise?
Activity: 588
If I believe the pictures I saw of an Avalon6 PCB, it looks to be an 18x2 unregulated string per board and two boards per machine, top-cooling ASICs. If that's the case, we're looking at nominal about 50GH per ASIC. I believe the software auto-adjusts clocking to optimize hashrate for the power available, but unless I'm missing something there won't be inherent undervolting like the 4.1 had which means the efficiency is set without external intervention.

Sounds like a good concept, if I am understanding what you are saying? Does this means you only need to adjust the voltage up or down and the system then tunes for the optimum Frequency / HW error rate?
Activity: 742
Cooling fan  12038, current min: 1.6A ,Max:2.8A

Here is my dislike! Wink that crap fan that bitmain uses?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

Hurry up with the price!
legendary
If I believe the pictures I saw of an Avalon6 PCB, it looks to be an 18x2 unregulated string per board and two boards per machine, top-cooling ASICs. If that's the case, we're looking at nominal about 50GH per ASIC. I believe the software auto-adjusts clocking to optimize hashrate for the power available, but unless I'm missing something there won't be inherent undervolting like the 4.1 had which means the efficiency is set without external intervention.
legendary
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8075
'The right to privacy matters'
I would like to get one do a nice  photo layout on it.  Plus do a good operating guide

If it is like the 4.1 it will under clock and be far more power efficient.

I also wonder what rasp pi it uses..  I no longer have the model b I have the newest model which is far more powerful but did not run the 4.1
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Looks like we have a confirmed order:

sorry, went to beijing to meet avalon and bitmain for 3 days and donot visit forum during this time

Hi pcfli,

what news do you have from Avalon?

Regards.

spiccioli

As a matter of fact, i have ordered 3P hashrate from avalon, they told me they will ship them to me on 31th Oct. but i think it is hard for them to keep the word, as their chip still on the way to factory until yesterday.
however, it is not easy to sell avalon miner to your guys because they use one raspberrypi to control 60 unit miner=60*3.5=210T. so i prefer to sell those avalon as cloud mining hashrate.

So very interesting he will try to do "cloud".   I'm not sure I follow the part on not being easy to sell as we all know a RPI would be 35 bucks to buy and control one or two easy that hes hosting.

Just noticed he has date they will send... if true this means avalon should be public pretty soon I would think.  But they might fill orders of big datacenters like this first.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

Well full speed seem to be for 38C intake.

Unless you run it in a sauna

I must live in a sauna in the summertime - 38C is only about 94F and we see higher temps than that routinely here about every summer, and often with high humidity.

I'm really looking forward to the MUCH drier climate in Central Washington when I get to do my planned move....

We hit 40C+ here regularly during summer, with humidex, but the machines is only affected by the actual temperature, so even though it was nearly 50c with humidex inside my apartment, the machines were still running fine although at full blast with the fans.

So there should not be many places in the north where its all that hot for a major part of the year.
legendary

i am willing to try 3000gh rather then 3600 my hope would be to get better hash per watt.

most of the noise is caused by the server PSU if you use say corsair gold series type it would be much quitter Wink no need to tweek :p

"tweak I must" said phil to the blockhunter " for tweaking be in my genes".

Got to toy with the gear.
Exactly, fan modding is honestly a passion mixing that with under clocking I love (and need) to get all my miners quiet or my wife will kill me.

my one s-7 is well controlled sound wise. 

I can run 3 s-7's with good sound control.

especially with a slight underclock freq 581 and fans at 30

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

Unless you run it in a sauna

I must live in a sauna in the summertime - 38C is only about 94F and we see higher temps than that routinely here about every summer, and often with high humidity.

I'm really looking forward to the MUCH drier climate in Central Washington when I get to do my planned move....
Avalon now have a partner in USA that will manage the RMA and the sell. This is a really good new imho. We will probably get better support and cheap shipping price.  Grin
Oh that is awesome! Who is their partner and do they have a current site with a shop?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3plynq/avalon_6_vs_antminer_s7_which_one_you_will_choose/
This doesn't say who the resaler is at all and makes it sound less confirmed.

The official re-seller no doubt will be ehash.  That is  CANAAN CREATIVE's official online store (Avalon's official store).  So that one most likely will be cheapest to buy unless they team up with someone else.

iTOPshop.net get credit for releasing specs once again.  I'm starting to be surprised companies send to them specs as they seem to be first one wanting to release specs, which is great for us but companies I'm not sure wanted them released.  I just wish we knew the price.

When ITOP released the S5+ specs, it took very little time before we saw the official announcement, then pricing. So good odds they'll come out of the wood with a price tag soon...

I would agree it looks like "soon".  That miner looks like a production miner not prototype.  As it really has finish to it, and looks pretty much done.

So I'm hoping price "soon" but guess we will see.  I like ITOP more and more each time they do the first to post thing.
Yeah I have no clue how they get their information, they must have someone who is near the area when they fabricate a lot of the miners.
Activity: 871
Merit: 505
Founder of Incakoin

most of the noise is caused by the server PSU if you use say corsair gold series type it would be much quitter Wink no need to tweek :p

hehe Smiley yes understood.

I was just noting that he tested with noisy server PSU so better noise results are expected. The home version even tho more pricey is what I would be interested in Smiley my dreams of server farm left when the pre- order era took us all for a ride Sad
legendary

Activity: 871
Merit: 505
Founder of Incakoin

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

Same here definitely going to see if the back side (where the pci cables plug in) silver mounts allow screws, if so push and pull with quiet fans and lowered to keep it cool and quiet.

Unless you run it in a sauna, you should be able to lower the fan speed considerably. Here in winter i can feed it 0~10C intake so i'm actually pretty excited about this.

I'm not to worried anymore about noise.  Which is kinda nice to not be a factor for me like it once was.

For me it's all about release date and price.  I hope the price is good.  Hopefully we find out more on that front soon.
Pages:
Jump to: