Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon 6 Vs Antminer S7, which one you will choose? - page 16. (Read 38802 times)

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
Lower efficiency than the Antminer S7 or the announced 3TH Lketc/BW unit, though close.
Fan appears to be the same unit or a very close to the same unit as on the S5/S7, so NOT quiet (makes sense though at the given power level and form factor).

This thing had better be priced lower than either the S7 or the eventual pricing on the Lketc/BW unit if Avalon expects to sell a significant number of them.

I am NOT fond of the "auto speed" stuff, that's one of my bigger complaints with the Spondoolies SP20 - can't fine tune the thing yourself, you have to tolerate THEIR assumptions on how you want the thing tuned.

38C max intake temperature - if that's for full hashrate, it's tolerable, but still kinda low. Seems like this unit could use better heat dissipation design work.

what is a "golden power supply"? Is that supposed to mean a "Gold Efficiency Rated" power supply?
Activity: 572
Merit: 506
It is less eficient than spected, "only" 0.30j/ghs, but, it can be underclocked to be more eficient?
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1169
Finally , Avalon get the Avalon6 spec in public officially .

Avalon6 Specification
Hash rate:    3.65T±10%
Power at wall   1100W(power efficiency 90%)。
Quantity of chip   80
Power connector   4x 6PIN,you need to connect all 4 connectors when running
Cooling fan   12038, current min: 1.6A ,Max:2.8A
Max speed: 3800RPM or above
Temperature   Max Temperature of intake :38℃
Controller   Raspberry PI(version 1,B,B+),。
Each Raspberry PI can control 60 units
AUC   max 6 units can be connected in series with each AUC
Protection   The machine will not start when the fan is damaged 。
Dimension   136×150×334mm
Weight   4.8kg
INGRESS PROTECTION   IP20
Power supply   1200W golden power supply recommended
Voltage:  min:11.7V   max: 12.2V

WOW! it's finally here, the long wait is finally over, would love to try this out, I think it's gonna be great, thanks for sharing, hope it really is power efficient. Grin
Activity: 68
Merit: 11
Finally , Avalon get the Avalon6 spec in public officially .

Avalon6 Specification
Hash rate:    3.65T±10%
Power at wall   1100W(power efficiency 90%)。
Quantity of chip   80
Power connector   4x 6PIN,you need to connect all 4 connectors when running
Cooling fan   12038, current min: 1.6A ,Max:2.8A
Max speed: 3800RPM
Temperature   Max Temperature of intake :38℃
Controller   Raspberry PI(version 1,B,B+),。
Each Raspberry PI can control 60 units
AUC   max 6 units can be connected in series with each AUC
Protection   The machine will not start when the fan is damaged 。
Dimension   136×150×334mm
Weight   4.8kg
INGRESS PROTECTION   IP20
Power supply   1200W 80 plus gold power supply recommended
Voltage:  min:11.7V   max: 12.2V

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Hi, i've found this links:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon6
This one talks about the testing of the Avalon 6...

http://build.canaan-creative.com:8080/~mikeqin/avalon6/
This one is from canaan-creative.com, and talk about the upgrade testing of the Avalon 6, so it seem it will arrive soon...  Shocked
Hmmm so does it require a pi2 instead of a regular Pi B or are they just adding support for the Pi2 as well?

They cost almost the same so it might work on both and they go Pi2 as you get more bang for your buck.  But I have a Pi B runnning a set of 3 Avalon 4.1's with no issues.

So I hope they go Pi 2 just as it's maybe 5 dollar difference for like 4x speed.  So makes a lot of sense.
Activity: 572
Merit: 506
Hi, i've found this links:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon6
This one talks about the testing of the Avalon 6...

http://build.canaan-creative.com:8080/~mikeqin/avalon6/
This one is from canaan-creative.com, and talk about the upgrade testing of the Avalon 6, so it seem it will arrive soon...  Shocked
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
The S7 is not selling well because Bitmain priced it high enough to make RoI on it VERY VERY IFFY even at low electric cost (5c and under / kwh).

If the spec that have been "published" so far on a new Avalon unit are correct, it needs to beat price/TH vs the S7 to have a prayer of selling significantly, at it's even LESS efficient (though close) and will have even less probability of achieving RoI than the S7 if it's price isn't less/TH.

BTC mining is Fast moving from the West to the East just because of energy pricing

There are places in "the West" that can match Chinese energy pricing - there are quite a few other factors involved in the strength of Bitcoin mining in China.

i think the s7 is more meant to be used for a short time and sold, again few week month later, so you can cut the long roi, more than the other miners

while taking advantage of its efficiency, if you can selle later, there is no need to worry about the initial price invested

I think most miners at this point are to be sold at later date.  I figure each miner has about 3 homes on modern miners.

1st sale goes to the one with high electricity and early adopter
2nd sale goes to someone with mid electricity, they normally buy used gear.
3rd sale goes to someone with "free" electricity it is obsolete for most others at this point.

I could be nuts but that is how I see miners lifes at this point I dont see it being one owner besides big data center which will be one owner equipment.

this pattern has emerged.

If I buy to mine in my house it has to be the most efficient possible.  My power costs are high.
I have two places with very low power costs.
One is 2 cents and the other is 7.8 cents.

one spot can do 1500 watts must be quiet.
second spot can do 6000 watts must be quiet.

my house can do 6000 watts and in the garage so it can be loud.

I will buy and review the avalon 6  even if it is 25% to 50% more then the s-7  as it should be quiet.

It will end up in the 2 cent spot. So it can mine for a real long time and still make money.
legendary
The S7 is not selling well because Bitmain priced it high enough to make RoI on it VERY VERY IFFY even at low electric cost (5c and under / kwh).

If the spec that have been "published" so far on a new Avalon unit are correct, it needs to beat price/TH vs the S7 to have a prayer of selling significantly, at it's even LESS efficient (though close) and will have even less probability of achieving RoI than the S7 if it's price isn't less/TH.

BTC mining is Fast moving from the West to the East just because of energy pricing

There are places in "the West" that can match Chinese energy pricing - there are quite a few other factors involved in the strength of Bitcoin mining in China.

i think the s7 is more meant to be used for a short time and sold, again few week month later, so you can cut the long roi, more than the other miners

while taking advantage of its efficiency, if you can selle later, there is no need to worry about the initial price invested

I think most miners at this point are to be sold at later date.  I figure each miner has about 3 homes on modern miners.

1st sale goes to the one with high electricity and early adopter
2nd sale goes to someone with mid electricity, they normally buy used gear.
3rd sale goes to someone with "free" electricity it is obsolete for most others at this point.

I could be nuts but that is how I see miners lifes at this point I dont see it being one owner besides big data center which will be one owner equipment.
Activity: 254
Merit: 1258
In general.

Avalon didn't sell products in a loss, we just stop production when it's not competitive enough.
Then you see the Avalon4.1's cost very high so the retail price can not go down. (~2000RMB at last I remember)

For sp20s, I did a very carefully review on it. I think their marginal cost is close to ~2000USD. Any NREs are NOT included.
It means sp-tech sell them at about 15~20% of their cost.

Bitmain did a very good job on the tradeoff about price, performance, reliability and UE. This is worth learning for all miner manufacturers.

About avalon6S, I think it's a miner designed for big mining field. We did a lot of job on mining farm management systems in the past year.

I have a plan to do a low noise DCDC solution miner (Avalon6P )for home, but it's sure will have a higher price (30% cost increase) and
lower efficiency (5-8% decrease) compare to a "string" solution. Also it's far more difficult to design & manufacture.

So the reality let me pause.  Undecided

ng
As long as the 6P isn't too far out then I am sure many of us will be excited. I for one love my Avalon 4.1 and look forward to this.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070

legendary

Like being able to get a truck and drive to a Asic manufacture fill it up and go to a data center.  For example US a semi load quite a bit of shipping, China semi to data center much cheaper.   

I think it will take having till a lot of US focus more on electricity price.   At that point our data centers will drop some in price.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1169
antminer all the way no more avalon tried in past and cost more than ever mined and didnt even brake even well recovered about 90% ish but still a loss will never use avalon again and higher power use and delivery times ill pass.

Depends on pricing.  Which Avalon are you referring to?

I know  some consider Canaan-creative different, and some still hold a grudge from when it was just Avalon.   I do not take sides as i was not part of it all.   I can say the 4.1 is a great machine.  If they do like that on the Avalon 6 and close or lower then bitmin I would definitely try one.

Different machines has different approach, I must admit the convenient and popularity of the antminers that is why many has using S7, but for me I will try both product, a miner is still a miner why debate for superiority, in mining industry there are lot of cost to settle and for me using different miner machines is alright as long as I ROI.
legendary
Activity: 938
Again It depends on your power prices. No matter what, BTC mining is Fast moving from the West to the East just because of energy pricing, so I think that Avalon could have a big marked in the east.
If just you Eletric pricing is below 0,05 $ then you can make profit of course depending on the price of the miner.
Last, most miners would say today, that its not worth it, but that's just to keep new miners away or = increasing Diff = Miners ROI point gets longer.
So miners would always say, stay out of the game, its too late.

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Must be price and wattage competitive with bitmain.
4.1 was too expensive and too late for its power consumption
legendary
antminer all the way no more avalon tried in past and cost more than ever mined and didnt even brake even well recovered about 90% ish but still a loss will never use avalon again and higher power use and delivery times ill pass.

Depends on pricing.  Which Avalon are you referring to?

I know  some consider Canaan-creative different, and some still hold a grudge from when it was just Avalon.   I do not take sides as i was not part of it all.   I can say the 4.1 is a great machine.  If they do like that on the Avalon 6 and close or lower then bitmin I would definitely try one.
legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
I have a plan to do a low noise DCDC solution miner (Avalon6P )for home, but it's sure will have a higher price (30% cost increase) and
lower efficiency (5-8% decrease) compare to a "string" solution. Also it's far more difficult to design & manufacture.

Why does the design have to shift to DCDC again in order to make a home miner? Bitmain had string miner boards as low as 250W.
legendary
In general.

Avalon didn't sell products in a loss, we just stop production when it's not competitive enough.
Then you see the Avalon4.1's cost very high so the retail price can not go down. (~2000RMB at last I remember)

For sp20s, I did a very carefully review on it. I think their marginal cost is close to ~2000USD. Any NREs are NOT included.

Bitmain did a very good job on the tradeoff about price, performance, reliability and UE. This is worth learning for all miner manufacturers.

About avalon6S, I think it's a miner designed for big mining field. We did a lot of job on mining farm management systems in the past year.

ng

I'm excited to see what you have coming.  I still have not parted from my 3 Avalon 4.1's.   I love them with Pi as controller and low sound, I had them in my bedroom.  Only big miner I have done this with.

Now they are in my mining area.  But I still love them. 
Activity: 592
Merit: 501
We will stand and fight.
In general.

ng
Pages:
Jump to: