Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon 7 - page 9. (Read 22560 times)

legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
June 08, 2016, 11:20:41 PM
A little about the buyers from their website : http://www.luyitong.com/en/about/aboutlyt.shtml

handong Luyitong Intelligent Electric PLC. (hereafter called LYT Electric), founded in 2003 and covering an area of 178,000 square meters with registered capital of RMB 88 million Yuan, is a high-tech enterprise that specializes in R&D, production and marketing of the high & low voltage electrical complete equipment

The main production of LYT Electric is 40.5KV and below high & low voltage electrical complete equipment, as well as intelligent prefabricated substations, insulated busduct, and cable bridges, etc., such as KYN-40.5, HXGN17-12、KYN28-12、XGN2-12、GGD、GCK、GCS、MNS、ZNYBW ,etc. LYT Electric is one of the earliest enterprises in the industry that studied intelligent technology and put it into production. The company has successively developed a series of intelligent complete equipment, four of which has passed the Provincial Scientific and Technological Achievement Appraisal, three listed in the Provincial Science and Technology Development Plan, and one in the National Torch Plan. The technology in of the lead position of domestic level, and products have been identified as “Shandong Provincial Brand Products”.

Looking at their products it seems many extreme things used for power companies, nothing they own has anything to sell to general customers. I think they are going to use their customers to make money, offer them a discount on their products for so much free power or cheap power and run a warehouse of miners for cheaper than anyone else can.

just what is needed for btc a 100 megawatt farm at 3 cents a kwatt.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
June 08, 2016, 11:10:24 PM
Am I the only one worried that this Shandong Luyiton company now owns Canaan Creative and is also in bed with Bitmain?

that is bad if it is the case.

it also explains the 466 million price.

just buy yourself a monopoly .

If they do they will be hard to beat.  Those are the two companies we could count on with consumer gear.  So hopefully they remain split from a selfish standpoint.

But there is still some bigger "commercial" companies out there with BW and Bitfury.  And hopefully we see some gear for hobby/home from BW at a point.  But as of right now Bitmain seems to be king with S9 release.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
June 08, 2016, 11:08:27 PM
In what? A monopoly is only worthwhile if you intend to abuse it, but if you abuse this coin it disappears.
legendary
June 08, 2016, 11:06:51 PM
Am I the only one worried that this Shandong Luyiton company now owns Canaan Creative and is also in bed with Bitmain?

that is bad if it is the case.

it also explains the 466 million price.

just buy yourself a monopoly .
legendary
Activity: 1096
Merit: 1021
June 08, 2016, 10:46:52 PM
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
June 08, 2016, 09:01:31 PM
As I mentioned in the s9 thread but certainly more on-topic here,

IMHO it could well be that since Canaan Creative chose to be late to the 16/14nm node they (major stakeholders) decided to take the money and retire to a nice private island somewhere. As long as their IP does now belong to an "Angel" company with it's eye on the miner market (and we don't know that yet), then cool.

Even cooler would be if Avalon has low-node designs in the works but never put to silicon. With the new ownership it opens the door to them maybe using Global Foundries and go 14nm. Nice safe location (upstate NY) and as far as I know, GF is open to all customers.

I like upstate ny.  I hope this works for all of us.
Well, excluding IBM/Intel there is only TSMC, Samsung, and GF doing 16/14nm nodes for the commercial market. With TSMC booked mainly with their 1st in line no matter what Tier-1 customers and aside from Samsung's foray with BW, Samsung really really preferring to keep their 14nm production for in-house (well, company) use only, I'd think that leaves GF in a rather nice position.

No earthquakes/Tsunami's, great country infra for getting supplies (Korea is still a nightmare. Just try to find a local(ish) store selling say, a common glass 3AG fuse is neigh impossible even in or near the major cities. In the US? Go to the hardware store.) More to the point, GF is using 14nm tech licensed from Samsung and has few(er) Tier-1 customers so production availability should not be a problem.
legendary
June 08, 2016, 08:44:34 PM

IMHO it could well be that since Canaan Creative chose to be late to the 16/14nm node they (major stakeholders) decided to take the money and retire to a nice private island somewhere. As long as their IP does now belong to an "Angel" company with it's eye on the miner market (and we don't know that yet), then cool.

Even cooler would be if Avalon has low-node designs in the works but never put to silicon. With the new ownership it opens the door to them maybe using Global Foundries and go 14nm. Nice safe location (upstate NY) and as far as I know, GF is open to all customers.

I like upstate ny.  I hope this works for all of us.
legendary
June 08, 2016, 07:50:22 PM

I would not bet on them moving to "upstate NY".   I think they will continue to work with the foundries in China, I don't see change of ownership moving it to that but I could be wrong.  All speculation I guess.

My biggest thing is I hope they continue to sell to small customers like me and other hobby miners.  But guess time will tell on that.
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
June 08, 2016, 06:32:51 PM

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
June 08, 2016, 06:24:39 PM
... But very big new's will be interesting to see what comes out of Avalon after this.

At this news, I wonder if Avalon will ever release another product.

I am so damn happy for the team, its great to see the good guys win for once.

You don't think they'll hoard those new gen chips & start a farm,ala KnC Huh
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
June 08, 2016, 05:39:58 PM
... But very big new's will be interesting to see what comes out of Avalon after this.

I am so damn happy for the team, its great to see the good guys win for once.
legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706
Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.
June 08, 2016, 05:21:20 PM
Something interesting now going to https://canaan.io/en/ I don't see a store but a email to order.  Did this just happen with being purchased? Or was it like this for a while I had not looked at it in a little while.    
You mean the Avalon 6 sales? Yep, it has been like that for a while.
legendary
June 08, 2016, 05:15:21 PM

I'm hoping the company that bought them allows them to continue as they have been.  Hopefully they continue to sell direct to customers, and through BlockC.   Both were way's to purchase.

Something interesting now going to https://canaan.io/en/ I don't see a store but a email to order.  Did this just happen with being purchased? Or was it like this for a while I had not looked at it in a little while.   
Activity: 578
Merit: 501
June 08, 2016, 05:09:44 PM

legendary
June 08, 2016, 04:06:46 PM
Well this sure changes things if this is 100% correct, I wonder what the purchase plans are. Continue making home miners or challenge Bitmain for warehouse market.

Very interesting  it makes me wonder if they are closer to a Avalon 7 then I thought.  With a evaluation with that it seems the ones buying must see something there they would want... so maybe new chips? All speculations I guess.

I read it wrong for a second.  But very big new's will be interesting to see what comes out of Avalon after this.
alh
legendary
Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050
June 08, 2016, 04:01:51 PM

Does the acquiring company (aka "Shandong Luyitong Intelligent Electric PLC") use another name I might be familiar with?
I am woefully ignorant of many Chinese companies, but the article suggests that I should have heard of them.

Any good hints or clues?
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002
Mine Mine Mine
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005
June 08, 2016, 11:10:45 AM
We can complain that Avalon sell their hardware at higher cost then Bitmain but what about the quality of the build ?

In my honest opinion => Avalon > Bitmain

How many small miner have been screwed because they had a faulty S7 ? (I think I red a few in the Bitmain thread) You buy 3-4-5 units, it only takes 1 units to screw everything.

To be fair ... I have 7 A6 and 8 S7 and I have no failure. I have 4 S7-F1 ... one fan = bad, they will be upgraded with an extra fan.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
Activity: 99
Merit: 10
June 08, 2016, 09:58:23 AM
Given how late they were saying they weren't working on 14/16nm, Christmas might not be a stretch.

Indeed. They had actively decided to sidestep this shitstorm of a generation and seems it was a good idea. Bitfury *appears* to have messed theirs up, Spondoolies died trying to raise money for it, KNC *appears* to have messed up it* and only Bitmain *appears* to have a successful public chip.

Well, Bruh! I don't know how true this is but some people from my side India claim to have cut a deal with bitfury regarding their container and soon they're going to have a test run. According to this it seems like BF is still in business. Please correct me if I'm wrong. And I don't know why people claiming to invest $11.2M would lie.
If that is happening then it would explain the paucity of chips in other integrators hands. The container/data farm construction division of BitFury is after all a sister company of the chip division. Bet they got the lions share of chips from the limited number of wafers BF has gotten from TSMC so far.

No doubt the smaller integrators got some to play with and test out but....

So, basically bitfury is going behind big bucks and not giving a fuck about decentralization. How ironic.

Why is anyone surprised?? Profit is profit,bitches!!  Cheesy

But promises are also promises. The thing that irks me about the Bitfury situation is (as I said on release) they love to spam PR with their expensive firm and then totally renege on the promises they made. I mean, if you don't think you're going to actually do what you said, why don't you just not say it and annoy everyone later?

One word Mr. Dogie. 'Business'.
Pages:
Jump to: