Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon 8 official specs released - page 7. (Read 30297 times)

Activity: 61
Merit: 0
April 26, 2018, 01:36:17 PM
Anyone have any issues running 20 miners on one controller. I have an issue where a miner or two will drop out of cgminer and then occasionally pop in and out but never resume hashing unless I physically reboot the miner  Not sure if this a hardware issue with the miner or a stability issue with the controller/auc. I know another user here says he can’t run the full 20 and keeps the number per controller low for stability reasons. Any seen this too and know what it is?

I have 1000 Avalon 741s running in batches of 20 with no issues. I wonder if the 8 introduced some kind of instability?

Make sure you have at least a 2.5 amp power source for your RPi, underpowering them leads to AUC crashes and other issues.

thanks, I am running the official Rasberry adapters with the Pi3s just to ensure power wasn't an issue as I read in general about Pi instability with under powered adapters. I don't know if there is any instability but just fishing for possibilities. The other user here said that he had reduced hash and instability running a full controller but it may just be a YMMV kind of deal. I am also running the latest controller and firmware.
Activity: 756
Merit: 560
April 26, 2018, 11:26:45 AM
Anyone have any issues running 20 miners on one controller. I have an issue where a miner or two will drop out of cgminer and then occasionally pop in and out but never resume hashing unless I physically reboot the miner  Not sure if this a hardware issue with the miner or a stability issue with the controller/auc. I know another user here says he can’t run the full 20 and keeps the number per controller low for stability reasons. Any seen this too and know what it is?

I have 1000 Avalon 741s running in batches of 20 with no issues. I wonder if the 8 introduced some kind of instability?

Make sure you have at least a 2.5 amp power source for your RPi, underpowering them leads to AUC crashes and other issues.
copper member
Activity: 658
Merit: 101
Math doesn't care what you believe.
April 26, 2018, 10:48:26 AM

I plan on running 15 per Pi 3 controller - (3) strings of 5 with one open USB port and a spare AUC3.  That way if I need to take one miner out of a string, I can patch the remaining miners in that string to the 4th AUC3. 
April 25, 2018, 08:11:39 PM
April 25, 2018, 08:07:54 PM
I noticed this too and made a post here and spoke to Canaan about it. I spoke to Canaan and they said reversing the (sorcerer) fan should be ok if temps stay under 40c. We plan to reverse them too as you did to see as we are run cold/hot aisle setups and curious to see if there is a temp improvement.
I'd like a better reply from Canaan other than 'should be' ok. Would be nice for them or their vendor to model & verify just what happens to the various hot spots in a PSU and make yay/nay based on that. Changing from blow to suck will drastically change the flow patterns inside the PSU...

Perfect confirmation would be Canaan acting on this and changing the flow direction on future Sorcerer's they sell.

But - that said, when I get back in-country next week think I'll give it a whirl.

I agree their answer didn’t give me the warm and fuzzies but I also don’t need the psus recycling  hot exhaust air
Activity: 140
Merit: 18
April 25, 2018, 07:28:52 PM
All you have to do is look under the status->processes tab in the web UI and scroll down till you find the cgminer process and you'll see how it was started and you'll see that if you tell it to be -1 in the UI, it will still be 0 in the processes.  Doesn't matter which one you select, it will always be 0.  Adding it in the more options will add the string to the end of the command launch string and it will override the 0 hardcoded value to whatever you specify, and it doesn't need to match what is the UI.

Just me, or does that sound kind of like a bug?  Clearly the Web UI could make that change for us...

it's been that way since the 821's. when I found the issue, I sent Canaan an email, that is when I found out they meant to *NOT* leave the undervolt stuff in the 8 series UI, and always keep it at 0.  I completely get why, there are some 821/841's that *won't* run at -2... I have 2 841's that wont for example, but -1, 0, and +1 they run perfectly.

That same email is where they told me the reason for the 100% fan, and if you look in the ccminer code, while the 741's had a fan moderation temperature of 90C, the 8's that was changed to 70C.  The high end shutdown limit is 105 I believe in both, but they really don't want them going to that limit.

copper member
April 25, 2018, 04:32:09 PM
All you have to do is look under the status->processes tab in the web UI and scroll down till you find the cgminer process and you'll see how it was started and you'll see that if you tell it to be -1 in the UI, it will still be 0 in the processes.  Doesn't matter which one you select, it will always be 0.  Adding it in the more options will add the string to the end of the command launch string and it will override the 0 hardcoded value to whatever you specify, and it doesn't need to match what is the UI.

Just me, or does that sound kind of like a bug?  Clearly the Web UI could make that change for us...
April 25, 2018, 03:33:40 PM
How did you do that?  Because if you just selected -1 in the web UI, that didn't make the change, you have to add the "--avalon8-voltage-level-offset -1" string in the more options line in the configuration the 0 - zero option is hard coded no matter if you selected the -1, -2, etc or not. Smiley... little known detail.  BTW, from 0 to -1 on mine will show an approx .150-.2 Th drop per miner in the rate, but the outlet temp will change by a couple of C too

Wow.  I didn't know that.  Rather presumed using the Avalon Web Interface and selecting the pull down menu for voltage offset would do the trick.  That is rather surprising news.

copper member
April 25, 2018, 03:03:38 PM
How did you do that?  Because if you just selected -1 in the web UI, that didn't make the change, you have to add the "--avalon8-voltage-level-offset -1" string in the more options line in the configuration the 0 - zero option is hard coded no matter if you selected the -1, -2, etc or not. Smiley... little known detail.  BTW, from 0 to -1 on mine will show an approx .150-.2 Th drop per miner in the rate, but the outlet temp will change by a couple of C too

Wow.  I didn't know that.  Rather presumed using the Avalon Web Interface and selecting the pull down menu for voltage offset would do the trick.  That is rather surprising news.
April 25, 2018, 02:58:04 PM
I guess while I'm on this topic.  The undervolt stuff wasn't supposed to be in the firmware, and not all units will undervolt to -2.  2 out of 5 of mine, will not run (or run pretty wounded at -2), but change them to -1 or 0 and they run just fine with on significant delta from the other 3

If one desire maximum hash rate and power is not an issue, should they be running at +1?

FWIW - I switched (3) strings of Avalon 8s from +1 to -1 to help cool them down just a touch.  Before and after stats:

Before:  1a - 11464.6 - single 821
             3a - 66555.7 - string of (5) 841s
             3b- 64851.9 - string of (5) 841s
                   ----------

After:    1a - 11538.1
            3a - 66540.3
            3b - 64928.6
                   ---------

So virtually identical numbers.  Both test were over 16+ hours.  I should note the "after" group spent most of those hours in the evening and early morning with cooler intake air.

copper member
April 25, 2018, 12:11:22 PM
I guess while I'm on this topic.  The undervolt stuff wasn't supposed to be in the firmware, and not all units will undervolt to -2.  2 out of 5 of mine, will not run (or run pretty wounded at -2), but change them to -1 or 0 and they run just fine with on significant delta from the other 3

If one desire maximum hash rate and power is not an issue, should they be running at +1?

FWIW - I switched (3) strings of Avalon 8s from +1 to -1 to help cool them down just a touch.  Before and after stats:

Before:  1a - 11464.6 - single 821
             3a - 66555.7 - string of (5) 841s
             3b- 64851.9 - string of (5) 841s
                   ----------

After:    1a - 11538.1
            3a - 66540.3
            3b - 64928.6
                   ---------

So virtually identical numbers.  Both test were over 16+ hours.  I should note the "after" group spent most of those hours in the evening and early morning with cooler intake air.
April 25, 2018, 08:39:00 AM
I noticed this too and made a post here and spoke to Canaan about it. I spoke to Canaan and they said reversing the (sorcerer) fan should be ok if temps stay under 40c. We plan to reverse them too as you did to see as we are run cold/hot aisle setups and curious to see if there is a temp improvement.
I'd like a better reply from Canaan other than 'should be' ok. Would be nice for them or their vendor to model & verify just what happens to the various hot spots in a PSU and make yay/nay based on that. Changing from blow to suck will drastically change the flow patterns inside the PSU...

Perfect confirmation would be Canaan acting on this and changing the flow direction on future Sorcerer's they sell.

But - that said, when I get back in-country next week think I'll give it a whirl.

Not very scientific, but from a fingers test.  The air coming out is warm - not hot, the 841 output is hotter, and there seems to be no significant temperature difference to the outside of the sorcerer.  But as noted, not a very scientific test.
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
April 25, 2018, 07:16:08 AM

Activity: 350
Merit: 158
#takeminingback
April 25, 2018, 04:16:05 AM
So far non of my machines have broken down. They all do 91-94W/TH @ -1 config. Idk what people are complaining about

There seems to be a problem with the temps, going above 30°c. Personally, mine have been ok between 30°c and up to 38°c.
Have you seen any issues, regarding the temps of your machines?

Activity: 402
Merit: 116
April 25, 2018, 03:30:13 AM
So far non of my machines have broken down. They all do 91-94W/TH @ -1 config. Idk what people are complaining about
April 24, 2018, 09:12:11 PM
So the improvement was around 1C... maybe 2, but it's pretty hard to really find the 2C, but at least all the hot air is going in the same direction as the *HOT* air Smiley...
April 24, 2018, 06:40:35 PM
All this discussion about power, temps, etc. has caused me to chase a rate hole, but the result was enlightening.

If you use a sorcerer PSU, you will notice that the fan sucks instead of blows.  This means that in order to have enough attachment length to the power supply connections, you probably are placing the PSU above the 841/821 with the 2 fans opposite (841 vs PSU), and most likely you are exhausting the heat from the PSU out it's back and right back into the 841.

I ran mine on a different supply that I have that's fan blow the opposite way and the difference was 2-3C in inlet temperature difference.

This afternoon, I'm planning on seeing if I can flip a fan around in a sorcerer and cause it to suck in the same air that the 841 is and exhaust it forwards like the 841s and see if the inlet temps don't drop by 2-3C as a result.

Curious if anyone else noticed this or resolved it?

I noticed this too and made a post here and spoke to Canaan about it. Canaan said reversing the fan "should be ok" (no confirmation) if temps stay under 40c. We plan to reverse them too as you did to see as we are run cold/hot aisle setups and curious to see if there is a temp improvement.
April 24, 2018, 04:10:52 PM

This afternoon, I'm planning on seeing if I can flip a fan around in a sorcerer and cause it to suck in the same air that the 841 is and exhaust it forwards like the 841s and see if the inlet temps don't drop by 2-3C as a result.

I have noticed this with the sorcerer, and it has become a pet peev. I've thought the same thing about going 180° with the fan, but haven't been able to make time to experiment. I've also considered, adding length to the cables.  Please be sure to post your findings.

Ok, was a pretty easy thing to rotate the fans... Except for the gray goooo... (glue), but it will release if wiggled enough.  I'll let you know results.  Gonna a be a little while till I can repeat conditions like I had this morning.

Activity: 350
Merit: 158
#takeminingback
April 24, 2018, 03:15:03 PM

I have noticed this with the sorcerer, and it has become a pet peev. I've thought the same thing about going 180° with the fan, but haven't been able to make time to experiment. I've also considered, adding length to the cables.  Please be sure to post your findings.
April 24, 2018, 12:58:41 PM
All this discussion about power, temps, etc. has caused me to chase a rate hole, but the result was enlightening.

If you use a sorcerer PSU, you will notice that the fan sucks instead of blows.  This means that in order to have enough attachment length to the power supply connections, you probably are placing the PSU above the 841/821 with the 2 fans opposite (841 vs PSU), and most likely you are exhausting the heat from the PSU out it's back and right back into the 841.

I ran mine on a different supply that I have that's fan blow the opposite way and the difference was 2-3C in inlet temperature difference.

Pages:
Jump to: