Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon 8 official specs released - page 9. (Read 30297 times)

copper member
Activity: 658
Merit: 101
Math doesn't care what you believe.
April 22, 2018, 12:27:03 PM
I think that they should test it some more and be as accurate with the specs as possible.

I think it should be possible to class it  as a A1 class or A2 class device.

Agree with that, however many have been purchased with the understanding they were class A3 devices (at least in terms of acceptable maximum cooling air temp).

A3 is really considered the minimum for modern data centers.
legendary
Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706
Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.
April 22, 2018, 12:22:37 PM
I think that they should test it some more and be as accurate with the specs as possible.

I think it should be possible to class it  as a A1 class or A2 class device.
copper member
April 22, 2018, 12:20:23 PM
As was reported (and deleted) on another thread, it appears Canaan has reduced the intake air specification from 40C to 30C (104F to 86F).

https://canaan.io/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/841-datasheet.pdf

This means the equipment is no longer spec'ed to work within ASHRAE guidelines (the industry standard).

Most new computing equipment is designed to meet the ASHRAE 2015 thermal guidelines of at LEAST class A2 (up to 35C) and most handle class A3 (up to 40C) or class A4 (up to 45C).  30C is not even class A1 (32C).  

So Canaan is now making "industrial" miners that are not designed for modern industrial data centers??!?!

The only way to be in spec now is to either be in an old inefficient data center that still provides the classic 18-27C cooling air or some similarly costly environment (unless your data center's intake air never exceeds 86F - possibly doable in northern regions).

Personally very disappointed with this, since I previously considered Avalons my premium minor (over my S9s).
copper member
April 05, 2018, 03:11:07 PM
anyone see any issue with placing the PSU on top of each unit or would it be best to space them?

I place my Antminer APW3++ power supplies on top, on their side, with the angled section aligned to the frame of the Avalons.  Looks nice, works fine.
Activity: 61
Merit: 0
April 05, 2018, 02:59:27 PM
anyone see any issue with placing the PSU on top of each unit or would it be best to space them?
Activity: 402
Merit: 116
March 25, 2018, 01:36:31 AM
around 2%. I have tried but it wasn't really that stable

Fascinating.  Guess I'll stick with my plan to use up my old Raspberry Pis and keep the chains short.  Any idea is the hash loss is caused by under performance of the Pis, or something else?  Just wondering if I should spend the relative pennies and buy faster Pis?

Honestly speaking, I don't know much about the software. But if based just on the hardware specs, I'd say it your assumption is probably not that far off.
Activity: 189
Merit: 11
March 24, 2018, 05:43:26 PM
I've made this reply here at least 2 times and for some reason the moderator thinks it's not applicable so it gets deleted... Any bets on the third time... Sad

a) you *can* set the fan speed down to  something lower than 100% (I set my 821's to 50% for example) but it will take an inlet temp of around 25-26C to see the fan spin lower than 100%
b) the new ASICs are way less temp tolerant than the old ones and as such Canaan doesn't recommend running them over 70C - which is why the fans speed was locked to 100%.

Yeah things get deleted all the time..  maybe when spring starts he'll get a girlfriend and get bored with this wack a mole routine..

anyway, glad you posted since it made me realize to move my miners to an open window since it is still cold around here and then it was easy to drop the fans down to 50% min..  I could go lower but don't want to chance anything.   The temps are really low once you get the inlet under 20C

Activity: 140
Merit: 18
March 24, 2018, 04:49:07 PM
I've made this reply here at least 2 times and for some reason the moderator thinks it's not applicable so it gets deleted... Any bets on the third time... Sad

a) you *can* set the fan speed down to  something lower than 100% (I set my 821's to 50% for example) but it will take an inlet temp of around 25-26C to see the fan spin lower than 100%
b) the new ASICs are way less temp tolerant than the old ones and as such Canaan doesn't recommend running them over 70C - which is why the fans speed was locked to 100%.
legendary
Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706
Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.
March 24, 2018, 03:30:47 PM
since Haggs is definitely going to make a way better review than me, here's my small contribution Smiley these things ain't no joke yall.

Thanks,
but don't underestimate yourself, I would love to see some other A841 reviews besides my review.  Smiley
copper member
March 24, 2018, 03:24:26 PM
around 2%. I have tried but it wasn't really that stable

Fascinating.  Guess I'll stick with my plan to use up my old Raspberry Pis and keep the chains short.  Any idea is the hash loss is caused by under performance of the Pis, or something else?  Just wondering if I should spend the relative pennies and buy faster Pis?
March 24, 2018, 12:30:20 PM
have you tried chaining 20 A841s?  How much hash did you lose? Surprise Canaan recommends 20 per controller if there is loss of hash.

around 2%. I have tried but it wasn't really that stable.

Moderator's note: This post was edited by frodocooper to correct erroneous quote formatting.
March 24, 2018, 09:40:01 AM
It is still going full blast. Although the intake and outlet temps are far below that of the Avalon 741s. I tried to set the max fans to 90% but it doesn't seem to work

I don't have any 821s but I daisy chained 15 of them per each controller and it works great! (better than the 741s which loses some hash after 10)

have you tried chaining 20 A841s?  How much hash did you lose? Surprise Canaan recommends 20 per controller if there is loss of hash.

Moderator's note: This post was edited by frodocooper to remove multiple nested quotes.
March 24, 2018, 02:46:45 AM
since Haggs is definitely going to make a way better review than me, here's my small contribution Smiley these things ain't no joke yall.
March 24, 2018, 12:02:11 AM
just received my batch of 841s today. I managed to plug in about 60 of them. All I can say is.......WOW! Canaan, you guys did not fail to amaze again!

Although pricier than the S9s, the quality is top notch and every single one out-performed the advertised specs!

Hows the temp/fan situation?  Can you drop the min rate to 50% or is it going to be full blast 100% no matter if you freeze them?

Are you running them with your 821's in daisy chain or separate controller/AUC3?

Cool you got them up already

It is still going full blast. Although the intake and outlet temps are far below that of the Avalon 741s. I tried to set the max fans to 90% but it doesn't seem to work

I don't have any 821s but I daisy chained 15 of them per each controller and it works great! (better than the 741s which loses some hash after 10)
Activity: 189
Merit: 11
March 23, 2018, 02:12:24 PM
just received my batch of 841s today. I managed to plug in about 60 of them. All I can say is.......WOW! Canaan, you guys did not fail to amaze again!

Although pricier than the S9s, the quality is top notch and every single one out-performed the advertised specs!

Hows the temp/fan situation?  Can you drop the min rate to 50% or is it going to be full blast 100% no matter if you freeze them?

Are you running them with your 821's in daisy chain or separate controller/AUC3?

Cool you got them up already
March 23, 2018, 01:46:01 PM

Activity: 265
Merit: 232
March 12, 2018, 03:14:35 PM
Anyone bypass the AUC3 yet? I've seen a few pi controllers floating around that say they bypass for Avalon 8, but appear to be older 4-pin that Parallel Miner was selling.
Activity: 140
Merit: 18
March 11, 2018, 07:33:37 PM
I wonder with the new updates if Canaan still recommends setting the minimum fan to 100%

It does say under CGMiner Configuration, Minimum Fan%(Range: 0-100, Default: 10%)

but I can't remember if the original controller image had the same 10% default listed.

because the max temp is 70 on the 821, not 90 like the 741, you will find that if you can't keep the inlet temp to 27 or less, that the fan is going to run at 100% anyway.

The compromise I made was set it to 70 instead of 100.  But unless the environment they are running in is really cold, the fan is going to run up to 100 pretty much anyway.  And I don't think I'd let them run about 75 for very long, the chips they use are very sensitive to over temp and one of the recent changes to a fix to set the over temp condition.
March 11, 2018, 01:12:23 PM
I wonder with the new updates if Canaan still recommends setting the minimum fan to 100%

It does say under CGMiner Configuration, Minimum Fan%(Range: 0-100, Default: 10%)

but I can't remember if the original controller image had the same 10% default listed.

March 06, 2018, 10:47:43 AM
Any improvements?

I did not notice anything specifically, my units are performing the same and I didn't see a change with the metrics...here is a list of changes the firmware implemented...some are behind the scene stuff

Fix the led doesn't display red when the miner too hot
Fix the INVALIDPMU and HUFAILED display when the miner is running
Update the miner too hot protection
Optimize temperature and voltage reading
Add overclocking info support
Pages:
Jump to: