Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon 8 official specs released - page 8. (Read 30297 times)

copper member
Activity: 658
Merit: 101
Math doesn't care what you believe.
April 23, 2018, 09:45:39 PM
I guess while I'm on this topic.  The undervolt stuff wasn't supposed to be in the firmware, and not all units will undervolt to -2.  2 out of 5 of mine, will not run (or run pretty wounded at -2), but change them to -1 or 0 and they run just fine with on significant delta from the other 3

If one desire maximum hash rate and power is not an issue, should they be running at +1?
Activity: 140
Merit: 18
April 23, 2018, 08:48:49 PM
Not sure what that is.

Here is all the 841 firmware and note the original had an error in that it won't show you when you are in a bad heat range and potentially damaging the ASICs, but the new one will and will shut you down Smiley...

https://github.com/Canaan-Creative/avalon8-docs/wiki/AvalonMiner-841-firmware-downloads

Pretty much everything shipped with the 8411802-1e73b80 version of the MM code, and the 8411803-14bf10 came out about a week after the 841s were released to the general public.

I updated all of mine and have had no issues... but I also haven't ran them wide open with no regard for the temperatures either.

I guess while I'm on this topic.  The undervolt stuff wasn't supposed to be in the firmware, and not all units will undervolt to -2.  2 out of 5 of mine, will not run (or run pretty wounded at -2), but change them to -1 or 0 and they run just fine with no significant delta from the other 3
Activity: 350
Merit: 158
#takeminingback
April 23, 2018, 05:19:00 PM
Is that with the latest MM firmware change? 

This is what I'm running. I haven't updated the firmware. I'm weird, I never update immediately, unless there is some sort of problem, or a huge improvement.  Plus, I like to see if "latest" released updates have any ill side effects. Kinda old school, if it's not broke, don't fix it, mentality.

Firmware Version:
git-18.063.12211-62d814c
Activity: 140
Merit: 18
April 23, 2018, 04:47:44 PM
Room temp is 80°f, and everything is stock on the settings. Like I've posted before, I try not to run them this hot. They are currently located in my garage, and I can't "air" it out until I get home from work. Soon, they will be moved to my basement for the summer. I also want to add, I have 2 M3's running with them as well, and I believe that they are the real heat source. They're little torches, compared to the 841's.

Is that with the latest MM firmware change?

Moderator's note: This post was edited by frodocooper to remove a nested quote.
#takeminingback
April 23, 2018, 04:08:48 PM
What's your room temp with them running that hot? Also fan and voltage settings? I've ran mine at 10% and -1 since I received them, but going to try changing the fan back to 100% to see if it helps at all with the one that keeps crashing. Seems like the fan keeps slowing when it shouldn't be.

Room temp is 80°f, and everything is stock on the settings. Like I've posted before, I try not to run them this hot. They are currently located in my garage, and I can't "air" it out until I get home from work. Soon, they will be moved to my basement for the summer. I also want to add, I have 2 M3's running with them as well, and I believe that they are the real heat source. They're little torches, compared to the 841's.
Activity: 265
Merit: 232
April 23, 2018, 03:26:01 PM
What's your room temp with them running that hot? Also fan and voltage settings? I've ran mine at 10% and -1 since I received them, but going to try changing the fan back to 100% to see if it helps at all with the one that keeps crashing. Seems like the fan keeps slowing when it shouldn't be.
#takeminingback
April 23, 2018, 03:05:54 PM
Here are my temps today. They are hashing away. Pretty much regular for me to see these temps.

Activity: 979
Merit: 510
April 23, 2018, 11:29:24 AM
Since it's a product they sell on their site, and they also changed their specifications, I couldn't see how it's off topic.
I am a paying customer of theirs, and Canaan as well since the Avalon 6.
I also wrote up several positive reviews as they are still working as advertised, and several business affiliates have purchased based on my recommendation.
It's a question about a product they are selling, and they are in the business of selling said products.
It will also affect all of their customers except for those in very cold locations year round so it needs to be addressed before end of Spring I would think or thousands of miners will be running well out of their new safe operating range.

I remember the 841 had 35C at one point listed, while the 821 had 40C listed, which makes sense as it is the same cooling system but less power.
I purposely chose the 821 over the 841 given this specification on their website.  At this point I would have been better off going with the S9, especially at the current price and previous pricing.

Both the 741 and 721 were rated at 40C as well https://blokforge.com/product/avalon-741/
However to drop all 8xx to 30C without notice after stating 40C, is unprecedented in the ASIC community as far as I know.
Activity: 265
Merit: 232
April 23, 2018, 09:41:10 AM
I don't get how any of you guys are managing to stay running above 30C. My ambient room temp is around 20C with windows open and it's still been snowing here. I have a couple 841's daisy chained and one just stops hashing if the intake temperature reaches 30C, although I suspect something else may be wrong because it arrived with a dent and the fan seems to stop or slow considerably at random times. Last time it stopped hashing I was seeing temps at 28/133C with fan at 90RPM/100%. I am not sure why there is such a large difference in room vs intake temperature or why the fan reports it's at 100% at that speed.

I was going to purchase more of these, but if I am having problems in cool weather, it will be even worse in the Summer. I have some 821's outside in the shop that show intake around 15-20C. I was going to move everything out there and have them exhaust directly out of the building and keep a large box fan on the intakes, but a box fan on my 841's now is not reducing intake temperatures at all. I've been trying to blow cold air in and hot air out. They constantly run at 28-30C in a 20C room. Canaan said it was an intake temperature issue, but only one unit is affected.
copper member
April 23, 2018, 01:56:01 AM
Yeah, my reply was deleted as well.  My only rationalization was that it was on the BlokForge thread instead of something specific to Avalons - thus my slightly reworked post here.
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
April 22, 2018, 10:27:01 PM
In all fairness, the deleted posts about temp range change were in the Blokforge thread so not really on-point with the topic. Which leads to my reply on it that was also deleted.

On that... 1st I have to say that so far my 841's have been happy running in up to 93F (34C) ambient leading to chip temps from 88-90C. I see similar temps on the 721's and 741's I have.

However - running at those temps seems to come at a price: power usage. After running several tests, with a solid 230V coming from my always on-line UPS's both ones from Cyberpower and Tripplite reports typical power using -2 offset as 1.51KW - all long way away from much lower power reported by others when running in lower temps.

Also hate to say it but my s9 batch-1 (no Vcore regulators) running in the same area, chip temps 99-102C only pulls 1250w...
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
April 22, 2018, 06:59:57 PM
Wow, that is sad that they deleted my post.
"They" is a mod - no one else can delete posts in this thread except someone delete their own posts.
#takeminingback
April 22, 2018, 06:56:32 PM
I don't know if it helps, but I've had my 841's running at 37°c, on warmer days in my area. They seemed ok with it, as I didn't see any relevant hardware errors, and the units were slightly warm to the touch. PSU's remained cool the whole time. I try not to run them "out of range", but had no choice.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
April 22, 2018, 03:50:20 PM
Buysolar and I Are waiting on 841 delivery.

We will do a heat test as we run 95 f in the summer

That is 35 c
legendary
Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706
Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.
April 22, 2018, 02:05:49 PM
At least it wasn't a shadow delete, as I can see it missing now.
I guess an official reseller of Canaan deemed my post, which is pointing out a possible fire hazard to clients, as off-topic and needs to be deleted.

A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by a Bitcoin Forum moderator. Posts are most frequently deleted because they are off-topic, though they can also be deleted for other reasons. In the future, please avoid posting things that need to be deleted.

I noticed on both the Canaan website and Blokforge that the heat ranges have been lowered by 10 degrees Celsius.
It use to be 40, and now it is 30.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/avalon-8-official-specs-released-2616205
I didn't get an email about this, and this much of a change would put several miners and farms out of range for this.  Usually that would result in a recall or notification as the norm has been 40C for most miners up until now.

Unless it was a self-moderated topic, your post was deleted by -ck or frodocooper.

I agree that the deleting and modifying topics here at the hardware section has lately maybe been little too aggressive than needed.
Activity: 979
Merit: 510
April 22, 2018, 02:01:35 PM
At least it wasn't a shadow delete, as I can see it missing now.
I guess an official reseller of Canaan deemed my post, which is pointing out a possible fire hazard to clients, as off-topic and needs to be deleted.
I've worked at datacenters for over a decade, and if anything widely used changed from 40C to 30C, it would be something that needs to be addressed publicly and quickly.
30C even in active cooling situations could be near impossible in the case of running on backup power; however realistically most mining farms are passively cooled and 30C is only possible 365 days a year in very select locations.
Also, this change was done on Blokforge's website as well without any email notification, so it is indeed on topic.  
I already cut all business ties over Minerwarez, and wasn't alone when I left with several other known BCT members as well as personal recommendations I had made due to shady business https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2277516.140
This squelching has left me with no option for purchasing from Canaan or recommending them.

----
A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by a Bitcoin Forum moderator. Posts are most frequently deleted because they are off-topic, though they can also be deleted for other reasons. In the future, please avoid posting things that need to be deleted.

I noticed on both the Canaan website and Blokforge that the heat ranges have been lowered by 10 degrees Celsius.
It use to be 40, and now it is 30.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/avalon-8-official-specs-released-2616205
I didn't get an email about this, and this much of a change would put several miners and farms out of range for this.  Usually that would result in a recall or notification as the norm has been 40C for most miners up until now.
copper member
April 22, 2018, 01:05:46 PM
Just wait for Steven's reply,
I think that he will answer pretty quickly and might even come and post here at the forum.

I will let you know when I know more.

Will do.
legendary
April 22, 2018, 12:52:15 PM
Just wait for Steven's reply,
I think that he will answer pretty quickly and might even come and post here at the forum.

I will let you know when I know more.
copper member
April 22, 2018, 12:44:04 PM
I sent an email to Steven, let's see if they have some lab test info or etc.  which could help to specify the A841 technical specs more accurately.

In my mind, this is more of a "recall" than just a change in specs.  My data centers, with over 150 miners in it, is outside air cooled.  In my area, I might have a few afternoons a year, in an exceptionally hot year, where the outside air is > 40C.  I will have MONTHS of afternoon air temps > 30C.  This is a huge deal.

(Full disclosure:  Most of those miners were previously bought S9s with 40C temp ceilings.  With my latest order, there will only be 16 Avalon 8s in there, but they WERE my expansion choice - now I may need to reconsider.)
legendary
April 22, 2018, 12:30:26 PM
I sent an email to Steven, let's see if they have some lab test info or etc.  which could help to specify the A841 technical specs more accurately.
Pages:
Jump to: