Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon 8 official specs released - page 11. (Read 30297 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 21
4 s9's 2 821's
February 20, 2018, 06:38:44 PM
Quick question on setting up these 821's...I've mainly used antminers which are a little "easier" to setup and run but was wanting to make sure I was right.   In a dedicated hosting setup, where static ip's are used, do I need to set up a static IP for each miner AND the raspberri pi, or just the raspberri pi only?   And if the answer would be the same if each avalon was connected singly via it's own auc3 connector vs daisychaining everything together off one.

Thanks
Activity: 140
Merit: 18
February 20, 2018, 02:28:01 PM
Sheesh, fans set for 100% all the time in the 821 firmware... Anyone played with setting it back to something reasonable like 50% or 20, like I ran the 741's and let the temp circuit moderate the fan speed as needed to keep 90 degrees on the outlet?  I guess I'll see what outlet temps I've got first, but my basement this time of year is pretty dang cold, and I'd just as soon trade off some noise if appropriate.
What's your 'minimum fan speed' setting in the Cgminer configuration?
I'm guessing it is 100.
Set it to 20 and see how the miner acts in your environment.
Note that 20 is only the minimum value and miner will control the fan speed up or down in relation with the miner temperature.

yes, by default the firmware has 100% in that min fan speed and I suspect I know why, the internal temp that they attempt to keep the outlet at is 70 and to do so, it appears to take 100% fan typically.

You can put something like:

--avalon8-fan 1-80 --avalon8-temp 90

in the 'More Options' box if you want to change the target temperature and fan speeds. Haven't played around with it too much but 80% fan speed still kept mine at a reasonable temperature so far. The difference between 80% and 100% fan was only a couple degrees after a few minutes.

Yeah, but I wonder if they are *trying to keep* the outlet temp at 70.  The 741 runs at approx 90 and thats what set value it has in the cgminer code.  So someone must want the 821's to be at 70.  I'd hate to adjust that and burn up an 821.  I suspect the current/voltage changes pretty dramatically as the temps rise on the ASICs.  And from others testing, the -1 undervolt has the opposite effect - hashrate and wattage goes UP, not the other way around...   Be curious of others findings?

Bit more info here after running these for a few days.
a) I would change the "min fan speed" in the configuration to 50, from the 100 as the firmware came
b) I would *NOT* change the max temp from the default of 70.

I went back through all the git merges on the 821 code and that max temp was specifically changed from 90 which the 741's ran at to 70 and my guess is they want to keep the chips *COOL* and not let them get hot.  The 105 number is still in there as the autoshutdown number, but that's a pretty scary temp and I would avoid at all costs letting it get much above 80 or 90 for any length of time.

Because they are trying to keep the ASICS cool, if you shut one down that 50% min fan will still force enough air over them to cool them.  The problem with aluminum is it works both ways, it will dissipate heat when used to cool, but if not cooling it will hold the heat and cook things.

By lowering the min fan to 50, if your environment will allow for an inlet temp that can keep the outlet at 70, with a lower than 100% fan, the fan moderation will kick in and you'll save some noise.

I noticed this today, my room temp was way below 30, and the outlet was 70, but the fan was at 85% which was way better than the default of 100 all the time.

Just remember, you don't want them above 70 for any length of time (or so it would appear that Canaan doesn't) but if your environment will allow you can drop down the min fan.  But leave it at something that would rapid cool the headsinks if the unit drops offline or is stopped.

ps. this is why I pretty much go to an *unplug enet* when I want them to shut down gracefully.  This keeps the rPi controller in the loop and once they run out of hash, they go to the min fan temp while they cool.  Then I can unplug the I2C cable and turn them off.
February 19, 2018, 06:21:12 PM
Sheesh, fans set for 100% all the time in the 821 firmware... Anyone played with setting it back to something reasonable like 50% or 20, like I ran the 741's and let the temp circuit moderate the fan speed as needed to keep 90 degrees on the outlet?  I guess I'll see what outlet temps I've got first, but my basement this time of year is pretty dang cold, and I'd just as soon trade off some noise if appropriate.
I'm guessing it is 100.
Note that 20 is only the minimum value and miner will control the fan speed up or down in relation with the miner temperature.

yes, by default the firmware has 100% in that min fan speed and I suspect I know why, the internal temp that they attempt to keep the outlet at is 70 and to do so, it appears to take 100% fan typically.

in the 'More Options' box if you want to change the target temperature and fan speeds. Haven't played around with it too much but 80% fan speed still kept mine at a reasonable temperature so far. The difference between 80% and 100% fan was only a couple degrees after a few minutes.

Yeah, but I wonder if they are *trying to keep* the outlet temp at 70.  The 741 runs at approx 90 and thats what set value it has in the cgminer code.  So someone must want the 821's to be at 70.  I'd hate to adjust that and burn up an 821.  I suspect the current/voltage changes pretty dramatically as the temps rise on the ASICs.  And from others testing, the -1 undervolt has the opposite effect - hashrate and wattage goes UP, not the other way around...   Be curious of others findings?
Activity: 71
Merit: 10
February 19, 2018, 06:02:27 PM
I'm guessing it is 100.

yes, by default the firmware has 100% in that min fan speed and I suspect I know why, the internal temp that they attempt to keep the outlet at is 70 and to do so, it appears to take 100% fan typically.

February 19, 2018, 04:45:37 PM
I'm guessing it is 100.

February 19, 2018, 04:44:33 PM
Sheesh, fans set for 100% all the time in the 821 firmware... Anyone played with setting it back to something reasonable like 50% or 20, like I ran the 741's and let the temp circuit moderate the fan speed as needed to keep 90 degrees on the outlet?  I guess I'll see what outlet temps I've got first, but my basement this time of year is pretty dang cold, and I'd just as soon trade off some noise if appropriate.

hmm, just looked at the cgminer code.  The normal temp on the 821's is set to 70.  And even in a cold room, the outlet temps at 100% fan are just at 70 so turning the fan min down isn't going to do anything.... curious
legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706
Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.
February 19, 2018, 04:43:58 PM
I'm guessing it is 100.
February 19, 2018, 04:37:25 PM
Sheesh, fans set for 100% all the time in the 821 firmware... Anyone played with setting it back to something reasonable like 50% or 20, like I ran the 741's and let the temp circuit moderate the fan speed as needed to keep 90 degrees on the outlet?  I guess I'll see what outlet temps I've got first, but my basement this time of year is pretty dang cold, and I'd just as soon trade off some noise if appropriate.
Activity: 658
Merit: 21
4 s9's 2 821's
February 17, 2018, 05:33:36 PM
Looks good, seems to be that 13-14 TH is the bottleneck right now (at 1200 or so).  Thanks for posting.
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
February 17, 2018, 01:37:04 AM
Got this email from Steven Mosher over at Canaan on Wednesday. I was glad I missed the initial batches of these cause the prices were down right ludicrous. What Steven mentions here (I think) is still a bit on the high side but at lease it’s not outright crazy.

Good Morning Ku’ulani,

Happy New Year,

Our office is closed for Chinese New Year, but I will be working so please feel free to email me. Staff will return around Feb 25 to start shipping your orders.

It's time again to do a forecast. We use the forecast to decide who gets product, so it's important to do one.  

You must have a current forecast. If you don't have a current forecast you won't be able to order. When customers do not complete their order in time the sales agents will turn to the forecast and select the next customer for the product.

PLEASE ENTER YOUR FORECAST HERE

For the 821  you can consider that the price will be below $2300 when we invoice you

Avalon 841:   The 841 will start Shipping in April. The performance is estimated to be 13TH and 1200 Watts. This is a Minimum Spec as we test all machines to perform at or better than the Spec. For Planning the price will be below $2500  on Pre order.

Office Visits:  Please contact  [email protected]  for office visits. The global team has moved to new offices so you will need updated directions.

(Moderator's note: This post was edited by frodocooper to replace code tags with quote tags.)
Activity: 351
Merit: 47
February 16, 2018, 10:54:37 PM
Any word on 841's yet?
Activity: 70
February 12, 2018, 09:06:15 PM
Have you talked with Steven Mosher (Head of Sales & Marketing) about these issues with Minerwarez?

Steven: [email protected]

Thank you, I do appreciate it. I have yes, he didn’t offer any kind of solution, other than ask for a refund. Which in my eyes defeats the purpose. To me this is an investors game, and to let someone play with my money for 3 months, and get zero returns. That’s 0% helpful to me. But at least I was able to get my money back. And it went to bitmain... Again....
legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706
Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.
February 12, 2018, 08:02:43 PM
Have you talked with Steven Mosher (Head of Sales & Marketing) about these issues with Minerwarez?

Steven: [email protected]
February 12, 2018, 07:28:26 PM
Seems like you are holding actions taken by Minerwarez against Caanan.
Doesn't seem entirely reasonable or fair to Caanan.

Maybe a little, and maybe you’re right. But to me, when they’ve got them listed as an “Authorized Distributor” then they should have some responsibility to keep their name clean. At the time they were the only Authorized distributor on Canaan’s website.

Oh, that and they’ve got their 11TH miners listed at $500 more than Bitmains S9 which does 2.5 more TH a second.
So they’re just opportunist’s

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
February 12, 2018, 07:23:38 PM
Seems like you are holding actions taken by Minerwarez against Caanan.
Doesn't seem entirely reasonable or fair to Caanan.

February 12, 2018, 06:42:51 PM
They never shipped, I ordered on October 2017. And they were supposed to ship December 5th. Minerwarez continued to promise the miners for several weeks after this. Then one day they decided not to ship them and backed out of their promise to ship them and then offered the 821s at zero discount and they wouldn’t ship until March. LOL!! Like bro, I’ve already received 2 shipments from bitmain since then. GFY! Asked for a refund, then called my credit card company and they said they “MinerWarez” were fraudulent. I won’t buy anything from Canaan EVER again.

Wow, thats very unexpected. And that is outright cheating.... U did get your money back right? What did canaan say about it. U did use an authorized canaan retailer right?

I was able to get my money back by calling my credit card company.
The purchase was made at MinerWarez who still touts being an authorized reseller of Canaan.

Canaan forwarded my emails around, and Steven Mosher ended up saying did you ask for a refund.

Yes I got my money back, but I still got Jipped because well as you can see the price of miners have all just went up and yet to come down. I’m still kicking myself for trying to try a Canaan unit.

Sometimes coming here is like A.A I need support and horror stories of others who’ve been ripped off to make me feel better about it.
Activity: 462
Merit: 118
February 12, 2018, 02:07:40 PM
They never shipped, I ordered on October 2017. And they were supposed to ship December 5th. Minerwarez continued to promise the miners for several weeks after this. Then one day they decided not to ship them and backed out of their promise to ship them and then offered the 821s at zero discount and they wouldn’t ship until March. LOL!! Like bro, I’ve already received 2 shipments from bitmain since then. GFY! Asked for a refund, then called my credit card company and they said they “MinerWarez” were fraudulent. I won’t buy anything from Canaan EVER again.

Wow, thats very unexpected. And that is outright cheating.... U did get your money back right? What did canaan say about it. U did use an authorized canaan retailer right?

Theres alot of new customers and the mining space is growing exponentially, so yea. Alot of us that have been mining for years will be forced out if we aren't already or haven't been able to become a big mine with large working capital. Even then, we may not make it. Sorry guys, its just the way it is. We wanted Bitcoin to become universal, that means Mining will from now on be a very quick race to the absolute bottom of profittability. That also means that Canaan and Bitmain and other ASIC manufacturers of today will also feel the pain in a few years time. Newer hardware is coming, they know this and they are trying to do everything they can right now to make their last ditch profit. Because shit, they may not even be around in 2 years time.

This looks like it will be the case. In general, mining would be unprofitable for all if it goes this way. I wrote two topics on this recently. It seems that there will always be high difficulty increases because the average buyer does not take into account difficulty increases and other risks. News and media also push them into mining.

If this difficulty increase keeps up, the winner wont be the home miners or the big miners, the winner will be the fellow who just buys bitcoin and holds it. Why? Because difficulty rise up so much that even with the cheapest electricity, u gonna make more just holding bitcoin.

So,
If bitcoin drops = miners will make huge losses. Bitcoin holders make some losses.

If bitcoin price stagnates = miners dont make money because difficulty rise alot over time and higher cost miners switch off machines while lower cost miners make like 50-60 bucks per machine LOL. Machine will likely break before they break even. Bitcoin holders make nothing.

If bitcoin price rise alot = miners make some money. Bitcoin holders make alot more money

Asic manufacturers will still make money from selling ASICS but make nothing much or lose money from mining.

(Moderator's note: This post was edited by frodocooper to remove multiple nested quotes.)
Activity: 402
Merit: 116
February 12, 2018, 06:15:15 AM
Theres alot of new customers and the mining space is growing exponentially, so yea. Alot of us that have been mining for years will be forced out if we aren't already or haven't been able to become a big mine with large working capital. Even then, we may not make it. Sorry guys, its just the way it is. We wanted Bitcoin to become universal, that means Mining will from now on be a very quick race to the absolute bottom of profittability. That also means that Canaan and Bitmain and other ASIC manufacturers of today will also feel the pain in a few years time. Newer hardware is coming, they know this and they are trying to do everything they can right now to make their last ditch profit. Because shit, they may not even be around in 2 years time.

Gpus bro plain and simple

Stop brainwashing me Phil!
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
February 11, 2018, 11:58:57 PM

Gpus bro plain and simple
Activity: 402
Merit: 116
February 11, 2018, 02:35:55 AM
Pages:
Jump to: