Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 148. (Read 438516 times)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250
June 28, 2013, 03:19:11 PM
Hi all!
Changed today standart avalon fans to TFC1212DE, and noticed some strange behavior.
To be short, when temperature is going over threshold ( --avalon-temp ) fans is starting spinning less (instead of more) until fully stops! Looks like inverse PWM here. Using latest 20130627 firmware.
Maybe there would be also useful to add an options to cgminer to enable inverse pwm control and fixed target rpm speed.

EDIT:

If i use --avalon-temp 0, then fans stops right after cgminer start, applied a "workaround"
with options --avalon-temp 60 --avalon-cutoff 55, fans keep stable at 3840 rpm now.
Looking now at sources, to make inverse pwm a little changes is needed in temp_rise(), temp_drop()
functions, and a new option like --avalon-inverse-pwm
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000
Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom
June 28, 2013, 02:28:27 PM
got me a new toy today Smiley

What was the transaction number for your payment?

i bought it from bitmit
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002
June 28, 2013, 09:15:08 AM

What was the transaction number for your payment?
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047
June 28, 2013, 07:33:42 AM
What pool are ya'll mining on?

50btc, btcguild, ozcoin and quite a few others just in case Smiley

Concurrently, you mean?

Yes however I rely on them to baseline my bitcoin hardware performance
fhh
legendary
Activity: 1206
June 28, 2013, 06:00:14 AM

bitparking.com
actually zero fees on BTC and NMC + DVC + IXC merged mining

very simple interface but it works;)
legendary
Activity: 1036
Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom
June 28, 2013, 05:36:37 AM
Activity: 817
Truth is a consensus among neurons www.synereo.com
June 28, 2013, 05:35:29 AM

Concurrently, you mean?
legendary
Activity: 1610
June 28, 2013, 05:29:06 AM

I'm one of the eligius peaks. Looking at bitminter

Has anybody had any success in getting p2pool to work with the Avalons? As far as I understand you can get it to work but it's underperforming?

+1 bitminter

not sure why it isn't more popular?

it has lowest fees i've found
you keep your namecoins
and the dashboard is great
gimmicky, but i love the noises when a block is solved Smiley
+1 for bitminter also!
Activity: 172
Merit: 100
June 28, 2013, 05:25:17 AM

Has anybody had any success in getting p2pool to work with the Avalons? As far as I understand you can get it to work but it's underperforming?

+1 bitminter

not sure why it isn't more popular?

it has lowest fees i've found
you keep your namecoins
and the dashboard is great
gimmicky, but i love the noises when a block is solved Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3079
June 28, 2013, 04:25:06 AM

All ASIC's should work better after this p2pool change takes place: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2562076

edit: this may also include the BFL FPGAs too, if I understand the change correctly
legendary
Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003
nec sine labore
June 28, 2013, 04:22:17 AM

As far as I know mining on p2pool with an Avalon is not only underperforming but leads to a non working p2pool and/or Avalon after a few minutes of hashing, it is believed that part of the problem could be the limited memory available on Avalons.

I made several tries when I received my batch one units and all of them failed.

I'm still mining on p2pool with a few CM1s, so I know how to set up p2pool.

spiccioli
legendary
Activity: 1112
June 28, 2013, 03:54:07 AM

legendary
Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003
nec sine labore
June 28, 2013, 03:43:40 AM

HHTT Smiley

spiccioli
legendary
Activity: 1512
@theshmadz
June 28, 2013, 12:00:55 AM
Its just the stock PSU on the batch 2 units and some of the batch 1s (though most batch 1s use 650 I believe).

Worth mentioning I blew up a 750 Watt stock PSU today running at 362 Mhz in a 3 module unit. I wouldn't recommend running 4 modules with an 860 watt based on this.

what brand psu?
what does it say for 12V rail? how many amps ?

---------------------
All batch 2 PSU are NOT the same, mine came with this ... so I'm curious, what exactly was the make and model of your PSU? Was it single rail? how many amps rated?
legendary
@theshmadz
June 27, 2013, 11:18:43 PM
Anyone still getting constant restarts? Mine is batch 2, shipped June 24... I turned up the minimum difficulty to 64 (btcguild) but it still restarts every hour or so, sometimes only lasts 20 minutes between restarts...

It has not yet frozen or required hard boot, Firmware I think was 0519?? I can't remember exactly. it was set to 300 by default, I tried 282, no change. I haven't flashed it yet, I'm leery of flashing firmware to a device that's restarting randomly before I open it up and check connections and such...

Now it's apart and I'm connecting a 1200W silverstone (single 100A 12v rail) to take that out of the equation, but when I opened it up, it had a 850W Enermax with a single 70A rail, it's chinese (model ENM850EWT-S RG)  ... That's about the point I decided to ask for help, because in ten years of building computers I have never once had an Enermax PSU be the problem.  Huh

Connectors look solid, nothing loose inside, I'm going to put it back together and see what happens. Any advice would be greatly appreciated (first time ASIC here)

Don't use the WiFi -- use ethernet only. problem fixed

First thing I did, when I was setting the static IP, was disable the wifi... I only turned it off in the web interface, do I need to unplug it or something?

*EDIT* I just noticed, there is an additional pci-e connector on the power distribution board, it was not connected, (the original PSU had only 2 PCI connectors) -- I'm assuming that this is for 4 module operation, but would it hurt to connect this as well? might this help with overclocking the modules?
Activity: 292
Merit: 250
June 27, 2013, 11:10:30 PM
Anyone still getting constant restarts? Mine is batch 2, shipped June 24... I turned up the minimum difficulty to 64 (btcguild) but it still restarts every hour or so, sometimes only lasts 20 minutes between restarts...

It has not yet frozen or required hard boot, Firmware I think was 0519?? I can't remember exactly. it was set to 300 by default, I tried 282, no change. I haven't flashed it yet, I'm leery of flashing firmware to a device that's restarting randomly before I open it up and check connections and such...

Now it's apart and I'm connecting a 1200W silverstone (single 100A 12v rail) to take that out of the equation, but when I opened it up, it had a 850W Enermax with a single 70A rail, it's chinese (model ENM850EWT-S RG)  ... That's about the point I decided to ask for help, because in ten years of building computers I have never once had an Enermax PSU be the problem.  Huh

Connectors look solid, nothing loose inside, I'm going to put it back together and see what happens. Any advice would be greatly appreciated (first time ASIC here)

Don't use the WiFi -- use ethernet only. problem fixed
legendary
@theshmadz
June 27, 2013, 11:08:48 PM

Now it's apart and I'm connecting a 1200W silverstone (single 100A 12v rail) to take that out of the equation, but when I opened it up, it had a 850W Enermax with a single 70A rail, it's chinese (model ENM850EWT-S RG)  ... That's about the point I decided to ask for help, because in ten years of building computers I have never once had an Enermax PSU be the problem.  Huh

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047
June 27, 2013, 10:23:31 PM

Activity: 817
Truth is a consensus among neurons www.synereo.com
June 27, 2013, 09:44:08 PM
legendary
Activity: 966
June 27, 2013, 08:35:14 PM
trying to set solo mining up just now, but having some issue, avalon just won't connect. but when i plug an erupter in and open bfgminer with the right config it works?

I also find solomining directly against bitcoind using getwork to be broken in recent releases.  It worked with 0519.
Eh? Did it ever work? bitcoind can't provide 70-80GH of getworks and cgminer can't do GBT solo mining to bitcoind.

It definitely had some GetFailures, and some work leaked to backup pools, but it did find blocks.  Not anymore though.

I guess I should look into that eloipool setup jgarz wrote about.
Jump to: