Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 149. (Read 438516 times)

-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
June 27, 2013, 08:25:41 PM
trying to set solo mining up just now, but having some issue, avalon just won't connect. but when i plug an erupter in and open bfgminer with the right config it works?

I also find solomining directly against bitcoind using getwork to be broken in recent releases.  It worked with 0519.
Eh? Did it ever work? bitcoind can't provide 70-80GH of getworks and cgminer can't do GBT solo mining to bitcoind.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
June 27, 2013, 08:23:29 PM
trying to set solo mining up just now, but having some issue, avalon just won't connect. but when i plug an erupter in and open bfgminer with the right config it works?

I also find solomining directly against bitcoind using getwork to be broken in recent releases.  It worked with 0519.
Activity: 473
Merit: 250
Sodium hypochlorite, acetone, ethanol
June 27, 2013, 08:00:36 PM
All three of my fans don't work on my avalon and its due to something with the board they are plugged in.  I know this because I tried another fan and it still didn't work.  Is there a way to connect the fans to the power supply so they run all the time or is there a setting in which might be turned off.

there are those things http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Omega-3-Pin-4-Pin-Adapter/dp/B000BSJGL0
Activity: 342
June 27, 2013, 07:14:11 PM
All three of my fans don't work on my avalon and its due to something with the board they are plugged in.  I know this because I tried another fan and it still didn't work.  Is there a way to connect the fans to the power supply so they run all the time or is there a setting in which might be turned off.
legendary
Activity: 1036
Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom
June 27, 2013, 06:59:59 PM
Activity: 110
Merit: 11
June 27, 2013, 06:54:43 PM
Its just the stock PSU on the batch 2 units and some of the batch 1s (though most batch 1s use 650 I believe).

Worth mentioning I blew up a 750 Watt stock PSU today running at 362 Mhz in a 3 module unit. I wouldn't recommend running 4 modules with an 860 watt based on this.

what brand psu?
what does it say for 12V rail? how many amps ?
June 27, 2013, 06:52:36 PM
Thanks I will give this a try!

I upgraded lots of my units without a problem. Just had two issues. One 750 Power supply blew out and on another unit I bricked it on a firmware upgrade. Researching now how to fix it unless anyone here knows (I don't think it was a memory issue as my other 17 units are all basically the same).

See if this helps

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.sysupgrade#luci.web.upgrade.process

what you can do for now is plug it into your laptop computer and run cgminer 3.3.1 it should hot plug if you have a Ubuntu destro.
Do not forget to remove the jumper in order to stop power going to the usb port.

legendary
Activity: 1112
June 27, 2013, 06:47:15 PM
Careful upgrading to the latest firmware. I just bricked one of my units. It basically just got stuck at "OpenWrt - Flashing" and never recovered.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1657930
legendary
Activity: 1610
June 27, 2013, 06:35:13 PM
Worth mentioning I blew up a 750 Watt stock PSU today running at 362 Mhz in a 3 module unit. I wouldn't recommend running 4 modules with an 860 watt based on this.

what brand psu?
what does it say for 12V rail? how many amps ?
Activity: 956
Merit: 1001
June 27, 2013, 06:33:23 PM

what brand psu?
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047
June 27, 2013, 06:22:29 PM
yes after a little fiddle i see what you mean.... once again i flashed the 19b firmware with max fans on a btach 1..... straight off the blue fan starts to struggle, so i unscrewed the back screws then lifted up the the top a little and this seems to get the blue fan spinning again at a nice speed........ placing the bots upside down on the sides keeps te gap open at a a bolts height around.....

will test it more tomorrow when i get PSU upgrades.... no point in taking it to bits tonight

that also works rather well.

I did the same thing and adjusted it to the proper gap and it cooled down the unit a few degrees however it is not a permanent solution.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047
June 27, 2013, 05:54:14 PM
I upgraded lots of my units without a problem. Just had two issues. One 750 Power supply blew out and on another unit I bricked it on a firmware upgrade. Researching now how to fix it unless anyone here knows (I don't think it was a memory issue as my other 17 units are all basically the same).

See if this helps

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.sysupgrade#luci.web.upgrade.process

what you can do for now is plug it into your laptop computer and run cgminer 3.3.1 it should hot plug if you have a Ubuntu destro.
Do not forget to remove the jumper in order to stop power going to the usb port.
legendary
June 27, 2013, 05:52:09 PM

Yes same but it is always good idea to make sure there is free memory. I am not sure if you will be able to fix it without FLASH programer+Socket (unless boot loader is alive and there is recovery tftp procedure search openwrt/tplink forums). Try to mine with PC or make sure that there is no power in the usb cable from your broken unit and plug it in the hub of the other units. cgminer should be fine with two avalons connected to single WR703
June 27, 2013, 05:45:29 PM
Activity: 446
June 27, 2013, 05:41:17 PM
Careful upgrading to the latest firmware. I just bricked one of my units. It basically just got stuck at "OpenWrt - Flashing" and never recovered.

yantis,

Is it possible to recover from that somehow?
legendary
June 27, 2013, 05:40:55 PM

Also no shell access anymore?

Low mem issue? Did you check your free memory before upgrade. If wifi modules were loaded shit can happen

Remove wifi modules, disable cgminer from startup+monitoring script, reboot the unit before next upgrade make sure there is enough memory and then upgrade, enable what you need and go

legendary
Activity: 892
Merit: 1002
1 BTC =1 BTC
June 27, 2013, 05:38:04 PM

Also no shell access anymore?
June 27, 2013, 05:34:18 PM
legendary
June 27, 2013, 05:23:08 PM
yes after a little fiddle i see what you mean.... once again i flashed the 19b firmware with max fans on a btach 1..... straight off the blue fan starts to struggle, so i unscrewed the back screws then lifted up the the top a little and this seems to get the blue fan spinning again at a nice speed........ placing the bots upside down on the sides keeps te gap open at a a bolts height around.....

will test it more tomorrow when i get PSU upgrades.... no point in taking it to bits tonight

Put a lighter/smoke near blue fan and guess what you will find out that air gets out not in that is why the fan is struggling. I went crazy about it i thought i messed the wires or good knows what until i found out
In short at max PWM air gets out from blue fan hole instead in = useless!

Unplug it, move temp sensor outside and seal it

legendary
Activity: 1036
Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom
June 27, 2013, 05:18:24 PM

Jump to: