Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 219. (Read 438335 times)

Activity: 966
Merit: 311
February 02, 2013, 12:02:25 AM
If BFL isn't going to provide a mining controller, then most users will end up using a real computer, not a "Raspberry Pi." You should be more realistic.

Perhaps you should read the BFL forums more.  A lot of them are planning on using a Raspberry Pi - and why not, they only cost USD 25-35.

These toy devices are a PITA in my experience. I wish them good luck if they do not have experience with these products. Hopefully they are easier to use than a Beagleboard or similar.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
February 02, 2013, 12:02:07 AM

And it is starting to 'warm up', it's going to need 3 fans in there.
jgarzik
1. What is your ambient room temp.
2. Temp on heat-sink (shielded from air flow)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
February 01, 2013, 11:59:31 PM
If BFL isn't going to provide a mining controller, then most users will end up using a real computer, not a "Raspberry Pi." You should be more realistic.

Perhaps you should read the BFL forums more.  A lot of them are planning on using a Raspberry Pi - and why not, they only cost USD 25-35.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
February 01, 2013, 11:58:34 PM
Since this is supposed to be a 'users' thread.
Could one of the 'users' please ask Avalon for the 'Open Source' source code for the version in their Avalon.
They are required by the GPL3 license to give it to you (or supply you information where you can get it from) if you ask for it.

Still no sign of it anywhere (not sure why they have been hiding it for well over a week)

I'll also point out that if you want to plug your Avalon ASIC into a PC, you can't at the moment without someone who has the source code making a binary for you ...
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
February 01, 2013, 11:57:57 PM
Paging Jgarzik.  Party of one.  Jgarzik, party of 1!  Your seat at the ASIC table is ready.  JGarzik, party of 1!

ITYM party of 2 Smiley  Bitcoin Foundation has theirs too.

With so many in transit, it won't be along though, I'm guessing.

And in the meantime, folks who have purchased Avalons can ask questions here.

To be fair, if I read correctly, that second unit was hand-delivered. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

This post is in no means a diss toward Avalon. Just posting a fact, again unless I'm in error.

With this great news, I'm happy to state that I 97% believe BFL, too, is not a scam. (97% sure Tom at bASIC drinks)

~Bruno K~
Activity: 592
Merit: 501
We will stand and fight.
February 01, 2013, 11:56:35 PM

So please do not use an " announced " chip power consumption number to compare with a full system power consumption number, it's meaning less.

It would be nice if all vendors published the full power consumption figures for their stand alone units.

Will people in countries with 240 AC supply have a slight advantage in terms of power consumption?

Yes. But only after others have a working device.

19.5w -> 80w
February 01, 2013, 11:54:35 PM
Did I tell you to shut up?

BFL can plug into a OpenWRT device LIKE one in AVALON. Even an Android phone would work.

Your question is does Raspberry Pi gonna have enough bandwidth as a host? Fck yes, it also shows you know crap about this.

Avalon engineered the OpenWRT solution to work effectively.

I don't know what they had to do to make that happen, but I know that you can get away with using a low computer power single purpose device if well engineered to the application.

Everyone in this thread seems to be suggesting the end consumer should slap some 5W toy device called a "Raspberry Pi" into their BFL miner. My experience tells me this is not a real solution.

What operating system and mining software should they install on it? What optimizations should they perform on the OS build to ensure the bitcoin miner is not interrupted by other processes?

Activity: 160
February 01, 2013, 11:54:21 PM
Any system needs to pay these extra power, including BFL.
I'm tempted to agree with you. However, I do still stand by the fact that the total system wattage should be stated on the sales site, not the wattage of the chips. It's as simple as it being misleading.
February 01, 2013, 11:53:51 PM

So please do not use an " announced " chip power consumption number to compare with a full system power consumption number, it's meaning less.

It would be nice if all vendors published the full power consumption figures for their stand alone units.

Will people in countries with 240 AC supply have a slight advantage in terms of power consumption?
Activity: 242
Merit: 251
February 01, 2013, 11:52:21 PM
Oh hey, and here I was thinking this was an Avalon ASIC user's thread... But Nemesis here seems to not get the subtleties of the thread title between namecalling and cursing.
Activity: 592
Merit: 501
We will stand and fight.
February 01, 2013, 11:48:31 PM
thanks for clearing that up ngzhang.

Makes sense as it's a stand alone unit.  When quoting BFL's numbers, no one includes the PC it's hooked up to either.

No, I think it's nothing to do with the host PC.

To power the chips, we must convert 220vAC to 1.2v DC. And we must shift all heat out. This process cause power loses.

Any system needs to pay these extra power, including BFL.

Activity: 462
Merit: 250
February 01, 2013, 11:48:23 PM
Will a "Raspberry Pi" (whatever that is) going to have the bandwidth to handle difficulty 1 mining from a 60GH/s device. I doubt it. So the power consuption for a "Raspberry Pi" is pretty irrelevant as well.

Idiot, do you know the spec of the host board of Avalon?

You should shut up now, you might learn a thing or two....

What's the point of talking about something that doesn't come with the device?

I know BFL has a thing with physically attaching unrelated consumer hardware to its mining equipment, but design does not transfer by Osmosis. If I glue an IPad to my Bitcoin miner it doesn't mean my Bitcoin miner becomes a well designed and intuitive device.

Did I tell you to shut up?

BFL can plug into a OpenWRT device LIKE one in AVALON. Even an Android phone would work.

Your question is does Raspberry Pi gonna have enough bandwidth as a host? Fck yes, it also shows you know crap about this.
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007
February 01, 2013, 11:48:05 PM
Just reminding everybody...you shouldn't compare the power consumption of a product that actually exists vs one that doesn't.

Avalon gets you more than 1 GH/s per 10 watts of power @ 120v.  Good luck beating that with what currently exists.
Activity: 160
February 01, 2013, 11:47:20 PM
You should probably put the 620 watt figure on your website so that people are clear about the amount of power the whole unit consumes.
I completely agree, the website currently indicates the total system wattage is 450w.
February 01, 2013, 11:45:08 PM
Will a "Raspberry Pi" (whatever that is) going to have the bandwidth to handle difficulty 1 mining from a 60GH/s device. I doubt it. So the power consuption for a "Raspberry Pi" is pretty irrelevant as well.

What's the point of talking about something that doesn't come with the device?

I know BFL has a thing with physically attaching unrelated consumer hardware to its mining equipment, but design does not transfer by Osmosis. If I glue an IPad to my Bitcoin miner it doesn't mean my Bitcoin miner becomes a well designed and intuitive device.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
February 01, 2013, 11:41:50 PM

February 01, 2013, 11:40:00 PM
February 01, 2013, 11:37:27 PM
I'd like to point out that the power usage for this unit is economically irrelevant, and not really necessary for discussion.

The statistic that matters most is time -- Avalon released first, so they win. That's really all there is to it.
February 01, 2013, 11:36:48 PM
You should probably put the 620 watt figure on your website so that people are clear about the amount of power the whole unit consumes.
Activity: 242
Merit: 251
February 01, 2013, 11:34:56 PM
Chip's power consumption is <6.6W/Ghs

ATX power loses(82%), DC/DC power loses(87%), Fan(5~20w), etc…

So…

I see. Makes sense then. Thanks for the clear-up.
Jump to: