Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 215. (Read 438335 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
February 03, 2013, 09:45:41 PM
And right now, the miner is in a strange state where the controller (running Linux) and cgminer are alive, but fans are not running, and no work is occurring:

When they finally release sources, this should be pretty easy to fix.
legendary
Activity: 4298
Merit: 3505
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
February 03, 2013, 09:12:34 PM
You probably know that your UPS can supply only 330W of load on its "battery backup" four outputs (the upper four ones). So maybe you connected Avalon on one of the four lower, "surge only protection" outputs.

He did originally, but not now:

Quote from: jgarzik link=http://garzikrants.blogspot.com/2013/01/avalon-asic-miner-review.html
After 30 minutes or so of mining, the lights in my room flickered, UPS's beeped and complained.  Because of some stupidity (plugged into 'surge-only' side of UPS), the miner restarted as well.  After some reconfiguration, this problem was solved.

since a an APC BackUPS ES-550 can only supply 330 watts (I have 2 and can can confirm that spec, its also posted online), plugging a 620 watt Avalon into the "surge only" outlet is correct - ie, use the unit only for surge suppression. if its plugged into the "battery backup" outlets the unit will likely just shut down when presented with that kind of load.

Aseras is right, get something more substantial. at the kind of coin that thing is cranking out right now its almost certainly worth it. needs 1100 VAC (650 watts) at least, so 1400 VAC (820 watt) unit is reasonable.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
February 03, 2013, 08:48:32 PM
Id suggest either ditching the ups, getting a proper one that's 1400-2000VA or getting a line-r to filter the power.
Activity: 448
Merit: 252
February 03, 2013, 08:42:22 PM
You probably know that your UPS can supply only 330W of load on its "battery backup" four outputs (the upper four ones). So maybe you connected Avalon on one of the four lower, "surge only protection" outputs.

He did originally, but not now:

Quote from: jgarzik link=http://garzikrants.blogspot.com/2013/01/avalon-asic-miner-review.html
After 30 minutes or so of mining, the lights in my room flickered, UPS's beeped and complained.  Because of some stupidity (plugged into 'surge-only' side of UPS), the miner restarted as well.  After some reconfiguration, this problem was solved.
Activity: 206
Merit: 100
February 03, 2013, 02:34:45 PM
Still having some amount of reliability problems.  Moving the miner in the office helped a great deal.  However, still seeing machine restarts for unknown reasons (note: must ping support, inquire about reboot logging).
[...]
Hi Jeff, I have noticed on you blog that "The miner is currently running on an already loaded residential house power circuit, while sharing a Back UPS ES 550 with another desktop machine. "
You probably know that your UPS can supply only 330W of load on its "battery backup" four outputs (the upper four ones). So maybe you connected Avalon on one of the four lower, "surge only protection" outputs. These outputs do NOT protect against transient-faults/brown-outs/sags events, so if you experience these in your home, then although unlikely, there is a slight chance that your Avalon unit becomes confused.
I'm also curious about the USB hub between controller and ASIC modules, what's its quality/reliability and how it's powered.
Good luck!
February 03, 2013, 01:50:44 PM
I can do thermal imaging of my units when they arrive. I'm in the first batch expecting them soon.
where do you live ? (just curious about expecting time...)

SE USA, Florida.
legendary
Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049
February 03, 2013, 01:10:12 PM
I can do thermal imaging of my units when they arrive. I'm in the first batch expecting them soon.
where do you live ? (just curious about expecting time...)
Activity: 585
Merit: 501
February 03, 2013, 12:37:10 PM
DVB allready started to build up the team for GPL AVALON Watercooling elements production. I see heat as a major problem for ASIC devices in general, this heat probably causes the errors, more noise and higher power consumption, aswell the need for the restart. We will investigate, with a thermo camera, as soon the AVALON trade-in harware arrives here in Switzerland.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1493823(

DVB is a DEVCOIN (DEVELOPERS COIN) based and we guys use for development devcoins in between us.

Jeff or BitSyncom: can you make heat pictures from your AVALON? It will show us the heat distribution among the device.

BitSyncom: i guess your shop system will be fixed soon, and we gonna be able to make the trade-in order today Smiley

Thanks

Icoin

Awesome, thank you!
Activity: 568
February 03, 2013, 12:36:40 PM
There is an onboard DC/DC module that converts the 12V to 1.2V or whatever core voltage the chips are running at, along with whatever they're using for IO.

Yes, but what I meant was that it does not effect the "expected at the wall = 72W" number. Like the usage of the fan, the AC/DC power adapter loss, it is included already in the "at the wall numer".
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047
February 03, 2013, 12:33:22 PM
DVB allready started to build up the team for GPL AVALON Watercooling elements production. I see heat as a major problem for ASIC devices in general, this heat probably causes the errors, more noise and higher power consumption, aswell the need for the restart. We will investigate, with a thermo camera, as soon the AVALON trade-in harware arrives here in Switzerland.

DVB is a DEVCOIN (DEVELOPERS COIN) based and we guys use for development devcoins in between us.

Jeff or BitSyncom: can you make heat pictures from your AVALON? It will show us the heat distribution among the device.

BitSyncom: i guess your shop system will be fixed soon, and we gonna be able to make the trade-in order today Smiley

Thanks

Icoin

That would be great.
February 03, 2013, 12:29:05 PM

Thanks

Icoin

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
February 03, 2013, 12:23:45 PM
Chip's power consumption is <6.6W/Ghs

ATX power loses(82%), DC/DC power loses(87%), Fan(5~20w), etc…

So…

650W * 0.82 * 0.87 - 20W = 443W, About right.

so an equivalent bfl number would be something like:

60w / .87 / .82 + 2W (fan) + 5W (host) = 91 W    (host can be discounted for many since it can run several units)

or "bfl's worst case" 60W * 1.2 = 72W ===> 72w / .87 / .82 + 2W (fan) + 5W (host) = ~108W

BFL's single uses 72W at the wall, there is no ATX psu or DC/DC or extra for fans etc, just the host usage to be added. All speculating of course coz it ain't alive yet, but it is definitely no 620W, or 108W.

@jgarzik, have you ran it without the ups to see if that isn't messing up? Checked/reseated internal connections, it has been on a long and bumpy ride?

There is an onboard DC/DC module that converts the 12V to 1.2V or whatever core voltage the chips are running at, along with whatever they're using for IO.
Quote from: BFL_Josh
We have been quoting our power as power at the wall, not the chip power. If we want to talk chip power, it's .8w GH, so using the Avalon system of measure, 48w per Single, or 24w for a Little Single.

Even if we have worst case scenario, it's 1.2w per GH and that gives you 72w via the Avalon measuring system and probably somewhere around 80w - 85w at the wall. We are not expecting 1.2w GH/s, that is just the upper limit of the power draw per chip under the worst possible conditions.

Earlier Josh had posted that they were aiming for 0.8J/GH and that the possible worst case was 1.2J/GH. I'm a little confused by this too as BFL has always said that 60W would be at the wall with the included power adapter, but if 0.8J/GH is just the chips you will have to factor in both the onboard convertor losses, other draws (microcontroller, fan, etc) and the brick PSU to get the final power draw.

Hopefully we'll know the answer in a month's time.
Activity: 568
February 03, 2013, 12:07:56 PM
Chip's power consumption is <6.6W/Ghs

ATX power loses(82%), DC/DC power loses(87%), Fan(5~20w), etc…

So…

650W * 0.82 * 0.87 - 20W = 443W, About right.

so an equivalent bfl number would be something like:

60w / .87 / .82 + 2W (fan) + 5W (host) = 91 W    (host can be discounted for many since it can run several units)

or "bfl's worst case" 60W * 1.2 = 72W ===> 72w / .87 / .82 + 2W (fan) + 5W (host) = ~108W

BFL's single uses 72W at the wall, there is no ATX psu or DC/DC or extra for fans etc, just the host usage to be added. All speculating of course coz it ain't alive yet, but it is definitely no 620W, or 108W.

@jgarzik, have you ran it without the ups to see if that isn't messing up? Checked/reseated internal connections, it has been on a long and bumpy ride?
Activity: 585
Merit: 501
February 03, 2013, 07:22:28 AM

Thanks

Icoin
Activity: 817
Merit: 1000
Truth is a consensus among neurons www.synereo.com
February 03, 2013, 06:25:03 AM
Still having some amount of reliability problems.  Moving the miner in the office helped a great deal.  However, still seeing machine restarts for unknown reasons (note: must ping support, inquire about reboot logging).

And right now, the miner is in a strange state where the controller (running Linux) and cgminer are alive, but fans are not running, and no work is occurring:

And the pool agrees that no shares are incoming.

How often does it restart?
How much trouble is it to start mining again once it does?

Activity: 336
Merit: 251
Avalon ASIC Team
February 03, 2013, 04:45:01 AM
power consumption on site fixed to reflect end-user situations.

Chip power efficienty: 6.6W/GHs @ 1.15 V
Module power consumption: 149W @ 20GHs
machine power consumption: 595W @ 220V-AC | 620W @ 120V-AC
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091
February 03, 2013, 03:16:30 AM
is it dead Huh

No, not at all.  A restart fixes everything.  This is just describing the behavior before the restart.

legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
February 03, 2013, 03:13:07 AM
No speculation.
MHs says it is hashing - reread my last reply.

And as noted, that number is not changing.  The number is constantly changing, normally.

Other stats bear out the conclusion.

Well the fact that the API is replying (and counting getworks) says of course cgminer is running.
The only ways *I* can imagine that number to be exactly static:
1) The system clock stopped at the same time it stopped hashing - simple to check - look at some of the other information you removed - [When] and see if it changes form one output to the next ...
2) The software changes have messed with the main control of cgminer ... and got something wrong there
3) Some number is overflowing somewhere due to the higher hash rate ... and screwing up the work thread(s) in some weird way
4) The hashing speed is perfectly 15419.77 when it thinks it is working but is indeed doing nothing - since the timing to do nothing is the same every time it does nothing Smiley
5) Who knows - anyway I'm wasting my time here ... have fun with it Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000
February 03, 2013, 03:04:36 AM
 is it dead Huh
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091
February 03, 2013, 02:30:26 AM
No speculation.
MHs says it is hashing - reread my last reply.

And as noted, that number is not changing.  The number is constantly changing, normally.

Other stats bear out the conclusion.

Jump to: