Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 55. (Read 438516 times)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250
November 07, 2013, 08:14:47 AM
Thanks I just did that rite before you answered and it seems to have picked up a little speed and stabilized some. Ill run it all night like this and see what happens. I think I may be pulling to much power off this breaker and that may be causing errors. I keep seeing the lights dim  Shocked Im going to move to another room.

while it's not very safe, it should not matter too much as most switched power supplies will adjust for a big swing in input voltage
After moving to another breaker and running for a few hours today Im still seeing crazy HW errors. I opened up the case and checked all my connections everything is nice and snug.

Avalon mini batch 2

Firmware 20130821
--avalon-auto
1h 20m 6s
60-53GH/s
2617 accepted    85 rejects  HW 850
Frequency 375 Fan1 4080     temps 27 49 47

32% HW errors is crazy high. Any suggestions?

Don't use --avalon-auto on your mini.

I run the same CK firmware version
--quiet
1d 6h 42m 38s
63GH/s
47954 accepted 116 rejects HW 13643
Frequency 400 Fan1 2400 / temps 20 49 42
HW% 0.8251

Stick the mini in a cool place, in your basement or a cold room (if you have one), or if you are like me and you live in Canada or Alaska put near a open window or door with the fan facing forward so it can pull the cool air through it.

why not --avalon-auto? works good for me. i want freq to drop if it overheats or hw increase..
November 07, 2013, 08:12:20 AM
yes, and stick to --avalon-auto, that will keep it focusing on NOT overheating..
I lowered mine to 360 yesterday as room was way to hot and chips running hot aswell.
Cool ambient and dont stress your chips.
400mhz worked for those with extreme watercooling.
Remeber ,these chips are stock 280.. so even 375 is stretching them, the old avalons cannot run easily on 375, the new blades in the mini, can overclock "more stable" based on added/bettered covering heatsink.
Activity: 630
Merit: 501
November 07, 2013, 07:33:55 AM
one of my mini's has died!

i woke up to find it had 0gh/s on the pool so i logged in to try to reboot from the interface. rebooting didnt help so i just turned off the device, waited 10 mins and tried to turn on again.

when i turned on the fans went on for a bit as usual when you turn on, but then i smelled strong scent of something being burnt. i then switched off and waited about an hr to try again, this time the fan doesnt even turn and then i see some gray smoke coming out from the air exit area, i have shut it off and pulled the plug right now, anyone have this happen to them before? what are the possibilities?

do you guys think i can fix this and have it run again?

please help me troubleshoot!

i was running 0821 firmware at 400mhz.

I had the same thing happen with two of my batch 3 units. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to fix this unless you can isolate specifically what part on the PCB died and replace it. This would require some skills that not everyone posses. If it's a blown capacitor it might be a lot easier to fix.

I am hoping that the Avalon team would introduce Avalon modules with their new 55nm chips so I can just swap the old cards with new ones, but who knows if and when this will happen.

so should we refrain from running on 400mhz then? my mini is only 2 weeks old, if even that.

is 400mhz unsafe for mini to be running?
I would not recommend running them over 375
i have 6 running at 375 and they all work fine no problems at all
and I'm still getting 56 Ghz on each

You should really do the following if you plan to go over 375Mhz on these minis.

1. confirm they were shipped with 850W Gold PSU's
2. stick them in a cold place, like a cold room or your attic if you live in a city that gets snow this time of the year.

My mini's temps are: 16/47/39
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1003
NodeMasters
November 07, 2013, 07:23:41 AM

i woke up to find it had 0gh/s on the pool so i logged in to try to reboot from the interface. rebooting didnt help so i just turned off the device, waited 10 mins and tried to turn on again.

when i turned on the fans went on for a bit as usual when you turn on, but then i smelled strong scent of something being burnt. i then switched off and waited about an hr to try again, this time the fan doesnt even turn and then i see some gray smoke coming out from the air exit area, i have shut it off and pulled the plug right now, anyone have this happen to them before? what are the possibilities?

I had the same thing happen with two of my batch 3 units. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to fix this unless you can isolate specifically what part on the PCB died and replace it. This would require some skills that not everyone posses. If it's a blown capacitor it might be a lot easier to fix.

I am hoping that the Avalon team would introduce Avalon modules with their new 55nm chips so I can just swap the old cards with new ones, but who knows if and when this will happen.

so should we refrain from running on 400mhz then? my mini is only 2 weeks old, if even that.

I would not recommend running them over 375
i have 6 running at 375 and they all work fine no problems at all
and I'm still getting 56 Ghz on each
Activity: 82
Merit: 10
November 07, 2013, 07:21:24 AM

legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
November 07, 2013, 07:03:01 AM

November 07, 2013, 06:45:12 AM

November 07, 2013, 05:23:27 AM
I mean seriously, more than two units of avalon mini's is impossible in one room. They are like hot stones!
These chips cannot be over 375mhz for sure..

I was thinking of leading the hot air from the units with one of these aluminium "tubes" anyone have experience doing this? I have a window slightly open, but the room is still heating up, and the units default at 350mhz running on 50dgrs.. (i dont really care about the heat, its more the noise and the power draw i care about, and by releasing hot air, keeping them cool, should increase speed and lower heat..).

something like this maybe?
http://www.directindustry.com/prod/yang-chiuan-industrial-co-ltd/aluminum-coated-galvanised-steel-fabric-hoses-88137-894785.html

Aluminium coated galvanised steel fabric hose. 130dgr+ ok.
Activity: 257
November 07, 2013, 05:16:09 AM
No such luck.  But as if on cue, Avalon got back to me and gave me some things to try opening up the box.  They want me to direct connect the FPGA hub to my laptop and see if I can get it to hash.  They are thinking the router is flawed.

Can you please post the procedure if you are successful.
November 07, 2013, 04:23:13 AM
Is there a way to set the fans to a minimum and keep it there regardless of the temperature?

I set fan at 40% but when the temp raises the fan starts to spin faster.

My goal is to turn avalon into a silent heater.

Hehe, no matter what you do, it will try and keep heat at 50dgr (or 70 on chip). if it goes above, it will risk your chips frying..
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000
November 07, 2013, 01:33:55 AM
Is there a way to set the fans to a minimum and keep it there regardless of the temperature?

I set fan at 40% but when the temp raises the fan starts to spin faster.

My goal is to turn avalon into a silent heater.
November 07, 2013, 01:02:36 AM
System
Scheduled Tasks
Add these two:
0  */3 *   *   *     /etc/init.d/cgminer restart
0  20  *   *   *     /sbin/reboot

first one, will restart cgminer every three hours.
second will restart entire miner every 20 hours..
This way i have realised to keep some of my miners online better (those on wifi tend to lock and go m.i.a after a while).

thank you sir, will give it a try right now
Activity: 602
Merit: 100
November 06, 2013, 10:06:33 PM
Would you guys mind reviewing my miner stats? I have been a little concerned about the higher number of hardware errors. Is it too high?

- image removed to keep thread clean -

Thank You

DH(%) is the stat to look at.  It is calculated as HW / (Diff1Shares + HW).  Given that --avalon-auto tries to keep it around 1.5%, I'd say yours is doing better.

Thank you sir! I appreciate you looking it over!
Odi
Activity: 73
November 06, 2013, 07:58:49 PM
Would you guys mind reviewing my miner stats? I have been a little concerned about the higher number of hardware errors. Is it too high?

Thank You

DH(%) is the stat to look at.  It is calculated as HW / (Diff1Shares + HW).  Given that --avalon-auto tries to keep it around 1.5%, I'd say yours is doing better.
November 06, 2013, 06:27:24 PM

Thank You
November 06, 2013, 05:52:05 PM
System
Scheduled Tasks
Add these two:
0  */3 *   *   *     /etc/init.d/cgminer restart
0  20  *   *   *     /sbin/reboot

first one, will restart cgminer every three hours.
second will restart entire miner every 20 hours..
This way i have realised to keep some of my miners online better (those on wifi tend to lock and go m.i.a after a while).
Activity: 630
Merit: 501
November 05, 2013, 11:20:17 PM
Thanks I just did that rite before you answered and it seems to have picked up a little speed and stabilized some. Ill run it all night like this and see what happens. I think I may be pulling to much power off this breaker and that may be causing errors. I keep seeing the lights dim  Shocked Im going to move to another room.

while it's not very safe, it should not matter too much as most switched power supplies will adjust for a big swing in input voltage
After moving to another breaker and running for a few hours today Im still seeing crazy HW errors. I opened up the case and checked all my connections everything is nice and snug.

Avalon mini batch 2

Firmware 20130821
--avalon-auto
1h 20m 6s
60-53GH/s
2617 accepted    85 rejects  HW 850
Frequency 375 Fan1 4080     temps 27 49 47

32% HW errors is crazy high. Any suggestions?

Don't use --avalon-auto on your mini.

I run the same CK firmware version
--quiet
1d 6h 42m 38s
63GH/s
47954 accepted 116 rejects HW 13643
Frequency 400 Fan1 2400 / temps 20 49 42
HW% 0.8251

Stick the mini in a cool place, in your basement or a cold room (if you have one), or if you are like me and you live in Canada or Alaska put near a open window or door with the fan facing forward so it can pull the cool air through it.
Merit: 500
November 05, 2013, 05:27:48 PM
My mini uses the exermax 850w Gold PSU can I push to 450mhz? 
I am getting low temps at night around 40c at 409mhz with 80% fans but Im wondering if its safe to push the unit that hard I am just trying to see the limits of this machine..
I am not seeing hash rates over 55gh/s below 400mhz on the firmware Im running (20130821). I have tried a few different versions but I do not see the same results that others post.
I would love to be running at 345mhz but I cant even break 55gh/s its more like 50gh/s. I tired this https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2552362 with no luck.

At 409mhz I peak at 70~gh/s but its more like 65-60gh/s with HW <2%

This pic is with --quite not 80% fans. I have seen temp 1 as low a 7c but hovers around 11c mostly.
Sorry if this is not the place for this. I did see a post in this thread yesterday that had a few links to OC threads but I could not find it again today.

The only numbers that are important to you are the ones on the pool, disregard all numbers you see in the miner stats.
I think your hardware increase when heat goes up to much, and thats when you are reaching low results..
stick to 375 on --avalon-auto i think is best. (skip quiet).
I get 60gh on mines.. but i restart cgminer automatically every 4 hours. It keeps hw errors low. (0821).

Ill give it a shot at 375mhz on --avalon-auto for a few hours. How do you scheduled cgminer to restart every 4 hours? Ill have to read back through the tread for that one. But the 65-60gh/s is what my pool reports at my current settings and at 1.5% HW. When I remove the --quiet the machine runs cooler so I assume my errors will drop with the temp.
Thanks for the feedback
November 05, 2013, 11:24:38 AM
My mini uses the exermax 850w Gold PSU can I push to 450mhz? 
I am getting low temps at night around 40c at 409mhz with 80% fans but Im wondering if its safe to push the unit that hard I am just trying to see the limits of this machine..
I am not seeing hash rates over 55gh/s below 400mhz on the firmware Im running (20130821). I have tried a few different versions but I do not see the same results that others post.
I would love to be running at 345mhz but I cant even break 55gh/s its more like 50gh/s. I tired this https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2552362 with no luck.

At 409mhz I peak at 70~gh/s but its more like 65-60gh/s with HW <2%

This pic is with --quite not 80% fans. I have seen temp 1 as low a 7c but hovers around 11c mostly.
Sorry if this is not the place for this. I did see a post in this thread yesterday that had a few links to OC threads but I could not find it again today.

The only numbers that are important to you are the ones on the pool, disregard all numbers you see in the miner stats.
I think your hardware increase when heat goes up to much, and thats when you are reaching low results..
stick to 375 on --avalon-auto i think is best. (skip quiet).
I get 60gh on mines.. but i restart cgminer automatically every 4 hours. It keeps hw errors low. (0821).

instructions on how to schedule auto reboot every 4 hrs? thank you for your help!
Activity: 185
November 05, 2013, 10:08:13 AM

Huh?  Are you serious?  Do you even have an Avalon?  or even a hat?  I am raffling my HashFast Sierra too.  only 0.1BTC for a chance to win!

P.S. The Sierra does not exist yet, but even if it does and even if I have one, I will just pretend to pick the name of a bitcointalk member that I created myself or a friend of mine who is in on this scam.
Pages:
Jump to: