Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 75. (Read 438516 times)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250
September 25, 2013, 12:00:51 PM
can someone tell me whether the batch one's controller board can handle 4 pwm fans?

the delta afc121de?
my PSU is on the outside so no issue with PSU being suffocated
Activity: 120
Merit: 100
September 25, 2013, 04:58:33 AM
The major differences is OpenWrt update to r38031 and update Cgminer to latest(Version: 3.4.3 Latest commit: d5f61e9, Sep 22 2013) you can see that at the ChangeLog Smiley
  https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon#20130923

Thanks Xiangfu!  My question is what are the major differences between ckolivas' 20130821 and this new xiangfu 20130923?  I did run xiangfu's 20130723 for a bit on my Batch 3 just fine, but I've been happy with 20130821 so I am not exactly itching to change...  

Seem like both Xiangfu and cklovias use OpenWRT r37008 but the new one upgrades cgminer 3.4.0 to 3.4.4?
Activity: 472
September 25, 2013, 04:37:08 AM
Hi

There is a new Avalon firmware released (Version: 20130923), update your Avalon to latest firmware is always better.

Xiangfu

Thanks Xiangfu!  My question is what are the major differences between ckolivas' 20130821 and this new xiangfu 20130923?  I did run xiangfu's 20130723 for a bit on my Batch 3 just fine, but I've been happy with 20130821 so I am not exactly itching to change...  

Seem like both Xiangfu and cklovias use OpenWRT r37008 but the new one upgrades cgminer 3.4.0 to 3.4.4?
Activity: 120
Merit: 100
September 25, 2013, 12:26:01 AM
Hi

There is a new Avalon firmware released (Version: 20130923), update your Avalon to latest firmware is always better.
  Please read the ChangeLog before reflash, here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon#20130923
  The firmware test plan: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon#Test_Plan
  You can find the firmware here: http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/xiangfu/avalon/latest/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-squashfs-factory.bin. don't forget compare the chksum.

The biggest update was the Cgminer. you will have the best mining software in your Avalon after upgrade. hope we have 45% Avalon upgrade in 72 hours.  Grin.  also I have update the Openwrt to latest release. means your Avalon will gain some more open source power(OpenWrt r37008, Linux 3.10.12 ...)

Xiangfu
September 24, 2013, 09:18:33 AM
so there are no differences between 3 or 4 modules right?

I've read that the mounting screws on b2 and b3 are placed different, so you cannot easily plug a b3 board in a b2 unit and vice versa.
Also, if you can run them 3 per unit, i think its preferred in terms of overclocking and power supply. You will need 1000W+ for 4 units.
Its a lot of amps running through a small control unit. But i will leave an engineer to answer that fully..
legendary
Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014
September 24, 2013, 08:15:38 AM

What should make the difference?
The opposite is the case as you need to run all 4 modules at the weakest module's frequency and will make cooling more difficult.
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
September 24, 2013, 08:12:40 AM
Activity: 630
Merit: 501
September 24, 2013, 07:59:17 AM
Hello,

I have 8 Avalon Asic miner.
4x Batch 3
4x Batch 2

I have some questions.
Is it possible to move an module from Batch 3 to Batch 2? As I read, only
the case design is different between the batches?

Can I get more performance if I build
3x Batch 3 (4 Modules)
3x Batch 2 (4 Modules)

And which power supply do I need for this configuration?
Is 1000 Watt enough?

Not sure about moving a blade from the different batches.

4 blade system do about 107GH/s, you could go higher there is always a risk to doing that.
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
September 24, 2013, 06:21:04 AM
Hello,

I have 8 Avalon Asic miner.
4x Batch 3
4x Batch 2

I have some questions.
Is it possible to move an module from Batch 3 to Batch 2? As I read, only
the case design is different between the batches?

Can I get more performance if I build
3x Batch 3 (4 Modules)
3x Batch 2 (4 Modules)

And which power supply do I need for this configuration?
Is 1000 Watt enough?
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
September 24, 2013, 03:29:36 AM
Today I experienced smoke as well.
After inspection I noticed 2 burnouts on 1 module.
Other 3 modules are already working again...

SO - with this problematic one - any ideas how to make it work again?
Is there any way to make this module work without the burnout part/area?

How to fix this? Is it enough to get burnout parts replaced? (are they anything special or should I get them anywhere?)... Or are the nearby chips damaged too? Any recepie from anyone who went thru this before? Experience and ideas welcome!

Looks similar to the burnt components I ran into a couple weeks ago (back a few pages in this thread).  I decided to bend the pins where the bus plugs into the module, since I don't have soldering skills and finding the components and someone to do the work would be more time and effort than one worker is worth.  The rest of the workers on my module seem to work just fine.

O, this is awesome. I did not think of that, because all workers are interconnected .... so I thought that one not working breaks the chain... But - cant wait to try it out.
Thanks!
September 24, 2013, 02:31:21 AM
again, ddwrt is quite surely more secure than the firewall you have in front.
avalons run on ddwrt, whic is a secure opensource firewall.

It's a Linux distribution with tools useful on a router (wrt is the line of routers for which it was initially built). The standard firewall tools from the Linux kernel are included with an easy to use GUI.

no released hacks to my knowledge..
the person is just trolling..

He's not trolling, he's probably using common sense. The task of a firewall is mainly to filter out unwanted network accesses. The basic rule for any network admin worth its salt is: deny all by default, allow only what is needed.

Apparently the Avalon in question is sitting on a public IP with it's web server (usable only for configuring dd-wrt and the mining software) reachable. So the firewall doesn't do what it should in this context, allowing access to the web server only from local addresses. In the current configuration, a hole in Apache, PHP or the GUI of dd-wrt will be exploitable.

The fact that dd-wrt includes firewall capabilities doesn't mean they are used securely.

and the fact that apache is enabled doesnt make it insecure either..
its like saying all apache webservers are insecure and should not allow web access.
until you find a working exploit, we must consider it safe.
legendary
Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000
September 23, 2013, 11:25:57 PM
i see, so you have found a backdoor to ddwrt? it is a firewall. maybe post this to them and they can update with your hack for next update! and again, no idea where you get "without firewalling" from. ddwrt is an opensource firewall..
Setting an avalon, which already has a firewall behind a firewall, is no specific added security.. especially if it is a standard dlink or netgear.. A firewall is only as safe as it can be configured. DDWRT is a secure opensource firewall.
Hooking up a pc using cgminer all public ports could not be adviced. However, cgminer in this case is running on top of a ddwrt firewall.
If you want to read more about ddwrt go ere:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F

my avalons are running OpenWRT not DD-WRT

avalons run on ddwrt, whic is a secure opensource firewall. no released hacks to my knowledge..

Running any kind of pubic service on a firewall weakens the integrity of the system

Are you one of those smart people running a network fileshare on their firewall thinking the firewall is safe anyways?

Don't run public webservers on a firewall, or at least restrict access to the interface to the internal network and not the public interwebs

The question is not if it's interesting to hack it, as the avalon has no available storage or content.

But if people get in and they use your system as a proxy or relay, then that would explain the extra network traffic (which was the original question)
legendary
Activity: 966
September 23, 2013, 07:39:50 PM
avalons run on ddwrt, whic is a secure opensource firewall. no released hacks to my knowledge..

Incorrect.  Avalons run OpenWRT.

Personally I would have no problems putting my Avalons directly on the big bad internet.   If they get owned, so what?  I won't lose any sensitive information, and if they're already in front of any other firewall(s), it's not like they can be used as a platform to leapfrog into the rest of my network.  At worst I'll lose a bit of mining time/revenue and have to reflash them.

As an aside, dd-wrt does not have a flawless security record: http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/content/dd-wrt-httpd-vulnerability-milw0rmcom-report
Activity: 278
September 23, 2013, 05:44:57 PM

How to fix this? Is it enough to get burnout parts replaced? (are they anything special or should I get them anywhere?)... Or are the nearby chips damaged too? Any recepie from anyone who went thru this before? Experience and ideas welcome!

Looks similar to the burnt components I ran into a couple weeks ago (back a few pages in this thread).  I decided to bend the pins where the bus plugs into the module, since I don't have soldering skills and finding the components and someone to do the work would be more time and effort than one worker is worth.  The rest of the workers on my module seem to work just fine.

Activity: 896
September 23, 2013, 03:55:36 PM
avalons run on ddwrt, whic is a secure opensource firewall.

It's a Linux distribution with tools useful on a router (wrt is the line of routers for which it was initially built). The standard firewall tools from the Linux kernel are included with an easy to use GUI.

no released hacks to my knowledge..

He's not trolling, he's probably using common sense. The task of a firewall is mainly to filter out unwanted network accesses. The basic rule for any network admin worth its salt is: deny all by default, allow only what is needed.

Apparently the Avalon in question is sitting on a public IP with it's web server (usable only for configuring dd-wrt and the mining software) reachable. So the firewall doesn't do what it should in this context, allowing access to the web server only from local addresses. In the current configuration, a hole in Apache, PHP or the GUI of dd-wrt will be exploitable.

The fact that dd-wrt includes firewall capabilities doesn't mean they are used securely.
September 23, 2013, 03:20:38 PM

Once I knocked down one of the small capacitors around the chip, but it still hash very well so I don't bother. This one on your picture is a bit large, you might need to get a similar one to re-solder it on, I think there is an open sourced component list provided by bitsyncom a couple of months ago

Yeah, these two components somehow prevent machine from starting up...
I guess the big one... Will look for the component list and see what can be done.. Smiley
thanks.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
September 23, 2013, 03:13:04 PM

Once I knocked down one of the small capacitors around the chip, but it still hash very well so I don't bother. This one on your picture is a bit large, you might need to get a similar one to re-solder it on, I think there is an open sourced component list provided by bitsyncom a couple of months ago
September 23, 2013, 02:39:11 PM
so if  the web interface is your problem. disable it..
a 15 digit password and no standard username makes any bruteforce attack on it impossible..
if anyone hacks my units, i salute the for the hours of hashing they might steal from me..
creating a storm in a teacup.

There is more than the username/passwd combo to web interface security

Don't hook random appliances up to the interwebs without any firewalling, just common sense

From default passwords to debug backdoors accidentally left open, I've seen it all in the past

i see, so you have found a backdoor to ddwrt? it is a firewall. maybe post this to them and they can update with your hack for next update! and again, no idea where you get "without firewalling" from. ddwrt is an opensource firewall..
Setting an avalon, which already has a firewall behind a firewall, is no specific added security.. especially if it is a standard dlink or netgear.. A firewall is only as safe as it can be configured. DDWRT is a secure opensource firewall.
Hooking up a pc using cgminer all public ports could not be adviced. However, cgminer in this case is running on top of a ddwrt firewall.
If you want to read more about ddwrt go ere:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F

I would only be interested in this too if there is something inside the firmware that transmits out to home base some where that would allow someone in. Otherwise I could care less as I don't put my Avalon's on the internet without a firewall in front them as that would be very bad practice!!

September 23, 2013, 02:09:55 PM

legendary
Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014
September 23, 2013, 08:02:06 AM

Here's the thread that compelled me to upgrade my TIM: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2687268
Thanks for the tips @el_rlee!   Smiley

and a couple of pics to show why you should at least check your chip temps before attempting any OC.
[pics]

You're welcome!
I wouldn't give to much about dielectric properties of the paste. Also please throw away the paper, it's a bad heat conductor! You can put the paste on the PCB and that directly on the heat sink!
Pages:
Jump to: