Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 73. (Read 438516 times)

Activity: 175
Merit: 100
October 01, 2013, 09:17:25 AM
Nice, you should notice better stability also.

Is your unit a batch 2 (previous firmware - 20130723)?

If so you need to remove --avalon-temp 50 --avalon-cutoff 70, these 20 degree higher settings are for b3s.

It should default to the lower b2 settings.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
October 01, 2013, 04:55:55 AM
i m sure to understand but i can read

Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

good paste or not ?

Correct, as5 is not conductive, the only question I have regarding as5 is that it is capacitive unlike arctic silvers mx2 or mx4.
I don't know if that would be an issue in this application so I chose mx4 over the as5.

thermal paste change and there needed.

the thermal paste used by avalon Were dry. would no longer have anything.

Temp 2 before 69 or 70 °
Temp 2 after 58 to 62 °

Temp 3 before 60 or 62 °
Temp 3 after 50 to 52 °

the ventilos not running any more. 2500 instead of 3000rpm

think has tighten the screws that hold the radiators. on mine there was a lot of screws loosen and poor contact and poor heat disipation.

after having tighten the plate is hot

Conclusion: if you want your living avalon still a lot of time,

change the thermal paste.

for 4 modules I have used 60gr of artic silver 5. there was just enough.

I put 6 hours to do everything. disassembly and reassembly test

Now it runs at 110 instead of 108 gh -  less error HW

that happiness

and all this with Firmware Version => 20130723

next step update Firmware

before

after

Did you take any pictures as you did the paste replacement?

no but you can found some picture here.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2687268

and

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3216051

Nice results with the arctic silver 5!   Cool

Are you running --avalon-auto or just set @ 350MHz ?

You should also notice an improvement with the firmware upgrade, highly recommended.

just do firmware upgrade with kolivas 21/08

options  --real-quiet --avalon-auto --avalon-temp 70 --avalon-cutoff 90

now less HW errors
legendary
Activity: 1098
Merit: 1000
September 30, 2013, 07:11:52 AM

Can someone tell me how to add more than the standard 3 pools as in this picture, my first two are btcguild which is currently having problems and the 3rd is 50btc which frequently suffers from problems so would like some more for safety.

I tried adding an extra -o host:port -u x -p x in the more options field but cgminer api said connection refused.

If it means manually editing the conf file, I can SSH into the box but have no knowledge to get me beyond that point.

EDIT

To update my own post in case anyone else wants to do this I just got it working

-o host:port -O user:pass

Lots of pools set now Smiley

Activity: 294
September 30, 2013, 05:04:18 AM
So you had 2 PSUs hooked up at the same time ?
I always wondered if that would work.
Can you post a photo of the damage ?

Two PSU's shouldn't be an issue. I think quite a few people who've OC'd their box are using two, me included.

Two power supplies can be bad mojo if you ever happen to have one powered on and not the other.  Sometimes a power supply in the off state will short +12V to GND.  If this happens while the other is trying to keep things at 12V, bad things will obviously happen.
can someone else also confirm this? adding another 600w psu is clearly cheaper than replacing with one 1000w+..

i wonder why they didnt make the avalons on proliant hot swap psu.. http://m.ebay.com/itm/300976711130 35 euro and 1000w also hot swap..

Could you not perhaps wire both PSU's to the same switch.

I used to run a shitload of hard drives in RAID on a cheap computer.  Think 15-slot plywood drive cage with a dedicated power supply, 120mm fans blowing through the drive slots, and 36 inch IDE cables in a unholy mess to tie back to the main computer.

I built a box with a relay to trigger the power_on signal to the slave power supply when the master power supply was on.  Radio Shack should have a suitable relay, either 5v or 12v DC trigger, negligible output current.  Cut an ATX extension cable to connect to the slave supply, and cut any 4-pin molex accessory (splitter, fan power, SATA converter, etc) for the input.  Bond the power supply cases together, either by rigidly mounting them in a shared metal frame, or by using a copper wire (and an appropriate crimp-on spade terminal if you aren't a savage).

For connecting the relay, you have several options.  Bonus points if you etch and drill a PCB.  This is an easy build, you can draw if freehand with a sharpie and the Radio Shack PCB kit.  Second best choice is to use a socketed relay.  Automotive relays are commonly available with pigtail sockets, from there it is just a few wire nuts to get everything together.  Third is QC connectors.  Forth is soldering directly to the relay.

Heh, if this is the case, i rather invest in a €100 psu and replace the one in it.
So it is kind of confirmed, if a certain psu model shorts 12v+ground, it might kill the entire unit?
Even disabling this shorting functionality might be too much for me and would make me just buy new psu..
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006
Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
September 29, 2013, 02:45:25 PM
64 bytes from 192.168.0.211: icmp_seq=79 ttl=64 time=33.427 ms (DUP!)
64 bytes from 192.168.0.211: icmp_seq=81 ttl=64 time=32.599 ms (DUP!)
Are there two devices on your network with the same .0.211 ip address ?
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/13254/what-could-dup-mean-when-using-ping
legendary
September 29, 2013, 02:44:44 PM
Make sure the cable is ok by swapping it. It could also mean that perhaps the port on your switch/router is flaky. But it could in the end also mean the ethernet interface on the tp-link router is about to crap out.

The Avalon is connected to an ethernet switch. There are other devices as well. I took out the TP-Link from the Avalon and it behaves the same when connected directly to the router.
Activity: 826
Merit: 1001
September 29, 2013, 04:07:17 AM
Are there two devices on your network with the same .0.211 ip address ?
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
September 28, 2013, 11:07:14 PM
Make sure the cable is ok by swapping it. It could also mean that perhaps the port on your switch/router is flaky. But it could in the end also mean the ethernet interface on the tp-link router is about to crap out.
legendary
September 28, 2013, 07:18:16 PM
Guys what are the signs that the TP Link module in the avalon is dying.
The TP link inside my avalon has become pretty unresponsive suddenly and it's mining slowly at 30GH/s. Also I cannot log on the the web page. It's very slow to load.

Here's the ping response
Code:
Request timeout for icmp_seq 78
64 bytes from 192.168.0.211: icmp_seq=79 ttl=64 time=9.170 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.211: icmp_seq=80 ttl=64 time=9.124 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.211: icmp_seq=81 ttl=64 time=9.171 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.211: icmp_seq=82 ttl=64 time=6.698 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 83
64 bytes from 192.168.0.211: icmp_seq=84 ttl=64 time=6.048 ms
^C
--- 192.168.0.211 ping statistics ---
85 packets transmitted, 67 packets received, +5 duplicates, 21.2% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 4.700/25.542/292.907/54.149 ms
kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1026
September 28, 2013, 12:43:48 AM

Two PSU's shouldn't be an issue. I think quite a few people who've OC'd their box are using two, me included.

Two power supplies can be bad mojo if you ever happen to have one powered on and not the other.  Sometimes a power supply in the off state will short +12V to GND.  If this happens while the other is trying to keep things at 12V, bad things will obviously happen.
can someone else also confirm this? adding another 600w psu is clearly cheaper than replacing with one 1000w+..

i wonder why they didnt make the avalons on proliant hot swap psu.. http://m.ebay.com/itm/300976711130 35 euro and 1000w also hot swap..

I used to run a shitload of hard drives in RAID on a cheap computer.  Think 15-slot plywood drive cage with a dedicated power supply, 120mm fans blowing through the drive slots, and 36 inch IDE cables in a unholy mess to tie back to the main computer.

I built a box with a relay to trigger the power_on signal to the slave power supply when the master power supply was on.  Radio Shack should have a suitable relay, either 5v or 12v DC trigger, negligible output current.  Cut an ATX extension cable to connect to the slave supply, and cut any 4-pin molex accessory (splitter, fan power, SATA converter, etc) for the input.  Bond the power supply cases together, either by rigidly mounting them in a shared metal frame, or by using a copper wire (and an appropriate crimp-on spade terminal if you aren't a savage).

For connecting the relay, you have several options.  Bonus points if you etch and drill a PCB.  This is an easy build, you can draw if freehand with a sharpie and the Radio Shack PCB kit.  Second best choice is to use a socketed relay.  Automotive relays are commonly available with pigtail sockets, from there it is just a few wire nuts to get everything together.  Third is QC connectors.  Forth is soldering directly to the relay.
legendary
September 28, 2013, 12:01:16 AM

legendary
September 27, 2013, 11:57:21 PM
You're probably right. The original PSU works just fine with the third module disabled, so it's likely that just a part of that module is damaged. When I get a chance I will take it apart and inspect the module. It would suck if it's the backplane that's damanged as two modules connect to one backplane. I must admit I'm not a big fan of the batch3 design. As of now the unit is hashing fine with two modules and with the original PSU in place.

I'm thinking of selling the unit. I am getting tired of babysitting these units.

If anyone wants to make me an offer for the unit (bear in mind that at the moment only two modules are officially functioning) please PM me.

The b3 backplane easily breaks apart in order to separate the modules, there are no electrical connections between the 2 modules on the same backplane.

Possible magic smoke sources on the backplane are the power connectors, 2 caps on the bottom side, or worse case circuit traces.

I see. Thanks for the info. When I decommission it (if I don't sell it by then) I'll have a look at it and see if I can fix it by replacing the capacitor (if it's burnt).

Activity: 294
September 27, 2013, 12:26:18 PM

September 27, 2013, 10:09:02 AM
It's not a ribbon cable, it's 3 individual wires as far as I remember

No, I meant the large ribbon cable from the fpga controller to the module. I believe the temp sensors are routed through this ribbon cable on b3s since the sensors are now on the pcb.
legendary
Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014
September 27, 2013, 09:57:12 AM
It's not a ribbon cable, it's 3 individual wires as far as I remember
September 27, 2013, 09:45:32 AM
A question about fans.

I have a damaged second hand Batch #3.  The power distribution board is destroyed, and I can't find a source for a replacement.
I only have 1 of the mining modules.  It is also damaged, the 10 chip miner P9 has a destroyed capacitor in the center of the chips, the familiar capacitor seen in many other photographs.
I have moved the header / backplane chip 1 position toward higher numbers.

I bought a control module and a power distribution module from bitmine.  I believe these conform closely to the public release of the early Avalon schematics.

The unit hashes and submits shares to eligius.  The 10 chip miner connected to the first position on the header always reports 0 work, so I assume that both the 1st header and the 1st 10 chip miner are damaged.

No matter what I do, the fans only turn a few dozen rpm, and the temp2 and temp3 are reported as 0 using c kolivas 20130821 firmware.

I am using --avalon-fan 80 in the parameters.

Does anyone have any insight about the fans?

How shall the firmware spin the fans without temperature reading?
I have some spare thermo sensors lying around. Also they are cheap if you want to buy your own from an electronic supplier of your choice, the type can be found in the published Avalon documents.

^ What he said... you need a temp2 reading afaik. The b3s have the thermal sensor on the hash board.
Try plugging the ribbon cable into the 2nd connector on the controller board, I think then it will see the module as temp2.
Activity: 630
Merit: 501
September 27, 2013, 09:28:25 AM
My B1 Avalon is showing a temp of -1 on temp2 and the power light is flashing, does anyone know what this means?

I released the PSU a week ago and haven't used it since because my internet has been down. I wonder if a wire is lose in side or something?

Also I would like to know what fans are used in the B2 avalons?

Thanks
legendary
September 27, 2013, 09:03:21 AM
By the way if somebody wants to water-cool his Avalon I still have 3 water blocks lying around (actually waiting for my trade-in unit Sad )...
legendary
September 27, 2013, 08:56:30 AM
A question about fans.

I have a damaged second hand Batch #3.  The power distribution board is destroyed, and I can't find a source for a replacement.
I only have 1 of the mining modules.  It is also damaged, the 10 chip miner P9 has a destroyed capacitor in the center of the chips, the familiar capacitor seen in many other photographs.

I bought a control module and a power distribution module from bitmine.  I believe these conform closely to the public release of the early Avalon schematics.

The unit hashes and submits shares to eligius.  The 10 chip miner connected to the first position on the header always reports 0 work, so I assume that both the 1st header and the 1st 10 chip miner are damaged.

No matter what I do, the fans only turn a few dozen rpm, and the temp2 and temp3 are reported as 0 using c kolivas 20130821 firmware.

How shall the firmware spin the fans without temperature reading?
I have some spare thermo sensors lying around. Also they are cheap if you want to buy your own from an electronic supplier of your choice, the type can be found in the published Avalon documents.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002
September 27, 2013, 08:35:25 AM
A question about fans.

Pages:
Jump to: