Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 76. (Read 438516 times)

Activity: 630
Merit: 501
September 23, 2013, 07:26:57 AM
so if  the web interface is your problem. disable it..
a 15 digit password and no standard username makes any bruteforce attack on it impossible..
if anyone hacks my units, i salute the for the hours of hashing they might steal from me..
creating a storm in a teacup.

There is more than the username/passwd combo to web interface security

Don't hook random appliances up to the interwebs without any firewalling, just common sense

From default passwords to debug backdoors accidentally left open, I've seen it all in the past

i see, so you have found a backdoor to ddwrt? it is a firewall. maybe post this to them and they can update with your hack for next update! and again, no idea where you get "without firewalling" from. ddwrt is an opensource firewall..
Setting an avalon, which already has a firewall behind a firewall, is no specific added security.. especially if it is a standard dlink or netgear.. A firewall is only as safe as it can be configured. DDWRT is a secure opensource firewall.
Hooking up a pc using cgminer all public ports could not be adviced. However, cgminer in this case is running on top of a ddwrt firewall.
If you want to read more about ddwrt go ere:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F

I would only be interested in this too if there is something inside the firmware that transmits out to home base some where that would allow someone in. Otherwise I could care less as I don't put my Avalon's on the internet without a firewall in front them as that would be very bad practice!!
Activity: 175
Merit: 100
September 23, 2013, 06:51:48 AM
i m sure to understand but i can read

Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

good paste or not ?

Correct, as5 is not conductive, the only question I have regarding as5 is that it is capacitive unlike arctic silvers mx2 or mx4.
I don't know if that would be an issue in this application so I chose mx4 over the as5.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
September 23, 2013, 06:43:47 AM
i m sure to understand but i can read

Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

good paste or not ?
September 23, 2013, 06:42:19 AM

example lack of enough cooling pasta

5 tubes artic silver 5 - 12 gr is enough or not for 320 chips

total 60gr

if it resolv problem i do quickly for sure
Be sure You don't use partially conductive paste (with silver addition).

as 5 is not conductive although it is capacitive unlike mx2 or mx4 (my choice).
Has anyone tried as5 yet?

Here's the thread that compelled me to upgrade my TIM: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2687268
Thanks for the tips @el_rlee!   Smiley

and a couple of pics to show why you should at least check your chip temps before attempting any OC.

The chip in the upper left was not getting much thermal relief due to that fold... very sloppy.

The low grade thermal paste was dry and crumbly after just a couple weeks and maybe just a tad inconsistent.   Roll Eyes   Sad

application tip: after cleaning and priming the heatsink preheat it in the oven at the lowest setting, mine was 170 F, a warm heat sink helps the paste spread easier. I also warmed the paste before application by putting the tubes in a plastic bag and then placing them in warm water. A couple 20g tubes should cover it and run a bead down the side of the heatsink before you screw it back down to the case also.
Activity: 259
Dig your freedom
September 23, 2013, 05:10:22 AM

total 60gr

Be sure You don't use partially conductive paste (with silver addition).
Activity: 294
September 22, 2013, 10:34:11 AM
so if  the web interface is your problem. disable it..
a 15 digit password and no standard username makes any bruteforce attack on it impossible..
if anyone hacks my units, i salute the for the hours of hashing they might steal from me..

Don't hook random appliances up to the interwebs without any firewalling, just common sense

From default passwords to debug backdoors accidentally left open, I've seen it all in the past

i see, so you have found a backdoor to ddwrt? it is a firewall. maybe post this to them and they can update with your hack for next update! and again, no idea where you get "without firewalling" from. ddwrt is an opensource firewall..
Setting an avalon, which already has a firewall behind a firewall, is no specific added security.. especially if it is a standard dlink or netgear.. A firewall is only as safe as it can be configured. DDWRT is a secure opensource firewall.
Hooking up a pc using cgminer all public ports could not be adviced. However, cgminer in this case is running on top of a ddwrt firewall.
If you want to read more about ddwrt go ere:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F

September 22, 2013, 04:40:03 AM
Sadly these PSU's costs more in Canada Sad

Activity: 185
September 21, 2013, 11:47:27 PM
I bought a Batch 1 Avalon and want to replace the power supply with a bigger one. Can anyone suggest a power supply to use that will fit inside the case?

Looking at the 850's they are longer than the 620w that's inside and I am not sure if it will fit?

Thanks

I am using the Corsair TX850M PSU to power my 3-module Avalon.  This PSU is only 160mm in length (max for Avalon is 170mm).  It is also very efficient (85% efficiency) and rated for operation at up to 50° C.  I paid $120, but looks like the price has dropped to just $102.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Enthusiast-Series-Modular-TX850M/dp/B005E98EI2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379821025&tag=trusted2-20&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+850w
September 21, 2013, 10:51:21 PM

total 60gr

Activity: 133
September 21, 2013, 05:33:25 PM
ckolivas, can you take a look at my posted debug output ?

http://pastebin.com/PgfS5jzT
What's the symptom? The debugging output looks normal.

The Avalon is not hashing, it allways shows 0 MH/s.

So the cronjob restarts every 2 minutes cgminer, cause it does not submit any shares.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
September 21, 2013, 05:27:41 PM

What's the symptom? The debugging output looks normal.
September 21, 2013, 05:18:34 PM
I bought a Batch 1 Avalon and want to replace the power supply with a bigger one. Can anyone suggest a power supply to use that will fit inside the case?

Looking at the 850's they are longer than the 620w that's inside and I am not sure if it will fit?

Thanks
legendary
Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000
September 21, 2013, 02:06:38 PM
so if  the web interface is your problem. disable it..

legendary
Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000
September 21, 2013, 02:00:40 PM
their s alot of problem with last Firmware.  
Excuse me?

the last page here describes alot of problems and all use the latest firmware

many grilled modules

bullshit

the last page has many mentions of the latest firmware because that is what most people are running as it is the most stable

More and more systems are getting crippled as they are coming to the end of their lifespan due to crappy Avalon assembly (for example lack of enough cooling pasta)

Don't blame the software for a hardware problem
Activity: 133
September 21, 2013, 12:43:07 PM
I dont think its a firmware related problem.

Thanks
September 21, 2013, 12:32:11 PM
Excuse me?

many grilled modules
You're blaming the wrong thing, but that's fine, you go on believing whatever you want...

Ck's last firmware is probably the best firmware for the Avalons. Runs for weeks on end in my 4 module batch 2 without issue.

The many grilled modules are likely a result of avalon's crappy quality control.

what is the solution ?
Activity: 294
September 21, 2013, 11:41:06 AM
its not insecure.. ddwrt is one of the most secure firewalls.
is you access fully open, then its config, not related to showing ddwrt to public.
keep a safe password and your safe.

Firewalls should not run a web interface pointing to the interwebs

so if  the web interface is your problem. disable it..
September 21, 2013, 10:04:39 AM
Excuse me?

many grilled modules
You're blaming the wrong thing, but that's fine, you go on believing whatever you want...

Ck's last firmware is probably the best firmware for the Avalons. Runs for weeks on end in my 4 module batch 2 without issue.

Indeed!  The many grilled modules are likely a result of avalon's crappy quality control.

My b3 has been very stable on 20130821 and faster than the 20130730 it shipped with.

Nice work ckolivas!!     Smiley
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
September 21, 2013, 09:44:14 AM
September 21, 2013, 08:45:13 AM
Excuse me?

many grilled modules

I do not blame anyone in particular. I just see that everyone who uses the latest firmware have problems. surely coincidence Huh?
Pages:
Jump to: