Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 81. (Read 438516 times)

legendary
Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000
September 13, 2013, 04:17:38 AM
Hello,

Got an Avalon Clone with 4 modules today. I'm using a Coirsair HX1050 psu.

I turn on the machine, wait a bit, plug a lan cable and nothing happens. On my computer it shows the connection as cable not plugged in.

Can you describe what the Avalon is doing? Is it booting up? Do you see a green and yellow light?

Is the little blue LED on the TP-LINK WR703N blinking?

When you say "as cable not plugged in" do you mean you don't get a link LED on your computer when you plug in the cable?

It's auto-neg so no cross cable needed
Activity: 651
Merit: 500
September 13, 2013, 03:52:51 AM
Hello,

I turn on the machine, wait a bit, plug a lan cable and nothing happens. On my computer it shows the connection as cable not plugged in.

I've connected directly to my computer (192.168.0.101).

What am I missing?

Crossover cable should be used for direct connection.
I am pretty sure the WR703N has Auto-MDIX. Any cable (straight or cross) should be fine.

on that case try different subnet and addresses, maybe it not on the 192.168.0.0/24 ?
try broadcast ping
donator
Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012
September 13, 2013, 03:31:54 AM
Hello,

What am I missing?

I am pretty sure the WR703N has Auto-MDIX. Any cable (straight or cross) should be fine.
Activity: 68
Merit: 10
September 13, 2013, 03:24:35 AM
I'm auctioning off my Avalon Batch #3 - 3 Module Miner

Auction ends Friday September 13th @ 9:00 PM PDT

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/auction-avalon-3-module-miner-353-mhz-83ghs-southern-california-292497

Current Bid is at 25 BTC!

Southern California local pickup is preferred, read the thread for details about shipping, etc...

Happy Bidding!
Activity: 651
September 13, 2013, 12:22:17 AM
Hello,

What am I missing?

Activity: 267
Merit: 250
September 12, 2013, 05:55:20 PM
Hello,

What am I missing?
legendary
September 11, 2013, 07:45:53 PM
any places in California?

Depends on where in California, but for example in San Francisco you'll find the finest soldering guns hanging out at http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Noisebridge

I even have a key to open the front door right in front of me, but you can just drop by and buzz yourself in.
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
September 11, 2013, 04:13:45 PM
BTW:  I still haven't figured out what to do with the bad module.  Looking for a repair place nearby is proving challenging.  I'm near Boston, Mass. if anyone knows of one.

http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Boston

http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/California
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
September 11, 2013, 04:08:14 PM
BTW:  I still haven't figured out what to do with the bad module.  Looking for a repair place nearby is proving challenging.  I'm near Boston, Mass. if anyone knows of one.

legendary
Activity: 1036
Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom
September 11, 2013, 02:46:38 AM
how does one go about removing the F1 fuse? can this just be nipped off? Does this effect the avalon in any other way other than allowing USB connection?

Okay, so after inspecting the control board, i can see my batch 2 avalon does not have the F1 fuse, i am guessing my batch 1 units will though.

when connecting via USB, can i use the USB male B - B female on the control board, or do i use the USB male A - female A?
legendary
September 10, 2013, 09:56:36 PM

Activity: 278
September 10, 2013, 05:50:00 PM

It's a b3 with ckolivas's 20130821 firmware and for options "--real-quiet --avalon-auto --avalon-fan 100 --avalon-freq 325-370 --avalon-cutoff 90 --avalon-temp 70"

Don't the two highlighted in red contradict each other as settings? How can it run "real quiet" when the fan speed is forced to 100%?

The settings highlighted in blue seem to be pretty extreme settings. 70C temperatures and 90C as the cutoff temp? Thats pretty crazy....

Did I wake up today in a different universe where running these at 70+ degrees is a good thing with a cutoff temp of 90C? The temp on these is being measured by a cheapy temp sensor that rests on the heatsink rather than on the chip. With temps like those it is almost certain to fry....

Real-quiet deals with the text output, not the fan noise.

Avalon-cutoff and avalon-temp settings were recommended elsewhere in this thread for the b3's.  I think avalon-temp tells cgminer/avalon-auto at what temp to stop raising the frequency, and avalon-cutoff tells cgminer to stop hashing at that temp.

If you're only familiar with earlier batches, yes, the temps would seem high.

-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
September 10, 2013, 04:55:13 PM
It's a b3 with ckolivas's 20130821 firmware and for options "--real-quiet --avalon-auto --avalon-fan 100 --avalon-freq 325-370 --avalon-cutoff 90 --avalon-temp 70"

Don't the two highlighted in red contradict each other as settings? How can it run "real quiet" when the fan speed is forced to 100%?

The settings highlighted in blue seem to be pretty extreme settings. 70C temperatures and 90C as the cutoff temp? Thats pretty crazy....

Did I wake up today in a different universe where running these at 70+ degrees is a good thing with a cutoff temp of 90C? The temp on these is being measured by a cheapy temp sensor that rests on the heatsink rather than on the chip. With temps like those it is almost certain to fry....

Code:
--real-quiet        Disable all output
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1003
September 10, 2013, 01:28:41 PM
I am certain it is the module, after messing around with it for a while I started to smell that infamous burning electronics smell. To further prove it's the module, I saw it spark up pretty good upon flipping the switch on... scared the crap out of me lol.

This just happened to me too.   Angry

On mine it's clearly the chip near the center of a miner with a big + sign and "680 e31" - it looks and smells burnt

In my unit two modules are connected and two are not.  The problem is on one of the connected modules, though it looks like I could separate it fairly easily.

Still searching... is there a warranty or some way to get this fixed?

What frequency were you running?

It was set to 325 mhz and oc'd using --avalon-auto

Previously it would get up to the high 340's, sometimes hover around 350/351.  I never did any forced or "crazy" oc'ing, just used avalon-auto.

Last week it was stuck at 325 most of the time, and put up the expected hash rate (measured at the pool).

I got in today and found the red light on, fans not spinning, toggled the power switch, and got a loud pop and the burnt smell, I immediately shut it off and started pulling it apart.  The PSU is good, per the two testers I tried on it.

I have my a/c feeding four b3's 24/7 and the other three are doing well (no slowdown or other signs of trouble) all with temp2 in the mid 60's.

I disconnected the bad module and have the remaining three running now.  I tried changing the miner count from 32 down to 24, but that made it run like only two modules were installed.  I put it back to 32 and it's doing about 78 GH/s @325 Mhz.  Also interesting is that avalon-auto doesn't seem to be kicking in.  It's been stuck at 325 Mhz for almost half an hour now (since my last restart), just like last week.  I tried setting avalon-freq to 330-370 just to get it to move and it won't.

Could this be due to a bad flash?  I haven't seen anyone else report that problem.

legendary
September 10, 2013, 01:27:05 PM
unplug the jumper? i noticed when i plugged it directly into my laptop it said unkown device can't draw enough power from the USB port, but if i plugged itinot a powered hub it did not give me this notification
Activity: 602
Vertrau in Gott
September 10, 2013, 01:17:48 PM
is it possible to connect a avalon to a laptop and mine using laptop cgminer or bfgminer?
Yes, disconnect WRT router and plug in USB cable from controller  to your PC.  

cgminer-nogpu.exe -o stratum.bitcoin.cz:3333 -u XXXXXX -p YYYY -D --verbose --avalon-options 115200:24:10:45:282

Thanks for the reply, i disconnected the router and plugged the USB into my host, then ran cgminer with the above bit it never detects my avalon. anything else need done?

winusb driver! (force install with zadiag)

you are welcome

btw: unplug the jumper or your usb port gets some extra volts!
legendary
September 10, 2013, 10:09:23 AM
is it possible to connect a avalon to a laptop and mine using laptop cgminer or bfgminer?
Yes, disconnect WRT router and plug in USB cable from controller  to your PC.  

cgminer-nogpu.exe -o stratum.bitcoin.cz:3333 -u XXXXXX -p YYYY -D --verbose --avalon-options 115200:24:10:45:282

Thanks for the reply, i disconnected the router and plugged the USB into my host, then ran cgminer with the above bit it never detects my avalon. anything else need done?
Activity: 175
Merit: 100
September 10, 2013, 07:09:26 AM
I am certain it is the module, after messing around with it for a while I started to smell that infamous burning electronics smell. To further prove it's the module, I saw it spark up pretty good upon flipping the switch on... scared the crap out of me lol.

This just happened to me too.   Angry

On mine it's clearly the chip near the center of a miner with a big + sign and "680 e31" - it looks and smells burnt

In my unit two modules are connected and two are not.  The problem is on one of the connected modules, though it looks like I could separate it fairly easily.

Still searching... is there a warranty or some way to get this fixed?

That's C1, an SMD tantalum capacitor 680uF/2.5V according to the BOM.

It's a common cheap part, find a local electronics or cell phone repair shop.

Should be an easy fix, even a tantalum cap with leads could probably be substituted in a pinch, with B3s every minute counts.    Sad

And I know what part will definitely be included on my next Mouser order.    Roll Eyes
Activity: 259
Dig your freedom
September 10, 2013, 06:35:13 AM
Yes, disconnect WRT router and plug in USB cable from controller  to your PC.  

-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
September 10, 2013, 06:31:20 AM
Sure, I've been mining to mine from my PC since the router broke in mine.

Almost a week of mining with cgminer 3.4.2:
Code:
 AVA  0: 21C/ 45C 2160R | 76.62G/82.88Gh/s | A:12151796 R:21075 HW:245816 WU:1157.9/m

Just open the top, pull the usb cable out and plug in a (printer type) usb cable from there to your PC.
Pages:
Jump to: