Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 80. (Read 438516 times)

-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
September 14, 2013, 07:19:34 PM
I have one that I've bridged R113 on now to make it accept power from the USB A port.  I tested it in my B1 and it seems to mine fine, powered by the downstream hub.

It's still different from the factory Avalon WR703N in that it doesn't have the wifi pigtail attached (no problem if you use ethernet).  I hope you use ethernet.  I can still attach a pigtail if needed.

It also has 32MB of RAM instead of 64MB the Avalon ones have.  So far as I can tell it works fine with 32MB.

If you want to PM me a shipping address I'll send it over.
Thanks very much. I disabled wifi not long after getting the device as that is probably the one most important thing to increase stability after the firmware.
PM Sent.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
September 14, 2013, 07:12:19 PM
Well, I *can* make more firmware, but I will be making it blind, and since the new usb library needs udev, I will have modified the avalon build to include udev in it. I have no idea if that even works just like that or needs some other modifications to work. So while I can build the firmware, I can't test if it works, and likely, given the change to the underlying OS, it will brick the avalon. If someone is capable of unbricking their avalon and is willing to try it, I'll post said firmware (the former requirement is more important than the latter desire).

However... there is nothing particularly new in the latest cgminer for Avalon except for the inclusion of a new libusb built statically into the binary which may make it less likely to have USB failures, but since the last firmware I posted was so solid, I don't see the need for upgrading.

It's just a WR703N with a few mods.  I'll try and get one of mine modded to send him if he'll take it.  I'll need a shipping address if someone wants to PM me one.

I most definitely appreciate his contributions.  I received some more avalons yesterday that came with 0723.  After I put 0821 on them they're all mining substantially faster.

I really hope to see a firmware some day that can clock each 10-chip board individually.  I don't know what it would take to accomplish that...I guess reprogramming the FPGA controller.

For now I plan to play games swapping modules around to try and make some strong machines (clocked higher) and some weaker ones.
Thanks for the offer Bogart, but I'm not expecting to pull any more rabbits out of my hat for Avalon hardware. I still wouldn't mind a fixed device (broke the damn thing trying to hold down reset button) so I can at least keep the avalon firmware in line with latest cgminer.

I have one that I've bridged R113 on now to make it accept power from the USB A port.  I tested it in my B1 and it seems to mine fine, powered by the downstream hub.

It's still different from the factory Avalon WR703N in that it doesn't have the wifi pigtail attached (no problem if you use ethernet).  I hope you use ethernet.  I can still attach a pigtail if needed.

It also has 32MB of RAM instead of 64MB the Avalon ones have.  So far as I can tell it works fine with 32MB.

If you want to PM me a shipping address I'll send it over.
legendary
Activity: 1112
September 14, 2013, 04:43:45 PM
Isn't the PDU in a different place on B3 units?  Or am I misremembering...

The PDU (the passive board, not the one with the FPGA) is in the same spot as with the Batch #1 and Batch #2 units, they did move it an inch or so backwards.

With the Batch #3 unit, they did move the TP-LINK WR703N board to sit under the (FPGA) control unit.
legendary
September 14, 2013, 03:49:59 PM
anyone tried relocating the PDU to accomodate longer PSUs?

Some PSUs are OK. I got a couple OCZ 1250w PSUs for my B3 units. Fits fine in the case without moving anything, overclocks like a champ.

Isn't the PDU in a different place on B3 units?  Or am I misremembering...

The Corsair HX1050 (and same-sized HX850 that I used with 3 modules) barely fit in my B1.  I have to unscrew the PDU board, and reinstall it after the PSU is in place.  The specs on newegg say they are 7.09" long.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
September 14, 2013, 11:48:03 AM

Some PSUs are OK. I got a couple OCZ 1250w PSUs for my B3 units. Fits fine in the case without moving anything, overclocks like a champ.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
September 14, 2013, 11:22:05 AM
having some strange problems with my batch 1 4 modules.

it keeps restarting and not hashing for more than 3-4 times over the past few hours.!

What power supply?  To run 4 modules you should replace the stock PSU for sure.

My Batch 1 is humming along fine now with 4 modules at 348MHz (--avalon-auto) with 1d16h uptime.  I installed a Corsair HX1050.

oops

changed it to a seasonic x1250w 80+ gold

Yes, I did with the Corsair AX1200i.

It works fine. I simply used two zip ties and placed it vertically against one side of the case.

how did u make sure it didn't move or short circuit?

would be nice if u could show some pics
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1003
September 14, 2013, 11:06:48 AM
Yes, I did with the Corsair AX1200i.

It works fine. I simply used two zip ties and placed it vertically against one side of the case.
legendary
September 14, 2013, 10:56:55 AM

it keeps restarting and not hashing for more than 3-4 times over the past few hours.!

What power supply?  To run 4 modules you should replace the stock PSU for sure.

My Batch 1 is humming along fine now with 4 modules at 348MHz (--avalon-auto) with 1d16h uptime.  I installed a Corsair HX1050.
September 14, 2013, 10:47:27 AM
September 14, 2013, 10:46:43 AM

the normal temps are around 46-48degC with fans spinning at the lower range of rpms set by me. (normally i set them to 30-100% at night to reduce noise and 50-100% during the day and it stays around the 30 and 50% levels respectively.)

hope the new firmware will help.

anyway for those overclocking to 350mhz for batch 1 or whatever.

pls do more aggressive cooling on yr miners. as a result of those measures, mine run a lot cooler than before, (below 50 most of the time except for some problems above) and much quieter.
legendary
September 13, 2013, 05:49:58 PM
Just my luck... another burnt part, in a different unit.  Unlike my other one there were no unusual symptoms beforehand.  Same settings as the last unit.

Now I'm wondering if unplugging the affected miner from the bus would work.  Might be tough to do, but it would let me use the other seven miners on that module without having to try and repair the broken one.

I suspect you might just be overclocking way too aggressively.

I have mine (Batch 1) overlcocked to 350 (constant) and I don't let it pass from 45C. The fans are set to 40%-100% with them running mostly at about 2000 to 2400 RPM~. Note: That is because I am using dust filters on the intake. So if I take them off the fan RPM would go even lower....but the unit become dirty on the inside and needs to be cleaned out.

I let avalon-auto do the overclocking.  350 is where this one was staying, for days and days.  Fans are at 100%, it's a batch 3 and the temp always hovered in the mid 60's.
I am also using the AX1200i Platinum Plus from corsair.

http://www.corsair.com/power-supply-units/ax-series-power-supply-units/ax1200i-digital-atx-power-supply-1200-watt-80-plus-platinum-certified-fully-modular-psu.html

Perhaps the recommendations being adhered to were by a very good batch 3 that could take thermals that high?

Yours seems to be suffering...if a third module goes out then I think we can probably say that not all Avalon Batch 3's should be allowed to go that high in temps. Especially when Avalon usually has a very poor thermal interface with the metal heatsink.

Oh and I also have a heavy duty laptop cooler beneath my Avalon Batch 1 to cool the bottom aluminum plate.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G603E2/ref=oh_details_o03_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Activity: 278
September 13, 2013, 05:17:52 PM
Just my luck... another burnt part, in a different unit.  Unlike my other one there were no unusual symptoms beforehand.  Same settings as the last unit.

Now I'm wondering if unplugging the affected miner from the bus would work.  Might be tough to do, but it would let me use the other seven miners on that module without having to try and repair the broken one.

I have mine (Batch 1) overlcocked to 350 (constant) and I don't let it pass from 45C. The fans are set to 40%-100% with them running mostly at about 2000 to 2400 RPM~. Note: That is because I am using dust filters on the intake. So if I take them off the fan RPM would go even lower....but the unit become dirty on the inside and needs to be cleaned out.

I let avalon-auto do the overclocking.  350 is where this one was staying, for days and days.  Fans are at 100%, it's a batch 3 and the temp always hovered in the mid 60's.
Activity: 259
Dig your freedom
September 13, 2013, 05:06:58 PM
Just my luck... another burnt part, in a different unit.  Unlike my other one there were no unusual symptoms beforehand.  Same settings as the last unit.

http://i.imgur.com/weLyGs3.jpg?4

Now I'm wondering if unplugging the affected miner from the bus would work.  Might be tough to do, but it would let me use the other seven miners on that module without having to try and repair the broken one.

Check your PSU in that machine. Some wrong here if ceramic capacitors burn out.
legendary
September 13, 2013, 01:13:12 PM

I've done this.  It works.

Just remove the screws and peel/pull it off (the thermal paste will stick a bit).  Depending on which one it is, you may have to remove the backplane board to access all the screws.
legendary
September 13, 2013, 01:03:40 PM

legendary
September 13, 2013, 01:02:20 PM
Hello,

Got an Avalon Clone with 4 modules today. I'm using a Coirsair HX1050 psu.

I turn on the machine, wait a bit, plug a lan cable and nothing happens. On my computer it shows the connection as cable not plugged in.

Can you describe what the Avalon is doing? Is it booting up? Do you see a green and yellow light?

Is the little blue LED on the TP-LINK WR703N blinking?

When you say "as cable not plugged in" do you mean you don't get a link LED on your computer when you plug in the cable?

It's auto-neg so no cross cable needed
speaking of cables. What needs to be modified in a standard IDE cable to make it compatible with a batch 1 Avalon?

Is it 80pin or 40pin (I forget)?
Activity: 278
September 13, 2013, 12:28:38 PM
Just my luck... another burnt part, in a different unit.  Unlike my other one there were no unusual symptoms beforehand.  Same settings as the last unit.

Now I'm wondering if unplugging the affected miner from the bus would work.  Might be tough to do, but it would let me use the other seven miners on that module without having to try and repair the broken one.

Activity: 267
September 13, 2013, 09:20:32 AM
Thanks for the help!

I was on skype all morning talking to the supplier. Turns out its the TPLINK.
The unit is now hashing through usb with cgminer while I wait for a new router.

Getting 105~108Gh/s @ 890~900watt - 56º C
legendary
Activity: 1112
September 13, 2013, 08:18:35 AM
Avalon boots up (i think), I can see that yellow and green light on the "back". I also see a blue led inside but it does not blink.

I think it only blinks if you hold down the reset button to do a full software reset

I've setup my computer to a static ip (192.168.1.101/255.255.255.0).

Tried both types of cables and even a hub between. The connection show no activity (no blinking leds on the lan port).

If you plug in a cable, do you see the link-state LED come on? Easiest to see on the hub I guess
Activity: 267
September 13, 2013, 04:35:22 AM
Avalon boots up (i think), I can see that yellow and green light on the "back". I also see a blue led inside but it does not blink.

I've setup my computer to a static ip (192.168.1.101/255.255.255.0).

Tried both types of cables and even a hub between. The connection show no activity (no blinking leds on the lan port).
Pages:
Jump to: