Pages:
Author

Topic: Be safe: READ THIS BEFORE TRADING/BUYING/USING YOUR MONEY - page 24. (Read 295666 times)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500
I disagree with a few of the points.

0. Newbies, NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH OTHER NEWBIES, EVER. There are plenty of veteran members to do business with and ALWAYS use escrow. If you're a newbie and you're doing business with another newbie, there's a 100% chance that you will get scammed (or you're a scammer yourself). I can not stress this enough.. just work with people who have been here at least a year.

100%? NEVER? I trade with newbies all the time. This is a ridiculous stereotype of members here. This is just retarded.

1. New account (usually created within the last 3 months, plus or minus)

No, this correlated with my response to 0.

3. Use of a seemingly realistic first/last name as their forum account name

Look at my name. My username is my First name. Have I ever scammed anyone? No. I use a combination of my First and Last name on some forums. Ridiculous.

4. Signs posts with full name

--Simran Singh

8. Any user blatantly claiming to be female

Oh, yeah, cause females don't exist on the internet. Sexist? Probably not, but this is not true.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
legendary
Activity: 1455
Merit: 1033
Nothing like healthy scepticism and hard evidence
Post it here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=83.0
Present evidence of your transfer to him, like the transfer id and, if possible, a scan of a message from him stating his address to where you sent the transfer.
xqr
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
Is there an actively maintained scammer list anywhere? Would like to add the name "crymo" (https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/crymo-111941) to it.

Ripped me off for 500 YAC/0.25 BTC
Activity: 770
Merit: 502
3) Be very suspicious about proposals well under market price or if he accepts your proposal under market price with no negotiation.

This is another reason bitcointalk.org should have an appraisals section created.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1989926

legendary
Activity: 1455
Merit: 1033
Nothing like healthy scepticism and hard evidence
1) Don't just trust the status of a member, anyone can be a hero member. This just means that he invested some time on his membership. He can always decide that a profitable scam will be a good payment for his time. However, a Hero account without negative feedback can be sold for more than 0.5 btcs. Therefore, he probably won't scam you for less than that, because a negative feedback from you would lower its value substantially.
2) Never deal with anyone without doing a search in the forum with his nickname, in order to check if he has scam accusations.
3) Ask for his coin address and always search it on http://blockchain.info, www.cryptocoinexplorer.com or other similar site, to verify if his address has the amounts he wants to sell.
4) Be very suspicious about proposals well under market price or if he accepts your proposal under market price with no negotiation.
5) Look for the reputation/trust of the member, checking also his successful trades, in the form of vouches from the other party on the deal. Be aware that positive trust can be forged by making and using more bitcointalk accounts and the trust system can be more or less avoided by changing its settings.
6) Even if he has some reputation, never send all the money in one transfer: send one first small tranche (ex. 0.05 btc) and wait for his payment. Send a second little higher tranche and wait again, etc. Small increments, because he might decide to pay you the first and second, to scam a bigger tranche. Always suspect if he doesn't accept to trade in small tranches, unless he has an excellent reputation.
7) If he has no reputation (specially if he is a newbie or Jr.), even small tranches are very risky. Better use an escrow system, like the one of www.btcrow.com, or a trusted member, or you might need to send more than 10 very small tranches. Think well before sending more than 0.15 btcs (it's considerable money in some countries) and only after 3 or 4 successful payments of 0.05 and 0.1 btcs.
8] For big amounts use an escrow system, unless the member has an excellent reputation. If he doesn't accept, forget the deal. Always protect your capital.
9) Only trade codes (ex. of virtual gift cards) with members with a very good reputation or using a very trusted escrow member that will have to go to the account and apply the code himself. The buyer will have to give the escrow person his password and change it again after. With an automatic escrow system, the buyer can claim falsely that the code was already redeemed when he received it or that his account was blocked after.
10) Don't sell any cryptocoin to paypal or other reversible system, unless the buyer has good reputation. The buyer can chargeback and, since it's against paypal's TOS to trade currency, paypal usually gives your money back to the buyer.

Here is a list of escrow members: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/escrow-list-108716
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Never trust provided TXIDs on new altcoins without block explorer. Better just wait to see the coins in your wallet and fully confirmed. Some people try to send manufactured TXIDs/screenshots to "proof" they made a payment.
legendary
Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010
excellent information and advice... amazing list well done for ur hard work... hope u were not scammed!!
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000
Another sign: when you are a reputable member like me, and when you ask the noob to send first and suddenly they stop replying to your PM. Scammer! Maybe I should start a list in the public interest?

Latest possible scammer(s):

- penetration -> confirmed scammer has scammed multiple people

EDIT: I have decided I will keep this list updated and maintained. (and of course remove people who later turn out not to be scammers - but if they are genuinely looking for a trade and have only about 100 posts why would they not send first to someone like me? Hopefully I can help everyone here)
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Thanks for the information
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222
brb keeping up with the Kardashians
Alright, so I've been PM'd by a few people what red-flags to look out for since I have a pretty good track record of spotting scammers. Sometimes I get it wrong, but better safe than sorry.  Here's a couple rules to follow to avoid becoming a victim:

1. Newbies, NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH OTHER NEWBIES, EVER. There are plenty of veteran members to do business with and ALWAYS use escrow. If you're a newbie and you're doing business with another newbie, there's nearly a 100% chance that one of the parties is a scammer. I can not stress this enough.. just work with people who have been here at least a year.
2. Always use escrow.
3. See rule #2.
Pages:
Jump to: