Pages:
Author

Topic: Best/worst places to be in the United States once the USD plummets? - page 4. (Read 4656 times)

legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
.......I hope my family friends and I remain lucky enough to have enough fruits and plants to eat and to never be poor/hungry enough to be forced to eat many animal proteins.  But when we are forced or gifted, we'll of course be thankful for any sustenance.             
I agree with you completely.  I'll do the animal protein thing, thanks for the dogs.

Smiley
Activity: 199
Merit: 100
If you have fish and vegetables (greenhouse aquaponics), I suspect people will be throwing corn and wheat at you for a chance at some trade.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
Check out Freight Farms
http://freightfarms.com/

A farm in a freight container.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
Hmm. I wonder what food it would be more beneficial to plant in a limited space garden... what sort of garden would be the most nutritionally complete, and how much space would be required per person?

I might do some research on that.

Since you mentioned 'getting some fish', check out greenhouse aquaponics.
I was thinking along those lines, but I've heard those systems can be difficult to set up and delicate to maintain.

Maybe once the twins have outgrown their "high-speed wrecking ball" stage.
Activity: 199
Merit: 100
Hmm. I wonder what food it would be more beneficial to plant in a limited space garden... what sort of garden would be the most nutritionally complete, and how much space would be required per person?

Since you mentioned 'getting some fish', check out greenhouse aquaponics.

legendary
Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008
If you're careful, and lucky, your back yard can grow enough wheat to feed you. A couple of window gardens with herbs, and maybe an indoor grow room for tomatoes, and you'll be doing OK. Not a very varied diet, but mostly nutritionally complete, if you can get some fish.

Why would you want fish? 
Protein, mostly. A couple of essential vitamins/oils and such. Take up less space than a cow, too.

Keep in mind this is just off the top of my head, I haven't done a lot of research on what, exactly, you would need to have, but just spit-balling: bread for calories, herbs for flavor and vitamins, tomatoes for the all-important vitamin C, and fish for protein and other vitamins. I'm no nutritionist, but that seems fairly complete to me, if boring.

Thanks, my apologies for off topic post and bring up nutrition which seems a science in its infancy with little we can say here productively.  Personally I hope my family friends and I remain lucky enough to have enough fruits and plants to eat and to never be poor/hungry enough to be forced to eat many animal proteins.  But when we are forced or gifted, we'll of course be thankful for any sustenance.             
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas

Ya, I think about that image...

Luckily I work at an airport and there are commercial airlines here...money would talk.

Otherwise I am screwed.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250

A good start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_foot_gardening
I am not sure if being here with the military in Afghanistan is the best place to be. They would likely pull the troops back to "secure" things back home. They would likely not care about protecting things over here anymore leaving us vulnerable.

legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
As for the best place...

I am not sure if being here with the military in Afghanistan is the best place to be. They would likely pull the troops back to "secure" things back home. They would likely not care about protecting things over here anymore leaving us vulnerable.

But the government will pour money into protecting themselves before anything else so being in front of that fire hose will help me financially as long as I continue to just convert my paychecks to bitcoins.

But when I get back to the US I am looking at three options. BlueSeed, New Hampshire or going mobile.
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
I see no compelling reason to believe that the dollar is "inevitably" going to plummet in the next decade.

The May 28 Daily Treasury Statement shows that the US Treasury has an operating cash balance of ~$16 billion which is roughly one day's average cash outlay of about $17 billion. That same statement showed that we are $25 Million shy of the new debt ceiling.

Since the onset of Expanded QE3, the Fed has monetized 73% of Net Public Treasury Debt Issuance, should hit 100% by Mid-July if it continues at this pace, as the Fed has indicated it will continue into the summer.

The US government can't control foreign holders of US IOUs (US Treasury Bonds) who have a growing perception they will never be paid back on the trillions of dollars of debt owed them. Foreign holders of US Treasury bills can sell them off at a loss to others.

The amount those T-bonds are discounted is the amount the US dollar will be valued at in the world marketplace. At that point, the US faces a default on its obligations to pay back lenders.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
America, land of the free
I see no compelling reason to believe that the dollar is "inevitably" going to plummet in the next decade.
Since this is gonna inevitably happen in the next decade
Yeah, I don't think this is true at all.
Says the obvious government troll.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
America, land of the free
Since this is gonna inevitably happen in the next decade

Yeah, I don't think this is true at all. I think I'll just stay where I am and not worry about Doomsday Prepping.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004
The less red, the better.

In most of those areas, less red means less water, which means no food.

I'll take the difficulties of dealing with obtaining water over the difficulties of dealing with hungry mobs.

You start with your own supply of water and food in a remote place to outlast most, then you can go in six months to a lot more places with water later.  Having six months of food supply is not too hard, having six months of water is tougher unless you have a well.
If you're careful, and lucky, your back yard can grow enough wheat to feed you. A couple of window gardens with herbs, and maybe an indoor grow room for tomatoes, and you'll be doing OK. Not a very varied diet, but mostly nutritionally complete, if you can get some fish.

Why would you want fish? 
Protein, mostly. A couple of essential vitamins/oils and such. Take up less space than a cow, too.

Keep in mind this is just off the top of my head, I haven't done a lot of research on what, exactly, you would need to have, but just spit-balling: bread for calories, herbs for flavor and vitamins, tomatoes for the all-important vitamin C, and fish for protein and other vitamins. I'm no nutritionist, but that seems fairly complete to me, if boring.
legendary
Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

Why would you want fish? 
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386

For the average person, someone hardworking and careful, I would figure three crop cycles (basically three years) of part time work to get decent production from a garden.  In some cases, longer.  For some areas and for some people, never.  There are massive amounts of "lore" and technique involved.

Anyone who wants to have some fun with gardening and learn from it, try grapes or strawberries.
Activity: 798
Time is on our side, yes it is!
In my Bunker on my private heavily fortified island  Cool
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
The less red, the better.

In most of those areas, less red means less water, which means no food.

My answer is 'as far from a Federal Reserve district bank as practical'.

Pages:
Jump to: