Pages:
Author

Topic: [Beta] @mention notification bot open for testing - now with Telegram - page 24. (Read 37669 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 173
You can try the new notification system, in order to use it send a pm to Maggiordomo by placing in the subject subscribe and in the body a link to a thread you created (preferably in a place out of the way, Off topic perhaps), this will be used to receive your notifications. You will receive a message confirming you are signed up and some basic information.
When somebody will type @yourUsername or @your=Username (if you have spaces in your username, they need to be replaced with = ) you will get one or more notifications in your thread.
A great innovative idea as usual by @Piggy. But don't you think people will clog the Off-topic board by creating many threads as you suggested for receiving notifications and what would happen if people are not limiting those threads to the Off-topic boards? Someone can say Off-topic board is already filled with shit, but that's not an excuse for us to create more threads filled only with notifications. I have checked few of the tested posts and it redirects to the bounty reports which is useless. If we can get a notification for our social media account (how about for Telegram account which can be created for this notification only) would be great rather creating separate threads even in Off-topic board.

Can we use this bot to check the plagiarism post?

Restrictions and customizations (to be implemented):
  • A minimum amount of merits received is going to be necessary to use it, perhaps 5/10

These simple rules hopefully will be enough to discourage people from using in ways were not intended.
It is great to see that you put restrictions. However, I don't think 5/10 Merits would be enough and those Merits should be "Earned Merits"
Activity: 294
Merit: 15
i'm just a bot
Here is a list of the users registered to receive notifications:
@Micio, @Makkara, @LoyceV, @iasenko, @coinlocket$, @PolyPanto, @DdmrDdmr, @Initscri, @Piggy, @babo, @sapta
Activity: 784
Merit: 1416

Short version:
You can try the new notification system, in order to use it send a pm to Maggiordomo by placing in the subject subscribe and in the body a link to a thread you created (preferably in a place out of the way, Off topic perhaps), this will be used to notify about you being mentioned or quoted across all the forum. You will receive a message confirming you are signed up and some basic information.
When somebody will type @yourUsername or @your=Username (if you have spaces in your username, they need to be replaced with = ) you will get one or more notifications in your thread.

Read the commands section to know what else you can do.
Read the telegram section to know how to get the notifications right on telegram.

Long version:
I have been working and experimenting with a bot i coded which will ultimately could help to extend the functionality of the forum and provide public services, to start, one of the primary aim is to notify users about somebody mentioning them in a thread, using the known @username notation.
This part is almost completed and usable, even though is not well tested yet. I had few users in the Italian section using it and i was able to collect some feedback and fix some of the emerging issues.

Now i would need more people to use it and see if everything holds and what needs to be changed/fixed in order for it to work better.

How the notification works:
Once you are properly set up with the bot and somebody include in his message:
  • @YourUsername or @Your=Username in case you have spaces in your username (the = can be changed later on if there is any better character not allowed in the username to fill the gap)
  • new: Quote directly one of your messages
  • new: Mention you by your plain username (without @)

You will be notified by the user Maggiordomo, receiving one or more links/short quote to the post where you were mentioned.

These notification are going to be customizable and an option to turn them on/off will be introduced.

If you are not registered, anybody interacting with you will have no effect.

How to interact with the bot and what you can do:
Before to be able to receive notification you need to create your own thread (better if self moderated and in a board where is not going to be in the way, Off topic perhaps): , this will be used to notify about you being mentioned or quoted across all the forum. This choice was made because the PM could be too invasive and the amount you can send per day is quite limited. On the other hand a thread can provide you with more control over what is happening there.

Commands:
  • To register: send a PM to the user Maggiordomo with the subject: subscribe and a link to your thread in the body. You will receive a message in that thread confirming you are signed up and some basic information.
  • To unsubscribe from receiving notification: send a PM to the user Maggiordomo with the subject unsubscribe and something random in the body to be allowed to send it

NEW:
Through a PM while placing in the subject subscribe if you subscribing, or  options if you are already subscribed you can now specify other settings in the body of the message, like this:

Code:
alias:your_alias
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=00000000
tagusername:on
quote:off
plainusername:on
notifyby:both

in order are:
Alias is another name you can use to get notified when somebody mention it, both with @ or without (based on the settings below)
The notification thread if you want to change it
Tagusername, activates/deactivates notification while being mentioned using @ like @username
Quote, activates/deactivates notification while being quoted
Plainusername,  activates/deactivates notification while your username is being mentioned (without using the @)
notifyby,  allow you to decide how/where to receive the notifications (forum telegram or both)

If none of these options are specified the alias i disabled and the notifications are all on by default.

You can have an alias set and you will get a notification based on your preferences, if there is no other user already registered having that username. Otherwise you won't be notified.

NEW
Telegram notification added(need some testing to make sure everything works)

For who is already registered just send a pm with options in the subject of the bot and add in the body:

Code:
telegram:yourTelegramUsername

Before or after you have done this you need to contact @Maggiordomo_Service_bot on telegram with the same telegram username used for registering and just write something to him so he can bind your telegram and forum account togheter.

If you are not subscribed yet send a pm with subscribe in the subject to the bot and add in the body:
Code:
or
Code:
linkToYourThread
if you want to receive the notifications on both.

A list of subscribed users accepting notification will be kept updated automatically in this post: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.45324744

Notes:
If you try to use a thread created by somebody else it won't work, the subscriber must be the owner/creator of the thread.
If you quote a message with @SomeUsername this won’t trigger a notification to that user.
You can send multiple notification with the same message: @user1 @user2 @user3 ...

Keep in mind the bot use a jr member account, which has a cooldown limitation between one post and the other, about ~8 seconds, so don’t expect to receive your notification instantly, but if you have more than one notification pending they will be delivered all at once.

Restrictions and customizations (to be implemented):
  • The notification thread cannot be a thread like announcement or bounty and cannot be used to with the purpose of bumping a thread.
  • A minimum amount of merits received is going to be necessary to use it, perhaps 5/10

These simple rules hopefully will be enough to discourage people from using in ways were not intended.

Uses:
  • to save a thread or comment you want to get back to
  • signal a post which should me merited (not your own possibly)
  • bring somebody attention to a thread for whatever reason

Disclaimer:
I'm not keeping the bot on all the times since i'm still developing it, making changes and fixes. It could happen that while the bot is off you will miss some of your notifications or you will have to wait some time to receive them.
I will try to leave a notice in top of this thread for the hours i plan to leave the bot on, in any case consider that at the moment is purely for testing.

You can report any problem, issue or feedback in here.
Pages:
Jump to: