Pages:
Author

Topic: BEWARE of FAKE CASASCIUS COINS - page 5. (Read 25316 times)

legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 3002
February 04, 2020, 11:00:01 PM
Was on the fence with this one, but MinerJones suggested I place it here..

legendary
January 14, 2020, 12:53:56 AM
Another

legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008
Welt Am Draht
December 17, 2019, 09:50:43 AM
This was done to the Sol Noctis coins in 2016...  there were "replicas" made with a different date than the original coin.
I would still consider these "fakes"  and yes.. the intention is to deceive people... why else would you make them?

It's a con. It's not a dedicated counterfeit which is what people should be most vigilant about. As soon as one of those pops up and it's good enough that's going to have a major effect on the viability of real ones.

Stuff like this is sad and annoying but it can be shrugged off.
legendary
Welt Am Draht
December 17, 2019, 09:30:23 AM
So 20 bucks worth of silver and no actual photos. That's a deal right there.

I still don't class this as a fake myself. It's a replica/rip off. It's not attempting to be a full on counterfeit/deception.
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 3238
The Stone the masons rejected was the cornerstone.
December 17, 2019, 09:17:34 AM
I would consider this "maker" to be added to the list....
Making replica Casascius Bitcoin Coins w/ a new date is the same as the "2016" Sol Noctis fakes... lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bitcoin/283712961133

Activity: 1211
Merit: 135
Krogothmanhattan alt account
December 17, 2019, 09:16:24 AM
I would consider this "maker" to be added to the list....
Making replica Casascius Bitcoin Coins w/ a new date is the same as the "2016" Sol Noctis fakes... lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bitcoin/283712961133

legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 1752
April 07, 2019, 03:35:19 PM
Hey guys, been in the crypto scene since 2013, but I am a first time prospective Casascius owner. Looking to get my first error coin: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wts-casascius-2011-error-anacs-graded-ms-62-134b-5127692

It SEEMS legit, but I had some concerns about the textured background and the N in Vires In Numeris (I can't really tell from the pictures).

The seller is a newbie too. Any (other) red flags?

It would be nice to have an angled shot of the front as usually the text on the knock offs sticks out a lot more. The N and the U look a bit melded and the texture is not quite right either but it looks like a seriously worn out coin which might account for that.

You should ask for photos with better light and from other angles.

minerjones has verified that it looks legit. I will see if I can get some higher definition images though first.

For what it's worth it looks real to me but has some wear/circulation damage.  I agree with gentelmand some angled photos of the obverse would be helpful.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
April 07, 2019, 03:03:08 PM
Hey guys, been in the crypto scene since 2013, but I am a first time prospective Casascius owner. Looking to get my first error coin: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wts-casascius-2011-error-anacs-graded-ms-62-134b-5127692

It SEEMS legit, but I had some concerns about the textured background and the N in Vires In Numeris (I can't really tell from the pictures).

It would be nice to have an angled shot of the front as usually the text on the knock offs sticks out a lot more. The N and the U look a bit melded and the texture is not quite right either but it looks like a seriously worn out coin which might account for that.

minerjones has verified that it looks legit. I will see if I can get some higher definition images though first.
legendary
Welt Am Draht
April 07, 2019, 02:56:51 PM

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1242
April 07, 2019, 02:54:59 PM

Just use escrow.

edit:  and verify.  Wink
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
April 07, 2019, 02:52:18 PM

legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 1406
March 21, 2019, 11:10:15 AM
That background pattern is difficult for them currently I've always looked for that first.  Scammers into everything now days

As the amount of value increases so does the amount of people out there looking to rip these off.  Always need to stay vigilant regardless  as with any collectable
Activity: 845
Merit: 267
March 20, 2019, 04:01:20 PM
That background pattern is difficult for them currently I've always looked for that first.  Scammers into everything now days
legendary
March 17, 2019, 05:15:50 PM
Aye...i am sure i did..gotta find the name again.
legendary
March 17, 2019, 05:05:04 PM
IMHO I'd argue there's less than 100-150 people on this planet who can identify a Casascius "tribute" from the real deal with ease.

The one with the hologram has a hologram that in no way resembles a real one. The others have engraving on the back instead of a hologram. That's two seconds of googling. I've never seen one of these attempting to pass itself off as a real one. They quite often have Casascius in the ad titles, but they also have 'souvenir' or 'commemorative' and they never cost more than $5-10.

One day one of them will. Not yet.

I have seen multiple fakes sold, and for much more than $5-10.  So have other experts here.  Mike Caldwell didn't make every coin the same, nor did he do so with his holograms (also that hologram absolutely resembles a Casascius).  Casascius.com is not a good resource for this info, nor is it a simple task for newbies to figure out everything Mike made over the years in a few seconds.  Mike also didn't load all of his coins.  He released a good amount of DIY coins, and not just the cheap aluminum ones, that didn't come with holograms.  These coins sell for good money even without being loaded/having a hologram. You seem to be missing that point.  Again, this is in large part for the newbies.

I have seen ebay sellers place a photo of a real Casascius coin and when they ship they send a fake Casascius. It happened to me last year. If not for the trained eye, newbies can easily get fooled.

What is posted on this thread is to help any collector of what is out there. Be they good forgeries or bad, the more we post on what is out there, the stronger we are in educating everyone who visits this thread.

I thankyou both for your inputs, it helps seeing it from both sides of the fence so top speak.

Dam that's a sheisty move.  I am going to assume ebay gave you your money back?  Bait and switch  Undecided

I messaged the guy and basically told him he pulled a bait and switch. Once he gave me my money plus shipping expenses i sent item to him in canada..i reported him to ebay. I was told he was a member on this forum too. Scum

Who is it?  Have they been properly negged?  Last thing we need is fakes in the wild. 
legendary
March 17, 2019, 04:16:36 PM
IMHO I'd argue there's less than 100-150 people on this planet who can identify a Casascius "tribute" from the real deal with ease.

The one with the hologram has a hologram that in no way resembles a real one. The others have engraving on the back instead of a hologram. That's two seconds of googling. I've never seen one of these attempting to pass itself off as a real one. They quite often have Casascius in the ad titles, but they also have 'souvenir' or 'commemorative' and they never cost more than $5-10.

I have seen multiple fakes sold, and for much more than $5-10.  So have other experts here.  Mike Caldwell didn't make every coin the same, nor did he do so with his holograms (also that hologram absolutely resembles a Casascius).  Casascius.com is not a good resource for this info, nor is it a simple task for newbies to figure out everything Mike made over the years in a few seconds.  Mike also didn't load all of his coins.  He released a good amount of DIY coins, and not just the cheap aluminum ones, that didn't come with holograms.  These coins sell for good money even without being loaded/having a hologram. You seem to be missing that point.  Again, this is in large part for the newbies.

I have seen ebay sellers place a photo of a real Casascius coin and when they ship they send a fake Casascius. It happened to me last year. If not for the trained eye, newbies can easily get fooled.

What is posted on this thread is to help any collector of what is out there. Be they good forgeries or bad, the more we post on what is out there, the stronger we are in educating everyone who visits this thread.

I thankyou both for your inputs, it helps seeing it from both sides of the fence so top speak.

Dam that's a sheisty move.  I am going to assume ebay gave you your money back?  Bait and switch  Undecided

I messaged the guy and basically told him he pulled a bait and switch. Once he gave me my money plus shipping expenses i sent item to him in canada..i reported him to ebay. I was told he was a member on this forum too. Scum
legendary
March 17, 2019, 02:31:08 PM

legendary
March 17, 2019, 02:06:48 PM
Well said Krogo
Here’s an  example of a btalk forum member being fooled back in 2014 -
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wts-fake-2011-1-bitcoin-casascius-redeemed-only-1-btc-465242
legendary
March 16, 2019, 07:52:52 AM

legendary
March 16, 2019, 07:10:31 AM

Pages:
Jump to: