Pages:
Author

Topic: BEWARE of FAKE CASASCIUS COINS - page 6. (Read 25316 times)

legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008
Welt Am Draht
March 16, 2019, 06:39:02 AM
IMHO I'd argue there's less than 100-150 people on this planet who can identify a Casascius "tribute" from the real deal with ease.

The one with the hologram has a hologram that in no way resembles a real one. The others have engraving on the back instead of a hologram. That's two seconds of googling. I've never seen one of these attempting to pass itself off as a real one. They quite often have Casascius in the ad titles, but they also have 'souvenir' or 'commemorative' and they never cost more than $5-10.

One day one of them will. Not yet.
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 3002
March 16, 2019, 06:33:24 AM
I would call all of them tributes or ripoffs, not forgeries or fakes. There's no concerted attempt to be indistinguishable from an original. They're all clearly nothing like the real deal.

Sure maybe to the trained eye, but this sector of coin collecting is not well known by the general public, and that's what this thread is mainly for (this thread is also pasted on Uberbills where many non-experts visit).  I also disagree that none of them are meant as an attempt to fool a buyer.  Let's say for the sake of argument none of them were meant to be fakes to fool their customers, but the customers that do buy them might try and attempt to sell them as real Casascius coins to an unsuspecting third party. IMHO I'd argue there's less than 100-150 people on this planet who can identify a Casascius "tribute" from the real deal with ease.
legendary
Welt Am Draht
March 16, 2019, 06:06:40 AM
I would call all of them tributes or ripoffs, not forgeries or fakes. There's no concerted attempt to be indistinguishable from an original. They're all clearly nothing like the real deal.
Activity: 1974
Merit: 856
January 12, 2019, 04:13:43 AM

These holograms were made years ago...

If the toning color of the faked casascius is made closer to the real one it will fool most people who are not into the daily dealing of our crypto passion.

So yes...most seasoned collectors in here will be able to distinguish between the two but newbies entering the market can easily be fooled.
Thanks for posting those, I hadn't seen them. They are of similar quality than the other fakes. Of course newbies can easily be fooled, this is the case for any collectibles....
The trouble starts when experienced users or experts have difficulty to call out fakes. The problem won't get smaller or go away in the future, that's for sure...
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 3238
The Stone the masons rejected was the cornerstone.
January 05, 2019, 01:54:50 PM
I think some people in these forums could do better job at grading too, as sometimes at least ANACS places some very incoherent or even totally off grades on crypto collectibles.

I don't really trust their ratings either...not since they graded Satori chips! I look at the coin and determine its quality..not some stamp from Anacs.

They also graded this FAKE SOL NOCTIS without indicating its a fake! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3315347.0;all
legendary
January 05, 2019, 01:48:30 PM
one other tech that scammers could use (I hope I'm not giving them bad idea) is to provide pic of a legit coin, and send the fake coin :/ Noob like me would rely on online certification, but definitely not enough  Smiley
Unfortunately the coin is not close to me, but when i got it back I will provide some of my own pics Cheesy

Anyway this community is strong enough I believe that as long u make a trade here, you are fine.

Never say never...and read further up as the bait and switch happened to me on ebay  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.49060240
Activity: 114
Merit: 2
January 05, 2019, 01:47:10 PM
one other tech that scammers could use (I hope I'm not giving them bad idea) is to provide pic of a legit coin, and send the fake coin :/ Noob like me would rely on online certification, but definitely not enough  Smiley
Unfortunately the coin is not close to me, but when i got it back I will provide some of my own pics Cheesy

Anyway this community is strong enough I believe that as long u make a trade here, you are fine.
January 05, 2019, 01:42:15 PM
so I guess I'm fine I've forgot that MJ was the escrow. I guess he would be able to see a fake it was this auction:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/auction-2012-casascius-1-btc-physical-brass-coin-1933101

(yes I've lose my oldest account Sad)

2012 Casascius?  It looks genuine to me mate..cheers  Cheesy

good to hear. Cheers, it's sad that fake coin exist, but I'm scared about this problem becoming really huge for casascius, I hope the community can find a decent solution, maybe a blockchain based one. Why not grade them all, and put an "unique" chip on the graded plastic, with anchored proof of authencity on the bitcoin blockchain? Chip could own the PK that made the anchor or something like that

Obviously its not easy tech, but there is not so many coin especially very valuable ones
legendary
January 05, 2019, 01:37:24 PM
so I guess I'm fine I've forgot that MJ was the escrow. I guess he would be able to see a fake it was this auction:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/auction-2012-casascius-1-btc-physical-brass-coin-1933101

2012 Casascius?  It looks genuine to me mate..cheers  Cheesy

January 05, 2019, 01:35:18 PM

legendary
Activity: 1511
Merit: 1072
quack
January 05, 2019, 01:32:14 PM
one quick question having a coin graded prevent 100% of fake right?

You need to have a legitimate coin to compare with. Grading prevents nothing, and a bad actor may even have graded fakes to make it less suspicious. Obvious fakes can be spotted by the community (if you present some pics), though.

When MJ submitted his he told them it was a fake IIRC.

There are people in this forum who can do a better job at authenticating coins in our hobby than them for sure.

Correct for both. I think some people in these forums could do better job at grading too, as sometimes at least ANACS places some very incoherent or even totally off grades on crypto collectibles.
legendary
January 05, 2019, 01:28:59 PM

I've only one coin non graded and I'm a bit suspicious It can be a fake, because it's not and it's in relatively bad shape  Grin

I would've thought their job is solely to put a wee score on the lump of metal placed in front of them. I presume grading and authentication are totally different areas and not a problem the average grader is looking to take on. Could be massively wrong though.

I think you are right I do not think they authenticate if the coin or token is genuine or not.

When MJ submitted his he told them it was a fake IIRC.

There are people in this forum who can do a better job at authenticating coins in our hobby than them for sure.

Edit>>>  They graded a FAKE Sol Noctis here as genuine https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3315347.0;all
legendary
January 05, 2019, 01:28:12 PM

I've only one coin non graded and I'm a bit suspicious It can be a fake, because it's not and it's in relatively bad shape  Grin

Can you please post a good photo of the coin in question? Front and back and blank out the first bits.
legendary
Welt Am Draht
January 05, 2019, 01:26:41 PM

I've only one coin non graded and I'm a bit suspicious It can be a fake, because it's not and it's in relatively bad shape  Grin

I would've thought their job is solely to put a wee score on the lump of metal placed in front of them. I presume grading and authentication are totally different areas and not a problem the average grader is looking to take on. Could be massively wrong though.
January 05, 2019, 01:23:40 PM

I've only one coin non graded and I'm a bit suspicious It can be a fake, because it's not and it's in relatively bad shape  Grin
legendary
Welt Am Draht
January 05, 2019, 08:54:18 AM
It was clear that better fakes will show up. The pics I have seen in this thread don't scare me (yet). As long as the coins can be relatively easy distinguished from real ones by eye all is good. A more difficult thing to fake would be the hologram anyway.
Any fake holograms spotted in the wild yet?

The existing ones seem to largely be cheerful ripoffs, not dedicated fakes. I'm sure if someone put their mind to it we'd wind up with something truly convincing.

Mike Caldwell started off selling car wash tokens with stickers on them, albeit fancy ish stickers. He couldn't have known what was to come. I wonder what he would've done differently if he did.
legendary
January 05, 2019, 07:31:53 AM
It was clear that better fakes will show up. The pics I have seen in this thread don't scare me (yet). As long as the coins can be relatively easy distinguished from real ones by eye all is good. A more difficult thing to fake would be the hologram anyway.

These holograms were made years ago...

If the toning color of the faked casascius is made closer to the real one it will fool most people who are not into the daily dealing of our crypto passion.

So yes...most seasoned collectors in here will be able to distinguish between the two but newbies entering the market can easily be fooled.

One experience I had first hand is an ebay member posting the REAL redeemed Casascius 2011 coins on ebay and then he sent me the fake ones! Classic bait and switch!

Of course I got my money back once I called him out. But how many people did this unscrupulous seller dupe? Probably alot.

So if anyone has anything that is newly faked or forged it is imperative to post here or in my other thread https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/info-breached-or-scam-coin-makers-list-3315347 for everyone to see in this forum and also for people outside of here to find when doing a google search.
Activity: 1974
Merit: 856
January 05, 2019, 06:22:20 AM
Activity: 84
Merit: 1
January 01, 2019, 02:37:29 PM
oh wow this is nuts, thanks for the heads up, I wanted to buy some soon didn't know they sold fake ones.
Pages:
Jump to: