Pages:
Author

Topic: BEWARE of FAKE CASASCIUS COINS - page 7. (Read 25316 times)

legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 1752
January 01, 2019, 02:19:49 PM
In numismatics, people actually collect forgeries... there are folks who have fake morgan dollar collections, graded by pcgs as fakes... i’ve seen one of these sets at a coin conference and the price tag was insane...

I suspect, people will want to collect crypto fakes, but it would be a tiny number of collectors interested in them

It also applies in philately....forgeries...fakes and counterfeits are also collectables. Especially items that fooled the postal system in thinking they were genuine in other words postally used fakes. Sperati was the most famous and incredibly good at making realistic fakes.

Same in ancient coins. They are called barbarian silver.  I had a counterfeit/barbarian Celtic version of a Roman coin. The counterfeit was produced around 140 BC and when I sold it was worth over 1000 usd. 
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 3238
The Stone the masons rejected was the cornerstone.
January 01, 2019, 12:45:50 PM
In numismatics, people actually collect forgeries... there are folks who have fake morgan dollar collections, graded by pcgs as fakes... i’ve seen one of these sets at a coin conference and the price tag was insane...

I suspect, people will want to collect crypto fakes, but it would be a tiny number of collectors interested in them

It also applies in philately....forgeries...fakes and counterfeits are also collectables. Especially items that fooled the postal system in thinking they were genuine in other words postally used fakes. Sperati was the most famous and incredibly good at making realistic fakes.
donator
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060
between a rock and a block!
January 01, 2019, 12:26:10 PM

copper member
Activity: 217
Merit: 37
HODLer of last resort
December 26, 2018, 11:06:34 AM
A fake Casascius going thru ICG ..courtesy of MinerJones

Thanks for posting this Krogo!!
legendary
Activity: 1809
Merit: 1136
December 25, 2018, 04:09:44 PM
WTB one of these lemons, if available.  Tongue (Just for personal collection)
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008
Welt Am Draht
December 24, 2018, 11:41:34 AM

Presumably he told that it was fake rather than them deciding? I doubt they know their arse from their elbow.

It still looks too blocky and shiny to be a convincing clone.
legendary
December 24, 2018, 11:34:00 AM

legendary
April 28, 2018, 05:46:48 PM
I'll volunteer to authenticate coins. Genuines will be etched "FOOL" to clearly show dazedfool-verified legitimacy. Fake coins will be removed from circulation at no charge.  Grin

Very reasonable 1XMR processing fee per coin. Shipping at cost, both ways.

Now thats an idea....the fools shipping coins to a dazed fool to be fooled  Grin
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1222
Just looking for peace
April 28, 2018, 05:02:12 PM
I'll volunteer to authenticate coins. Genuines will be etched "FOOL" to clearly show dazedfool-verified legitimacy. Fake coins will be removed from circulation at no charge.  Grin

hahahah i like the idea of removing the fakes!

ANACS have to be 'FOOL' to not take your help with xmr ones Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1511
Merit: 1127
derp
April 28, 2018, 04:53:57 PM

legendary
Just looking for peace
April 28, 2018, 04:42:22 PM
Don't worry when the time comes for me to get rid of some of my coins you most certainly will be notified. I believe I will post a full list of what I own, once I get all of them graded.

hahah thanks!

and jungle slabs?  Sad Sad Sad

Unfortunately I wish I had done it before they change the color from yellow to Green but I figured it's best to do it now especially with certain coins being faked.

ANACS graded a fake Ebay bought Sol Noctis coin as if it was genuine.

These guys and the people who grade out there are not crypto coin experts.

We can do a better job in identifying the real ones from the fakes.

So a graded coin does not mean it is a real coin or that it has not had the holo peeled and then re attached.

I posted a photo of the Sol Noctis coin here https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/info-breached-or-scam-coin-makers-list-3315347

That sticker they slap on saying authenticated is hilarious!

they need to hire few of us to do that work Cheesy

Your 100% right on that sky!  We can do a better job than anyone outside the forum for sure!

Perhaps someone will open a service to grade just for us forum members...a forum member with high trust and years of trading cryptocoins..I can think of a few good people in here  Wink that can start something really good for the collecting community

yup!

so many trusted guys in here with such experience.
would be fun to have a inhouse grading system but would be too costly to setup just for the physical crypto and this community is not as big for the industry yet.
legendary
April 28, 2018, 12:03:43 PM
Don't worry when the time comes for me to get rid of some of my coins you most certainly will be notified. I believe I will post a full list of what I own, once I get all of them graded.

hahah thanks!

Unfortunately I wish I had done it before they change the color from yellow to Green but I figured it's best to do it now especially with certain coins being faked.

So a graded coin does not mean it is a real coin or that it has not had the holo peeled and then re attached.

I posted a photo of the Sol Noctis coin here https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/info-breached-or-scam-coin-makers-list-3315347

Your 100% right on that sky!  We can do a better job than anyone outside the forum for sure!

Perhaps someone will open a service to grade just for us forum members...a forum member with high trust and years of trading cryptocoins..I can think of a few good people in here  Wink that can start something really good for the collecting community
legendary
Just looking for peace
April 28, 2018, 08:42:16 AM

hahah thanks!

legendary
April 28, 2018, 06:56:16 AM

hahah thanks!

The fact they they slap a sticker on saying authenticated is hilarious!   Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 3002
April 28, 2018, 01:41:01 AM

hahah thanks!

that's the point man!
they don't know how to differentiate in original and fakes. A graded coin not necessarily means it's original. They also have stated that they are not liable of the content of the coin and just the physical condition iirc

Sky-Mall is correct about that. ANACS just wants money. They’ll grade anything. Besides these recent Casascius coins, nothing else has been faked even close to as well as those.  All easy spots. Your system is smart however, I try and save everything I can. I wouldn’t post it online though, as I’d be tempted to ask too   Cheesy
Activity: 177
Merit: 12
April 28, 2018, 01:37:05 AM

hahah thanks!

and jungle slabs?  Sad Sad Sad

that's the point man!
they don't know how to differentiate in original and fakes. A graded coin not necessarily means it's original. They also have stated that they are not liable of the content of the coin and just the physical condition iirc

True about the green slabs but again I have all the  provenance to backup any coin that I own. Also I have not bought any coins in well over a year, almost 2 years. I know this does not fully make somebody a ease if they decided to buy one of my coins but it certainly helps to show the lineage and time frames of when I purchased the coins.
legendary
Just looking for peace
April 28, 2018, 01:28:34 AM

hahah thanks!

that's the point man!
Activity: 177
Merit: 12
April 28, 2018, 01:13:33 AM

hahah thanks!

legendary
Just looking for peace
April 28, 2018, 01:07:36 AM

hahah thanks!

Pages:
Jump to: