Pages:
Author

Topic: BFL offers 1000 BTC back up on power claims - page 7. (Read 10305 times)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
October 19, 2012, 05:44:03 PM
Tom has also claimed to have a working prototype working so I would assume that their power estimates should be pretty concrete. But what do I know, I'm just a miner.

Prototypes are never accurate. I don't think an ASIC prototype would initially aim for power efficiency.
But yes, keep dreaming is strong words, but they appear to be based on BFL estimating via software.

I look forward to a charity receiving some $.

In fact I would like to nominate my home town, which I had to leave after we had some severe earthquakes that destroyed the city.

http://christchurchappealtrust.org.nz/
This charity was set up by the New Zealand Prime Minister.

Much of the CBD buildings lost there frontages. My home was fine, my parents lost theirs and had to live with me for 3 months. FEEL MY PAIN! Wink

There is a US-NZ tax free way to donate through the US.
http://www.americanfriendsofchristchurch.org/ways-to-give.html

The EQ destroyed the city, and liquefaction (due to city being built on a swamp..duh) destroyed the eastern suburbs. Most frightening thing ever in my life. I helped set up the temporary civil defence communications at my workplace during the quakes, but 5 months later I met a lady in another city (due to there being nothing to do in Chch anymore) and moved to be with her.

The CBD now looks like a vacant lot.
vip
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
AKA: gigavps
October 19, 2012, 05:24:45 PM
Also I'm not sure if Tom was trying to say Bfl was lying.

Let's take a look at exactly what Tom said.

But guess what? EITHER DO MY COMPETITORS!

Sure I can post a "simulated" or "estimated" power usage number - but its not going to be accurate. You really think BFL is going to give 1Gh/s per watt? keep dreaming.

I have bolded the part where Tom claims that BFL will not meet their power estimates.

Tom has also claimed to have a working prototype working so I would assume that their power estimates should be pretty concrete. But what do I know, I'm just a miner.

EDIT:

Here is the original quote of Tom saying he has a prototype. I don't want anyone thinking I'm making this stuff up.

The truth is it just takes time to have these kind of chips made, and then you still have to have the boards assembled. its a lengthy process. I am just happy we finally have a prototype that works that we can move forward with this is something that has been in the works for awhile.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
October 19, 2012, 05:18:56 PM
Yes, escrow.

Also I'm not sure if Tom was trying to say Bfl was lying. It was more that specs are not being released because software estimates can be way off. Eg Bfl single.

Subscribed anyway! Good cause is awesome. Great offer inaba. If Tom has the btc to spare he may accept regardless.
legendary
Activity: 952
October 19, 2012, 05:17:47 PM
Since Tom is refusing to actually make the bet he himself proposed between us
Tom offered a bet and you refused it.
"Shit, I just trolled myself out of 1,000BTC. How can I get them back?"
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
October 19, 2012, 05:15:47 PM
Since Tom is refusing to actually make the bet he himself proposed between us

Tom offered a bet and you refused it.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1722
October 19, 2012, 05:14:42 PM
As far as I understood the one who loses pays to the charity.

Inaba and Tom: don't forget to use escrow  Wink
legendary
Activity: 952
October 19, 2012, 05:07:42 PM
I'm confused. If the Single uses more than 66W, you pay 1000BTC to charity. If it does use less than 66W, then Tome (or someone else who enters the bet against you) pays 1000BTC to charity? Or do you pay to each other?
legendary
Activity: 1260
October 19, 2012, 05:04:56 PM
Since Tom is refusing to actually make the bet he himself proposed between us, I am offering up a guarantee of 1000 BTC to charity (I will take suggestions on which charity to donate this to) if BFL does not meet it's power claims within 10% - meaning if BFL's power consumption is more than 66w for a Single SC, we lose the "bet."

Now, I ask if Tom is willing to step up and back the winning side.  He is 100% confident that we will not meet our power claims (which is the genesis of the failed bet), and as such I ask that he pony up 1000 BTC to the same charity if we do make our power claims. 

So there it is:  Tom is confident that we won't make our power claims, I am confident that we will.  I am willing to put up 1000 BTC to show my confidence in BFL products.  Is Tom confident enough to do the same or is he just blowing hot air?

Pages:
Jump to: