Pages:
Author

Topic: BFL or Avalon - page 4. (Read 6189 times)

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Personal text my ass....
March 17, 2013, 02:08:31 PM
I can't reconcile the short term, because I'm a long term thinker, and on that basis I can only suggest BFL is the more sustainable choice.

Money where my mouth is, I bought two 60gh/s units in the past week.

Just this past week? I guess if you don't mind you may get back that $2666 or whatever it was in 12+months then you are good to go. I'm just guessing it will take one year to get your money back. I hope I'm wrong for you and it takes less.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
March 16, 2013, 12:14:08 PM
I can't reconcile the short term, because I'm a long term thinker, and on that basis I can only suggest BFL is the more sustainable choice.

Money where my mouth is, I bought two 60gh/s units in the past week.
legendary
Activity: 952
March 16, 2013, 01:03:05 AM
Activity: 217
Merit: 100
March 15, 2013, 07:00:09 PM
Probs with BFLs homepage, forum still works, maybe ddos?
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
March 14, 2013, 01:28:06 PM
Just noticed BFL's term of sale just became "All sales are final" (legal speak for no refunds!)
Activity: 490
March 14, 2013, 01:12:02 PM
I want BFL, less power but,..

BFL_Josh 03-12-2013, 09:04 PM
They just got the test board up and running properly tonight... they will start actual testing in the morning.
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/1300-when-bulk-first-75-wafers-will-delivered-bfl.html#post18275

..come on you tested it 2 days ago, give us some news on how it went, please!  Shocked
Activity: 1162
March 14, 2013, 04:36:23 AM
Nice... yeah, Josh does seem kind of a dick...  Guess I'll be waiting for batch 3....

It's quite simple: A shady company like BFL needs a shady COO like Josh/Inaba.

Lying and insulting others is OK for BFL/Josh - as long as it generates sales.

Read:

Activity: 924
March 14, 2013, 04:04:52 AM
One to market...

Seems like only one choice.
Activity: 434
March 14, 2013, 02:13:34 AM
LOL

The irony of Josh posting stories about rats. Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1260
March 14, 2013, 02:10:50 AM

By the way, my armchair for 15 years has looked over a Ph.D. in Engineering, and that chair is situated at Intel's packaging and assembly development division.

Just because I make wine, doesn't mean I'm an expert on Whiskey.  Especially whiskey that's still in it's bottle

Tongue

Let me see if I have your logic down here:

If I were to say to you 'Dude it looks like that whiskey bottle has a bunch of rat turds in it'

You'd respond: "What do you know about whiskey bottles, you've only been bottling wine for the best winemaker in the world for that last 15 years."

A more accurate analogy would be:

Entropy:  Your bottling looks like shit and there's a dead rat inside the bottle.  I know these things because I've been bottling for years and get paid $1000 a bottle.
Response: That's a rat printed on the label man... it's not a real rat, and it's not inside the bottle... Do you really get paid for bottling things when you can't even tell the difference between a printed rat on a label and a dead rat inside a bottle?

legendary
Activity: 1274
Personal text my ass....
March 14, 2013, 01:29:28 AM
It seems these are the only two players in the ASIC market at the moment... That being said, which one do you think will ship new orders first?

I'm considering getting one of these, but not sure which might actually get here in a sane ammount of time.. BFL says new orders will ship in June, but with them missing so many self-imposed dealines already, I'm considering going with avalon...

Comments? Thoughts? Open to all input...

Thanks

Avalon has already shipped. They have working units in the field at customer's homes right now. BFL is still in the paperwork phase I think and no one will see anything until winter holidays. At least 6 months.

Activity: 272
Cryptopreneur
March 13, 2013, 02:17:56 PM
It is more likely to give you a bad hangover.
Activity: 272
Cryptopreneur
March 13, 2013, 01:35:32 PM
The correct analogy is probably closer to Johnny Walker Blue Label compared to the basic Jack Daniels.
March 13, 2013, 01:34:00 PM
Nice... yeah, Josh does seem kind of a dick...

To put it mildly.

On another note, anyone know where to buy some descent FPGA boards at a good price? I'm desperate to get any kind of mining rig up and running

If you're so desperate to get anything up and running, then why not a GPU rig that can be converted to mining altcoins if/when you choose to purchase an ASIC mining gizmo down the road?
Activity: 46
Merit: 0
March 13, 2013, 12:55:44 PM
Nice... yeah, Josh does seem kind of a dick...  Guess I'll be waiting for batch 3....

On another note, anyone know where to buy some descent FPGA boards at a good price?

I'm desperate to get any kind of mining rig up and running
legendary
Activity: 1190
March 13, 2013, 11:09:39 AM
To the OP:
Buy Avalon if you want an ASIC mining device.
Buy BFL if you want to want an ASIC mining device.
Activity: 896
Merit: 532
Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum
March 13, 2013, 10:20:39 AM

By the way, my armchair for 15 years has looked over a Ph.D. in Engineering, and that chair is situated at Intel's packaging and assembly development division.

Just because I make wine, doesn't mean I'm an expert on Whiskey.  Especially whiskey that's still in it's bottle

Tongue
Activity: 1162
March 13, 2013, 05:34:32 AM
Go over the the 'BFL Fucks us Again' thread and read Josh's rant.

That should tell you all you need to know about the professionalism of BFL

It seems Inaba (= Josh, the official BFL representative) deleted his posting. But it lives on in peoples quotes Wink

Like in this post:

Quote from: BFL_Josh;17901
I love the armchair engineers that make strong technical pronouncements on the basis of fuzzy/blurry, pixelated images of an object that measures 11mm x 11mm taken with a camera phone.  Especially pronouncements made by engineers that can't tell a reflection from a piece of underfill or who define jpeg artifacting as chipped cores. Or ones who can't tell triangles from squares or circles!

Oh Burn!  You really got me there Josh!  I'm totally stung by you.

By the way, my armchair for 15 years has looked over a Ph.D. in Engineering, and that chair is situated at Intel's packaging and assembly development division.  I've worked a senior engineer on every aspect of those activities for 856 to 1274 today.

To explain what that means in terms you are bright enough to understand:
  • I know about semiconductor manufacturing 100x what you do about making up imaginary schedules
  • I know about semiconductor manufacturing nearly 10x what you know about being a douchebag on the internet

Wow, you must really be a good cock sucker then.  Any engineer that can't tell a reflection from underfill or underfill from epoxy isn't worth much more than a buck fifty blow job.  Congrats on your abilities.  I would say you are quite possibly the crappiest "engineer" on the planet, given those facts.  Did that PhD come out of a crack jack box?

Next time you're under that table, keeping your job, watch the teeth.

Stay classy Josh.

This is how BFL/Josh talks to customers and prospective clients.
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
March 13, 2013, 12:44:09 AM
Go over the the 'BFL Fucks us Again' thread and read Josh's rant.

That should tell you all you need to know about the professionalism of BFL
March 12, 2013, 10:56:36 PM
BFL is already five months late and there's still no guarantee that they'll ship anything soon or that they'll meet their stated(estimated) specs if and when they do eventually ship. When they do begin shipping their backlog will ensure that an order placed now will not be delivered for many months. Meanwhile Avalon has made it abundantly clear that they're capable of designing and delivering a working product on schedule despite beginning long after BFL had already announced their products.

BFL is also in clear violation of FTC prompt delivery regulations, so the risk that they will be shut down at some point must be weighed with any decision.

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/alt051-selling-internet-prompt-delivery-rules

Pages:
Jump to: