Pages:
Author

Topic: BFL or Avalon - page 5. (Read 6155 times)

Activity: 379
Merit: 250
March 12, 2013, 10:29:23 PM
I'm waiting for the Avalon batch #3 open.
BFL must have lots of orders. I believe it'll be shipped in 2014 if I just order right now.
BFL has batches 2 and 3 of their chips moving down the same process as batch 1, but now they know what timelines to expect. I'm expecting a good 4-5 months after they start shipping before they're all caught up.

You really think Avalon will ship batch 2, open batch 3, and ship batch 3 in the next 5 months?

For BFL, it will ship, but time relies on the order numbers and production capacity. So 4-5 months, I'm not so optimistic.
For Avalon, batch #1 seems successful, I know some guys have got it and start mining happily. I think Avalon will keep going.
The best thing is that more vendors can provide ASIC.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
March 12, 2013, 09:44:21 PM
BFL must have lots of orders. I believe it'll be shipped in 2014 if I just order right now.
BFL has batches 2 and 3 of their chips moving down the same process as batch 1, but now they know what timelines to expect. I'm expecting a good 4-5 months after they start shipping before they're all caught up.

You really think Avalon will ship batch 2, open batch 3, and ship batch 3 in the next 5 months?
Activity: 379
March 12, 2013, 09:36:02 PM
Activity: 272
Cryptopreneur
March 12, 2013, 06:54:03 PM
I would hold off if i were you. Let some units ship and hash to see if there are any serious flaws. It's too late in the game to try to get the early jump. Avalons are already shipping but have limited units, and BFL has an endless order que and nothing has been released yet. Oh how i miss the peaceful GPU days.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
March 12, 2013, 06:11:13 PM
Looking at this from a logical standpoint,BFL seems to currently have the edge if they can get their technical stuff going.However,I would caution anyone from buying vaporware.I think the business practice of how the current ASIC offerings are leaving little to be desired.
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
March 12, 2013, 06:01:44 PM
I canceled my BFL order and used my refund
Avalon has explicitly stated they will not be offering any refunds, whatsoever. BFL has been and still is honoring all refunds. +1 BFL

BFL has not shipped any products yet. Avalon has. +1 Avalon

Avalon uses ~600W. BFL is set to use 1/10th of that. +1 BFL

BFL requires a PC to plug them in and mine. Avalon is standalone. +1 Avalon

I have several orders with BFL, and plan on getting many more.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
DigiByte Founder
March 12, 2013, 05:57:55 PM
Competition in the market place Smiley
Activity: 91
Merit: 10
March 12, 2013, 05:53:31 PM
If you are just looking to help protect Bitcoin and its future I would buy one from each company. That's my plan down the road when they have a week turn around time on orders.
No offence, but why would any sane person order an Avalon by the time BFL has a turn around of one week? We're looking at a power consumption difference of almost 600 watts. You'd basically be throwing away ~430kWh of electricity each month by choosing to run an Avalon instead of a BFL Single SC...
Activity: 148
Merit: 102
March 12, 2013, 05:46:32 PM
Nobody knows for sure. I would guess BFL. I think they will be able to pump out more devices just due to the size of the devices.

This of course depends on the chips not having problems and actually releasing sometime soon.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
DigiByte Founder
March 12, 2013, 05:42:11 PM
I canceled my BFL order and used my refund to buy BTC back when it was in the mid 20's... already doubled my money in a month and a half. Chances are if you used the funds that you would use to invest in ASIC hardware you could double your money by the time they ship.... that is of course if profit is your end goal. If you are just looking to help protect Bitcoin and its future I would buy one from each company. That's my plan down the road when they have a week turn around time on orders.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
March 12, 2013, 05:39:13 PM
Look for more competition.I believe there is a mention of other solutions coming out.
Activity: 46
Merit: 0
March 12, 2013, 05:35:52 PM
It seems these are the only two players in the ASIC market at the moment... That being said, which one do you think will ship new orders first?

I'm considering getting one of these, but not sure which might actually get here in a sane ammount of time.. BFL says new orders will ship in June, but with them missing so many self-imposed dealines already, I'm considering going with avalon...

Comments? Thoughts? Open to all input...

Thanks
Pages:
Jump to: