Pages:
Author

Topic: {BFL} Why The Monarch Might Just Work - page 3. (Read 5990 times)

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
August 19, 2013, 12:32:59 PM
Are people really considering this? You never got your preorder, so roll it over into the new preorder? lol...

There are some really stupid people here.

or just insane.

“Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
Albert Einstein
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
WTF???
August 19, 2013, 10:04:52 AM
Are people really considering this? You never got your preorder, so roll it over into the new preorder? lol...

There are some really stupid people here.
Activity: 504
Merit: 502
August 19, 2013, 09:36:15 AM
Any preorder from any manufacturer anywhere in the bitcoin universe is a roll of the dice when it comes to ROI. I understand people trying to compare a preorder with BFL or Avalon with a preorder from Apple, but surely everyone here knows going in that they are completely different. It would be nice if bitcoin was a mature system with mature manufacturing and distribution channels for ASIC hardware. But it isn't. You know that, I know that, we all know that. Any preorder in any bitcoin hardware is a gamble, pure and simple. Every company promises X hash at Y delivery date, and none of them ever comes close. Maybe someday someone will, but only time will tell.

ASICminer sells hardware on-hand, and does not take preorders. They do it right, but then everyone screams that their hardware will never make ROI. This is the state of bitcoin ASIC technology. You roll the dice on a pre-order or you buy something you can get in a few days at a price that will never achieve ROI.

I don't see the venting against BFL or any other manufacturer as very constructive, unless it has some therapeutic value. Blaming the dice when you crap out makes you a poor gambler.
Activity: 49
Merit: 0
August 19, 2013, 07:29:51 AM
Monarch huh? You know this guy is going to be turning up in two weeks(TM)

vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
August 19, 2013, 07:18:40 AM
it's funny because op is troll bait. say something good about bfl and BAM!!! 32 haters show up to scream bloody murder.  it's the anti-troll troll.

bravo. bravo.
I don't know how you could say anything good about BFL unless you won the early shipping lottery.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt for 1 year but no more.
Activity: 167
Merit: 100
August 19, 2013, 05:39:55 AM
For me there is really only one possible explanation.
BFL have direct access to advanced ancient alien technology.

They do -- the Persian who is currently in Gaul.
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
August 19, 2013, 04:49:45 AM
It might work, and the design is good. But I guess it is just a PCIe USB card with a lot of ASICs, heatsink and those cheap NVIDIA/AMD replacement fan. I heard something about a USB port too, so that suggests that the card uses USB internally.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
August 19, 2013, 03:50:45 AM
it's funny because op is troll bait. say something good about bfl and BAM!!! 32 haters show up to scream bloody murder.  it's the anti-troll troll.

bravo. bravo.
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001
August 19, 2013, 03:33:08 AM
they will package the impossible into a PCI/e GPU styled and sized device.

yeah, i noticed the pic of a gpu-like looking card.  what is that all about?
Alien technology.

For me there is really only one possible explanation.

BFL have direct access to advanced ancient alien technology.

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003
August 19, 2013, 03:09:25 AM
Can more people ignore me?

I want to know if I can get to black?

Inaba assures me all the time that I have nothing important to say. I promise.
Activity: 238
August 19, 2013, 12:53:51 AM
Hey, what does it mean if someone's "ignore" word is backgrounded in yellow?  

Serious question; I am not wise in the ways of bitcointalk software.

The darker it is the more users that have that person on ignore.  I guess it's designed as a sort of "troll meter"?
I think there's a basic problem with "ignore," particularly if used on a genuine troll, as opposed to someone who holds views that are consistently opposed to one's own.  

It's kind of the opposite of an xml parser which didn't have a 'deep' option in its cloneNode:  here, you still get the troll's posts in the quoted replies.  A well written state machine could, in principle, "ignore" the responses to ignored posts as well.

And there's the problem:  sometimes, responses to trolls are more insightful than "Oh, yeah?  Well, feck you," and somebody might want to read them.  IMO, it's better just to let 'er buck.
How dark is my ignore button right now?

Color
#EEE8AA
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003
August 19, 2013, 12:50:27 AM

The darker it is the more users that have that person on ignore.  I guess it's designed as a sort of "troll meter"?
I think there's a basic problem with "ignore," particularly if used on a genuine troll, as opposed to someone who holds views that are consistently opposed to one's own.  

It's kind of the opposite of an xml parser which didn't have a 'deep' option in its cloneNode:  here, you still get the troll's posts in the quoted replies.  A well written state machine could, in principle, "ignore" the responses to ignored posts as well.

And there's the problem:  sometimes, responses to trolls are more insightful than "Oh, yeah?  Well, feck you," and somebody might want to read them.  IMO, it's better just to let 'er buck.
How dark is my ignore button right now?
August 19, 2013, 12:47:24 AM
they will package the impossible into a PCI/e GPU styled and sized device.

yeah, i noticed the pic of a gpu-like looking card.  what is that all about?

I first saw the pic in a hate thread and LOL'd as I thought it was a joke picture.
I ROFLMAO when I found out the device really has been announced and it's their official image, I mean shit, they aren't even trying anymore. They just slapped their logo onto a photo of a GPU and promised an insane $/GH ratio, knowing people will go for it out of sheer desperation
Activity: 529
Merit: 501
August 19, 2013, 12:33:23 AM
How can anybody possibly be insane enough to pre-order stuff when they still have not shipped stuff pre-ordered last year??

No more preorders !

P.S. I still have not received my Jalepenos.

Go ahead and piss your money away. You are free to do so.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
August 19, 2013, 12:26:51 AM
It is possible that Butterfly Labs is just licensing 28nm from someone who already has it.  And they're only alien because they're not American.
What part of "tapeout" would seem to contradict that?

The fact they are lying about the tape out? Evidence?
Activity: 346
August 18, 2013, 11:31:23 PM
I just don't see how they will be able to fit all that in a unit that looks like a graphics card. The KnCMiner Jupiter unit (28nm, 400GH/s, <1000W), and HashFast BabyJet (28nm, 400gh/s, claimed 400W) units are desktop sizes, and that is mostly to dissipate the heat with giant fans. The Jupiter unit will have 6 fans to cool 4 chips, and the Babyjet unit will be water cooled.  I highly doubt BFL will be able to accomplish that type of heat dissipation in a package that small. They are just going to stringing along new customers until they under deliver again and just break up the order into multiple units.

I'm still waiting on my 5GH/s order from March from BFL. I expect to get it late September/early October at current rate of shipping, at which point it'll just be a nice reminder of money I threw away, because it won't even get me ROI in a full year, and the sad part is, it was only $167 including shipping -_-'. Whats the point in having a unit that won't even make you $150 in an entire year? The least they could do is upgrade those late orders to 7GH/s for free, so there's at least a chance of ROI. They don't lose anything, all it is, is a firmware upgrade! No extra HW cost! Those bastards....

Anyway...

Ordered a Saturn unit (200GH/s) from KnCMiner for October delivery, I really hope they can bring back the faith in ASIC Mining companies (Looking at you BFL. Angry)
August 18, 2013, 11:21:17 PM

August 18, 2013, 11:11:26 PM

Lots of users ignore him.
Thank you.  And you as well, Mr. Hellfish.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1756
Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!
August 18, 2013, 11:03:45 PM

Pages:
Jump to: