Pages:
Author

Topic: {BFL} Why The Monarch Might Just Work - page 5. (Read 5990 times)

Activity: 122
Merit: 100
August 18, 2013, 01:49:00 PM
Sonny Vleisides is the BFL CEO and a convicted fraudster, having been involved in a lottery scam of 25 million dollars that was ran by his father.
BFL have sold more or less 3000 Single units and haven't shipped any orders later than early July 2012.

Having said that, trusting BFL with your hard earned money is a very foolish decision to make.

[edit : Removed "Little singles" from my list and rephrase]
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
August 18, 2013, 01:38:26 PM
Right now, they are in the tapeout process, so they are making some good progress.

I think I don't really go out on a limb if I call this "August tapeout" statement a lie.

Will have to see, they facetiously have, err..."Two Weeks TM" (© Zerlan 2012).
qwk
donator
Activity: 3542
Merit: 3413
Shitcoin Minimalist
August 18, 2013, 01:34:40 PM
Right now, they are in the tapeout process, so they are making some good progress.

I think I don't really go out on a limb if I call this "August tapeout" statement a lie.
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
August 18, 2013, 01:29:01 PM
People are complaining because they think that only the first people who ordered SC Singles will ever make a positive ROI. Wouldn't the same be true for these? The first people who buy these 2nd gen products will be the most profitable, but if you order 6 months from now (when they may or may not be shipping) you may or may not make a positive ROI?

If that's the case, why wouldn't people buy them now?

The people who bought Singles would have done far better had they bought Avalon, ASICMIner, or even BTC from MtGox.
So that is what people should do, learn from their mistakes and buy from someone else or just get BTC from MtGox.
The only way BFL will give you ROI in USD is if Bitcoin is worth 10x by the time they ship. So cut out the middleman and just get the BTC up front.
If it doesn't increase by 10x, you are better off not having a BFL order.
Activity: 742
August 18, 2013, 01:23:41 PM
People are complaining because they think that only the first people who ordered SC Singles will ever make a positive ROI. Wouldn't the same be true for these? The first people who buy these 2nd gen products will be the most profitable, but if you order 6 months from now (when they may or may not be shipping) you may or may not make a positive ROI?

Because BFL is too unreliable and they are very dishonest to their customers. There is a lot of competition in ASIC mining hardware right now, so folks have choices. Why would I want to tie up money in BFL for who knows how long when there will likely be better options available before BFL manages to ship?

If BFL manages to deliver a 600 GHs product in 2013 that only uses 350W of power for $4680, the Monarch is a slam dunk. Given BFLs history, I'd say they have about a 1% chance of doing that and this is simply another pre-order money grab to keep them from going belly up.

BFL still hasn't managed to ship all of their June 2012 orders yet! Read that statement a few more times and let it sink in...

legendary
Activity: 952
August 18, 2013, 01:05:54 PM

Activity: 602
August 18, 2013, 01:02:54 PM
i feel bad for OP for losing even MORE money
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
August 18, 2013, 01:01:31 PM
There is no way it will release on time and in that form factor.
I do not know simply. I mean it.
You sure?

only thing i say - that's VERY smart move and i'm glad this is projected at least.

No, of course I don't know "for sure". I'm just looking at their track record. They always over promise and under deliver. Not once have they come even close to their power estimations.

Hey maybe they will end up giving you 6 PCI cards each generating 100GH if they miss. 
Hope you have lots of spare chassis and lots of high capacity power supplies (assuming they are able to produce at all --- magic 8-ball is looking pretty negative).  To twist an  "investing" phrase - past failures is no guarantee for future success   Wink
Activity: 148
Merit: 102
August 18, 2013, 12:57:20 PM
You sure?

only thing i say - that's VERY smart move and i'm glad this is projected at least.

No, of course I don't know "for sure". I'm just looking at their track record. They always over promise and under deliver. Not once have they come even close to their power estimations.

EDIT: I do want to note that I think they make excellent hardware despite everything else. It is just frustrating that they can be so off from their pre-order estimates.
legendary
Activity: 1190
August 18, 2013, 12:57:16 PM
Activity: 147
August 18, 2013, 12:55:23 PM
well, design is not borrowed especially from amd. nvidia has similar designs too.

first - this is simply right design to build such things in general;
second - this is a publication of an idea an not production-look - design details will change 100%;
third - THIS seems to me the WAY TO GO regarding mining equipment in the perspective, IMHO.

in any case i'm very interested how this concept will continue.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
August 18, 2013, 12:50:33 PM
You know what else might just work ? Holding onto two live electrical wires whilst jumping into a vat of acid, hoping to acquire super-powers.

Or you could take a chance on this product.

Either choice is liable to cause you pain and suffering.

At least with one of the choices, sex is involved.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
August 18, 2013, 12:44:30 PM
You know what else might just work ? Holding onto two live electrical wires whilst jumping into a vat of acid, hoping to acquire super-powers.

Or you could take a chance on this product.

Either choice is liable to cause you pain and suffering.
Activity: 504
August 18, 2013, 12:44:26 PM
this will never happen.....  unless they buy someone elses chip.....  Shocked
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1756
Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!
August 18, 2013, 12:40:05 PM
Their card looks like a Radeon reference design photoshop; I wonder what kind of involvement AMD has in the project.

Other than having their design borrowed, exactly 0% chance AMD has anything to do with this at all.
Activity: 147
August 18, 2013, 12:35:47 PM
Yes.

I believe Butterfly Labs have stepped back and looked at where most of their original income (and associated vocal discontent) has come from;
Miners that gave up their rigs and possibly still mine their cards on Alt-coins.
They have the infrastructure in place w.r.t. the rigs themseleves.
Yes.

You sure?

Activity: 630
August 18, 2013, 12:34:34 PM
I think most April 2013 and later orders (the ones that have to pay the 10% extra) will kick the can forward to this new "vapor" device, with the chance of being one of the first to get the the next gen product they will at least have some remote possibility of seeing ROI . Their card looks like a Radeon reference design photoshop; I wonder what kind of involvement AMD has in the project.
Activity: 148
Merit: 102
August 18, 2013, 12:25:21 PM
Activity: 532
August 18, 2013, 12:16:51 PM
I believe Butterfly Labs have stepped back and looked at where most of their original income (and associated vocal discontent) has come from;

Miners that gave up their rigs and possibly still mine their cards on Alt-coins.

They have the infrastructure in place w.r.t. the rigs themseleves.

They feel, and quite rightly have been the most hard done by, largely as they paid in Bitcoins, thus have lost  out on equivalent fiat value due to subsequent market activity. Their risk admittedly, but the time involved was significant, and never meant to reach March, let alone September. Likewise they've had no means of consumer protection by that chosen payment method, so are effectively locked in by their payment choice for a pre-order, unlike others who are gradually realising they can't be held hostage despite BFL's demands.

The answer is to match the leading competitors promise and offer a means that incorporates the equipment they have to hand. Equipment that everyone owns, and is widely distributed and is nostalgic to the community.

However with BFL's track record of cooling issues, and under performance, my gut instinct is that these will be problems revisited, or the performance specs will have to be drastically reduced to compensate.
vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
August 18, 2013, 12:14:52 PM
they will package the impossible into a PCI/e GPU styled and sized device.

yeah, i noticed the pic of a gpu-like looking card.  what is that all about?
Alien technology.
Pages:
Jump to: